Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on hidden exterior design details

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 02:47 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
You Guys do realize the camo version is NOT going to be much different than what your seeing - hoping its going to transform into something more appealing is not going to happen - reason - tooling would be all ready started at this point - takes a long time to make tooling - your welcome
THIS ^ ^
The Camo covering is not some loose fitting fabric flapping in the breeze we usually see when trying to hide the shape and contours.
This is a tight form fitted covering with a swirly black design.
Aside from any contrasting paint colors or carbon flash accents that may or may not be on the final product, ..... what we see now is what we're getting.
And IMO, once the Camo comes off, it's still going to be subjective to many whether it looks good or not, just like every other new Corvette Generation unveiling.
But pictures never do justice, Camo or not, and only after seeing it in person can the results be judged
The following users liked this post:
rsvette12 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 03:13 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I strongly believe the quarter panels are complete fakes. The actual car has to look better than this.
^^^^^^^^This. And for me the render below of a HT ME makes me
Even if not totally accurate. But with good proportions.

The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
bgspot (10-30-2018), purple heart (11-01-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 03:45 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

CorvetteBrando: I do appreciate and agree with your analysis and detailed observations. If you look close I think I took all of these into consideration and addressed them in these renders. The only difference is the angles and perspective IMO.

Where the scoop goes after it disappears under the camo panel is a mystery but here are 3 possible versions.

The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
bgspot (10-30-2018), elegant (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 07:25 PM
PHILLIP YOUNG
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

It is.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:40 PM
Mike in IA
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Is there going to be a new way to open the doors? The renders and the camo shots here do not show any "pockets" to put your fingers in & squeeze. Do we think there will be a touch sensitive panel under the upper part of the scoop?
Old 10-26-2018, 07:43 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike in IA
Is there going to be a new way to open the doors? The renders and the camo shots here do not show any "pockets" to put your fingers in & squeeze. Do we think there will be a touch sensitive panel under the upper part of the scoop?

[img]blob:https://www.corvetteforum.com/29a7ed...3-03cf3201f731

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 10-26-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Mike in IA (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 02:19 AM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I strongly believe the quarter panels are complete fakes. The actual car has to look better than this.

I think you are correct. But I'm curious why Chevy would feel it needs to do this.

Its a plastic car. It's pretty easy to make a false panel and bolt it on. But the question still is "why"?
Old 10-27-2018, 01:01 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Simple, they do it to maintain the element of surprise until the official reveal.
CorvettoBrando (10-29-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 01:26 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
CorvetteBrando: I do appreciate and agree with your analysis and detailed observations. If you look close I think I took all of these into consideration and addressed them in these renders. The only difference is the angles and perspective IMO.

Where the scoop goes after it disappears under the camo panel is a mystery but here are 3 possible versions.

FVS, as always, you've done an amazing job on these. Here are my crude, low-res edits to your middle one, which I think is the closest...

I believe the scoop extends down to the crease line between the rocker panel and the lower door sill, and going off my idea that the scoop shape echoes the quarter window shape, the lower half of the scoop is either mirrored exactly the shape and angles of the quarter window, or it is less acute an angular opening (I didn't draw it well). The side splitter extends more as I've drawn in yellow, and intersects the pinched-waist of the quarter panel rocker below the seam, not above it.

On the front, the blades, or teeth, whatever we want to call them, that form the central opening, are thinner and appear to taper in slightly as they ascend. I've circled it, referencing the paint shop panel. That lower lip is thinner, so I've fixed it (and circled it). If is was thicker, with more body-colored surface, as you've rendered it, the paint shop panel would have a much thicker, or deeper, body-colored lower lip, which would simplify manufacturing of the panel. It doesn't make sense, manufacturing-wise, to make it thin per the paint shop panel, and then add a second body-colored piece to make it appear the way you and others have rendered it. Aesthetically, the thinner lip also makes the nose look less pinched and out of proportion with the other areas of the car. Wide hips need a big mouth. It's a proportion thing. Does that make sense?

For reference:

Lastly, I circled a notch on the outer edge of the side opening, both in the rendering I edited and the paint shop photo. I believe there is a side panel that fits in there, made of carbon fiber, similar to the 2019 ZR1, that helps direct air flow into the opening. It would not be body-colored on the finished car - again, manufacturing simplicity. Chevy has historically created some strong design ties to the proceeding generation of car, and this would also be in line with those who have reportedly seen the C8 reporting ZR1-like cues in the front fascia.

Overall, I think you're very close. With my edits, the front view of the C8 would look more aggressive, like the second picture I've included below.

Thanks again, FVS (and many others!)

Last edited by CorvettoBrando; 10-27-2018 at 01:48 PM. Reason: forgot pictures
The following 3 users liked this post by CorvettoBrando:
bgspot (10-30-2018), elegant (10-29-2018), John T (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 03:17 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando
FVS, as always, you've done an amazing job on these. Here are my crude, low-res edits to your middle one, which I think is the closest...

I believe the scoop extends down to the crease line between the rocker panel and the lower door sill, and going off my idea that the scoop shape echoes the quarter window shape, the lower half of the scoop is either mirrored exactly the shape and angles of the quarter window, or it is less acute an angular opening (I didn't draw it well).
A very astute observation! I discussed this a while back, but in a nutshell, the side scoops mirror the rear quarter windows. They're not a perfect mirror image, think of it as a mirrored rhyme. Take the image below, rotate it right a few degrees, and replace the pointy vertex with rounded, kind of angular look, and you're 80% of the way to the real deal:

Image courtesy of C8 Render Maestro FVS.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zaro Tundov:
CorvettoBrando (10-28-2018), firstvettesoon (10-27-2018), John T (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 05:08 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

3 view Zaro elongated scoop version.

The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
bgspot (10-30-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-28-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 06:43 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando

I believe the scoop extends down to the crease line between the rocker panel and the lower door sill, and going off my idea that the scoop shape echoes the quarter window shape, the lower half of the scoop is either mirrored exactly the shape and angles of the quarter window, or it is less acute an angular opening (I didn't draw it well). The side splitter extends more as I've drawn in yellow, and intersects the pinched-waist of the quarter panel rocker below the seam, not above it.

On the front, the blades, or teeth, whatever we want to call them, that form the central opening, are thinner and appear to taper in slightly as they ascend. I've circled it, referencing the paint shop panel. That lower lip is thinner, so I've fixed it (and circled it). If is was thicker, with more body-colored surface, as you've rendered it, the paint shop panel would have a much thicker, or deeper, body-colored lower lip, which would simplify manufacturing of the panel. It doesn't make sense, manufacturing-wise, to make it thin per the paint shop panel, and then add a second body-colored piece to make it appear the way you and others have rendered it. Aesthetically, the thinner lip also makes the nose look less pinched and out of proportion with the other areas of the car. Wide hips need a big mouth. It's a proportion thing. Does that make sense?

For reference:

Lastly, I circled a notch on the outer edge of the side opening, both in the rendering I edited and the paint shop photo. I believe there is a side panel that fits in there, made of carbon fiber, similar to the 2019 ZR1, that helps direct air flow into the opening. It would not be body-colored on the finished car - again, manufacturing simplicity. Chevy has historically created some strong design ties to the proceeding generation of car, and this would also be in line with those who have reportedly seen the C8 reporting ZR1-like cues in the front fascia.

Overall, I think you're very close. With my edits, the front view of the C8 would look more aggressive, like the second picture I've included below.

Thanks again, FVS (and many others!)
Thanks CB !

I agree with most if not all of your observations. I think I took them all into consideration...more or less.

Some of the differences you note may be due to the angle of the image.

The front clip for example. The bottom rail does look thin in the paint shop image but we are viewing it from underneath and can not see the depth of the lip. In the camo image and render you can see the thin "front facing" edge and the "top" ledge of the same piece similar to a1x4 cross section.

The corner notch I agree with. There will be something there. In earlier versions I added the notch as a landmark. No doubt there will be an added part similar to the zr1 or maybe canards?

The side rocker/splitter is basically the angle difference. I traced it over the camo car so it should be accurate.

In the latest front image you can see that I addressed the grill in a similar way to the c7 zr1 since Nate said it reminded him of the zr1. We can see the front cameras in essentially the same position as the camo car and the center makes sense to be "open" for more potential cooling air and also adding a license plate adaptor. This design matches the lines of the camo as well.

The delta shaped blades are traced to match the camo from this angle. I agree it looks "thinner" in the paint shop image.

The front gif is a little off since I mirrored the image to even it up.

Let me know what you think!

The following 7 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
bgspot (10-30-2018), chazcron (10-28-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-29-2018), elegant (10-29-2018), rsvette12 (10-28-2018), Shaka (10-29-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-27-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-28-2018, 11:16 PM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

Finally! I’ve been wanting to see an overly gif of your work since I first saw it. Excellent.

Last edited by chazcron; 10-28-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Shaka (10-29-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 10:55 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks CB !

I agree with most if not all of your observations. I think I took them all into consideration...more or less.

Some of the differences you note may be due to the angle of the image.

The front clip for example. The bottom rail does look thin in the paint shop image but we are viewing it from underneath and can not see the depth of the lip. In the camo image and render you can see the thin "front facing" edge and the "top" ledge of the same piece similar to a1x4 cross section.

The corner notch I agree with. There will be something there. In earlier versions I added the notch as a landmark. No doubt there will be an added part similar to the zr1 or maybe canards?

The side rocker/splitter is basically the angle difference. I traced it over the camo car so it should be accurate.

In the latest front image you can see that I addressed the grill in a similar way to the c7 zr1 since Nate said it reminded him of the zr1. We can see the front cameras in essentially the same position as the camo car and the center makes sense to be "open" for more potential cooling air and also adding a license plate adaptor. This design matches the lines of the camo as well.

The delta shaped blades are traced to match the camo from this angle. I agree it looks "thinner" in the paint shop image.

The front gif is a little off since I mirrored the image to even it up.

Let me know what you think!

Great work! I still maintain the center lower lip will be thinner (we don't know definitively, I guess, due to the underside view - but wouldn't it look thicker if it went as deep as you've rendered it? who knows...), but either way, it's looking good to me. black out the side bevels on the side front inlets, which are actually vertical aero blades, I believe, and your front vehicle view is looking, I believe, very close to what we can expect. Great job as always!
Old 10-30-2018, 12:11 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default A river in Egypt...

You Guys do realize the camo version is NOT going to be much different than what your seeing - hoping its going to transform into something more appealing is not going to happen - reason - tooling would be all ready started at this point - takes a long time to make tooling - your welcome
Duh Nile.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:18 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Apples and Oranges

Originally Posted by SlasherMcGee
People thought this looked like **** as well:

This is not a remotely valid comparison.

The C7 was heavily cloaked in canvas and padding. The C8 is currently adorned with a thin, vinyl wrap. The C7's basic shape and proportions were concealed in that photo, the C8's basic shape and proportions are no longer concealed.

What you see, is what you get.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:20 AM
copjsd
Pro

Received 231 Likes on 117 Posts

Does anyone else believe that the C8 rear bumper cover (as seen on the paint-line photo) depicts the left and right rear vents slightly wrapping around the bumper cover as to be visible from a side view?

Last edited by copjsd; 10-30-2018 at 12:21 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on hidden exterior design details

Old 10-30-2018, 05:08 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by copjsd
Does anyone else believe that the C8 rear bumper cover (as seen on the paint-line photo) depicts the left and right rear vents slightly wrapping around the bumper cover as to be visible from a side view?

I found this render intriguing although some members described this as spam.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

The scoops are pivotal to the design so with faux panels and stretched vinyl it's easy to throw off the lines and proportions enough to ugly it up.

Look at what camo did to the C7, a classic design that's harder to guff up.

In other words...you're in for a surprise. If you like the C7 then odds are you'll swoon over the C8.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 10-30-2018 at 01:27 PM.
elegant (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 12:25 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

I appreciate all the work you guys are doing with these renders. I'm super excited and can't wait to see the actual reveal.

To those that don't like what they are seeing. Its fine if you don't like it. My thing is why continue to drop in and voice that over and over.....and over and over......AND over?!?! Just keep your previous gen car, or better yet go buy an exotic.
The following 2 users liked this post by bgspot:
CorvettoBrando (10-30-2018), purple heart (11-01-2018)

Quick Reply: Thoughts on hidden exterior design details