Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default The danger behind the excellent renders

Originally Posted by Yarbie
The renders look nice but I'm sorry this is gonna be one ugly *** Vette. Yikes.
That is the issue, isn't it?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default It's da schnoz...

Originally Posted by Shrike6
You know, there has been some discussion about how Chaz likes the additional length of the nose on his render, vs the length of the camo’d test car. Is it possible that GM is using a front facia different from the real, final item?
I’m thinking they could replace the real front facia with a different one for camo reasons.
Anybody think this is possible?
There is or was, something going on with the nose. Earlier pics of the prototypes show a distinctly longer, sleeker, more Vette-like, nose. And I don't think it's just camera angle...

The following 2 users liked this post by IronV:
dreamr616 (01-23-2019), Shaka (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:48 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

I can’t ever get enough of those McDonald’s spy pictures....best look at the cars silhouette before all the crazy bolt on cladding...on some angles you actually see the scoop the way it is,low and swept back almost till the rear tire.Never bulging out,and following the Coke bottle shape.
No disappointments with this next vette.
The following users liked this post:
dreamr616 (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 03:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I don't think there's much question that various mules have had different types of camo techniques applied. That would almost certainly include various methods of hiding the true shapes.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:02 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Camo and that coke bottle shape

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't think there's much question that various mules have had different types of camo techniques applied. That would almost certainly include various methods of hiding the true shapes.
What's REALLY weird is that as the some of the heavier, thicker camo has come off, the C8 has seemed to lose that coke-bottle shapeliness and grow blockier with each new sighting. Whereas with the C5,6 and 7, as the camo came off, the shapeliness increased.

I'm tellin' ya. Something odd is going on.
Shaka (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yep, but I simply can't imagine that after the C7 and all that's riding on this thing, that GM would design something as blocky as the camo versions appear. However, I've been stunned by horrible designs in the past.

I do know someone who has seen the car, and he/she says it's "stunning" and "far more beautiful than any of the renders." I trust this person's taste. That is all he/she will say.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-23-2019 at 04:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
firstvettesoon (01-23-2019), IronV (01-24-2019), z edge (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 04:12 PM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Default Hope the Pimp is right--COHERENCE

Originally Posted by C7pimp
I wasn't going to say anything but it needs to be said because the critics are right. You are all over the place Chaz. But, instead of just talking **** I'll give some constructive feedback that nobody else seems to be able to do despite their "expertise".

I'll point out two critical areas that are the worst offenders.

#1 The door crease 3/4" the way up the door isn't correct. The front bumper's side inlets don't flow towards that door crease, they angle up much more which completely disrupts the flow of the design. you are literally going in 5 different directions instead of 1. Blue, red, pink, orange and green are your 5 different directions. There is one cohesive direction I'll point out below.

#2 Your belt line is too high at the bottom of the side window, and your 1/4 window shape is wrong. The C8.R spy shots shows that shape and flow 100% accurate to production. There is a fake panel over the top of the door, and quarter window misdirecting all of this on the street cars and you have traced the fake line and it really doesn't look right at all. I outlined the correct window shape in black. Green is your approximate lines. again, note the semi-transparent line showing the flow direction from front, to side to back. It's one direction, not 5.

Hope this helps! I know controlling these cage models are really difficult and it requires a lot of time and patience. I appreciate that.
This is EXACTLY what I've meant about design "coherence." It is one of the biggest concerns I've had about all the renders. Unfortunately, there are others. Such as lack of shape and proportions.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:18 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
I can’t ever get enough of those McDonald’s spy pictures....best look at the cars silhouette before all the crazy bolt on cladding...on some angles you actually see the scoop the way it is,low and swept back almost till the rear tire.Never bulging out,and following the Coke bottle shape.
No disappointments with this next vette.
But that's not true. The perceived angles you are referrering to that sweep back toward the tire are caused by the stitching pulling the cover toward the wheel. The lines you think you see are just resulting creases in the fabric. More proof? Take a look at where the inlet is on the door in those same pictures, it is up high, not down low like it should be to coincide with the vent that you are describing. Also, look at the C8R, it has the same scoop shape as we are seeing on the regular C8. It appears to have been camoed by a completely different team and many more of the lines are visible on the car as a result. We have not seen one real piece of evidence that would support a vent low and toward the wheel and have a mountain of info pointing to the fact that the vent we see up high is the vent we are getting.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:24 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka

I'm still sticking to my side scoop and hood outlet at least for the HP version.
I can accept a C8 that looks close to this design. Of course, with red calipers and black wheels.
Shaka (01-23-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:11 AM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

Tonight's spoiler-free random renders:

I appreciate C7Pimp's constructive observations. he is correct that my door sill crease was angling downward. I fixed that. I don't believe my lines "go all over the place". I've always acknowledged they are not perfect, and drawing a line on a lens distorted perspective image will not always convince me of that. Other than the 19" front wheels and the license plate, I don't have any other definable measurement to go off of. You can't get accurate measurements drawing computer lines on a photo from a distorted lens and a curvy car. I think I do pretty well considering.

As far as my windows being off, I lined up my model as best i could to a similar photo and put the window silhouette from the C8-R over it along with the pertinent features. The gif shows I am largely on the right line, certainly not too high, but my cut line for the engine hood is too far back. I will try to fix that, but it may ruin my mesh, so I am not sure I will. Lining up the side showed me my door cut at the back was too straight up and it was tricky to move the mesh to reflect the curve at the top. So I am hesitant to try again.

My mirror is definitely too high.

I might use this rotoscope to flatten the window sill a bit more and flatten the edges around the "small rear window".

While some mules may have fake panels at the top of the door, clearly in the photo below, this one does not. I am not sure if the window silhouette of the convertible (which this is) is different than the coupe, but I doubt it.

It also underscores how badly I modeled the window moulding. (one of the first things I modeled). I will have to rework that soon.

Thanks, again C7, we may not agree on all your observations, but checking them out pointed out some other issues.

Last edited by chazcron; 01-24-2019 at 12:14 AM.
The following 8 users liked this post by chazcron:
AEmedic (01-25-2019), bigblock427 (01-24-2019), Foosh (01-24-2019), IronV (01-24-2019), RedDropTop (01-24-2019), tractman (01-24-2019), VETTE-NV (01-25-2019), Zaro Tundov (01-24-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

That window is an issue from the time I saw the pic with the open door, below. It appears to show a camo panel on the top of the door (the circled area) which raises the window line by 2-3 inches. Also the top of the scoop on the door appears to be basically horizontal.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:26 AM
C7nut
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 190 Posts

What is confusing to me are the assorted mules photographed seem to have different sized shapes. Front end on some appear shorter and stubbier then others. I think it would be easy to extend the length of the front or rear end in camo but wouldn't the shorter one be the actual size? Corvette Blogger had a revealing shot and a short video yesterday with the stubbier mule.. Check it out. I think it speaks volumes for the actual design. Here's a shot from that site. I notice the side scoops and the shorter rear end are pretty much defined in this shot..

Last edited by C7nut; 01-24-2019 at 08:41 AM.
IronV (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 09:25 AM
JD_AMG
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by C7nut
What is confusing to me are the assorted mules photographed seem to have different sized shapes. Front end on some appear shorter and stubbier then others. I think it would be easy to extend the length of the front or rear end in camo but wouldn't the shorter one be the actual size? Corvette Blogger had a revealing shot and a short video yesterday with the stubbier mule.. Check it out. I think it speaks volumes for the actual design. Here's a shot from that site. I notice the side scoops and the shorter rear end are pretty much defined in this shot..

Its either them testing different body shapes/aero work or its them using fake panels to throw off the media and photographers to the true shape of the car.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:47 AM
C7pimp
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
That window is an issue from the time I saw the pic with the open door, below. It appears to show a camo panel on the top of the door (the circled area) which raises the window line by 2-3 inches. Also the top of the scoop on the door appears to be basically horizontal.

This. It's covering 2 inches of the window/window sill.

That same covering up of about 2 inches continues onto the 1/4 window.

The prototypes at Nurburgring a few months ago car had at least 10 fake panels on them. (4 per side, plus front hood and rear deck) and loads of cam tape/vinyl also obscuring lines.

Last edited by C7pimp; 01-24-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:00 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by C7pimp
This. It's covering 2 inches of the window/window sill.

That same covering up of about 2 inches continues onto the 1/4 window.

The prototypes at Nurburgring a few months ago car had at least 10 fake panels on them. (4 per side, plus front hood and rear deck) and loads of cam tape/vinyl also obscuring lines.

If true, we should be in for a great surprise and fun when it is finally uncovered! Looking forward to it!

Don't really see how the window height is off by 2 inches tho. In my comparisons to the c7 and other ME cars, the actual window height/opening shown in the camo cars is about the same and the c7.

Maybe I'm not understanding the observation?

Are you saying the bottom of the window extends down 2 inches more than what we see here?

If so... how? The mirror wedge corner dictates where the window needs to begin. Following a clean line back it would be hard to drop the line 2 inches IMO.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-24-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:14 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka

You mean something like this? Still high and very wide.
Who said these are the front panels?

To me they look like rear quarter panels. The top notch looks same as fbody for rear hatch where meets rear quarterpanel...?

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-24-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:21 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
Who said these are the front panels?

To me they look like rear quarter panels. The top notch looks same as fbody for rear hatch where meets rear quarterpanel...?

Well if there're not... they are a pretty good facsimile !

They "could be" early test parts and may not be 100% final but the basic lines sure match up with the leaked CAD images pretty good! ; )

...everything we see could all be lies of course....

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 01-24-2019 at 11:31 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by C7nut

The camo changes are quite entertaining. One day I posted an image of what the rear glass might look like under all the tape, the hypothetical being a kind of wrap around C4/C5 glass. A few days later the mules started having black out tape in the same design to make the car look like it had a glass rear hatch. GM clearly watches the forums. They have changed the camo several times to mess with people and in reaction to people figuring things out.
firstvettesoon (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 11:32 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
Well if there're not... they are a pretty good facsimile !

They "could be" earlie test parts and may not be 100% final but the basic lines sure match up with the leaked CAD images pretty good! ; )

...everything we see could all be lies of course....

Do you have the raw CAD image without the red lines on it? Did the CAD image have the headlight mock up or did you add it in?

To me these panels look like rear quarter panels.. look at the bottom part where it would interface with rocker panel. It doesn't make sense as a front quarter panel IMO.

if what I'm saying is true, that would imply this car is a lot more sharp edged than any of these renders. And also implies the side scoop doesn't really appear in the contours of the rear quarter panel, and mostly occurs in the door panel

Last edited by mammoth713; 01-24-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:41 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Rotated for easier viewing.

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress