Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on hidden exterior design details

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 11:36 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Thoughts on hidden exterior design details

I am certainly not a digital rendering expert. Barely a novice, in fact. But I believe there are some clever, small pieces of camo that are fooling even our talented community of digital artists. The side scoop is a constant debate, as is the front clip, the front hood, and the entire back end details that still have camo wrap on them. Here are my thoughts: Blast away mates...
Firstly, if we surmise some patterns design cues, which is typical of car design aesthetics, many on the forum believe that the rear quarter window behind the door window is defined and understood from the C8.R spy photos: If that is a repeatable design cue, it is likely to be echoed in the side scoop design, especially given the proximity to it. Note here, with apparent breaks in the quarter window trim line indicated by my blue lines, and the corner with a small radius circled in blue. I believe that the production car's scoop will closely resemble that shape, and I've drawn it as it could appear on the production car. Note that the C8.R doesn't show a matching break point in the top trim line of the scoop. I've drawn it in. Now bear with me...

When we look at spy photos at the Nurburgring, we see the beveled top edge of the scoop disappear behind what many on CF conclude to be a fake, thin wrap that forms the decending, fake trim line of the scoop opening. Right where the fake wrap touches the bevel, there is a visible break in the trim line. I've circled and scored through the break point. See it here...

I believe this break point in the aesthetic trim line of the scoop matches the one found on the top of the quarter window. Now for the next detail on the side scoop: different view. I believe the corner of the scoop will mimic the small radius corner of the quarter window, as I have drawn on the C8.R photo above. I believe there is then another very subtle break in the bottom trim line of the scoop that closely approximates the shape of the bottom of the quarter window. Note the blue circled and line strike areas on the window shape match (as best as I can with my crude attempts) the scoop design. Here is another view of it from the other side and at a vastly different angle...

I colored the hidden bevel edge in red. I think the bevel will thin as the scoop descends towards the bottom break line (see my blue line). Now on to the yellow detail shown in this picture. I really think the renderings I've seen on CF, while VERY IMPRESSIVE, miss these details almost every time. The rocker sill has a slight curve to it as it flows towards the rear of the car and the scoop, appears to be slightly concave in shape up against the door, as extends further back into the section of the heavily pinched body in front of the rear wheel. It is a substantive design cue on the car...Now for the front deception:

That center section fill on the opening is fake. If we reference the front facia leaked in the pain shop photo, I think we notice a few things: The lower lip of the center opening is very thin. I've seen it drawn way to thick in almost all of the renderings. Notice how thin the lower center lip is...
Next, notice above how the strakes (teath?) separating the side openings from the center taper as they ascend towards the top edge of the opening? This is masked in the camo'd Nurburgring cars. They also added material on the leading edges to make them more square in shape (parallel defining lines, actually) and extended the shape OUTSIDE the upper lip of the openings. The upper lip in the paint shop fascia panel shows an uninterrupted edge from end to end. So more trickery on the camo car by Chevy. So I touched up the photo to closely match the leaked paint shop fascia. They may have changed it, but the thinner lower lip on the red fascia panel photo above create a more dynamic center aesthetic. Most of the renderings make the opening look too small and swallowed up by the side openings in terms of aesthetic balance. I tried my best to revise the photo in the picture below...

They may seem like subtle changes, but those small changes make a world of difference in the overall aesthetics. I'm hoping others with the amazing rendering skills can see what I see, and perhaps use these details to refine their renderings for accuracy. Let it fly, what do you think folks? Here's the camo car without editing for reference...
The following users liked this post:
Jimbob26 (10-30-2018)

Popular Reply

10-26-2018, 01:28 AM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV
The problem with what we're seeing so far is not a matter of detail. It's a matter of basic, unchangeable proportion and design direction. No amount of detail can change the giant, pushed-in grill. No amount of detail can change the chunk, big mac-induced profile. No amount of detail can change the giant, flat, rear end or the tiny greenhouse.

Good grief. It's already so busy that any additional detail will only add insult to injury. The thing looks as low and sleek as a cinder block.
People thought this looked like **** as well:

Old 10-26-2018, 01:01 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default "Detail" can't fix "Shape" or lack thereof...

The problem with what we're seeing so far is not a matter of detail. It's a matter of basic, unchangeable proportion and design direction. No amount of detail can change the giant, pushed-in grill. No amount of detail can change the chunk, big mac-induced profile. No amount of detail can change the giant, flat, rear end or the tiny greenhouse.

Good grief. It's already so busy that any additional detail will only add insult to injury. The thing looks as low and sleek as a cinder block.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-30-2018 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:28 AM
SlasherMcGee
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by IronV

The following 10 users liked this post by SlasherMcGee:
bgspot (10-26-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018), Dif (10-26-2018), DucMan 888 (11-04-2018), favrefan2k4 (10-26-2018), jcsperson (10-26-2018), Jimbob26 (10-30-2018), Rapid Fred (10-26-2018), Z51VetteFan (10-30-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-26-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-26-2018, 03:50 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

That front engine spy shot did look horrible ..

Thanks for posting that up and reminding us.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
bgspot (10-26-2018), CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:03 AM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlasherMcGee

Yes, many did. Thank you for lending some perspective. I didn't put the effort into the post for opinions on whether or not someone likes the design, but to discuss what's possibly been missed in speculative renders that I believe are visible, at varying levels, in the myriad of spy photos. I'm not asking for the same, tired indictment from some members of the overall C8 design aesthetics as a failure, nor for overjoyed praise of what's been revealed aesthetically either. I'm looking to continue the concerted efforts of the CF community to try and suss out details of design and see if we can slowly peel away the layers of camouflage to more refine our renders. Then, when the car is released, we all can either celebrate our success in speculation, or laugh at our failure in the same. It's a fun process.
IronV (10-30-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:42 AM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando
Yes, many did. Thank you for lending some perspective. I didn't put the effort into the post for opinions on whether or not someone likes the design, but to discuss what's possibly been missed in speculative renders that I believe are visible, at varying levels, in the myriad of spy photos. I'm not asking for the same, tired indictment from some members of the overall C8 design aesthetics as a failure, nor for overjoyed praise of what's been revealed aesthetically either. I'm looking to continue the concerted efforts of the CF community to try and suss out details of design and see if we can slowly peel away the layers of camouflage to more refine our renders. Then, when the car is released, we all can either celebrate our success in speculation, or laugh at our failure in the same. It's a fun process.
CB, at this moment I am on an IPhone and I am having a heck of a time seeing what you believe are the final shapes of the scoop and side window. From my perspective it looks like you just outlined the existing scoop shape on the C8R. Is there anyway you can be clearer on what you believe is the final shape? Again, the yellow line is very hard to see- and what is that for? You have my attention!

Last edited by John T; 10-26-2018 at 04:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:23 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I strongly believe the quarter panels are complete fakes. The actual car has to look better than this.

Last edited by NY09C6; 10-26-2018 at 07:24 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by NY09C6:
dreamr616 (10-26-2018), John T (10-26-2018), Shaka (10-26-2018), Zaro Tundov (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:32 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Default Looks are subjective...get over it.

While I agree that the front mid section appears open according to the paint shop pics, I disagree that the hole will be filled with a grille. I think a second piece similar to the prototype we've seen will be painted black to give the appearance of an opening, but will literally split the leading edge air to the brake ducts and possible oil coolers.

I do however think you are on to something regarding the rear quarter window shapes being influenced by the side scoop shape. I also thought the door sill treatment seemed a bit too overlooked when trying to figure out the shape of them.

Even so I would buy one of these "cinder blocks" in a heartbeat, because I like the dimensions, and if the car runs coilovers instead of leaf springs, ride height should be easy enough to correct.
purple heart (11-01-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:06 AM
rsvette12
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 249 Posts

You Guys do realize the camo version is NOT going to be much different than what your seeing - hoping its going to transform into something more appealing is not going to happen - reason - tooling would be all ready started at this point - takes a long time to make tooling - your welcome
The following 2 users liked this post by rsvette12:
IronV (10-30-2018), purple heart (11-01-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 09:28 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Supermassive
While I agree that the front mid section appears open according to the paint shop pics, I disagree that the hole will be filled with a grille. I think a second piece similar to the prototype we've seen will be painted black to give the appearance of an opening, but will literally split the leading edge air to the brake ducts and possible oil coolers.
There is another possibility. That second black piece you suggest could be optional for those who insist on using their state of residence license plate. Or even coming standard, dealer installed during PMI. That was a big deal with the C7 from Kirk Bennion.

P.S. Where is it disclosed that paint shop front grill is a ‘final’ production front facia? So much depends on that clue.

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 10-26-2018 at 09:30 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CRABBYJ:
firstvettesoon (10-26-2018), IronV (10-30-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 10:43 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by rsvette12
You Guys do realize the camo version is NOT going to be much different than what your seeing - hoping its going to transform into something more appealing is not going to happen - reason - tooling would be all ready started at this point - takes a long time to make tooling - your welcome
Then this car is a complete failure. But I have hope.
rsvette12 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:09 AM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Originally Posted by John T

CB, at this moment I am on an IPhone and I am having a heck of a time seeing what you believe are the final shapes of the scoop and side window. From my perspective it looks like you just outlined the existing scoop shape on the C8R. Is there anyway you can be clearer on what you believe is the final shape? Again, the yellow line is very hard to see- and what is that for? You have my attention!
John, thanks for pointing this out. I was cramming this in during a brief reprieve from work or house duties, and didn't do a good job with the photos (or check them on a small format screen). The yellow line is a trace of the door opening (minus the part on the roof sill). I zoomed in on the picture and filled in the scoop's bevel with red to better show the shape I'm describing. I think there is a possibility that we see a scoop shape more reminiscent of the C8.R's, but not on the base production model. I am thinking that the final shape closely matches the quarter window shape we see on the C8.R spy photo. Spy photos of the 'ring car have a fake panel to hide those little glass sections, the race car photos do not

I hope this photo helps more...

Here is a picture of the C8.R scoop for reference...

Last edited by CorvettoBrando; 10-26-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add un-edited picture for reference.
Old 10-26-2018, 11:26 AM
norge1956
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 117 Posts

Spy photos of the C7 had round taillights and totally different headlights. Everything is speculation..

Last edited by norge1956; 10-26-2018 at 11:30 AM.
CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:31 AM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Originally Posted by Supermassive

I do however think you are on to something regarding the rear quarter window shapes being influenced by the side scoop shape. I also thought the door sill treatment seemed a bit too overlooked when trying to figure out the shape of them.

Even so I would buy one of these "cinder blocks" in a heartbeat, because I like the dimensions, and if the car runs coilovers instead of leaf springs, ride height should be easy enough to correct.
I agree that it is certainly a possibility, even likely, that there is a center, blacked-out insert in the opening, especially given your point on directing air flow. I am fairly certain that any center insert will be in-set, with no protrusions beyond the strong character edge at the top of all three openings.

Good point also about the door sill relative to shape. Great obervations!
Old 10-26-2018, 11:43 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

The mold dies were completed over 2 years ago.
The following 2 users liked this post by skank:
CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018), elegant (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 11:47 AM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Haha, thanks. From an overall shape, I'd agree with you, relative to tooling. Hence my comments and study of the front, and reference to the leaked paint shop panels. It's the missing details that have thrown off many renderings I've seen. Details that are mostly hidden because of effective camouflaging: using small fake panels / tacked-on pieces, tautly wrapped, with optically confusing surface graphics. I'm not trying to transform it into something it's not, but more accurately, with the help of our community's skilled artists, depict the details that lie just beneath the camo surface. Hope has nothing to do with my post. Never once did I mention whether or not I like the design one way or another. I'm not going to burden CF with my subjective opinions on aesthetic success or failure of what Chevy has shown us so far.

You're correct, so much does depend on that clue. Overall shape of the front in spy shots matches that of the paint shop panel, so there's a high probability that leaked paint shop panel is the final product. Might those horizontal blades on the side openings be real? Yes. There is a lot of area in those large front openings for different shapes and details set within them. Great point about the license plated mount. We'll likely see that in the center opening.

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I strongly believe the quarter panels are complete fakes. The actual car has to look better than this.
It is possible, at least in some sections. There appears to be taut wrap on the front lid and rear deck that flattens curves and contours as well (and what may contend are fake, added ridges on the front lid). The overall dimensions of the rear quarter panels are close to what we'll see, I believe, but some contours have likely been exaggerated, while in other areas softened, to throw us off.

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

There is another possibility. That second black piece you suggest could be optional for those who insist on using their state of residence license plate. Or even coming standard, dealer installed during PMI. That was a big deal with the C7 from Kirk Bennion.

P.S. Where is it disclosed that paint shop front grill is a ‘final’ production front facia? So much depends on that clue.
You're correct, so much does depend on that clue. Overall shape of the front in spy shots matches that of the paint shop panel, so there's a high probability that leaked paint shop panel is the final product. Fits in line with general manufacturing processes and time lines. Might those horizontal blades on the side openings be real? Yes. There is a lot of area in those large front openings for different shapes and details set within them. Great point about the license plated mount. We'll likely see that in the center opening.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 10-30-2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button in the lower right hand corner (the middle icon) to make your responses to more than one person look like this!
The following 2 users liked this post by CorvettoBrando:
IronV (10-30-2018), rsvette12 (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 01:14 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
They are. Well, they're not total fakes, but they've been modified with additional padding and panels. The real scoops are incredible, very aggro yet graceful as well.

CorvettoBrando (10-26-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on hidden exterior design details

Old 10-26-2018, 01:39 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
They are. Well, they're not total fakes, but they've been modified with additional padding and panels. The real scoops are incredible, very aggro yet graceful as well.
So, Zaro Tundov, what do you think of what I'm seeing? I haven't even addressed the very complex design of the rear of the car...
Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CorvettoBrando
You're correct, so much does depend on that clue. Overall shape of the front in spy shots matches that of the paint shop panel, so there's a high probability that leaked paint shop panel is the final product. Fits in line with general manufacturing processes and time lines. Might those horizontal blades on the side openings be real? Yes. There is a lot of area in those large front openings for different shapes and details set within them. Great point about the license plated mount. We'll likely see that in the center opening.
Post #8 above from Supermassive: “While I agree that the front mid section appears open according to the paint shop pics, I disagree that the hole will be filled with a grille. I think a second piece similar to the prototype we've seen will be painted black to give the appearance of an opening, but will literally split the leading edge air to the brake ducts and possible oilcoolers.”

Could this be the case where the paint shop front facia is really, as suggested, the correct final version and the thinness of the lower edge is supported by a substantial splitter underneath. You noted how flimsy the very center, lower horizontal piece and is supported as can be seen by a bar running up. Possible just a trim piece to be removed before final assembly. But if not removed it is covered subsequently by an inset meshed full center grill.

The license mount black center section would then fit over the full grill BECAUSE there is no need for end to end air flow threw except on either center section end. But why? No obvious radiators. So the other need could be for brake rotor cooling or even just fresh air for cabin AC conditioning. The openings on the far outside look active because radiators can be seen once I lightened the pics. What cooling needs do they then fit. Oil cooling? That leaves what other needs in the center section?

Anyway, I lightened up the below pics for added detail for comment.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:07 PM
CorvettoBrando
Instructor

CRABBY J great points. The thin lower lip could direct mount to a frame element, and then it wouldn't have to be stiff on its own to maintain shape. I believe the exposed ducts in the center opening that you highlighted are for the brakes. There could be a lift reduction element built into those exposed vents instead, but I'm guessing brakes. As for the splitter, certain 'ring cars didn't have them, so I don't know that they're needed to support the thin lower central lip.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on hidden exterior design details