Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 already influencing the industry

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 04:59 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

1. If it's bigger than a 488, It's a 720s and V12 Lamborghini competitor, not a C8, 570s, Huracan, and R8 competitor.
2. Ferrari couldn't care less about the C8
3. Ferrari's build quality and material quality, as well as its dealership standards, all put any Ferrari product above almost all others. The exclusivity of Ferrari products, or at least the ones the general public sees, puts them even further above other brands and cars. As far as I know, you have to own a front-engine Ferrari to be able to walk into a dealer and buy a 488, and you have to a history of Ferrari ownership and be loyal to a dealer to get a Pista. Joe Shmoe down the street can't win the lottery and buy a 488 or an F12 TDF the next day, but he can drive on down to his local Chevy dealer and buy every allotment of Corvettes they have for the month if he so pleases.
4. Ferrari has been working on this car for at least three years, and the R&D for its powertrain started with the R&D of the LaFerrari. Corvette did not influence this Ferrari or any current Ferrari in any way.

The Corvette brand is the one being influenced by other brands, and is the one playing catch-up as they enter the supercar/exotic car game.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:18 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Aston Valhalla seems like a righteous name but could hurt sales. After all, any buyer would be dooming any of their offspring to Ragnarok if they didn't prove themselves worthy.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:55 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Everybody is dumping on the OP but there may be a grain of truth in there somewhere. The issue would be if Fiat and Ferrari are now working together on a tweener that marries Ferrari's technology and design legacy with the ability to mass-produce and deliver something along FIAT lines that might or might not be a much better version of that little ALFA sportscar. Probably under ALFA branding but that is wounded, I think -- could perhaps be ABARTH or, horrors, a return of the Dino.

Pure speculation on my part, but every Vette except for the 53-54 C1 pretty much killed everything in its price class when it came out -- and what, really, do the Italians have now in the Vette's space? Were they hoping to get there first and best?

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 10-22-2018 at 05:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vettedna (11-16-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcinla
Aston Valhalla seems like a righteous name but could hurt sales. After all, any buyer would be dooming any of their offspring to Ragnarok if they didn't prove themselves worthy.
Well, the Valkyries are the way to Vahalla... Ironically, Ragnarok is the potential name of an upcoming Koenigsegg to replace the Agera, but the leading Las Vegas exotic car rental, Royalty Exotics, is making a very limited production hypercar with the same name( Search Royalty Exotics Hypercar on youtube and and watch the series), and neither have a trademark yet.

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Everybody is dumping on the OP but there may be a grain of truth in there somewhere. The issue would be if Fiat and Ferrari are now working together on a tweener that marries Ferrari's technology and design legacy with the ability to mass-produce and deliver something along FIAT lines that might or might not be a much better version of that little ALFA sportscar. Probably under ALFA branding but that is wounded, I think -- could perhaps be ABARTH or, horrors, a return of the Dino.

Pure speculation on my part, but every Vette except for the 53-54 C1 pretty much killed everything in its price class when it came out -- and what, really, do the Italians have now in the Vette's space? Were they hoping to get there first and best?
There's no way that Ferrari would ever do anything or produce anything with Alfa or Fiat, aside from Ferrari making those two some carbon fiber or a nice engine(like the Quadrifoglio V6) for a high-performance, low volume car. It is in Alfa's gameplan to make more sports cars, but one will just be a two-door Gulia like an M4 and the other will be a hybrid 8C with loads of carbon fiber, likely costing upwards of $175,000. That's not to say that I don't think that Alfa should try to compete with Corvette, because they can, but it's not on their gameplan.
Old 10-22-2018, 06:45 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
What was the point of this thread? Please be specific in what is different and how exactly the C8 is influencing Ferrari. You have provided zero basis for your speculation so far.

the point of any thread is to pull on it until it unravels ! ; )

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-22-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 07:59 PM
twilhelm39
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 61 Posts

That Ferrari test mule looks bad a$$.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:28 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

the point of if any thread is to pull on it until it unravels ! ; )
This explains everything
Old 10-22-2018, 08:47 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Too many drugs in this world. Please lay off the crack pipe.
Old 10-22-2018, 08:53 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
1. If it's bigger than a 488, It's a 720s and V12 Lamborghini competitor, not a C8, 570s, Huracan, and R8 competitor.
2. Ferrari couldn't care less about the C8
3. Ferrari's build quality and material quality, as well as its dealership standards, all put any Ferrari product above almost all others. The exclusivity of Ferrari products, or at least the ones the general public sees, puts them even further above other brands and cars. As far as I know, you have to own a front-engine Ferrari to be able to walk into a dealer and buy a 488, and you have to a history of Ferrari ownership and be loyal to a dealer to get a Pista. Joe Shmoe down the street can't win the lottery and buy a 488 or an F12 TDF the next day, but he can drive on down to his local Chevy dealer and buy every allotment of Corvettes they have for the month if he so pleases.
4. Ferrari has been working on this car for at least three years, and the R&D for its powertrain started with the R&D of the LaFerrari. Corvette did not influence this Ferrari or any current Ferrari in any way.

The Corvette brand is the one being influenced by other brands, and is the one playing catch-up as they enter the supercar/exotic car game.
Their is no question that Ferrari builds a very nice car and that their hand-stitched leather interiors are among the best, however GM does not take second place to anyone from a technology standpoint, including Ferrari. Ferrari pays GM for a number of licensed features like magnetic shocks - but not the other way around. I think GM could build a Ferrari if it wanted to, but there is no way a company the size of Ferrari or McLaren could ever build a car like a Corvette and sell it (profitably) for under $100K. The level of mass production efficiency, automation and precision to be able to build 114 Corvettes a day and sell them profitably for well under $75K is well beyond Ferrari, McLaren and even Porsche. Even Mercedes struggles at it. It take MB three to five times the amount of touch labor per car to produce what GM and Toyota does routinely today.

A great book to read on the subject is The Machine that Changed the World. I had to read it for my MBA class and loved every page. It is a little dated now, but not that much has changed, except the big mfg.s have caught Toyota and in many ways surpassed them.
vettedna (11-16-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 09:06 PM
carriccp
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 283 Posts

I want some of what OP is smoking.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

I was at the race track today in my C6 and a kind gentleman let me zip his AR 4C around and what a fun car. Light really does make right!

I really hope they can trim some weight out of the C8.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:54 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
GM does not take second place to anyone from a technology standpoint. McLaren could ever build a car like a Corvette.
True, McLaren could not profitably build a car like the Corvette. This is true for many reasons. However, if you ever read about the technology that went into the design of the McLaren F1's suspension, you would realize that there is no way that GM could compete with its design. Maybe GM could copy it now, after the fact, but GM could never have done the initial design! After all, there is such a thing as F1 trickle down!
Old 10-22-2018, 10:00 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

did you think the 488 would stay around forever?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:43 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Even under all the tarp that Ferrari is one sexy car.
keagan (10-23-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 11:43 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I didn't realize that the car companies reused each other's camo. C8 camo off, Ferrari camo on.

Last edited by Michael A; 10-22-2018 at 11:43 PM.
firstvettesoon (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:50 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Dude, even Porsche is running scared now! They're developing a 2020 sports car with a rear engine, code named "992," in an effort to leapfrog GM's revolutionary mid engine platform technology:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...thing-we-know/

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-23-2018 at 09:54 AM.
vettedna (11-16-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:02 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Dude, even Porsche is running scared now! They're developing a 2020 sports car with a rear engine, code named "992," in an effort to leapfrog GM's revolutionary mid engine platform technology:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...thing-we-know/
... is that why they continue to make it look like a toad !

: 0

Get notified of new replies

To C8 already influencing the industry

Old 10-24-2018, 09:13 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts

Look at the Ferrari 812 Superfast - Corvette look alike?
Old 10-24-2018, 09:18 AM
C6ness
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 78 Posts

A few years ago I was in Las Vegas and did some laps in a Ferrari 430 scuderia at the exotic racing experience track. That car was amazing. Cornered like it was literally on rails. Sounded incredible. I would love to be able to afford a mid engine Ferrari for a track toy. If the mid engine corvette is just 90% of a mid engine Ferrari it will be an awesome car.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:43 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

The question is would GM want to. The McLaren Senna and the new Ford GT probably have the most sophisticated suspensions ever put into a road car, and they are derived, as you point out, from racing practice. They are also ungodly expensive to build and maintain. Maintenance, long-term, is a big question. No shade-tree mechanic will ever repair these things.

That said, GM has suspension design and modeling engineers are using comparable or better design and modeling tools than McLaren. I know for a fact that their CAD/CAM tools are MUCH better than what the Europeans are using because they use Unigraphics (UG, now called Siemens NX12) which has features that cannot presently be exported outside of the USA. Same goes for ABAQUS FEA and other tools. There is a great kinematic modeler called ADAMS CAR by MSC Software that McLaren, Bugatti and many European manufacturers use, but is an integral part of Siemens NX12. CATIA, (which I believe McLaren uses) is an very good CAD tool, but it still does not have the parametric solid modeling capability of UG, and it is usually translated to UG for CAM. UG has an integrated CAD / CAM architecture which has, IMHO, never been matched.

WRT to chassis layout and suspension design, F1 suspension designs are well understood by just about everyone - they are hard to hide. The same is true for Indy cars and endurance racing sports cars, which, through organizations like Pratt & Miller, Dallara, and Penske, GM has complete access to. GM may even have a complete model of the Senna suspension on a CAD tube today. Product designs are hard to hide, once they are released to the public - there is no stopping reverse engineering.

Manufacturing tools and processes. however, are still largely proprietary, because the companies that own them can carefully control the dissemination of information about them. It is easy to design something new that you can't economically build. It is much harder to design something that works just as well and that you can build for a profit. It is also possible to reverse engineer something that you like in a competitors product and figure out how to build it cheaper, relying on both superior CAM tools and scale. GM has both of these in abundance, which is how they can match McLaren or Ferrari performance at half (or less) of the cost.
Zaro Tundov (10-25-2018)

Quick Reply: C8 already influencing the industry