Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Pricing Not Likely To Be Announced Until Almost May 2019

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:38 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

OK, playing with the calculator and the numbers I observed in my previous post, the # of Corvettes Chevy can expect to sell in a year follows this simple formula: Units= 38.7M/ (price/$10000)**3.7.

The numbers come out pretty close if you use this formula. (It probably works for Audi's and Ferrari sports cars too.) Unit sales are inversely proportional to the sales price to the 3.7 power. That means cars that sell for much over $135,000 dollars sell in very small volumes to very wealthy people. This is not a market GM is particularly interested in.

For example: $65,000 average price for a 1st year Stingray Z51: Units= 38.7M / (6.5)**3.7, Units= 38012

For a Z06: $90,000 average price for the 1st year Doberman: Units=38.7M / (9.0)**3.7, Units= 11402

For a ZR1: $135,000 average price for the 1st year Big Dog: Units=38.7M / (13.5)**3.7, Units= 2543

One other caveat - after the first year, the numerator falls by about 13% EACH YEAR the car is in production. That means by Year 5, you can expect to sell 50% of all models of what you sold in Year 1. That, dear friends is today's lesson in economics, price elasticity and why the MY2020 Corvette will be a brand new C8. That is the only way to keep Bowling Green open and profitable.
The following 3 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
Jeffer (10-20-2018), Michael A (10-20-2018), TXvert (10-20-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 11:10 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Agreed.
A whole lot of folks around here are going to be eating crow.
Crow-eaters, please bookmark this post so I can say I told ya so in the future.
Yup, just like when they said the Z51 will be eliminated with the introduction of the GS. This is why I don't take much stock in what people say around here when it comes to speculating about future models, most have no idea what is going on in GM's heads and are pure guesses.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by ACCHRM
GM doesn't really have a problem with the build quality on the Camaro, it's at least the best out of Ford and Dodge, the problem as you mentioned is visibility. Like the Corvette, they need to COMPLETELY redesign for next 7th gen and move away from that 1st gen look. I'd be happy if they make a usable 4 seater with similar sleek and low lines like the 4th gen. No need to turn the Camaro into the next ugly-*** Challenger. Some people will be hurt, but they will attract a lot more buyers. Look at what Ford is doing with the Mustang, they sell a **** ton of them to non-car people, women and insurance companies. 5th gen Camaro used to crush Mustang sales, but Ford realized what they were doing wrong. - Coming from a 2018 Camaro owner.
So true. I test drove a Camaro and it was obvious why sales are poor, and engineering has nothing to do with it. It's crazy how the Camaro's wheelbase is longer than that of my ATS, yet the Camaro has no room to stow a smartphone and a tinier back seat.

I understand the design team started out by asking 5th gen Camaro owners if poor visibility was a problem. Of course they said it wasn't a deal-breaker - they were the few customers who didn't care! So Chevy doubled-down on impracticality and now the Camaro is on its way to termination. Also, it's over-the-top hyper-aggro design is terribly juvenile. Very few woman want a Camaro and even though it can out handle a BMW 2 series, no way would anyone interested in the style of the BMW even think about driving a car like the Camaro.

The Camaro is simply a car that has no customer base. The Vette already serves those who want a no-compromises sports car, and those on a budget can buy used. IMO they should differentiate the Camaro from it with an AWD option and aim it directly at BMW 2 and 4 series coupes. Keep a few track-oriented 1LE models, but aim the rest of them squarely at adults who want a sporty all seasons daily driver at a moderate price.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-17-2018 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
So true. I test drove a Camaro and it was obvious why sales are poor, and engineering has nothing to do with it. It's crazy how the Camaro's wheelbase is longer than that of my ATS, yet the Camaro has no room to stow a smartphone and a tinier back seat.

I understand the design team started out by asking 5th gen Camaro owners if poor visibility was a problem. Of course they said it wasn't a deal-breaker - they were the few customers who didn't care! So Chevy doubled-down on impracticality and now the Camaro is on its way to termination. Also, it's over-the-top hyper-aggro design is terribly juvenile. Very few woman want a Camaro and even though it can out handle a BMW 2 series, no way would anyone interested in the style of the BMW even think about driving a car like the Camaro.

The Camaro is simply a car that has no customer base. The Vette already serves those who want a no-compromises sports car, and those on a budget can buy used. IMO they should differentiate the Camaro from it with an AWD option and aim it directly at BMW 2 and 4 series coupes. Keep a few track-oriented 1LE models, but aim the rest of them squarely at adults who want a sporty all seasons daily driver at a moderate price.
I feel sorry for the engineering team for the Camaro, because the Camaro design and marketing teams have lost their minds. Transformers and Hot Wheels Editions? Really? How old do they think the buyers are, 10 years old? They just have no common sense. They didn't address the visibility in the 6th gen either. They didn't have to turn it into a BMW 2002, but at least make some improvement. Meanwhile, the engineering team has created one of the best handling, best driving, and best performing cars in the world. Even being nose heavy, the Camaro ZL1 can put down 650 HP to the rear wheels. Impressive! Yet, for 2019, the design team thought it was good idea to put a pickup truck front end on the SS. (face palm)

Last edited by Michael A; 10-20-2018 at 12:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael A:
jimmyb (11-06-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-20-2018)

Quick Reply: C8 Pricing Not Likely To Be Announced Until Almost May 2019