Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 07:01 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
and twice a year the county runs a street sweeper on the streets in my subdivision.
Just funnin' ya, but, seriously -- isn't that like washing your car 2X.year? I mean, why bother at all? Do you guys never get rain that washes that stuff down the storm sewers anyway?
Old 11-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

In a lot of states that gas tax just goes into the general operating fund, not for highway construction/maintenance.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:09 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Not when it completely outperforms the competition. Example -- a Z51-equiped Vette is about the same price as a stripper 718, I believe. It offers way more performance to the consumer, really does not suffer much in terms of quality and content, and so does not lose. If somehow GM can build a $170K sports car that measurably outperforms the similarly priced Porsche, and is recognizably better in percieved quality than lesser Vettes, it also will not lose.

I still would not put it past GM to have a multi-model Vette strategy unfolding before us over the next 18-24 months. If they have made the business case AND can execute (big "ifs" I know) it would be really cool, don't you think?
What? You lose plenty. Quality and content are easily lost. The interior in the 718 is far superior. Also, the standard interor kit comes with plenty of bells and whistles already built in. In fact, the build quality of the whole car is better. It's not a bang for your buck comparison, and it never will be. If you want a decent steak for cheap, go to Outback. If you want higher quality, you have to go to Ruth Chris. Is paying triple for a steak that is arguably only 10%-20% better worth it? That's up to the user to decide based on what's important to them. Yes the corvette has more power, yes it may go around a corner faster, but there is so much more to what makes a car great than a few numbers that won't matter when the next fast car comes along.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, Norway has put much of that North Sea money they made and "saved it for the people." They do have enough for folks retiring! Not like us!
Actually Venezuela and Nigeria have more oil reserves but those countries are so corrupt that all the wealth is wasted. Corruption in Norway is far less than the U.S.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:27 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
What? You lose plenty. Quality and content are easily lost. The interior in the 718 is far superior. Also, the standard interor kit comes with plenty of bells and whistles already built in. In fact, the build quality of the whole car is better. It's not a bang for your buck comparison, and it never will be. If you want a decent steak for cheap, go to Outback. If you want higher quality, you have to go to Ruth Chris. Is paying triple for a steak that is arguably only 10%-20% better worth it? That's up to the user to decide based on what's important to them. Yes the corvette has more power, yes it may go around a corner faster, but there is so much more to what makes a car great than a few numbers that won't matter when the next fast car comes along.
What's so superior about this interior over a C7?

desmophile (12-01-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:30 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pdiddy972

What's so superior about this interior over a C7?

The little clock up on the dashboard. Gotta have that!
Old 11-29-2018, 11:28 PM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

It's a sea of plastic. And it probably doesn't even have Android Auto or Apple Carplay integration. Or PDR. Or magnetic shocks.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, Norway has put much of that North Sea money they made and "saved it for the people." They do have enough for folks retiring! Not like us!
Actually, Norway is selling(exporting) a lot of their oil and use the money they receive to pay for the "bribes" so their citizens can afford the Tesla's(and other EV's) that Norway mandates that they buy.

A lot of irony in that they sell dirty oil to pay for clean electric vehicles. Kind of like California importing electricity produced from burning coal(in surrounding states) so they can mandate their citizens buy clean electric cars. Oh, the irony.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-29-2018 at 11:54 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
Just funnin' ya, but, seriously -- isn't that like washing your car 2X.year? I mean, why bother at all? Do you guys never get rain that washes that stuff down the storm sewers anyway?
We get more ice than snow and they spread 1/4" crushed stone(with sharp edges to bite into the ice and get a grip on the tires), so they run sweepers to pick up the crushed stones after the season turns. The crushed stones don't wash away very easy with normal rainfall into the storm sewers.

I'm thankful they do sweep as I have had to have two windshields replaced from those little stones in town, because they don't wash away from rain or melting ice/snow. Hate to have to pay for a new windshield every year.

They are not trying to remove normal dirt..

Rapid Fred (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 05:59 AM
PerKr
Racer

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
I think the engineers have stated that the C7 is about as far as you can put the limits of a Front Engine car. So, to take the next step it has to be mid engine or you are just going no where better than before.
That's what the engineers say publicly. You need to remember that the engineers are told what they can say by the marketing department. This holds true regardless of what product is being sold. There are certainly areas to improve on the corvette, the most obvious one being undercarriage aerodynamics. For all-out performance on the track however, a mid-engine layout is a nice place to start.

Returning to the OP's question though, I'm divided.
Some have kept going on about mid-engine as if that would be the magical solution to all corvette-related problems though in many cases it just seems to be a case of F-car envy. If track performance and bragging rights are important factors then mid-engine is not a bad decision at the moment. That said, it's apparent that most drivers aren't up to the standards of the cars and that this has been the case for a very long time.
There are those, however, who aren't looking at corvettes as a lower-priced F-car alternative. Those who look at corvettes because they are corvettes. Those who actively buy a corvette instead of a P-car or F-car. Those who couldn't care less about ultimate track performance (but still enjoy seeing a corvette keep up with far more expensive alternatives). Those who buy a corvette for similar reasons why some people buy a porsche 911. Just like there are people who opt for a Ferrari F12tdf over a 488.

The question is what is going to lose them more customers.
pdiddy972 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:17 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Actually, Norway is selling(exporting) a lot of their oil and use the money they receive to pay for the "bribes" so their citizens can afford the Tesla's(and other EV's) that Norway mandates that they buy. A lot of irony in that they sell dirty oil to pay for clean electric vehicles..
Norway wants clean air. I don't find that ironic. Choking on pollution is not my idea of fun.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Norway wants clean air. I don't find that ironic. Choking on pollution is not my idea of fun.
Then you believe it's okay to have your neighbor breath dirty air so you can breath clean air at your neighbor's expense? That's hypocritical, don't you think?

If Norway is so concerned about clean air, then why don't they stop selling dirty oil to their neighbors. It's called "man made GLOBAL warning, I believe, not "man made Norway warming".. Shut down their oil industry and make their citizens pony up the full price of an EV that the mandate their citizens to buy, or tax themselves to pay for the subsidies required in order for their "not so rich" citizens need to have in order that they can purchase the expensive Tesla's.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:21 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Then you believe it's okay to have your neighbor breath dirty air so you can breath clean air at your neighbor's expense? That's hypocritical, don't you think?

If Norway is so concerned about clean air, then why don't they stop selling dirty oil to their neighbors. It's called "man made GLOBAL warning, I believe, not "man made Norway warming".. Shut down their oil industry and make their citizens pony up the full price of an EV that the mandate their citizens to buy, or tax themselves to pay for the subsidies required in order for their "not so rich" citizens need to have in order that they can purchase the expensive Tesla's.
Yeah, I think your idea could really work. Why don't you propose it to Norway?
Old 11-30-2018, 04:46 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73
In a lot of states that gas tax just goes into the general operating fund, not for highway construction/maintenance.

Not exactly, the federal gas tax goes into the Federal Highway Trust Fund, which is doled out by the Federal Highway Administration, which is part of the US Department of Transportation. The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel fuel. The federal tax was last raised in 1993 and is not indexed to inflation, which increased by a total of 64.6 percent from 1993 until 2015.

That money is dedicated exclusively to Federal highway construction and maintenance (e.g. interstates and US highways). The fact that it has not been raised in 25 years and that it is tied to the gallon as opposed to mileage is the major reason US highways are crumbling. Not only has inflation eaten away at buying power for construction and maintenance, but vehicles are more fuel efficient leaving much less money in the trust fund.

Each state also imposes their own gas tax, and in some states some of that money might find it's way into the general operating fund, but not true for the Fed portion.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-30-2018 at 04:52 PM.
Rapid Fred (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 05:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, it won't be long before every gasoline and diesel engine left will be turbocharged. It's the only way to go, and turbo technology now is unbelievably good and reliable.
Every engine BMW sells, gas and diesel, is equipped with turbocharging. The 2.0L in my 5 series has 252 HP, 0-60 in just over 6 seconds and gets 34 mpg on the highway. The days of the NA engine is probably going the way of the Dodo bird just like manual trannies.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:40 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
I either missed your point or you missed mine. I obviously understand the tradeoffs. But, in the marketplace, which is what I was talking about, more performance at probably a slight decline in PERCEIVED quality (German stuff breaks too, and the "Porsche tax" makes the "Vette tax" look tiny) has never been a losing proposition for the Vette....
Old 07-10-2019, 01:57 AM
Dj_or_dj
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Here you guys go .....

What are the EXEC’s at GM thinking they merged a Fiero, and a Camaro, had a angry drunken European supercar orgy and gave birth to whatever this is, and are calling it a Corvette? They are even offering it as a “detuned” version of what their original proposal was. Only because the engineers continue to fail in making a chassis that can support the power that the proposed engine has the capability of making wothout tearing up the rest of the car. This is way too early for GM to bring this “Camerovette” in to existence. They should have researched more and hurried less. Because what did they truly bring us? A $100k pos, this car is going to either bring GM to their knees or end the Corvette and Camaro indefinitely. Did 1984 not teach them anything? They brought the C4 out too early stopped production and re continued, a year later. I believe chasing this European dream is going to cause a catastrophic failure for the name “CORVETTE” name and end two american Legacies.

just for the skeptics that say its a camaro. LOOOL

and say good by to the Camaro in 2020. 🤦🏻

Last edited by Dj_or_dj; 07-10-2019 at 02:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,608 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Dj_or_dj
Here you guys go .....

What are the EXEC’s at GM thinking they merged a Fiero, and a Camaro, had a angry drunken European supercar orgy and gave birth to whatever this is, and are calling it a Corvette? ����
Must admit, the rear view by itself looks very busy and way to many complex recesses to look good! Will have to wait to see the whole car but this first pic with no camo sure is not a good start! Not being a fan of "Blue" perhaps in another color? Sure hope the "fat fender Z06/GS" version looks better!

GM Marketing guys must be livid as the first pics will be what they have taken from the best angles and lighting! Someone will get fired for this pic being allowed to be taken or for a cell phone being allowed in the plant!

Don't buy any of the BS chassis design issues however- it will function just fine!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:07 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Triple Black

I think it’s looked at as an “old man car” because that’s the general demographic that can afford it. I’m 31 and I get asked all the time how I afford my cars. It’s not expected that young people can afford these cars.
that is exactly it. The majority of people driving driving Porsche are not young either. For the most part young buyers buy far cheaper cars.
bgspot (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 10:32 AM
Vette_Pilot
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by loyalsince72
Every Corvette engineer has said that we're reaching the limits of the front engine car for performance and handling. Zora wanted to build one decades ago. How can ANYBODY be surprised that it is finally a reality? The new ZR1 is a graphic demonstration that the capabilities of the drivetrain exceed the capabilities of the vehicle.
How could the limits of the FE being reached? The average Vette owner drives no where near the capabilities of these toys!!! Heck when I had my 01 Z06 I really couldn't do that much with it as far as reaching it's limits!!!!

Last edited by Vette_Pilot; 07-10-2019 at 10:34 AM.
raylo (07-10-2019)

Quick Reply: Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?