Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 02:24 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default It's a love-hate thing

Originally Posted by Darion
Ya know here are a couple other preproduction renders Chaz has done. I'm not saying his render is what we will get or that he follows the CAD well, which could be fake for all we know, but he seems to get damn close. How about just enjoy it for what it is, the best we have so far!

PC
I enjoy following Chaz's excellent work and look forward to his "new releases." But I think he's expertly depicting a car design that is not just unattractive, it borders on the bizarre and inexplicable. So mixed feelings here...
Old 02-07-2019, 02:29 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Sigh!

Those Vettes pictured with Zora are all sleek, exciting designs. (head shake)
would you really want to drive any of those? For the day they were cutting edge... now that edge has gotten dull.

nostalgic. Yes. Great modern car design. No.

Elements were ahead of their time. Some are being implemented now. That’s the good thing.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-07-2019 at 02:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:31 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

I enjoy following Chaz's excellent work and look forward to his "new releases." But I think he's expertly depicting a car design that is not just unattractive, it borders on the bizarre and inexplicable. So mixed feelings here...
Agreed. Chaz has remarkable skills. But he is following what the camo'd versions are revealing while inserting "frog DNA" where artistic imagination is required to complete the render.

I certainly hope the camo is doing a sick, twisted, sort of a hell of a job because it just looks "off."

When looking at the Aria FXE side scoop, is it NOT POSSIBLE the C8 side scoop could be closely the same design and the "decoy" padding is really the lower half of the scoop that comes up masking the true FXE type design?

Just wishful thinking.

Last edited by WICKEDFRC; 02-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by WICKEDFRC:
firstvettesoon (02-07-2019), Shaka (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:35 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

I get ya. I think the final car will be more refined than our guesses and the overall design will be more homogeneous and dramatic.

Hope we we find out soon. !

The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
IronV (02-07-2019), Shaka (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:38 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default "Elements of Design"

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

would you really want to drive any of those? For the day they were cutting edge... now that edge has gotten dull.

nostalgic. Yes. Great modern car design. No.

Elements were here ahead of their time. Some are being implemented now. That’s the good thing.
The "elements" common to those other designs and wholly lacking in what we're seeing in the C8 so far, are "sleekness" and "coherence." As you have pointed out, exciting design is not a function of time or cost. Man, I was SO thrilled when we first saw the C8.R (before we knew it was the C8.R). And now, as we seem to be seeing increasingly accurate depictions of the real thing, my reaction is the opposite.

You have admonished me to wait. I get that. I hope you're right. But the more we see, the more my hopes fade.
Shaka (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

The "elements" common to those other designs and wholly lacking in what we're seeing in the C8 so far, are "sleekness" and "coherence." As you have pointed out, exciting design is not a function of time or cost. Man, I was SO thrilled when we first saw the C8.R (before we knew it was the C8.R). And now, as we seem to be seeing increasingly accurate depictions of the real thing, my reaction is the opposite.

You have admonished me to wait. I get that. I hope you're right. But the more we see, the more my hopes fade.

...not admonished... encouraged ; )

I admit, some of the camo images look wonky...some do not. it can be confusing. I don't think we are going to see a "revolution" of the Corvette design as much as a MidEngine evolution in that it will not be an entirely NEW design direction, but I do think if you like the C8R and Aria and the 488 and the c7... you will be happy... overall. I am sure there will be nits to pick as always but we have to wait to see them to pick them.... unfortunately.

Take a look at this comparison. Not exact... but the same bones. I think if you like the C8R you will like the C8... but you may need the HiPo variant to get all the "cooler" body features like the z and GS cars.

The following 5 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
Carbon65 (02-10-2019), Corvette_Nut (02-07-2019), elegant (02-07-2019), IronV (02-07-2019), John T (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Yet you herald the C8.R by what we have seen so maybe your judgement is rushed?

I can tell you for certain the there are at least 10 fake panels on any of the cars we have seen with the black tarps removed, and additional tape jobs to obscure flow and contouring. (Both side window sills, both scoops, either rear quarter (might be one large panel covering the entire " top rear of the car, panels covering the 1/4 windows, panels and taping covering the front bumper, a fake panel covering the hood, tape covering the taillights, the headlights, tape and or fake panels obscuring the mid-upper door lines flowing from the fender and flowing into the side scoops, fake paneling and or tape covering the side skirt area on some of em too)

The car is extremely well concealed.

We know from the G6 Camaro video GM did on how GM covers up their cars with thin plastic panels and tape that complete hide key details of their cars.

The end result will be closer to the Aria' "look and feel", with additional refinement and real Corvette DNA (the Aria lacks a lot of Corvette DNA), than is apparent from the pre-pro cars running around in their ugly costumes.

Last edited by C7pimp; 02-07-2019 at 03:26 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by C7pimp:
John T (02-07-2019), kingpin111 (02-07-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:21 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Agreed. Chaz has remarkable skills. But he is following what the camo'd versions are revealing while inserting "frog DNA" where artistic imagination is required to complete the render.

I certainly hope the camo is doing a sick, twisted, sort of a hell of a job because it just looks "off."

When looking at the Aria FXE side scoop, is it NOT POSSIBLE the C8 side scoop could be closely the same design and the "decoy" padding is really the lower half of the scoop that comes up masking the true FXE type design?

Just wishful thinking.
We are seeing what they want us to see. There's no way they're riding around with just a vinyl wrap covering all the production body panels. There's certainly portions of the finished body showing, but then fake parts added to another spot of that same panel to throw off the look of the whole thing. This BMW video shows just how easy it is.
I believe these "fenders" could've actually been cover pieces just like that. A real fender ain't gonna have a bit of the headlight molded into them.

Foosh (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

YA, we all know. Lol. You are nothing if not consistent.

PC
John T (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:29 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
No, in other words, quit harassing the guy and being an *******. Your deep-seated narcissism is poisoning this thread. Cool it.

I've been critical of him as well, but constructively so. I'm not just trolling the guy and taunting him "derp, I live in his head rent-free" Shut the hell up with that type of crap.
Oh, so " f--- off Shaka. Seriously." and "I know one person who won't agree. But he is on my ignore list. Try not to quote his posts. I don't care to see them." are obviously acceptable to you.
You are cleared for a sexual departure.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:42 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 4,984 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Oh, so " f--- off Shaka. Seriously." and "I know one person who won't agree. But he is on my ignore list. Try not to quote his posts. I don't care to see them." are obviously acceptable to you.
lol dude get over it. You got the reaction from Chaz that you deserved. He takes criticism and suggestions pretty well when people are at least decent about it. But you insisted on repeatedly being a total dick about it. So yeah him putting you on ignore and taunting you is acceptable. Especially since you are so pissy about it lol
The following 2 users liked this post by smithers:
AEmedic (02-09-2019), Rapid Fred (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:47 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MikeG37
We are seeing what they want us to see. There's no way they're riding around with just a vinyl wrap covering all the production body panels. There's certainly portions of the finished body showing, but then fake parts added to another spot of that same panel to throw off the look of the whole thing. This BMW video shows just how easy it is.
https://youtu.be/uaccjXcPc3Q
I believe these "fenders" could've actually been cover pieces just like that. A real fender ain't gonna have a bit of the headlight molded into them.
You could be right. These fenders could be early test fenders or fakes BUT they do match the CAD images so I feel they are close to production. They aso match the Camo images so I don't think there is much in the way of fake panels going on there.

As for the headlamp areas, these are likely raw moldings...many panels like this are formed with blocking to support the molding and ensure the most accurate part especially when there are "thin" or narrow areas nearby. The headlamp section would be milled out in a secondary operation as would any attachment holes or super accurate milling or bonding needed to fit other parts.

check out this vid. note around 3:50 min mark.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 02-07-2019 at 03:50 PM.
jdvann (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:49 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Those were the two noses I tried to find the other day. 3 and 4. The C8R and the one with the cardboard extension. There was another view of that extension somewhere.
Boy, it's going to be great to delete all these camo images on file when the car is finally released.
firstvettesoon (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:49 PM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Everyone remember when the c7 drawings leaked before the reveal? I thought they looked pretty bad.. and a lot of people also thought the same on here

Then the actual car was released and it was perfect except for the rear imo.

I still am not a fan of the c7 rear end... It is tolerable with the c7z because the clear tail lights and wider hips.

Last edited by mammoth713; 02-07-2019 at 03:50 PM.
foreverfuelie (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Great find, Mike. That video is very revealing regarding the great lengths the camo experts go to hide a new product.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:07 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

check out this vid. note around 3:50 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM5RdaNS59o
Nice thanks. That's what plenty of funding can do. I do my bucks and molds the old fashioned way, by hand. Now I'm milling both the buck and the molds after the body is finalised by hand. Pretty scary stuff.
I sure hope it turns out OK. I'll post pictures. I'm doing it this way to save time and money. That part is not working out to well. I can assure you, I'll never build a complete car again.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:12 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by smithers
lol dude get over it. You got the reaction from Chaz that you deserved. He takes criticism and suggestions pretty well when people are at least decent about it. But you insisted on repeatedly being a total dick about it. So yeah him putting you on ignore and taunting you is acceptable. Especially since you are so pissy about it lol
Who yanked your chain?

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 02-07-2019, 05:06 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Aria-like, Good camo etc

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Yet you herald the C8.R by what we have seen so maybe your judgement is rushed?

I can tell you for certain the there are at least 10 fake panels on any of the cars we have seen with the black tarps removed, and additional tape jobs to obscure flow and contouring. (Both side window sills, both scoops, either rear quarter (might be one large panel covering the entire " top rear of the car, panels covering the 1/4 windows, panels and taping covering the front bumper, a fake panel covering the hood, tape covering the taillights, the headlights, tape and or fake panels obscuring the mid-upper door lines flowing from the fender and flowing into the side scoops, fake paneling and or tape covering the side skirt area on some of em too)

The car is extremely well concealed.

We know from the G6 Camaro video GM did on how GM covers up their cars with thin plastic panels and tape that complete hide key details of their cars.

The end result will be closer to the Aria' "look and feel", with additional refinement and real Corvette DNA (the Aria lacks a lot of Corvette DNA), than is apparent from the pre-pro cars running around in their ugly costumes.

There's nothing unreasonable about your take. I HOPE you're right. God, I hope you're right. My concern is that all the camo in the world, all the fake panels in the world, cannot conceal basic shape and proportions. Thus far, it's my perception that there is NO WAY the C8 will have the sleek proportions of the Aria and C8.R.

If I'm wrong, drinks are on me. Two rounds. Gladly.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:54 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
The "you are cleared for a sexual departure" line is your only good contribution to the thread. I will give credit where it is due.

Plenty of other people are critical constructively, you're just a dick that talks down to people and toots your own horn. The negative responses you have received are well earned.
The following 2 users liked this post by K-TownMike:
ByByBMW (02-08-2019), Rapid Fred (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Jerradl1987
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by K-TownMike
The "you are cleared for a sexual departure" line is your only good contribution to the thread. I will give credit where it is due.

Plenty of other people are critical constructively, you're just a dick that talks down to people and toots your own horn. The negative responses you have received are well earned.
You know I find it funny that Shaka the biggest ***** on here doesn't get banned for his constant rude remarks and criticizing to everyone and their damn mother on here. but some people on here that talk back to this a**hole get warnings from the forum police to play nice with others or you can "take the earliest vacation of 2019" with BS comments like that. seems like shaka has friends high up on this page. oh well right?
The following 3 users liked this post by Jerradl1987:
Atari_Prime (02-07-2019), ByByBMW (02-08-2019), Rapid Fred (02-07-2019)

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress