Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 04:38 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,107 Likes on 521 Posts

I don’t care what it looks like as long as it performs well. I have owned a C5 C6 and C7 and they each have good and bad features but each performed better than the last
The following users liked this post:
pickleseimer (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 06:29 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Looks a bit Camaro in the rear.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:31 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default From Mako to Whale... "It had to be ugly to be practical"

Originally Posted by Supermassive
The C8 has to make design concessions in order to be affordable and daily driven, those super low, long front ends on those examples would make zero sense on a car that is driven regularly on the street, and not just trailered to the local cars and coffee to compare ***** length and girth... I'd really hate to have to choose between something that is a necessity and some other cool option in order to meet a price that I budget for. The designers are taking this into consideration I'm sure, and that's why the front over hang is not as low or long as all of those examples...

I think they should be lauded as true pioneers of affordable mid engine, daily drivable, high performance automobiles that retain a design language that definitely resembles a Corvette. In fact I would go so far as to say that the people responsible for this design deserve public recognition, because it had to be one hell of a high pressure job to put on this team.
1. So. They had to make "design concessions" to make it streetable? Apparently the most important one was to make it really, REALLY ugly...

2. The designers are "pioneers?" Well, what they built looks like something you'd tow across the country behind oxen.

3. And what a high-pressure job!!! They had to resurrect the Aztek design vernacular and impose it on America's legendary sports car. Tough job. Thankless job.

4. That thing has as much Corvette design heritage in it as the Nissan Leaf.

If that 360 degree image is accurate, our great Corvette has gone from being a Mako Shark to a Whale Shark...

Last edited by IronV; 10-18-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
1. So. They had to make "design concessions" to make it streetable? Apparently the most important one was to make it really, REALLY ugly...

2. The designers are "pioneers?" Well, what they built looks like something you'd tow across the country behind oxen.

3. And what a high-pressure job!!! They had to resurrect the Aztek design vernacular and impose it on America's legendary sports car. Tough job. Thankless job.

4. That thing has as much Corvette design heritage in it as the Nissan Leaf.

If that 360 degree image is accurate, our great Corvette has gone from being a Mako Shark to a Whale Shark...

Now I know you are trolling...

If you are being 100% serious, I just can't even begin to know what would actually make you happy design wise, and what any manufacturer can design that can actually meet safety standards, livability standards, quality standards, performance of hyper exotics, with an interior covered in the hides of endangered animals, fit four sets of golf clubs, accept a trailer hitch, set a sub 2 second 0-60 time, run the Nurburgring in 5:00 minutes flat, emasculate the local Porsche bros, all while being priced less than a European family sedan.

How did you ever think any Corvette since the old Mako shark C3's looked good, since they are all chunky in comparison, with ever increasing weight and taller door sills. Hell how did you survive the unveiling of the C7 with it's Camaro taillights? I'm joshing you, but your view of this rendering, is literally mind boggling. Now I've gone and spent time feeding you...and I feel a bit dirty for the effort.
CorvettoBrando (10-22-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:30 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default What would make me "happy?" Elegant, inspired design...

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Now I know you are trolling...

If you are being 100% serious, I just can't even begin to know what would actually make you happy design wise,
ANY of these would be INFINITELY preferable to that fat, busy, bloated, gaping-mouthed, abomination...

.. That
Old 10-18-2018, 10:58 PM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

I don't understand people arguing about what looks better when it's a personal preference.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:12 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Good point!

Originally Posted by kingpin111
I don't understand people arguing about what looks better when it's a personal preference.
Except in this case, I'm right
Old 10-18-2018, 11:55 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 654 Likes on 473 Posts

I think this car would really benefit from wraparound rear glass. Those C-pillars add considerable visual weight to an already tail-heavy design, and are disappointingly conformist for a car that should stand out as unmistakably "Corvette."

From the looks of the shut lines, they appear not even to do anything, like the C7.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

That's why they call it a "forum."

And as new information emerges on the design and details of the C8, I am prompted to offer comment.

I think that anyone repeating their optimism over and over about the design of the new Corvette--despite the obvious--is far more annoying than my take grounded in REALITY.

That is one ugly *****. And I'm one passionate Corvette and American car lover that is moving quickly from "disappointed" to "royally pissed off."

How ANYBODY on the professional design team thought that was attractive is beyond comprehension.
So anyone that disagrees with you is not "grounded in reality?" If you hate the car so much and are convinced it is ugly and that GM has failed, what are you still posting for? Are you trying to convince people who like it that they are wrong and you are right? And when he car is released and it proves to be a nice design (hopefully), will you continue to **** on everyone's Cheerios in perpetuity?

I find this numbskull behavior fascinating.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:22 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default I apologize for having an opinion that differs from yours...

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
So anyone that disagrees with you is not "grounded in reality?" If you hate the car so much and are convinced it is ugly and that GM has failed, what are you still posting for? Are you trying to convince people who like it that they are wrong and you are right? And when he car is released and it proves to be a nice design (hopefully), will you continue to **** on everyone's Cheerios in perpetuity?

I find this numbskull behavior fascinating.
Agree or disagree. Love or hate the design--State your reasons and thinking.

That's why a forum exists.

And the repetition of my opinion is no more "annoying" or "irritating" than the repetition of anyone else's. IN MY OPINION, GM is treading close to another Aztek design debacle. I could be way wrong.

I thought they'd screwed the pooch with the boring (but not ugly) C4 and C5. I was wrong. But I sure wasn't wrong about the Aztek--which I was able to preview professionally and was astounded at its incompetence.

Last edited by IronV; 10-19-2018 at 01:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:32 AM
kingpin111
Race Director

Received 102 Likes on 59 Posts

Except in this case, I'm right

IronV (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:37 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Except in this case, I'm right:)
Agree or disagree. Love or hate the design--State your reasons and thinking.

That's why a forum exists.

And the repetition of my opinion is no more "annoying" or "irritating" than the repetition of anyone else's. IN MY OPINION, GM is treading close to another Aztek design debacle. I could be way wrong.

I thought they'd screwed the pooch with the boring (but not ugly) C4 and C5. I was wrong. But I sure wasn't wrong about the Aztek--which I was able to preview professionally and was astounded at its incompetence.
OH... so NOW it's an opinion. You flip more than that giant Cheeto in the White House.

Seriously, I don't think you can truly judge the car at this point. I had my doubts about the C7 but the when finally revealed it was stunning. Try being patient and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.....or just continue to be that annoying fly at picnic.
CorvettoBrando (10-22-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 02:57 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default reality vs hope... again.

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
OH... so NOW it's an opinion. You flip more than that giant Cheeto in the White House.

Seriously, I don't think you can truly judge the car at this point. I had my doubts about the C7 but the when finally revealed it was stunning. Try being patient and maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.....or just continue to be that annoying fly at picnic.
1. Go back and reread my posts. Unlike yourself, I state my strong opinions but don't lower myself to make ad hominem attacks.

2. I have REPEATEDLY expressed concern that many members of the forum were expressing an exaggerated and overly optimistic opinion about the general shape and design direction of the C8. While we have enjoyed many wonderful renders produced by talented members, they were all suggesting a sexy, streamlined design that was not supported by photos of the actual car.

3. The design of the real car continues to reveal itself. And that design--whether you love it or hate it--is a far cry from the swoopy, sexy renders on these pages. It is, in fact, more blunt, more corpulent and has a huge, vertical mouth. THAT is what I meant by "reality."

4. Again. You may love the design depicted in the 360 degree render. But it is not the direction suggested by most of the renders enjoyed and applauded by many folks in this forum.

5. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there is a vast chasm in the basic design elements and proportions of these two renders--one sleek and shapely, the other blunt and corpulent:

Last edited by IronV; 10-19-2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 04:03 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
How do I block them? I have looked and don't see the option. His is one of several that I would love to block. And I'm sure some would love to block mine as well.

On the red banner at the top there’s an option called “user CP” (User control panel). Click on that. Down the left side will be a link for “Settings & Options.” Click that. Then choose update ignore list (something like that.) Add the member’s name to the list space and save it. Done.

If a Member is simply repeating the same negative comment over and over and over, he’s trolling for a reaction. Nothing more. Especially if the comment is an undefinable opinion that can just be circularly repeated with zero effort. If this annoys you, simply block him and your forum experience will be more enjoyable.
The following 3 users liked this post by vettebuyer6369:
CorvettoBrando (10-22-2018), IronV (10-19-2018), Rapid Fred (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 06:50 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Can't we all agree that the Aztek was one UGLY car?

Assuming that we can agree to its ugliness, then we must be able to admit that there is such a thing as objective and definable beauty.

Is it so hard to agree that whatever the definition of objective automotive beauty is, there is no way that certain designs will ever meet it?

I think that this is IronV's point. And, perhaps, since his business is design, maybe we should cut him some slack?

After all, one would have thought that someone at GM would have killed the Aztek before it reached production, but NO!
IronV (10-19-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Well done on the 360° of the C8 with what ya had to go off of.

Most of us get IronV point, he doesn't like most of the renders that have been done, fair enough. His condescending petulant approach to sharing that opinion in every thread is very tiresome. As he said, except in this case I'm right, which in his mind is all it's apparently about.

PC
VETTE-NV (10-23-2018)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

I think IronV's issue is fine, but I think his expectations aren't tempered in reality. The renders he keeps throwing around are literally impossible designs to live with...that red ones proportions would make it about 80 inches wide and longer than an Aventador. The other one with a droopy nose nearly scraping on the ground lools like an overlay on the Lamborghini Sesto Elemento another car that is about as practical as an LMP prototype racecar on public roads. Then there is the OG mid engined Corvette concept...the design is classic but would look ridiculous on a new car when all of the competition is putting out designs that push the envelope of aesthetic functionality.

Its ok to be inspired by classical design elements, but to just get hung up on a particular design language is missing the point. I don't believe that the C8 will have a gaping hole right in the middle of the front fascia due to the prototypes running around with that area filled in, it also makes no aerodynamic sense as they would have to have hood vents to allow that air to escape...which we see no evidence of.

The Aztec is an ugly vehicle but people that own them swear that they were super practical...I don't get it, but hey some people buy cars as appliances...that said I don't think it is physically possible to get high enough to compare the render to an Aztec, that is just being overly dramatic. I see inspiration from the NSX, 570S, C7, and some stuff that is truly unique. I know some people think the NSX is ugly due to the aggressive Acura nose treatment (beak) but the car is definitely an attractive automobile even if it is lack luster in the soul department.

I can't change IronV's mind nor do I care to, but I do find it interesting that he and others have had strong negative reactions...I guess its like music, I consider myself pretty open to new music...but I absolutely hate country music, and AC/DC (gonna get some people riled up over that .

I think the thing we should all agree on is that this 3D render is so far the best representation we have of the prototype that actually exists, I would like to se the OP address the front end so that it shows the finer details of the nose but that is just my personal wishes.

Get notified of new replies

To Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette

Old 10-19-2018, 09:04 AM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

For the most part I like it and appreciate that the OP took the time to do the 360 render. I think that most will agree that the biggest point of contention and disagreement around here is the final design and location of the side scoops/ air inlets.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

That render is way off from from even spy shots. It should be used to judge nothing.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 555ctsv
Sorry for being crabby at IronV this morning, there will be no blocking, I'll go back to lurking until this car is actually announced

maga!!
As the resident crabby here (CRABBYJ) I thought i’d make at least one post today in this thread about the 360 render. It is a good effort but now looking specifically at what concerns IronV I agree it does miss the mark astetically and off on critical proportions that make iconic sports cars classics, the “Golden Ratio”. I’ve posted elsewhere in CF about this and reintroduce it here again.

In general, the below picture is self explanatory with close review, especially the height of the front edge of the hood relative to the front wheel opening height. Even compared to the C7 too. Bottom line, from what I observe from looking at ME Camo pics, I think we will like what we see upon the reveal and I can’t wait.

The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
IronV (10-19-2018), Shaka (10-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Full 360° render of the C8 Corvette