Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 PM
FinsterforstFan
Racer

Received 441 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
Gorgeous is in the details. This is my current fav, The AM Valkyrie. Cosworth V12 :::::11,000 redline — no turbos ❤️

I love the Valkyrie. It looks amazing.

I also agree with IronV on the rear of that C8 posted above. That is just a design mess.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
I agree that the above car looks very little like the C8, however if you don't like the design of the Valkyrie, you're nuts, go back to the 60s.
Why do we all have to like it, I honestly think its ugly from an aesthetic point of view. I understand why it looks this way, but it literally has zero design cues pointing toward its brand, Aston Martins all easily distinguishable by their grilles, this thing doesn't even have one. It is a generic wind tunnel shaped spaceship that sacrifices everything for one singular purpose...now the AM Vulcan on the other hand is absolutely gorgeous and identifiable as an AM product.

The Valkyrie looks just as outlandish as all the other "hyper" cars out there and all the upcoming ones. The only new hyper car that strikes me as cool and sexy would have to be the Brabham BT62, but it could be that I am a sucker for British racing green and gold...
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:01 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

I've been bogged down with the uncreative job of cutting actual panel lines instead of bump maps. This is another random render in red, realized at a pretty high resolution. I don't know what the max res is here, If anyone is interested in the full resolution, let me know and I'll post it to my Imgur account.

Last edited by chazcron; 01-11-2019 at 01:08 PM.
The following 9 users liked this post by chazcron:
AEmedic (01-13-2019), Corvette_Nut (01-17-2019), CRABBYJ (01-11-2019), firstvettesoon (01-11-2019), Foosh (01-11-2019), Lotsacubes (01-11-2019), smoove7410 (01-11-2019), Supermassive (01-11-2019), tractman (01-11-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by chazcron
I've been bogged down with the uncreative job of cutting actual panel lines instead of bump maps. This is another random render in red, realized at a pretty high resolution. I don't know what the max res is here, If anyone is interested in the full resolution, let me know and I'll post it to my Imgur account.
Thanks Chaz, and yes there's a big crowd here that would love to see the max resolution.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
chazcron (01-11-2019), tractman (01-11-2019), zhopper05 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:06 PM
chazcron
Racer

Here is the full resolution image:

https://imgur.com/x3mp1vd
The following 4 users liked this post by chazcron:
Foosh (01-11-2019), jdvann (01-12-2019), tractman (01-11-2019), zhopper05 (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:11 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Hey Chaz,
I know you are doing your best, but can we get the DRL LED strip in the actual headlight instead of on the horizontal splitter in the grille? The separate DRL look is tacky and in the renders looks like a chrome strip...like the C7 "retainer". I imagine that the LED would be similar to the C7 and run along the bottom edge of the headlight housing, this is nitpicky and we have no idea what they will actually look like, but if the splitter remains as thin as it is on the camo cars, there just isn't any room for the LEDs and lenses on that area.

Also, that hi-res image is my new desktop, top notch work!

Last edited by Supermassive; 01-11-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
Yep,

Exactly the same.

Maybe I should have clarified for those who may not get the futuristic point of the post. The Valkrie looks too "futuristic" as in, like a spaceship.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Why do we all have to like it, I honestly think its ugly from an aesthetic point of view. I understand why it looks this way, but it literally has zero design cues pointing toward its brand, Aston Martins all easily distinguishable by their grilles, this thing doesn't even have one. It is a generic wind tunnel shaped spaceship that sacrifices everything for one singular purpose...now the AM Vulcan on the other hand is absolutely gorgeous and identifiable as an AM product.

The Valkyrie looks just as outlandish as all the other "hyper" cars out there and all the upcoming ones. The only new hyper car that strikes me as cool and sexy would have to be the Brabham BT62, but it could be that I am a sucker for British racing green and gold...
We don't all have to like the same things, but there are some designs which are much like taste in movies or food, if someone tells you they don't like them it devalues their opinion on all other matters related to a subject, in this instance, cars. The Valkyrie is just about perfect from the side view. From the front it is less impressive. The AM Vulcan is a great looking car too. The BT62 has too many sharp edges. Where the 90s were all about flowing lines, the 00s were all about sharp angular edges. Now we are moving into panels on panels such as in the i8. I prefer the flowing lines of the 90s and would like to see us move away from car designs that look like a stealth fighter.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:32 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default I'm being patient on design direction and language

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
The basic shape and proportions of the C8 are promising.

I appreciate the hard work some of the great artists here have done, but I am reserving judgement until I see the real thing.

Beyond that, harping incessantly as you do serves no purpose other than to confirm that you know you are a dick and enjoy proving it as often as you see fit. I guess that's the only thing we know for sure up to this point.
You miss my point and worse, dismiss it as "harping."

DO YOU NOT SEE A PROFOUND DIFFERENCE IN THE DESIGN DIRECTION SHOWN ABOVE? Do you embrace the extremely busy direction seen in the C8 thus far?

You say the "basic shape and proportions are promising."

The basic shape and proportions are also a profound divergence from past Vettes. Is that a good thing?

You have criticized me personally and consistently for raising the issue and asking the questions that nobody wants to hear, much less consider.

If you think the C8's design direction is superior to the Lambo and Aston above, let's hear it.

And a perfectly acceptable answer is "Yeah. I think the direction of the C8 is a big step forward from the Lambo and Aston above and will be a big hit."
Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default So let me get this straight

Originally Posted by Foosh
Here's the problem with you, and why you are so annoying. Your points might be considered IF WE HAD A REAL C8 to analyze and comment upon. WE DON'T! Thus, your critiques are meaningless and incomprehensible, and worse yet, you seem to think you have to keep saying the same things over and over again.

What some of us keep trying to tell you is that we've gotten your point, so why not give it a rest, until you have something REAL to talk about.
Praise and excitement are perfectly appropriate responses to the emerging C8 design. But doubt and criticism are not acceptable.

Got it. And no. You haven't "gotten my point." You've responded defensively and one dimensionally. But you are far from "getting my point."

Now. You compare the speculative C8 renders to the Lambo and Aston and tell me if you think the design direction (speculative) of the C8 is superior.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:49 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chazcron

As much as I appreciate all the C8 render interpretations by you, Chazcron, as well as FVS and bdsvavars, I wish each of you would consider creating a blue print style version of the ME best you can. Maybe even use C7 dimensions as a basis adjusted as needed as we think the wheel base is much the same.

I have on my wall this blue blue print created by Douglas Switzer back when I first bought my ‘14 C7. You can view more of his works and those from other aritists at:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...s-switzer.html

Credit to Douglas Switzer

The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
chazcron (01-11-2019), Foosh (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by IronV
Praise and excitement are perfectly appropriate responses to the emerging C8 design. But doubt and criticism are not acceptable.

Got it. And no. You haven't "gotten my point." You've responded defensively and one dimensionally. But you are far from "getting my point."

Now. You compare the speculative C8 renders to the Lambo and Aston and tell me if you think the design direction (speculative) of the C8 is superior.
I've said it plenty of times as well, so I'm probably annoying - oh no. IronV has a valid point & regardless of whether he expresses it 1x or 100x it's as valid as everyone drooling over the "no real C8 to analyze yet".

Another member just posted a cool article on the development of the C7 and in that article they had the attached pic of the C7 testing in camo - where you can clearly make out the lines, proportions, and overall look of the C7 which turned out to look pretty much like what you see here. So to IronV's point & many others, the current camo car is not attractive, the proportions are off, the rear end is hideous & it's reasonable to assume (by looking at the C7 camo pic) that the final version will closely resemble what we see.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:52 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Moldings for ME Cars--Complex vs Simple

Ugh, I swear the phrase "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is lost on some people. The renders are just renders, until the car can be seen by real eyeballs in the real world, there is no way to really see just how well the rear end will look on the C8. The Huracan Evo butt is too busy compared to a regular LP610/4 which in my opinion os a much nicer and less ricey rear end. That Aston render is beautiful but there are plenty of beautiful renders that don't exist in the real world for one reason or another. The Valkyrie is "bleh" to me, to much LMP racecar function over form, its a cool car but its looks are stupid because it simply sacrifices everything to aero, there is no aesthetic for the sake of it. This is the reason Ferrari is arguably the most desirable car, they are performers AND artistic.

The C8 has the unenviable task of being mid engine, without the budget of exotics that use crazy CF molding techniques to create interesting shapes that are simply impossible to mass produce. These exotics have established a "look" that is hard to make a "liveable" car with. McLaren has done well to make cars with some liveable utility, but it appears that GM and the C8 are trying to make a real "liveable" mid engine sports car as evidenced by the full width rear hatch and low mounted exhaust which lends itself to additional rear storage.

Honestly, the last sighting in Detroit clip got me super excited, as the car looks properly aggressive and proportioned even with the tacked on camo.

Then again this is just my opinion and it may not jive with everyone else's, but GM should do what they will inevitably do, and release a great car that will likely polarize people like the C7 did. I also loved the C7, it was the first time I even cared about the Corvette as more than just some cool classics (C1-C3) and a bunch of great handling cars that were ok (C4-C6). Because of the C7, I actually became invested in the Corvette culture and now care about all Vettes, and one day would love to have a garage filled with examples from each gen, but it was the C7 that made me care enough in the first place.
The "moldings" in the C8 thus far, are much more complex than anything on that Lambo and Aston--which have a far simpler design direction. And I'm not talking about what you "like." I'm talking about comparing and contrasting the design direction of the Lambo and emerging C8.

It's not about "like."
Old 01-11-2019, 04:02 PM
chazcron
Racer

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

As much as I appreciate all the C8 render interpretations by you, Chazcron, as well as FVS and bdsvavars, I wish each of you would consider creating a blue print style version of the ME best you can. Maybe even use C7 dimensions as a basis adjusted as needed as we think the wheel base is much the same.

I have on my wall this blue blue print created by Douglas Switzer back when I first bought my ‘14 C7. You can view more of his works and those from other aritists at:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...s-switzer.html

Credit to Douglas Switzer

Game changer for me, CRABBYJ. The single biggest mistake I have made to date. Thanks so much for the tip.

While the side view mostly lines up (I am not stubbing the nose or tail any more til leak/proof) the width was off by a whopping 10%. I am thoroughly embarrassed. Look at how much the change affects the last render.

This is why I take member proportions seriously and check the ones that seem valid. I'll be honest, I was dismissive of CRABBYJ's suggestion at first. After all. I had posted a four view a few weeks ago and he could have checked for himself, I thought. I've had a nagging feeling all along that it was too wide, but it seemed to line up with the spy shots. So what would it hurt to check? Oh boy am I glad I did.

I wish I could re-render ALL my previous renders, but that is not possible. This is my new width going forward.

I am sorry to have mislead you all.

I feel better now.

Last edited by chazcron; 01-11-2019 at 04:16 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by chazcron:
AEmedic (01-13-2019), CRABBYJ (01-11-2019), Foosh (01-11-2019), IronV (01-11-2019), jdvann (01-12-2019), JerryU (01-15-2019), Lotsacubes (01-11-2019), RedDropTop (01-11-2019), ShagVette (01-11-2019), Supermassive (01-11-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-12-2019) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:10 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Now I need the adjusted render in ultra high resolution for my desktop!
Old 01-11-2019, 04:12 PM
chazcron
Racer

Now I need the adjusted render in ultra high resolution for my desktop!
Oh man, that is an hour render and an hour of retouching. Maybe.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

I'm just kidding, your renders have been my desktop from the start, so you do you man, and I'll keep adding to the collection. It's interesting to see the progression though.

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 01-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by IronV

You clearly haven't gotten my point. And I'm certainly NOT defensive because I am brand agnostic. I've said it before, and I'll remind you again that I have mixed feelings about the renders and not sure I'd be a C8 ME buyer based upon what I've seen even though I think the big 3 renderers are getting close. However, I also have enough experience to know that subtle little tweaks and seeing things up close and personal can give one a totally different impression than a 1D render.

Thus, I'm in "wait and see" mode and have no need to waste my time critiquing pictures, which are likely to not fully capture the finished product. I find those who do like you running a fools errand and just plain silly.

The C7 is a good example. I really didn't like it in the period leading up to, and for some period of time after, the reveal. As a result, I purchased a Jaguar F-Type. Over time, it really grew on me, and I now really like the design. I went through the same process with the 911 over a couple of decades. I used to absolutely hate them, but now I appreciate the the styling.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
CorvettoBrando (01-15-2019), John T (01-12-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:00 PM
chazcron
Racer

Here is a 180º rotation of my last render with the new slim Corvette.
The following 9 users liked this post by chazcron:
bigblock427 (01-11-2019), Corvette_Nut (01-17-2019), CRABBYJ (01-11-2019), elegant (01-14-2019), Foosh (01-11-2019), JerryU (01-15-2019), John T (01-12-2019), RedDropTop (01-11-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-15-2019) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-11-2019, 05:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Thanks Chaz for the great example of what I just said above in response to IronV. Suddenly, it's now more attractive.

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress