Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mid-Engine Corvette Concepts That Never Made It

Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,582 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by edved
It may look fugly now, but I saw this car in a blue color, or something very similar to it at the 1989 or '90 Detroit Auto Show and it looked amazing. Obviously long ago, but it seemed very cuting edge back then.
All in fun... as John Gruden famously remarked "Hindsight is 50/50" HUHH?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when the C3 came out as the Mako Shark, some pimply-faced pre-pubescent teen (me?) thought it was SO COOL. Later, a super cool version of (me?) though it was overwrought and cartoonish. The market seemed to agree, as prices went down the toilet. About 10 years ago, I was bored at work, and bought a '71 'vette off the internet sight unseen.

Now a slightly more portly version of (me) thinks the car is SO COOL. Every time I drive it, heads turn, and people give thumbs up. So many of the styling elements are on supercars today. Its every 15-yo kid's vision of what a real sports car should look like. Its all relative.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:38 PM
SHM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 2013 C6Z. And a GM Buying Power card. I'm waiting to see how the C8 turns out. I'd love them to make a car that can go head to head with the likes of a McLaren 570s, Audi R8, etc. I'm seeing what it'll be like in it's 3rd model year. I'm NOT the early adopter type for many reasons.

The problem with the Euro cars is the repairs are extremely expensive. Usually 3 to 10 times more than the Corvette. If I have to replace my transmission, the replacement cost is about $4500. No chump change. But, in those cars...prob looking at $15k to $20k or more. A coolant hose in my car is probably about $25. In a Euro super car, probably about $250...

So I'm hoping for the best with the C8. I know the first year will probably be a disaster as it's a completely new platform. I guess I'll have to see if it winds up destroying itself...It wouldn't be the first time a maker tried something new and had to discontinue it after a couple of years...Most super car companies have gone OOB at least once. Take Aston Martin, for example. I think they went OOB a few times...Porsche almost went OOB, too. Building these sorts of cars are super $$$ intensive...
Old 01-31-2019, 06:55 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso

Way ahead of its time but as usual GM did nothing with it. Corporate Conservatism and inbreeding really has always held GM back. Oh and btw it had a TT DOHC LT-5.
Sound familiar?
you had me at TT LT5 A nice fat 750 with room to grow way back when. I'll take that LT5 over the current platform with a pair of hair dryers on it and a nicely build sb4 that STARTS at 700+ and easily scales to 1500 or so, we have a winna. HP cures so many faults and for big top end it's a prerequisite. While that body is pretty slippery I can't say I like it much. The tech on the other hand was awesome Full lotus active handling and a fighter cockpit theme that eventually emerged in later designs for the interior (hmmm ZR1 c4 comes to mind)

that car has some pretty extensive "street creds" but alas was more over the top in price than GM had done before (or maybe since) for a concept car. Give me a few days with the old gal and I'll pretty it up Performance was a hoot!!
Old 01-31-2019, 08:43 AM
Ernest
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I love the aero and the targa.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mid-Engine Corvette Concepts That Never Made It