Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 04:20 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,150 Likes on 5,984 Posts

This part will be black trim in carbon fiber weave is my guess or painted black.
Attached Images  
Old 10-25-2018, 05:58 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Tool Hoarder
This part will be black trim in carbon fiber weave is my guess or painted black.

i will I’ll be surprised if the scoop is rounded at all. There are strong angular and sharp design cues everywhere else. Round will be a tough fit. We shall see soon... I hope.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (11-01-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:27 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

It's my opinion that the Pacman-shaped side scoop is a ruse. The reason I say that is because of the very thin inlet wall on the lower jaw portion of the Pacman side scoop. The upper jaw portion is substantially thicker. This is true for both the C8 and C8-R.

I superimposed onto the shots below of the C8-R the same scoop I traced from the May 2018 images. I did not alter the outline in any way other than to proportionally scale it, then rotate it to fit with the body lines shown in the photo of the car.

Last edited by DanSavage; 10-25-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Zaro Tundov (10-26-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 08:52 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by John T
^^^ Not exactly what I believe will happen but I really like this. Very excellent work!!
hope the scoop looks more like a lambo and offered in lambo yellow color, because i just saw one today-wow!
Old 10-25-2018, 09:09 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
chazcron, you are an amazing talent. I love what you are doing. Take all the artistic license you wish, for other than GM, none of us definitively know what the scoop is going to look like. What you have is really good looking.

Thank you very much!

I look forward to your work in progress continuing.
his gut I would trust after the 6th gen camaro work he did. So happy he has committed to doing this. Thank you!!!!
Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

So you you do not think the triangular lip on the door is real?

i understand your reasoning but the thin fake panel over the scoop starts at the top of the door edge and follows the general shape of the door cut out down toward the rocker.

The c8r V shape continues back from the top door edge as seen in some camo images at the same general angle as the V shaped c8R. Where it changes direction and ends is not known but your suggestied shape would mean the triangular piece on the door is fake even tho the image of the guy opening the door from under the lip suggests it it not.

It could be faked of course as could the rear fenders but would they test the car with very fake wrong panels?

As as I said above, the styling cues for the c8 seem to be sharp and angular. I can’t see how a roundish scoop will play into it but time will tell.

Originally Posted by DanSavage
It's my opinion that the Pacman-shaped side scoop is a ruse. The reason I say that is because of the very thin inlet wall on the lower jaw portion of the Pacman side scoop. The upper jaw portion is substantially thicker. This is true for both the C8 and C8-R.

I superimposed onto the shots below of the C8-R the same scoop I traced from the May 2018 images. I did not alter the outline in any way other than to proportionally scale it, then rotate it to fit with the body lines shown in the photo of the car.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:54 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by DanSavage

In the first photo it appears that the scoop extends only about a third of the way back from the door to the wheel well. In the second and third pictures the red line extends about two thirds of the way back. Seems it should be shorter then shown.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

This is really rough, probably not worth posting, requires a lot of imagination and you'll probably all hate it, but this is the first stand-alone render, hacked with photoshop. Remember, this is a "WORK IN PROGRESS" thread. (And get used to these placeholder wheels.) Only the roof is new, the rest is just clumsily hinted and not scaled out yet.

The following 7 users liked this post by chazcron:
dcbingaman (01-11-2019), dsword (03-10-2019), elegant (10-27-2018), NAH801 (10-29-2018), RedDropTop (10-25-2018), SoCalC7 (10-30-2018), wingman1659 (10-26-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-25-2018, 11:27 PM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

Very cool! I am enjoying seeing your progress!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:25 PM
wingman1659
Heel & Toe

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I really think you're on to it. Getting the hood right, getting the inside of the headlights right (drl) are going to be the real challenges I think. Great work so far!
Old 10-26-2018, 12:39 PM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice work man... I'm already imagining the little vents, carbon bits, etc that will bring it to life.

Last edited by SlasherMcGee; 10-26-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:01 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
So you you do not think the triangular lip on the door is real?

i understand your reasoning but the thin fake panel over the scoop starts at the top of the door edge and follows the general shape of the door cut out down toward the rocker.

The c8r V shape continues back from the top door edge as seen in some camo images at the same general angle as the V shaped c8R. Where it changes direction and ends is not known but your suggestied shape would mean the triangular piece on the door is fake even tho the image of the guy opening the door from under the lip suggests it it not.

It could be faked of course as could the rear fenders but would they test the car with very fake wrong panels?

As as I said above, the styling cues for the c8 seem to be sharp and angular. I can’t see how a roundish scoop will play into it but time will tell.
Yes. I'm of the opinion that the lower triangular pieces on both the street and race versions are fake.

I say this mainly because of how the upper and lower portions of the scoop transitions the thickness of the inlet lip.

The upper portion is thick, then tapers sharply to a thin lip on the triangular piece, then widens out to a thick lip once it merges back into the body at the bottom of of the scoop.

I agree. We will only see what the car really looks like once GM decides it's time.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:02 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tom73

In the first photo it appears that the scoop extends only about a third of the way back from the door to the wheel well. In the second and third pictures the red line extends about two thirds of the way back. Seems it should be shorter then shown.
Yes, I agree. Compared to the placement of the street car, the outlines on the racer are slightly aft of where they really should be. I just placed the outline in the general area to see how it fit.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:10 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by chazcron
This is really rough, probably not worth posting, requires a lot of imagination and you'll probably all hate it, but this is the first stand-alone render, hacked with photoshop. Remember, this is a "WORK IN PROGRESS" thread. (And get used to these placeholder wheels.) Only the roof is new, the rest is just clumsily hinted and not scaled out yet.
Why did you go back to including the fake panels from Nurburgring in your render?

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-26-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 03:16 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

CorvetteBrando: I do appreciate and agree with your analysis and detailed observations. If you look close I think I took all of these into consideration and addressed them in these renders. The only difference is the angles and perspective IMO.

Where the scoop goes after it disappears under the camo panel is a mystery but here are 3 possible versions.

The following 3 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
bgspot (10-29-2018), elegant (10-27-2018), tomlink (10-29-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:36 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

So many posts state that this panel is a fake, that that one is going to be changed later so that the revealed car will look very different from what we are seeing in our renderings.

Think of the cost of flying four ME’s to Nurburgring, probably a crew of 20-30, and spending days testing on the track. Many posts thing that GM was testing with deliverable inaccurate body panels.

Do we not think that inaccurate body panels would invalid much, most or all the test data learned from NRing?

GM has several employees who best job title could be “Masters of Disguise,” so skilled that while we believe we are now seeing just a single layer vinyl skin covering key parts of the car,, we are going to be mightily surprise at the reveal, e.g., how much is underneath the supposed single skin vinyl.

Video of GM disguise program for the current Camaro.

The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
firstvettesoon (10-26-2018), WetMountainMan (12-12-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 10:30 PM
ACCHRM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
CorvetteBrando: I do appreciate and agree with your analysis and detailed observations. If you look close I think I took all of these into consideration and addressed them in these renders. The only difference is the angles and perspective IMO.

Where the scoop goes after it disappears under the camo panel is a mystery but here are 3 possible versions.

Orange and Yellow version look the best by far!
ZishanM (10-27-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To chazcron's 3D model work in progress

Old 10-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Video of GM disguise program for the current Camaro.

https://youtu.be/Iqj0Ggvi1OE
Trouble is, they forgot to remove the disguise on the release version! Now they're fast-tracking a new fascia for the SS because, surprisingly, ugly doesn't sell.

LuisZ51 (07-11-2019)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:28 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Agree fully.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:58 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

So many posts state that this panel is a fake, that that one is going to be changed later so that the revealed car will look very different from what we are seeing in our renderings.

Think of the cost of flying four ME’s to Nurburgring, probably a crew of 20-30, and spending days testing on the track. Many posts thing that GM was testing with deliverable inaccurate body panels.

Do we not think that inaccurate body panels would invalid much, most or all the test data learned from NRing?
The tacked-on panel over the side scoop is the only part of the body I've been saying is fake. Maybe it's real. But if it is, it looks pretty crude to me.

Last edited by DanSavage; 10-27-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Zaro Tundov (10-27-2018)

Quick Reply: chazcron's 3D model work in progress