Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 looks like too many other cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 06:02 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,792 Likes on 4,231 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by norge1956
I dont what Chevy was thinking, hopefully they dont do that to the C8... The new Accord Camaro. I hope the Camaro fan boyz like it..

hmm I thought I was looking at the new Dodge Charger in that 1st pic above. Chevy is usually a couple years behind in design and copies a lot of what is already out there unfortunately.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:15 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by IronV
Jalopnik's comments on Chevy's efforts to fix the Camaro's disaster gaping maw of a front end...

"It’s a subtle change, but a good one if it happens. The updated Camaro’s all-black, gaping maw was a bizarre choice that ruined its aggressive looks and made it seem, I don’t know, too tall? Too wide? It’s a mess."
Going slight off topic.....The gaping maw look was started by Audi many years ago. It's since been copied by many makes, and models. I'm surprised that Camaro fans don't like it, and the Jalopnik article mentioned some of the other issues with the car such as visibility and the fact that the latest model refresh isn't much different. The drop in sales compared to the competition is dramatic.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:49 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

GM is IN LOVE with the high beltline/low roof look, which is, I suppose, cool for show cars, but horrible in real life.
Old 10-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Going slight off topic.....The gaping maw look was started by Audi many years ago. It's since been copied by many makes, and models. I'm surprised that Camaro fans don't like it...
Perhaps one reason is Audi’s looks like an integrated air intake. That Camaro, however, looks like the factory forgot to install the front fascia.
The following users liked this post:
Michael A (10-29-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 06:17 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

^^^^
That's a good way to describe it.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:00 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

I believe I will instantly like all aspects of the C8 or at least enough of it that I will want to get one (any aspects of the car I don't care for will grow on me just like they did with the C7). YMMV.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:02 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

We havent even seen the c8 yet and its already a derivative design?

Lets see the c8in prodiction form before we condemn it.
firstvettesoon (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
Jalopnik's comments on Chevy's efforts to fix the Camaro's disaster gaping maw of a front end...

"It’s a subtle change, but a good one if it happens. The updated Camaro’s all-black, gaping maw was a bizarre choice that ruined its aggressive looks and made it seem, I don’t know, too tall? Too wide? It’s a mess."
Sadly the Camaro's problems go deeper than it's nose cone.
  1. Outward visibility is worse than a Normandy beach bunker.
  2. Interior space is squandered for unknown reasons. The car has a longer wheelbase than the ATS sedan yet if the cup holders are occupied there is not even room to stash a smartphone.
  3. Styling language is like something out of an adolescent's wet dream after binge watching the Transformers for 8 hours nonstop. It's childish and cheesy. Tacky and gaudy. The designers who created the Camaro simply have no taste. No practical sense, either, since if they had dropped the belt line and enlarged the greenhouse it probably wouldn't look half as cheesy.

Here's what's baking my noodle: the Camaro was styled by the same team that styled the C7, right down to Hwasup Lee. Did they intentionally go ugly on the Camaro so as not to cannibalize Corvette sales? Because I cannot explain how the same people created both designs. There has to be more to it than "sorry, we did our best, guess we had a bad day."

Shaka (10-29-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 06:09 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Sadly the Camaro's problems go deeper than it's nose cone.
  1. Outward visibility is worse than a Normandy beach bunker.
  2. Interior space is squandered for unknown reasons. The car has a longer wheelbase than the ATS sedan yet if the cup holders are occupied there is not even room to stash a smartphone.
  3. Styling language is like something out of an adolescent's wet dream after binge watching the Transformers for 8 hours nonstop. It's childish and cheesy. Tacky and gaudy. The designers who created the Camaro simply have no taste. No practical sense, either, since if they had dropped the belt line and enlarged the greenhouse it probably wouldn't look half as cheesy.
Here's what's baking my noodle: the Camaro was styled by the same team that styled the C7, right down to Hwasup Lee. Did they intentionally go ugly on the Camaro so as not to cannibalize Corvette sales? Because I cannot explain how the same people created both designs. There has to be more to it than "sorry, we did our best, guess we had a bad day."
I think they delivered exactly what they thought they were going for and what they thought the customer wanted, they just missed the mark. I like to the exterior styling, I haven’t seen the inside, but they didn’t differentiate enough from the previous model, even though it’s all new from the ground up.

Last edited by chazcron; 10-28-2018 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:55 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT

hmm I thought I was looking at the new Dodge Charger in that 1st pic above. Chevy is usually a couple years behind in design and copies a lot of what is already out there unfortunately.
Subjective but I thought the 17’ Camaro as just perfect.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:57 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by norge1956
I dont what Chevy was thinking, hopefully they dont do that to the C8... The new Accord Camaro. I hope the Camaro fan boyz like it..

Unfortunately for Chevy, the Camaro fanboys aren't liking this front end either. Many of them bought '18s after seeing this front. I always thought styling clinics were a waste of time, and just promoted bland designs. I'm going to have to quality that now. If the designers have no skills, then a styling clinic is a good idea. I'm sure a clinic would have avoided this horrific design.
Zaro Tundov (10-29-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 10:02 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I have yet to see a camo pic of any car that "Overwhelmed" me...I think they all leave you a bit under whelmed
Old 10-31-2018, 12:36 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,792 Likes on 4,231 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by mcandrew67
I have yet to see a camo pic of any car that "Overwhelmed" me...I think they all leave you a bit under whelmed
I don't know, you can tell some cars are going to be gorgeous even with the camo. The C8 looks very blah - imho.

Quick Reply: C8 looks like too many other cars