Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 08:32 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
That was suggested quite a while ago. Its how Cadillac could say the BW will be exclusive to them. Corvette will use the block but w reversed heads, externally mounted turbos, different intake, cam profile(s), and calibration.
What are reversed and flipped heads mean?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:46 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
i am guessing (because I don’t know) that the Corvette will use different heads, back to a conventional configuration where the exhaust ports are facing outward. I believe that this new Caddy motor has the turbos mounted in the valley with the exhaust ports of the heads facing the valley for a shorter run to the turbo or turbos.

Last edited by John T; 02-14-2019 at 08:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Shaka (02-18-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Derivative, weak, and an insult to the original.

It is truly indicative of the size and scope of your talent. Thanks for finally putting up your best...
Shucks, that sounds like a compliment. I think. I'm all chocked up. I wrote GM and asked if I could built a replica but but they responded with an emphatic no. I tried to put a C3 rear on it but it is more like the P4 Ferrari. It has more volumtuous curves than Mitchell's car. It's for me, so I made it the way I want it. It will be my last Corvette. The rear lamps are 66 Vette. I start with a bunch of free hand sketches. The final detailing I'm busy doing on the buck, is done in clay. Even I am impressed. Don't judge 'till you've seen the real thing.

IronV (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:05 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by RedDropTop
Are these CAD drawings new? I've not seen these before.
Notice there are red circles and arrows highlighting possible sources of squeaks and rattles, which the automakers are hyper-sensitive about.
They're not new, but haven't gotten much circulation lately. They came out with the original "Zerv" dump. I didn't know that's what the red circles were about. I wish every designer would then have to go take apart his design a few times. I hate the snap together bumpers they've used on the C7 and now I can see they're using the same attachment inboard of the headlight. All to save a production step. Just use a stud plate with nuts like the C5 and make an access hole with the hood up inboard front of the fender. They already have an access hole there on the C7 to adjust the headlight beams. Makes working on the cars a crap shoot for if you're going to break something of get it back together properly. The snap-together unadjustable nature is why C7 bumper fit is all over the place.

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
That was suggested quite a while ago. Its how Cadillac could say the BW will be exclusive to them. Corvette will use the block but w reversed heads, externally mounted turbos, different intake, cam profile(s), and calibration.
Yeah I saw that... just reiterating it. Agree with you.

The Blackwing as designed for the Caddilac is a Hot-V, but since you know everything and are the expert on everything I assume you know this and are getting at something else playing with words. The "high feature" C8 motors will use the blackwing short block and head design, but with traditional side exit exhaust and inboard intake. I'm sure they'll require a unique head casting.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
The Blackwing as designed for the Caddilac is a Hot-V, but since you know everything and are the expert on everything I assume you know this and are getting at something else playing with words. The "high feature" C8 motors will use the blackwing short block and head design, but with traditional side exit exhaust and inboard intake. I'm sure they'll require a unique head casting.
I heard that they were working with Cosworth on the heads for the turbo V8s, so this should be pretty interesting.
Shaka (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:11 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,148 Likes on 5,983 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33
I heard that they were working with Cosworth on the heads for the turbo V8s, so this should be pretty interesting.
Where'd you hear that? Neat if true. They wouldn't build the blackwing at BG and not use some derivative of it in the C8.
Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Here you go.

Originally Posted by CorvetteBlogger
Cosworth Building New Cadillac Hot V Cylinder Heads, Hints at Future C8 Corvette Engine By Mitch Talley - Sep 24, 2018

We don’t know officially if there will even be a mid-engine C8 Corvette.

But already the rumor mills are spinning about the possibility of the legendary Cosworth company providing one of the more powerful engine versions for the next Corvette.

In a story about Cosworth’s new offices and factory in Shelby Township north of Detroit, Forbes is reporting that the company’s first product from that new facility will be cylinder heads for the 4.2-liter twin-turbo V8 that will debut in the 2019 Cadillac CTS V-Sport.

Forbes says no one from Cosworth would comment about upcoming products, but the website speculated that at least one derivative of the Cadillac V8 could be a more powerful version for use in the mid-engine Corvette.

We do know that Cosworth does have more products in the pipeline. “By the end of 2019, the plant will add more equipment to expand capacity for this and other derivatives,” said manufacturing engineer Ken Bowers, which would certainly fit in with the rumored timeline of Chevy eventually offering more powerful mid-engine Corvette versions as it’s done with previous generations.
Photo courtesy of Cosworth
Cosworth, which was founded in England 60 years ago by Mike Costin and Keith Duckworth, definitely has a long history with General Motors, including the 2.0-liter twin-cam four-cylinder engine in the mid-1970s for the Chevrolet Cosworth Vega.

More recently, the company has been producing its AliveDrive system available in the Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro where it is, of course, known as the Performance Data Recorder.

Source:
forbes.com via MidEngineCorvetteForum.com

CorvetteBlogger: https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...rvette-engine/

Last edited by elegant; 02-14-2019 at 10:20 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
RapidC84B (02-14-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM
TheSenator
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Shucks, that sounds like a compliment. I think. I'm all chocked up. I wrote GM and asked if I could built a replica but but they responded with an emphatic no. I tried to put a C3 rear on it but it is more like the P4 Ferrari. It has more volumtuous curves than Mitchell's car. It's for me, so I made it the way I want it. It will be my last Corvette. The rear lamps are 66 Vette. I start with a bunch of free hand sketches. The final detailing I'm busy doing on the buck, is done in clay. Even I am impressed. Don't judge 'till you've seen the real thing.

Congrats on being close to redesigning the Mach 5.
Big Lebowski (02-19-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 11:37 AM
mammoth713
Melting Slicks

Received 554 Likes on 277 Posts

Sure wish Englishman, Simon *** was involved with the design of the C8. Unlike Chaz and his groupie, he knows something about cars. Prodrive designed the chassis of the scien.
Are you familiar with Jordan Peterson?
You really talk big.. but yet strangely enough I don't see any renders with your name on it..

Why don't you come up with your own drawings or renders and make a new thread.. or STFU
The following 3 users liked this post by mammoth713:
AEmedic (02-15-2019), Jerradl1987 (02-14-2019), JockItch (02-16-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
I seem to remember a forum member who works at a local supplier claiming to have seen the "fully dressed" DOHC V8 for the C8. Could be, he works at Cosworth.
elegant (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 01:13 PM
Jerradl1987
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mammoth713
You really talk big.. but yet strangely enough I don't see any renders with your name on it..

Why don't you come up with your own drawings or renders and make a new thread.. or STFU
Shaka cant make renderings whatsoever, hes just really good at talking **** and drawing yellow/blue squiggly lines or pre existing renders. hes a 72 year old ***** that thinks he knows everything corvette, because he has a corvette. and an **** yellow ugly one at that.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

I'm all chocked up. Don't judge 'till you've seen the real thing.
”Chocked?” Well, something.

And please don’t criticize ANYBODY about being judgemental. Sheesh...
Old 02-14-2019, 06:29 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mammoth713

I think it is a little ripe to start a thread with your own name in the title unless you are a paying vender. To sign your work can be construed as such. I have been so cautioned. I don't know how others get away with it.
Also, if you start a thread, it belongs to the forum so it is open season and therefore it can be hijacked and contributors are free to post as they please within the sponsor's rules. I don't care if you don't know which are my renders.
When you start a thread with your own name, you hijack the whole damn forum which displays poor character and breeding. I take great exception to this type of conduct. I wonder what type of a person would do such a thing or what he does for a living?
It suggests gross insecurity and is an attempt to control the narrative apart from it being very rude. I have never seen such behaviour on any Forum. The only reason he invites opinions or 'suggestions' is to pretend that we, the decent members, are not aware of the guilt that lies within himself that he attempts to drown by so doing.

I would never do such a thing, if that is indeed your request? I will ignore such a request as it would not only violate my code of ethics but also, it would violate acceptable forum etiquette and protocol that both you and the thread starter abide. QED.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

I think it is a little ripe to start a thread with your own name in the title unless you are a paying vender. To sign your work can be construed as such. I have been so cautioned. I don't know how others get away with it.
Also, if you start a thread, it belongs to the forum so it is open season and therefore it can be hijacked and contributors are free to post as they please within the sponsor's rules. I don't care if you don't know which are my renders.
When you start a thread with your own name, you hijack the whole damn forum which displays poor character and breeding. I take great exception to this type of conduct. I wonder what type of a person would do such a thing or what he does for a living?
It suggests gross insecurity and is an attempt to control the narrative apart from it being very rude. I have never seen such behaviour on any Forum. The only reason he invites opinions or 'suggestions' is to pretend that we, the decent members, are not aware of the guilt that lies within himself that he attempts to drown by so doing.

I would never do such a thing, if that is indeed your request? I will ignore such a request as it would not only violate my code of ethics but also, it would violate acceptable forum etiquette and protocol that both you and the thread starter abide. QED.
I give up. I don't know what point you are trying to make. This is a rambling mess. Ignored.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:28 PM
B-Myster
Melting Slicks

Received 171 Likes on 58 Posts

Old 02-14-2019, 09:09 PM
foreverfuelie
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Really? Where the hell are the moderators? None of this childish bickering belongs on the forum. Please take this kind of crap to Facebook or whatever, and do your immature cyber bullying there. Get the hell off of here so the rest of us wanting Chaz, FVS and other creative folks to entertain our fantasies, thank you..��

Last edited by foreverfuelie; 02-14-2019 at 09:10 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by foreverfuelie:
AEmedic (02-15-2019), bgspot (02-15-2019), BillY2KFRC (02-15-2019), CorvettoBrando (02-19-2019), jdvann (02-14-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 09:41 PM
Random_Sample
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

The more of your posts I read, the more I think of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

I have a close friend of mine who is a well known leading expert in his field. He prefers to remain anonymous when he participates in forums relating to his professional background.

One of the things he notices are forum "experts" that are anything but the experts they think they are. Many times they are not unintelligent and do have something to offer. But the issue is separating what they know from what they think they know. Separating the wheat from the chaff, as it were.

Frequently their talent is inversely proportional to their arrogance and condescension.

Is that the case here? I don't know.
The following 2 users liked this post by Random_Sample:
CorvettoBrando (02-19-2019), Zaro Tundov (02-15-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 02-14-2019, 09:48 PM
Random_Sample
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Back on topic...

Chaz,

I'm really curious to see how close your renders are to the actual car. How close do you think you are? Also, has the C8 been the most challenging car for
you to decipher?
Old 02-14-2019, 11:26 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Random_Sample
Back on topic...

Chaz,

I'm really curious to see how close your renders are to the actual car. How close do you think you are? Also, has the C8 been the most challenging car for
you to decipher?
Thanks for asking. It seems whenever I’m challenged here, and I go to the trouble of aligning my model with another view or ta CAD or something, I’m still pleasantly surprised when it comes pretty close. I’m also a little depressed at the parts that don’t lineup, Some of which I know I can’t fix because of the way I’ve locked into modeling this car.Actually, this one has been easier but exhausting, but I have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of high-resolution spy pictures in varied lighting that give a lot of clues to the shape.

I’m highly confident that, not including headlights and scoop, it’s more than 95% accurate.

When I modeled the 2016 Camaro, there were plenty of shots at the Nürburgring. But nobody got so up close and personal as the guy who took the pictures of the Corvette at the gas station near the ring. With the 2015 Mustang, I had some help from eager forum members who sent me pretty good info. (That was never the case with cars I’ve modeled from GM). And it all started rather easily back in 2003 when I found isometric front side and top CAD renders of the actual 2005 Mustang. I even had a 3-D printer make a 1/18th scale model of it way back in 2003. I still have it in a box somewhere.

Last edited by chazcron; 02-14-2019 at 11:27 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by chazcron:
Atari_Prime (02-15-2019), B-Myster (02-15-2019), bgspot (02-15-2019), CorvettoBrando (02-19-2019), firstvettesoon (02-15-2019), foreverfuelie (02-14-2019), r00t61 (02-15-2019), RapidC84B (02-15-2019), RedDropTop (02-15-2019), ReddyZ06 (02-15-2019), Viper (02-15-2019) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-15-2019, 11:29 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
”Chocked?” Well, something.

And please don’t criticize ANYBODY about being judgemental. Sheesh...
Air Force term.

chock it up or chocked up

“Chalk it up” is a very old expression that goes back to the custom of writing a customer’s outstanding charges on a chalkboard, especially in a bar. Today it means to give credit in a more general sense, as in the expression “chalk it up to experience” (credit it to experience, add it to your account of experiences).” A successful team may chalk up another win.

You chock your aircraft up by placing chocks at the wheels. Chocked up means that you have been briefed/ de briefed before or after a mission. It's something like wheels up in the charter business. You only get paid for flight time from wheels up to wheels down. A company named Wheels Up is a part owner of this forum. George Soros is also involved.

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress