Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more scoop

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 01:59 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

It seems that McLaren appeals to the younger crowd. Every McLaren I see on social media or in person is being driven by someone who looks to be under 40, closer to 30. I think that they make really good looking cars. Their only controversial cars are those that take function over form, yet I appreciate the hard work that went into those high-function designs.

also, F1 GT
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

For those thinking that the "roof scoop" is not functional, it is literally the best design for getting intake charge to your engine in a mid engine chassis design. It is also in the path of undisturbed air resulting in a ram air effect, literally acting like mild boost at speed. Also anyone driving a Corvette commenting on McLaren build quality should maybe get out of their lay-z-boy put on some pants and head to a dealer just to look at one of these things, they are literally built to perfectionist standards, and the paint is smooth as glass.

This is why it is hard to take a lot of the commenters on this board seriously, simply saying you don't like the look of something is one thing, but insinuating that a brand like McLaren has shoddy build quality just shows how out of touch with reality you are. That said I will likely never own a McLaren due to cost, but I damn well appreciate them for what they are, especially as they are the last super car manufacturer that isn't selling out and building cross overs to meet some arbitrary bottom line because it would dilute the purity of their brand.

Last edited by Supermassive; 10-12-2018 at 02:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Supermassive:
Shaka (10-12-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 03:58 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Compression begins at 0.27 Mach on a standard day at sea level. That's 200mph. The math is linear till then because heat is generated instantly in compression rise which offsets the pressure advantage. Intake and airbox construction can negate this. Honda fooled their turbo pop off valve in Indy cars in the 90s by placing it in a low pressure cavity that they created in the plenum thereby raising the pressure in the rest of the chamber. It passed the scrutes inspection. The speeds reached in most race cars do not reach a 'Ram Air" condition. Also the air on top of the roof has an increased lamnar depth so the intake must be above that. A NACA duct is actually more efficient than a scoop in that area where separation begins.. .
Old 10-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Compression begins at 0.27 Mach on a standard day at sea level. That's 200mph. The math is linear till then because heat is generated instantly in compression rise which offsets the pressure advantage. Intake and airbox construction can negate this. Honda fooled their turbo pop off valve in Indy cars in the 90s by placing it in a low pressure cavity that they created in the plenum thereby raising the pressure in the rest of the chamber. It passed the scrutes inspection. The speeds reached in most race cars do not reach a 'Ram Air" condition. Also the air on top of the roof has an increased lamnar depth so the intake must be above that. A NACA duct is actually more efficient than a scoop in that area where separation begins.. .
Well I stand corrected then, why then would so many race cars place the intake over the roof then? I'm genuinely curious because I had heard or read somewhere that it had something to do with intake pressure. By laminar depth are you saying that due to the shape of the windshield/roof that air flow is increased over the hood at a certain height from the car? If so would that not effectively reduce the speeds required to induce a ram air effect?

Sorry for the questions just curious now.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Well I stand corrected then, why then would so many race cars place the intake over the roof then? I'm genuinely curious because I had heard or read somewhere that it had something to do with intake pressure. By laminar depth are you saying that due to the shape of the windshield/roof that air flow is increased over the hood at a certain height from the car? If so would that not effectively reduce the speeds required to induce a ram air effect?

Sorry for the questions just curious now.
If you look at the LMP car below, you will see that all the top surfaces are flat. That's the new thing in LeMans cars. A curved surface produces lift because air accelerates and looses pressure. This creates lift and greater downforce is required to oppose this lift. And lift + or - creates drag, more lift, more drag. Most of this drag is caused by separation of the air from the surface.or laminar flow turbulence. or boundary layer turbulence. This P51 and F16 place their intakes away from this turbulence as does this Lotus LMP car. High and low pressure is within ambient pressure. Roads and tracks are generally hotter than the air above it. Hotter air is lower pressure air. Intakes are placed in the coldest airflow possible with the highest pressure and where there is the least amount of boundary layer separation. There are various methods of re attaching this air with all kinds of clever devises that you see appearing on modern road cars. .

Supermassive (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Pagani Zonda Revolución, a track-only hypercar.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:29 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
For those thinking that the "roof scoop" is not functional, it is literally the best design for getting intake charge to your engine in a mid engine chassis design. It is also in the path of undisturbed air resulting in a ram air effect, literally acting like mild boost at speed. Also anyone driving a Corvette commenting on McLaren build quality should maybe get out of their lay-z-boy put on some pants and head to a dealer just to look at one of these things, they are literally built to perfectionist standards, and the paint is smooth as glass.

This is why it is hard to take a lot of the commenters on this board seriously, simply saying you don't like the look of something is one thing, but insinuating that a brand like McLaren has shoddy build quality just shows how out of touch with reality you are. That said I will likely never own a McLaren due to cost, but I damn well appreciate them for what they are, especially as they are the last super car manufacturer that isn't selling out and building cross overs to meet some arbitrary bottom line because it would dilute the purity of their brand.
Engineer, wouldn't have said what I said if there weren't merit to it.... can be implemented into the side scoops and be just as effective. (To an extent... you can play around with charge velocity for some effect but really you'd be tuning for a specific speed by doing that.)

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers... so read the following as me being annoyed and not any seriousness. It is a beautiful car... so without further delay....

I looked at that picture and have seen them in person. This is what I saw after about 5 seconds.

Corners on doors not even.

Door panel doesn't gap right and gets wider as it goes up.

Hood gap off. I'm about as perfectionist as it comes and if I paid that much for that it better be ******* perfect. But most people don't go over things the way I do. I'm not being a jerk. Seen em like this in person too. Not this particular model but still. And the panel gap on my 84 is a hell of a lot better than most of the C7s I see. But again, that was redone.

****, when I bought my jetski I hand picked the one I wanted because it was the only one that was perfect. Then it got keyed in a parking lot a week later and it bothers the **** out of me because it's the only thing wrong with it. And I didn't do it to it. I'll accept anything I do to it myself lol.

You know what? Maybe I'm just ****. Again, not being serious here, but I also can't afford pretty much anything that's been name dropped in this thread.... So that's why I build my own crap. And sometimes it works too lol.
rsvette12 (10-12-2018)
Old 10-12-2018, 08:32 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
This is how you do a roof scoop.
no ****, that works

Quick Reply: One more scoop