Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Mid-Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 12:44 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

General Motors is moving it's prices up! They are selling fewer cars but the ones they are selling cost more! The company reported adjusted earnings of $1.87 a share, up from $1.32 last year and above the average estimate compiled by Capital IQ for $1.25 a share. Revenue jumped by 6.4% year-on-year to $35.79 billion, beating the $34.85 billion consensus. Management said revenue increased amid strong crossover sales and the volume of sales of recently launched pickup trucks. Earnings increased "primarily due to strong volume driven by crossovers and light-duty pickup trucks and pricing discipline, partially offset by mix, foreign exchange and commodity headwinds."

"The brand is capitalizing on the country's luxury trend, and sales are expected to grow for the full year," GM said. Market share in the third quarter fell to 10.8% from 11.1% the previous quarter and 11.8% in the same period last year. In its earnings statement, the company attributed the decline to disciplined incentive spending, transition to the company's new light-duty trucks in North America and adoption of new fuel-efficient technology in China, the company said.

This is info from MT Newswires at 9:24 AM ET, 10/31/2018. Read it and weep if you think you'll be buying a luxury mid engine sports car from GM for a Stingray price.
The following users liked this post:
skank (10-31-2018)
Old 10-31-2018, 12:52 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
So you are claiming that GM got Corvette right in 1953 and that is why it has been successful all these years?

The new ME is about as far removed from the 1953 Corvette as any car in history. OTOH, Porsche is still building rear engine cars just like it did in 1948 when it started sports car production. Likewise the Jag F-type has a lot more in common with the XK120.

Your "logic" is ludicrous.
Oh my lord...I SAID LONGEST RUNNING SPORTS CAR NAME PLATE. Jeez, are you this thick all the time????
What in the HELL are you arguing about? The answer is SIMPLE. The CORVETTE, as a model and a NAME PLATE has been produced since 1953. The closet rival (using the SAME NAME throughout history is the M-B SL) I don't think a modern Corvette is like a 1953 any more than a 356 is like a GT2RS...that's just crazy talk.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltomn
General Motors is moving it's prices up! They are selling fewer cars but the ones they are selling cost more! The company reported adjusted earnings of $1.87 a share, up from $1.32 last year and above the average estimate compiled by Capital IQ for $1.25 a share. Revenue jumped by 6.4% year-on-year to $35.79 billion, beating the $34.85 billion consensus. Management said revenue increased amid strong crossover sales and the volume of sales of recently launched pickup trucks. Earnings increased "primarily due to strong volume driven by crossovers and light-duty pickup trucks and pricing discipline, partially offset by mix, foreign exchange and commodity headwinds."

"The brand is capitalizing on the country's luxury trend, and sales are expected to grow for the full year," GM said. Market share in the third quarter fell to 10.8% from 11.1% the previous quarter and 11.8% in the same period last year. In its earnings statement, the company attributed the decline to disciplined incentive spending, transition to the company's new light-duty trucks in North America and adoption of new fuel-efficient technology in China, the company said.

This is info from MT Newswires at 9:24 AM ET, 10/31/2018. Read it and weep if you think you'll be buying a luxury mid engine sports car from GM for a Stingray price.
"Luxury"????
When did that come up. I certainly don't consider my C7 a "luxury" sports car. That's the SL's job
Old 10-31-2018, 01:00 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
"Luxury"????
When did that come up. I certainly don't consider my C7 a "luxury" sports car. That's the SL's job
One can easily call the upscale equipment suggested in the ME, "luxury." Have you ever sat in an Aston Martin or Ferrari? I would handily refer to them as luxury.

Last edited by ltomn; 10-31-2018 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:14 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Oh my lord...I SAID LONGEST RUNNING SPORTS CAR NAME PLATE. Jeez, are you this thick all the time????
What in the HELL are you arguing about? The answer is SIMPLE. The CORVETTE, as a model and a NAME PLATE has been produced since 1953. The closet rival (using the SAME NAME throughout history is the M-B SL) I don't think a modern Corvette is like a 1953 any more than a 356 is like a GT2RS...that's just crazy talk.
Whatever dude. Your argument makes no sense.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:21 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by ltomn
One can easily call the upscale equipment suggested in the ME, "luxury." Have you ever sat in an Aston Martin or Ferrari? I would handily refer to them as luxury.
The Aston Martin/Bentley/Maserati/Alfa Romeo/Ferrari dealer is 2 blocks from my office so yes, I have seen and sat in PLENTY.
So, based on NO real info, you decided that the C8 is going to LEAPFROG the 911 and go straight to Aston Martin and Ferrari as it's market competition?
Got it.
As far as price range from low to high, the 911 goes from $91,100 (Carrera) to $293,200 (GT2RS)
Old 10-31-2018, 01:24 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Whatever dude. Your argument makes no sense.
Because you either can't read or want so much to be RIGHT that you can't take FACTS, or you still don't grasp the difference between "brand" and "name plate".

Whatever yourself...what are you, 13?

Welcome to Corvette Forum, where newbies and non participants jump in and yell and scream, also known as TROLLING.

Last edited by jimmyb; 10-31-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:46 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

The Aston Martin/Bentley/Maserati/Alfa Romeo/Ferrari dealer is 2 blocks from my office so yes, I have seen and sat in PLENTY.
So, based on NO real info, you decided that the C8 is going to LEAPFROG the 911 and go straight to Aston Martin and Ferrari as it's market competition?
Got it.
As far as price range from low to high, the 911 goes from $91,100 (Carrera) to $293,200 (GT2RS)
You just proved Ltomn's point as some consider Porsche's interior to be equal to Ferrari and some AM's

Last edited by skank; 10-31-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:58 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Originally Posted by skank
You just proved Ltomn's point as some consider Porsche's interior to be equal to Ferrari and some AM's
I was addressing the low to high price concern within one name plate, using the 911 as an example. I don't think he mentioned the 911, I did.

Quick Reply: Cost of Mid-Engine