Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 PM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Yeah, we need to keep in mind that the race versions are always much wider to accommodate the coolers, drive line, wheels and tires. The street version, even a Z06 version, will be proportionately smaller at the rear quarters, including those scoops. And besides, it’s gotta fit in the traffic lane of an American roadway, and a Walmart parking space. ��
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (12-18-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 12:02 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
That C8.R is one bad-*** looking ****.

Maybe this will help you feel better.

I took the dead-on overlay rendering of the Ring street car and, without changing any proportions or shapes or sizes, added front canards, big wing, windshield vinyl wrap, V scoop and vented hood.

This "may be" what the z06 or ZR1 will look like. I did not widen the rear fenders or add the front wheel vents or lowered side skirts etc. Basically things after market suppliers could supply as add-on body kits.

not very dissimilar.

As for the widebody, I had commented that the current z06 is the width of the 488 pista and the R version of the Ferrari is not very different at all... if any in terms of size and proportions.

Note the substantial differences between z06 and c7R.

Note the much slighter difference between the 488 street and race car. No huge difference in body panels, width etc. This I believe is because the mid engine platforms are closer to race specs to begin with.

I am not talking body panel details like vents and flairs, but actual dimensions and proportions.

I believe there will be differences in the R vs 06 versions but less exaggerated and the zr1 variant will be a streetable version of the R car... at least as close as the Pista is to the GTB.

The Corvette race car looks like a re-bodied funny car version while the Ferrari body is essentially the same

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 12-19-2018 at 12:07 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
elegant (12-19-2018), Foosh (12-19-2018), Lotsacubes (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 01:46 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default not feeling better...

"Maybe this will help you feel better.

I took the dead-on overlay rendering of the Ring street car and, without changing any proportions or shapes or sizes, added front canards, big wing, windshield vinyl wrap, V scoop and vented hood.

This "may be" what the z06 or ZR1 will look like. I did not widen the rear fenders or add the front wheel vents or lowered side skirts etc. Basically things after market suppliers could supply as add-on body kits.

not very dissimilar.

As for the widebody, I had commented that the current z06 is the width of the 488 pista and the R version of the Ferrari is not very different at all... if any in terms of size and proportions.nNote the substantial differences between z06 and c7R..."

But thanks. I know it comes from a good place!

Last edited by IronV; 12-19-2018 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:00 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

As I have mentioned before, I think the primary determinant in the difference between the C8 versus the C8.R is that GM wants the base model to be a mid engine GT, with the attendant luggage capacity that the GT designation implies. This will be the first mid engine sports car that is attempting to be a GT.

In my view, this is a very stupid approach since the most important trait of a GT car is its benign handling at the limit, i.e. understeer. No matter how GM tunes the C8 suspension, it will ultimately oversteer.

So, because of this silliness, we get the plug ugly C8 instead of the well proportioned and beautiful C8.R.

The silver lining is that some of our forum participants, with purported inside knowledge, have stated that the track version of the C8, i.e. the Z06 / Grand Sport, will lose the ugly hopefully looking like the C8.R.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 12-19-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Shaka (12-20-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Tough room...

Old 12-19-2018, 10:45 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

"Maybe this will help you feel better.

not very dissimilar.

As for the widebody, I had commented that the current z06 is the width of the 488 pista and the R version of the Ferrari is not very different at all... if any in terms of size and proportions.nNote the substantial differences between z06 and c7R..."

​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
Old 12-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,213 Likes on 3,457 Posts

WoW! Waaaaaaaaaaaay too much free time!
Old 12-19-2018, 04:57 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Hey Everybody!

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Tough room...

We're all gonna get laid!

firstvettesoon (12-19-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:02 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

I like seeing the renderings please keep them coming ….I think its fun to look at these, thanks bob
The following 5 users liked this post by bobs77vet:
firstvettesoon (12-19-2018), IronV (12-19-2018), jdvann (12-19-2018), Shaka (12-20-2018), TSanders (12-19-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:06 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
Any chance the horse is gonna be OK?
​​​​​​​
IronV (12-21-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 04:22 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
No, you want GM to build a "supercar" to take on Porsche and the rest. GM want to continue the successful Corvette formula: deliver supercar performance at a price that's accessible to the upper half of the middle class.

For GM to change the formula and make the Corvette into a boutique car that sells at 1500/year would mean the death of the Corvette. It would be like the Ford GT...a marketing exercise that is meaningless to average car buyers because they can never actually own one. Furthermore, if GM wanted to build so few Corvettes then they wouldn't need a BGA expansion, would they? It would be cheaper for them to outsource production of a hand built car for billionaires with huge collections of cars that are rarely driven.
^^^This^^^ Vadge has said it multiple times, the Corvette will always be in reach of the Working Man. It's just part of the brand philosophy, period.

If you want a low volume, high-dollar Ubercar, you have many, many exclusive exotics to choose from - Cheverolet isn't interested In street cred, they are interested in turning a profit.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:29 AM
Dan_the_C5_Man
Le Mans Master

Received 444 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
It's possible that you're correct and that is part of the camo designed to fool the general public .

I do find that would be odd as I am sure that testing the C8R Pratt & Miller would want to have the true aerodynamic effects of the intake as they text and measure it's effects on everything from the intake abilty to properly cool the engine and brake and transaxle to drag it creates.

It does not make a lot of sense that Pratt & Miller would spend hundred of hours and tens of thousands of dollars in both a wind tunnel and on renting the track all the while knowing that the data they are gathering is faulty due to a design of the intake seen on the car is NOT the real design.

To me that makes no sense what so ever.
^^^This^^^ You saved me a lot of typing, thanks. I agree, scoops and other critical dimensions have a huge impact on cooling, drag, fuel economy, downforce and more.. I don't know why it is so difficult to believe these shapes are close to production.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:28 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
It's possible that you're correct and that is part of the camo designed to fool the general public .

I do find that would be odd as I am sure that testing the C8R Pratt & Miller would want to have the true aerodynamic effects of the intake as they text and measure it's effects on everything from the intake abilty to properly cool the engine and brake and transaxle to drag it creates.

It does not make a lot of sense that Pratt & Miller would spend hundred of hours and tens of thousands of dollars in both a wind tunnel and on renting the track all the while knowing that the data they are gathering is faulty due to a design of the intake seen on the car is NOT the real design.

To me that makes no sense what so ever.
You would think, but I do believe that side scoop is a decoy. It is so ugly, it has to be. Remember, the race car is detuned, I doubt it will have even 600hp and maybe 500 for LeMans. Also, the ducting for the various components is not compromised by accommodating a couple of sets of golf clubs in the race car. Also, it will be turbo charged and the placement of the intercoolers certainly won't be where the street car has them. There is already a scoop just before the rear wing for the xaxle which is the Xtrac sequential. Cross cut teeth run cool anyway so cooling needs aren't anywhere near the engine cooling requirements which are managed up front. Intake and intercoolers is what this scoop is for, maybe brakes. The various street cars will have different designs for ducting depending on engine options. P&M publish their CFD files eventually, but that will tell a huge story when we see them.

See scoop for xaxle

See the full attachment on the rear glass caused by the location of the wing.

C8R will address xaxle and engine oil and coolant look like this. The xaxle will be almost identical.

This ducting is from a CAD files. Each model will have different ducting depending on engine options.

Last edited by Shaka; 12-20-2018 at 09:33 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shaka:
elegant (12-20-2018), firstvettesoon (12-20-2018), IronV (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It doesn't make sense that what some are calling the C8R is the finished race car. It's way too early, and the pictures we're seeing have to be from very preliminary testing that will be utilized in designing the actual C8R configuration.

What makes more sense is that we're seeing a modified version of one of the street models that is being used to do some early testing of the "race engine," wing, and some other candidate components. I'm confident that the C8R that appears on the starting grid of the 2021 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona will look quite a bit different.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:53 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

I am in the process of reworking my model in Blender. Thanks to bdsvavars for the rough conversion. Lots of patches to fix still. Here is a rough work in progress.

The following 8 users liked this post by chazcron:
elegant (12-20-2018), firstvettesoon (12-20-2018), Foosh (12-20-2018), MrBrightside (12-20-2018), oregonsharkman (12-20-2018), RedDropTop (12-21-2018), tractman (12-21-2018), Wass (12-21-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-20-2018, 05:54 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by chazcron
I am in the process of reworking my model in Blender. Thanks to bdsvavars for the rough conversion. Lots of patches to fix still. Here is a rough work in progress.

Can't wait to see the finished look.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:18 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Nice Chaz, that's a really great looking body.

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Chazcron, you are a star

Originally Posted by chazcron

I don't necessarily like what I see emerging from your, FVS's and bdsvavrs projections. But you guys are STARS and great contributors to the Forum. The gift that keeps on giving.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:24 PM
TFen
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 88 Posts

Why even bother Chaz? Is it just for personal fulfillment or learning a new program at this point?

Bdsvavars already did one using a good rendering program, using a realistic scoop design. Why waste all this extra time when we already have a good render?
Old 12-20-2018, 08:04 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress