Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All of the renders are wrong about one thing..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 04:15 PM
2015GTRBE
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts
Default All of the renders are wrong about one thing..

the headlights... they won’t be shaped like that. You need to look more at the C8R photos and you can see the true shape. The renders looks blob eyed, way too horizontal and rounded. The headlights on the ring are also not the finished product whatsoever. That is a good thing, the renders I’ve seen look odd because the camo cars look odd too. We are missing details in the rear quarters, there is no way it will look so long and odd. I could see a carbon blade or cut line somewhere between the wheel opening and the inlet. The rear unfortunately will remain fairly ugly however I don’t think we will be getting huge wrap around lights, I think they will be used for venting and possibly use slim led on the upper part and venting on the lower etc. GM is showing you want they want to show you purposefully so keep that in mind. There is no way this car will end up looking less chiseled and svelte as the current C7 which is find to be the best looking Corvette to date minus the taillights, rear bumper, and lazy design front headlights in the detail (not shape).

Just sayin..

quick sketch to get the idea of the design and honestly I’m at a loss with the side intakes... the design is awkward. Less wind tunnel, more art please. If you look at the camo pics and see the shadows you can see a very strange design going on there. Hopefully this ain’t it!

Last edited by 2015GTRBE; 10-22-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:48 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

hmmm...

We know that some of the cads leaked by ZERV were early and that some design or mechanical elements of the C8 have changed. The bumper above is the final design of something extremely close to it, and a forum member who saw the car, C7pimp, stated that the lights in the CAD drawings and in the renderings he helped create are accurate.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:07 PM
2015GTRBE
Advanced

Yes I see the cad images and NCM bumper and facia. I agree, those are final. I also believe that the photoshops around here, YouTube etc. are fairly close however the C8R shows the headlight shape truer to reality than the prototypes running around here and Germany. The rear lamps are a mystery to me and frankly I hate the shape of them, but I’m guessing that they won’t waste all of that real estate on just lights and incorporate vents in there.

I would be very let down if the overall design looked the way the renders look now. No offense to any of those guys, they did a great job in execution, but don’t look at the camo cars as 1:1 because I know the C8R actually gave us more clues than the road cars in full desguise have.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:04 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

My latest iso render follows the exact shape oh the headlamp bucket and Ali’s matches the CAD in that particular position and view.

the front view in my avatar also exactly follows the shape.

both are the same shape as seen on the C8R

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-21-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:09 AM
tslick98
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015GTRBE
the headlights... they won’t be shaped like that. You need to look more at the C8R photos and you can see the true shape. The renders looks blob eyed, way too horizontal and rounded. The headlights on the ring are also not the finished product whatsoever. That is a good thing, the renders I’ve seen look odd because the camo cars look odd too. We are missing details in the rear quarters, there is no way it will look so long and odd. I could see a carbon blade or cut line somewhere between the wheel opening and the inlet. The rear unfortunately will remain fairly ugly however I don’t think we will be getting huge wrap around lights, I think they will be used for venting and possibly use slim led on the upper part and venting on the lower etc. GM is showing you want they want to show you purposefully so keep that in mind. There is no way this car will end up looking less chiseled and svelte as the current C7 which is find to be the best looking Corvette to date minus the taillights, rear bumper, and lazy design front headlights in the detail (not shape).

Just sayin..

quick sketch to get the idea of the design and honestly I’m at a loss with the side intakes... the design is awkward. Less wind tunnel, more art please. If you look at the camo pics and see the shadows you can see a very strange design going on there. Hopefully this ain’t it!
I agree 100% with you on the headlights. To me it seems like what we see on the camo cars are a cluster of lights mounted on top of the OEM lights. They seem to be too high and flat across the front. Also, there is no lense cover on them which would make them even taller. Getting rid of the "cluster" of lights would allow for a sportier raked slope to the front. Just my opinion of what i see.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:10 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,760 Likes on 3,176 Posts

your sketch (side intake area) reminds me of an aventador. I actually like it. The rear has me concerned because outside of a few ridiculously high priced exotics (p1 720s Laferrari aventador and to a lesser degree the Huracan) the cheaper ones look that way... hoping they get it right so it doesnt detract from the rest of the car.

theres only so much that can be done with these ME cars. . Must be so challenging for these designers to stand out.

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 10-22-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:28 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by tslick98

I agree 100% with you on the headlights. To me it seems like what we see on the camo cars are a cluster of lights mounted on top of the OEM lights. They seem to be too high and flat across the front. Also, there is no lense cover on them which would make them even taller. Getting rid of the "cluster" of lights would allow for a sportier raked slope to the front. Just my opinion of what i see.
They're just cheap, temporary lights. Same with the rears. The production lights will have drastically different details, but the overall shape will stay the same.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:38 AM
2015GTRBE
Advanced

Originally Posted by tslick98

definately not production headlights used on the camo cars, however I was referencing the renders out there. I took the C8R images as a base, not the camo spy shots. I refuse to believe that GM would put out a new car that looks like a quasi Ferrari 360 Modena rip off 18 years later. The problem with the Corvette is always that it is always missing something, or has too much boy racer aesthetic. I wish they learned from Audi.

back to the point though, I’m confident the shape I sketched is the correct one. It won’t be as Beavis and butthead eyed as most of the renders show.

Last edited by 2015GTRBE; 10-22-2018 at 09:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jamesampm (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:13 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

This rendering is is built on top of a camo image and follows the headlight and tail light shapes exactly. It also matches the CAD image shapes exactly for the position and perspective. So in this pose, everything is the shape and proportions as we know them so far. To my eye they are pretty close to what you drew.

The final scoop shape is not known. This version shows an extended version that terminates at the door ledge. Similar to Lafrrrari and Aria.

I agree reed the final headlamp treatment for the actual lighting elements may be different than shown but if you look close, the bucket lamp surround is shaped to fit around the elements shown. So who knows. The tail light elements are not production and will be more dynamic.

[img]blob:https://www.corvetteforum.com/1cd781...5-97fb2dc43325

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-22-2018 at 10:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
elegant (10-23-2018), RapidC84B (10-22-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

FVS, as you already know I love your work:::: This is my demon but I can't believe there is a detail where a piece of material sits a 1/8 inch off the top of the door as in this side scoop- please correct me- I have not seen a detail like this on any other production car.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:49 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

The headlight shapes are easily seen in this view. FVS has the headlights correct. We have known the correct shape of the headlights for a long time.

Yes, some of the renderings floating around blatantly miss this and it really alters the look of the car.

Another feature that almost every rendering misses is that the line that extends from the headlight all the way across the fender and onto the upper part of the doors, underneath the side view mirrors. Most people connect the top/back line of the headlight to the fender/upper door line feature. This is NOT correct. The fender line feature connects to the front lower portion of the headlight. Missing this feature dramatically alters the sculpture of the car. Some renders even miss this sculpt line completely which makes the car look ultra-generic.

This view shows the importance of getting this feature correct on the renderings

Last edited by C7pimp; 10-22-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:02 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John T
FVS, as you already know I love your work:::: This is my demon but I can't believe there is a detail where a piece of material sits a 1/8 inch off the top of the door as in this side scoop- please correct me- I have not seen a detail like this on any other production car.
not sure exactly what you mean.

The scoop is not exactly what we will see in the final car. That I am sure if. It gives an idea but not specific details ablout the blending or trim. I am sure it will be “ right” and dynamic.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
This rendering is is built on top of a camo image and follows the headlight and tail light shapes exactly. It also matches the CAD image shapes exactly for the position and perspective. So in this pose, everything is the shape and proportions as we know them so far. To my eye they are pretty close to what you drew.

The final scoop shape is not known. This version shows an extended version that terminates at the door ledge. Similar to Lafrrrari and Aria.

I agree reed the final headlamp treatment for the actual lighting elements may be different than shown but if you look close, the bucket lamp surround is shaped to fit around the elements shown. So who knows. The tail light elements are not production and will be more dynamic.

Lovely render as usual but what an awful looking car. The hole on the side is too huge for say the 500hp car. There won't be intercooler/s. There is engine intake and gearbox oil cooler. The low pressure area at the back will negate the need for such an inlet. The 800hp car will need a big hole. The shelf at the bottom extends the higher pressure region flow but it can't be that far back. The front coolant and oil radiators will be OK for the 500hp car, but will have to exit the top of the hood for the 800 hp car. I bet they could move the hole front forward without changing anything. That could be the ultimate design deception.

deception.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:41 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shaka
Lovely render as usual but what an awful looking car. The hole on the side is too huge for say the 500hp car. There won't be intercooler/s. There is engine intake and gearbox oil cooler. The low pressure area at the back will negate the need for such an inlet. The 800hp car will need a big hole. The shelf at the bottom extends the higher pressure region flow but it can't be that far back. The front coolant and oil radiators will be OK for the 500hp car, but will have to exit the top of the hood for the 800 hp car. I bet they could move the hole front forward without changing anything. That could be the ultimate design deception.

deception.

no no doubt you are correct in your assessment but I will point out that the exact shape and size of the scoop are not known yet. There could be several versions to take your points into account. One thing we can tell, from the camo track videos, the scoop is taking a lot of air in based on the bulging of the fake panel.

did you notice on the CAD that the side intake seems to be split upper and lower?

Overall i think the little we know and based on my rendering, the basic shape and form put it in the ballpark with the 488 and some Mclarens as far as form goes.

Your thought about the nose being brought forward for a hi P.O. model is interesting and exactly what they did with the Pista.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-22-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:49 PM
2015GTRBE
Advanced

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

the headlights and certain details are missing the beveling and depth. They aren’t that long, it’s the beveling like the C8R and my sketch that is based off the C8R headlights. I’m still not a fan of the headlights, this car is being designed for wind tunnel efficient drag VS beauty.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:45 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

the headlights and certain details are missing the beveling and depth. They aren’t that long, it’s the beveling like the C8R and my sketch that is based off the C8R headlights. I’m still not a fan of the headlights, this car is being designed for wind tunnel efficient drag VS beauty.

ill post a close up of the overlay. The outline of the lamps can be seen clearly in the image. One reason I chose that particular photo. The angle makes them look longer. They are about the same size as the C7 s. Different shape.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

here is a close up where you can see the outline of the headlamp buckets. I placed the CAD images in the image to show the positioning and size match. Different perspectives but you can see how it fits together.

Also note the Frunk size which I outlined on the front image along with the outline of the headlamp.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-22-2018 at 09:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
elegant (10-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To All of the renders are wrong about one thing..

Quick Reply: All of the renders are wrong about one thing..