Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 01-22-2019, 01:28 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Blocking Pedantic Losers

Originally Posted by mammoth713
In all seriousness.. just add these pedantic losers to your ignore list in your forum "user control panel" or whatever it's called. It will hide their posts

It's a VERY USEFUL feature. Mine has at least 5 people on it lol
You can also hold your hands up to your ears and hum real loud.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 01:56 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default What Atari Prime said about the design and what I'm guessing...

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
First off I would like to say thank you to Chazcron for these renders. They are fantastic and are the best possible renders based on the available information. That said, does anyone else feel that the car we are getting just doesn't seem to make sense? The front bumper has a point, great, but is otherwise distinctly unCorvette in the height of the nose. And the overall proportions of the car are very boxy. Both of these elements have been talked about at considerable length. Most cars have a flow, a design aesthetic, that carries through from tip to tail. Ex: most cars that are icons. Some of the more unlucky ones, have one design aesthetic in the front but another in the rear. Ex: the Bently Continental, its front bumper and headlights are stylish and even a bit agressive, whereas its rear taillights are plain, boring, and possibly ugly. The C8 falls into neither of these. If anything the design seems to suffer from a lack of styling. The front kind of feels like an aero package added on to a Camaro. The rear feels like a bolder version of the C7 rear. The curve in the side hearkens back to neither the C7 or any prior generation. The rear window (possibly a false window) is distinctly small with Ferrari-like venting elements but also strange sharp angles. A car should be somewhat predictable. When you look at the front bumper you should be able to almost draw the entire rest of the car without seeing more than that bumper. Same for the rear. The C8 ends up feeling like that other gem that Tadge gave us, the Aztek, an incoherent mess that is remembered more as Walter White's failed life mobile than anything else.

So...ignoring whether the car looks Corvette enough, does anyone else feel that the design just doesn't seem to make sense?
In sum, what Atari is describing is a design that apparently lacks cohesiveness in the extreme. And what it suggests so far is a domino collapse of the design process itself. First was the failure of product leadership to maintain an ironclad commitment to design goals. Second was the failure to maintain an arm's length perspective sufficient to avoid getting lost in the weeds. And all that precipitated--either consciously or unconsciously--a surrender of the worst kind: to design by committee.

SOMETHING went sideways. And it went far enough sideways, long enough ago, that it became economically unviable to turn back.

Maybe once the wrap comes off, it will all come together. But I think the basic proportions and shapes Atari cites make that unlikely.

Last edited by IronV; 01-22-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Shaka (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:16 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
Hey Shaka, that line you drew to define the height of the front in relation to the tire pretty clearly hedges toward your argument, tricky man. lol. On the other hand I think the line from Chaz may hedge a bit toward his side of the argument, plus the small wheel and tire change. I have a sneaky suspicion that line actually falls somewhere in between, so in reality you are both sorta right! Lol. Half glass full guys.

PC
Hey Darion, Good eye. My original line is a little off as I eyeballed what the road level would be which is the same as the second red line between the wheels. The blue line is where my first red line should be but it is far from where Chaz draws it which is close the the top of the fender arch. I'm not considering the wheel in my argument. He brought that up as a last desperate attempt to rationalise his error.

The green line is a continuation of the front bumper line down the side of the car which favours his 'perspective'. Do you think he is really going to block me? Tell him I'll never do it again. Please.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:19 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by IronV
You can also hold your hands up to your ears and hum real loud.
Hey, behave yourself. I'll block you if you're not careful, OK?
IronV (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:20 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
The BMW 2 series was always going to be a compromise car. It was kind of a game of hey we want to get our cars to a wider audience so we need to make it smaller an cheaper. It kind of ended up looking like a cartoon. Throw a big engine in it though, and it got kinda peppy and fun. The Camaro...not much to say on that one. The Camaro has lost its way. The 2010 was pretty but almost every change made since that time has been for the worse. The Challenger on the other hand, I think that Dodge is doing a great job there. It still carries a solid retro design aesthetic and looks angry. It has carried the retro torch well.

I hope that GM is fooling us with the camo, it would be a welcome relief to see a cohesive design emerge. The C8R has some appeal, it should be fun to see how much camo is built into that design as well.
Quite right. Lets pray that the camo boys are the best.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
I
I wish that Shaka guy had relevant skills to match his massive ego -- I think he does have some sense of style and he is not intellectually stupid. It would be nice if he and Chaz could collaborate, but Shaka does not seem like the type of guy who works well with others. Shame...
Are you saying that my skills are sufficient to be able to collaborate with Chaz? I'm just a straight talker. Nobody has to guess what I'm thinking. Math and physics are God's natural laws. I talk natural like.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JoesC5
As an "old fart" owner of a "real' C2, I would not be caught driving Shaka's grotesque caricature. It's a design joke. Something out of a 10 year old's mind.
Well, I'm extremely immature so, when I design and build a car for myself, it reflects my nature. That should not be the focus of why I presented it. It's to help my best bud, Chaz, to get his act together. My advise is free. He will pay for it in kind when he takes it. QED.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:46 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Hey Darion, Good eye. My original line is a little off as I eyeballed what the road level would be which is the same as the second red line between the wheels. The blue line is where my first red line should be but it is far from where Chaz draws it which is close the the top of the fender arch. I'm not considering the wheel in my argument. He brought that up as a last desperate attempt to rationalise his error.

The green line is a continuation of the front bumper line down the side of the car which favours his 'perspective'. Do you think he is really going to block me? Tell him I'll never do it again. Please.
Wheel or not for reference seems front end height falls between both, but it's all good. Hey, as a side note, I have no idea what the pedestrian safety standards are for front end height but GM will have to build to that like it or not. Big issue for auto design is much of the freedom that was enjoyed in the past has been regulated. I would think it's alot to work around and still have what people consider attractive. That being said a few manufacturers are getting it done.

As for the block, I know ya could care less either way but it's just something I dont do, maybe he will consider the same. Ya could give him a bit of a break with the tackles approach ya take at times. Lol

PC
Old 01-22-2019, 03:57 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Are you saying that my skills are sufficient to be able to collaborate with Chaz? I'm just a straight talker. Nobody has to guess what I'm thinking. Math and physics are God's natural laws. I talk natural like.
I think you know EXACTLY what I am saying.

Last edited by Rapid Fred; 01-22-2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Wheel or not for reference seems front end height falls between both, but it's all good. Hey, as a side note, I have no idea what the pedestrian safety standards are for front end height but GM will have to build to that like it or not. Big issue for auto design is much of the freedom that was enjoyed in the past has been regulated. I would think it's alot to work around and still have what people consider attractive. That being said a few manufacturers are getting it done.

As for the block, I know ya could care less either way but it's just something I dont do, maybe he will consider the same. Ya could give him a bit of a break with the tackles approach ya take at times. Lol

PC
Well if you keep on responding to my posts, he will be able to read what I have posted. Thanks man. What a relief. I feel much better now.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:17 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

Chaz, thank for the update with the before and after. Having that really shows the difference in image modeling and the changes that lighting, softening and gloss make which I'm sure is an oversimplification.

For the sake of argument, can you show a render with the eye level set to the height of the nose? Clearly I'm not familiar with these programs you use but that would give a clear visual of how it lines up with the top of the tire. I believe that point will cross at the 2/3 to 3/4 point on the tire, just a though and not trying to make any additional work.

Anyway, happy molding and thx for all the time and work!

PC
I can make that my render tonight, I think.
IronV (01-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:03 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by chazcron
I can make that my render tonight, I think.
It's all good, no hurry, not feeling it will make much difference in the eyes of some! Lol

PC
Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Well if you keep on responding to my posts, he will be able to read what I have posted. Thanks man. What a relief. I feel much better now.

This reminded me of Shaka design
Old 01-22-2019, 05:41 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Well, I'm extremely immature so, when I design and build a car for myself, it reflects my nature. That should not be the focus of why I presented it. It's to help my best bud, Chaz, to get his act together. My advise is free. He will pay for it in kind when he takes it. QED.
Wow, narcissist much?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 PM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by John T

This reminded me of Shaka design
Looks like a Scarab!
Old 01-22-2019, 06:51 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by chazcron

Quetion on the rear window. Do we know that the frame is going to be black or could it be body color? I know that on the camo cars it is black, but the car is in camo so could the rear window be in camo?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 PM
chazcron
Racer

It could be anything. My guess is that body colored would make the rear window look uncomfortably small. I'll try a render body colored.

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 01-22-2019, 07:05 PM
chazcron
Racer

The following 9 users liked this post by chazcron:
bo_knows (01-23-2019), Darion (01-23-2019), elegant (01-22-2019), firstvettesoon (01-22-2019), Foosh (01-23-2019), IronV (01-23-2019), kingpin111 (01-22-2019), Shaka (01-23-2019), smoove7410 (01-22-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-22-2019, 07:15 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

The renders look nice but I'm sorry this is gonna be one ugly *** Vette. Yikes.
Old 01-22-2019, 07:37 PM
chazcron
Racer

These are unretouched.

All body color

With black accents

and all grey.

Yarbie, "To each his own."
The following 6 users liked this post by chazcron:
firstvettesoon (01-22-2019), Foosh (01-23-2019), IronV (01-23-2019), kozmic (01-22-2019), RedDropTop (01-22-2019), tractman (01-22-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress