Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:03 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jdvann
Makes me want to see a #3 car done up in C8.R racing scheme colors.
Is that the 2020 Camaro?
Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
Is that the 2020 Camaro?
In case you don't follow Corvette Racing this is what I mean...

Old 01-10-2019, 09:44 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Profound difference in design direction between other MEs and the C8

Originally Posted by Sin City
Is that the 2020 Camaro?
PEOPLE OF EARTH! Yeah. I'm annoying and a dick. But I have a message that deserves to be addressed. A lot of you may love what you're seeing emerge in the excellent C8 renders on these pages. Nothing wrong with that. Love it or hate it, there is a profound difference in design direction between the C8 and other ME cars I would consider stunningly beautiful.

These cars represent design direction that is simple but dramatic. Sleek and well-differentiated. The C8 is a design cacophony. The rear is an absolute, freaking mess. Even more than the C7. The difference is the C8, as were seeing it so far, is chaotic everywhere. Is that a good thing and I just don't get it?

Of course once the camo comes off I could be wrong. So I'm only addressing what we're seeing so far. At the very least. Is this thundering discrepancy between the C8 and these other designs not apparent to you? Really?

Last edited by IronV; 01-10-2019 at 09:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by IronV:
JMLS (01-11-2019), PurpleLion (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:02 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Gorgeous is in the details. This is my current fav, The AM Valkyrie. Cosworth V12 :::::11,000 redline — no turbos ❤️

Last edited by John T; 01-10-2019 at 11:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Atari_Prime (01-11-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 11:50 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default No. Gorgeous is not in the details

Originally Posted by John T
Gorgeous is in the details. This is my current fav, The AM Valkyrie. Cosworth V12 :::::11,000 redline — no turbos ❤️

The details enhance, complement and illuminate. Gorgeous is in the design direction and language.
Shaka (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Not my cup of tea at all...
Dont like it ,Way too flamboyant .
There isn’t even gonna be a whiff of that car on the new C8.
Rapid Fred (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 12:46 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
PEOPLE OF EARTH! Yeah. I'm annoying and a dick. But I have a message that deserves to be addressed. A lot of you may love what you're seeing emerge in the excellent C8 renders on these pages. Nothing wrong with that. Love it or hate it, there is a profound difference in design direction between the C8 and other ME cars I would consider stunningly beautiful.

These cars represent design direction that is simple but dramatic. Sleek and well-differentiated. The C8 is a design cacophony. The rear is an absolute, freaking mess. Even more than the C7. The difference is the C8, as were seeing it so far, is chaotic everywhere. Is that a good thing and I just don't get it?

Of course once the camo comes off I could be wrong. So I'm only addressing what we're seeing so far. At the very least. Is this thundering discrepancy between the C8 and these other designs not apparent to you? Really?

The basic shape and proportions of the C8 are promising.

I appreciate the hard work some of the great artists here have done, but I am reserving judgement until I see the real thing.

Beyond that, harping incessantly as you do serves no purpose other than to confirm that you know you are a dick and enjoy proving it as often as you see fit. I guess that's the only thing we know for sure up to this point.
The following 2 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
bgspot (01-11-2019), Rapid Fred (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 07:55 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Beyond that, harping incessantly as you do serves no purpose other than to confirm that you know you are a dick and enjoy proving it as often as you see fit.
I think that the potential benefit of harping on these issues is that someone at GM might notice and at least use the feedback to adjust the looks of the eventual Grand Sport version.

One of GM's biggest past problems is their lack of integration with the outside world. They have always talked among themselves without reference to external reality. For example, they tried to sell 4 speed cars when the rest of the world had long since switched to 5 speeds. I guess that it is a form of elite-ism. The idea that we know best because we are the best! Hopefully, they have given up this attitude.

Last edited by PurpleLion; 01-11-2019 at 08:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:29 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Ugh, I swear the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is lost on some people. The renders are just renders, until the car can be seen by real eyeballs in the real world, there is no way to really see just how well the rear end will look on the C8. The Huracan Evo butt is too busy compared to a regular LP610/4 which in my opinion os a much nicer and less ricey rear end. That Aston render is beautiful but there are plenty of beautiful renders that don't exist in the real world for one reason or another. The Valkyrie is "bleh" to me, to much LMP racecar function over form, its a cool car but its looks are stupid because it simply sacrifices everything to aero, there is no aesthetic for the sake of it. This is the reason Ferrari is arguably the most desirable car, they are performers AND artistic.

The C8 has the unenviable task of being mid engine, without the budget of exotics that use crazy CF molding techniques to create interesting shapes that are simply impossible to mass produce. These exotics have established a "look" that is hard to make a "liveable" car with. McLaren has done well to make cars with some liveable utility, but it appears that GM and the C8 are trying to make a real "liveable" mid engine sports car as evidenced by the full width rear hatch and low mounted exhaust which lends itself to additional rear storage.

Honestly, the last sighting in Detroit clip got me super excited, as the car looks properly aggressive and proportioned even with the tacked on camo.

Then again this is just my opinion and it may not jive with everyone else's, but GM should do what they will inevitably do, and release a great car that will likely polarize people like the C7 did. I also loved the C7, it was the first time I even cared about the Corvette as more than just some cool classics (C1-C3) and a bunch of great handling cars that were ok (C4-C6). Because of the C7, I actually became invested in the Corvette culture and now care about all Vettes, and one day would love to have a garage filled with examples from each gen, but it was the C7 that made me care enough in the first place.
The following 4 users liked this post by Supermassive:
bgspot (01-11-2019), Rapid Fred (01-11-2019), RapidC84B (01-11-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

The designers could help themselves a lot by not putting the plate front and center of the rear end like it is a crossover SUV or a BMW. I really don't understand the point of having the rear plate on display. The only people that want to see those are cops. They aren't a design feature.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:16 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Just wait until you see the makeshift bracket for the front plate
Old 01-11-2019, 10:55 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV

Of course once the camo comes off I could be wrong. So I'm only addressing what we're seeing so far. At the very least. Is this thundering discrepancy between the C8 and these other designs not apparent to you? R
Here's the problem with you, and why you are so annoying. Your points might be considered IF WE HAD A REAL C8 to analyze and comment upon. WE DON'T! Thus, your critiques are meaningless and incomprehensible, and worse yet, you seem to think you have to keep saying the same things over and over again.

What some of us keep trying to tell you is that we've gotten your point, so why not give it a rest, until you have something REAL to talk about.
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
AEmedic (01-13-2019), bgspot (01-11-2019), Rapid Fred (01-11-2019), VETTE-NV (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by StanleyTTU
The designers could help themselves a lot by not putting the plate front and center of the rear end like it is a crossover SUV or a BMW. I really don't understand the point of having the rear plate on display. The only people that want to see those are cops. They aren't a design feature.
Agree. The C7 does a good job of putting it down low and using that real estate. C5 had it up higher. That said, the C8 is going to have a real rear diffusor (unlike the C7's fake one that really doesn't do anything). So that lower real estate is being used for air management.

Poster above makes a good point about GM's challenge of making a real livable ME car. They know their core buyer wants to drive these cars and use them on errands and road trips. Will be very interesting to see what storage solutions they come up with, especially for the removable targa panel.

Personally, I want a convertible for the C8. Keep my C7 as a track car, or sell it and buy back my old C5 racecar for track fun.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM
StanleyTTU
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
Agree. The C7 does a good job of putting it down low and using that real estate. C5 had it up higher. That said, the C8 is going to have a real rear diffusor (unlike the C7's fake one that really doesn't do anything). So that lower real estate is being used for air management.

Poster above makes a good point about GM's challenge of making a real livable ME car. They know their core buyer wants to drive these cars and use them on errands and road trips. Will be very interesting to see what storage solutions they come up with, especially for the removable targa panel.

Personally, I want a convertible for the C8. Keep my C7 as a track car, or sell it and buy back my old C5 racecar for track fun.
Fair point on the diffuser. Still wish/hope they can change the way it is placed in the center.

Would be nice if the USA would adopt a more sleek plate design similar to European countries. I'm actually a bit surprised we haven't advanced technology in this area to the point that plates are unnecessary and cars can be designed without them.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:53 AM
sweedjeff
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Love the work, but still not crazy about those exhaust tips!

I really hope there are 2 big tips, 1 on each side, for the final design. Not that it matters to me because I can't afford one
bgspot (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
I think that the potential benefit of harping on these issues is that someone at GM might notice and at least use the feedback to adjust the looks of the eventual Grand Sport version.

One of GM's biggest past problems is their lack of integration with the outside world. They have always talked among themselves without reference to external reality. For example, they tried to sell 4 speed cars when the rest of the world had long since switched to 5 speeds. I guess that it is a form of elite-ism. The idea that we know best because we are the best! Hopefully, they have given up this attitude.

The design was probably finalized two years ago. At this stage, I doubt the rantings of an obsessed lunatic on a car forum will mean anything Mark Ruess causing him to demand a complete revision and another 2-3 years of waiting time. I would assume they did several focus groups made up of Corvette and non-Corvette enthusiasts but as you said, maybe not.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:57 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

While I have been accurately accused of being a C8 fanboy, I too am not a lover of the exhaust tips we have seen. However, either GM is hiding the real ones, or there would be aftermarket ones on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 01-11-2019, 12:02 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Looks like something out of The Jetsons.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:17 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7

Not my cup of tea at all...
Dont like it ,Way too flamboyant .
There isn’t even gonna be a whiff of that car on the new C8.

I agree that the above car looks very little like the C8, however if you don't like the design of the Valkyrie, you're nuts, go back to the 60s.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 01-11-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:28 PM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC
Looks like something out of The Jetsons.
Yep,

Exactly the same.

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress