Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I agree that the strategy here is to attract an entirely new pool of Corvette buyers, who never seriously considered it before. The Corvette demographic is old and will be dying off quickly over the next decade. Sure, there will be "traditionalists" who won't like it, but I think they will more than be replaced by new buyers if GM gets it right and prices it under anything else comparable, as they've always done.
Makes sense as long as they price it right like they have done in the past.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:37 AM
OVR60
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

The C7 is probably the last Corvette for this generation of buyers and they will look at a ME but will never buy one. If the new generation of buyers want a sports car they will buy one that has a proven track record that has been engineered over many years and not a first year unproven introductory model. It will be interesting to see a ME for under a $100K and to do this the GM bean counters will have a lot of work ahead of them.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:01 AM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 219 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Bigger Younger World Wide Market

I believe Corvette has a bigger and younger worldwide market in mind for the C8. Just look where ZORA is trademarked.
https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2018...cluding-china/

Originally Posted by falcon5619
Just curious if this is just an evolution of the Corvette or if in fact there is a bunch up pent up demand for a mid engine version of the car? The idea of a more affordable Ferrari, Audi R8, etc. sounds enticing but I just wonder how much of the Corvette community actually wanted such a design? Is it something the Corvette designers wanted to build for a long time but just never did so?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:02 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

As long as GM can keep the price in line with the current generation then I'm all for a ME Corvette but don't expect me to pay a premium just because it's a "ME".
The following 2 users liked this post by themonk:
desmophile (11-22-2018), Mike Campbell (07-10-2019)
Old 10-30-2018, 01:36 PM
bgspot
Burning Brakes

Received 285 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by marknagy13
To me, as a 26 year old who can actually afford it, I love the idea of a mid engine Vette. I have always loved Vettes but they have kind of always been perceived as an "old man" car, or at least the base model has.
The ability to have an American v8 with radical mid engine looks, I think will appeal to a newer audience of younger people like me who want something new and fresh.
As a 36 year old who bought his first vette at 24 i totally agree with this. I can't even count the number of young people i've met over the past 12 years who know that the vette is a great performing car but have a huge disconnect with it. It just doesn't resonate with young people. But the C7 definitely changed that and the C8 will take it a step further. Price will be a concern but in my field (IT networking/security/project management) i see a lot of young people with salaries that vary from 70k-200k that could easily afford a vette but instead choose Mustang, Hellcat challenger, GTR, Lambo or McLaren. Those cars just appeal more to younger people that have money more so than the vette seems too. In big cities like Houston and Dallas I'm observing more young people in C7's than i did during the C5 and C6 runs. But thats just been my observation.

Last edited by bgspot; 10-30-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 07:48 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomic Fred
^^^^^^^

This...
That...
Old 10-30-2018, 07:56 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

The Corvette demographic is old and will be dying off quickly over the next decade.
Dying off quickly? WTF are you talking about? I'm 73, go to the gym almost every day and train hard, drive the hell out of my C7 vert, and plan on driving Vettes another 20 years, minimum.

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 10-30-2018 at 07:59 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by F4 Phantom:
1985 Vette (07-10-2019), Corgidog1 (07-12-2019), GTX JOHN (07-10-2019), Mike Campbell (07-10-2019), rcooper (11-03-2018), tertiumquid (07-14-2019), wadenelson (12-01-2018), z06801 (07-10-2019) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:03 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
Dying off quickly? WTF are you talking about? I'm 73, go to the gym almost every day and train hard, drive the hell out of my C7 vert, and plan on driving Vettes another 20 years, minimum.
Don’t mind the insecurities of the « watered down generation »...

A couple of glasses of red wine ...And a Corvette in the garage is the secret to a long healthy life.

God bless
Old 10-30-2018, 10:51 PM
blb078
Racer

Received 198 Likes on 102 Posts

I don't think any of it will matter, in the end if it looks good, performs good, and is priced appropriately then people of all demographics will buy it.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:14 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by blb078
I don't think any of it will matter, in the end if it looks good, performs good, and is priced appropriately then people of all demographics will buy it.
100% accurate.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:56 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
My comment was all about the aging of the "baby boomer" generation, which is tremendously larger than any other living generation. As it ages, it's economic effects have been likened to a pig in a python. Eventually, what's left of the pig exits the python and the bulge is gone.

Sure, new 50-somethings are being created every day, but there are just not as many of them as there used to be. That's why it's important for any product to appeal to the broadest possible age demographic.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:38 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Good points Foosh. For everyone one who is super physically fit in the retirement group (and count me in that category), there are many who are the oppsosite, have bad backs so they no longer can get in or out of sports cars or much worse, but even wishing them all medical health for many more decades, there is a compounding demographic of greatly reduced income for most once they retire. In my Corvette club, the number who are buying new Corvettes keeps sinking as more and more are retiring — and can no longer afford one.

The mid engine is going to compensate for this demographic by attracking tons of new, brand-conquest, upper middle class folks in far younger age groups than the C5, the C6, and even the C7 did.
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
Mike Campbell (07-10-2019), Shaka (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 01:43 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant
Good points Foosh. For everyone one who is super physically fit in the retirement group (and count me in that category), there are many who are the oppsosite, have bad backs so they no longer can get in or out of sports cars or much worse, but even wishing them all medical health for many more decades, there is a compounding demographic of greatly reduced income for most once they retire. In my Corvette club, the number who are buying new Corvettes keeps sinking as more and more are retiring — and can no longer afford one.

The mid engine is going to compensate for this demographic by attracking tons of new, brand-conquest, upper middle class folks in far younger age groups than the C5, the C6, and even the C7 did.
Hey, you are a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:35 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

The Corvette demographic is old and will be dying off quickly over the next decade.
The stupidity exhibited on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

The following 2 users liked this post by BMadden:
JustinStrife (11-23-2018), Mike Campbell (07-10-2019)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:24 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

The principal flaw in most predictions that the younger, upper middle class buyers will flock to the ME C8 or any sports car, is that if you are under 40 and making $250k/yr, you probably live in an expensive area and have a wife and kids with all that goes along with it, and no two seat car works as anything but a 3rd or 4th car for those families, so the pool of buyers will always be relatively small. So long as two seat cars need to sell in volume, they need to be reasonably priced so that the more middle income ($100-200k/yr) people who are past child raising age can afford them - you know the 50-70 years olds that have bought the majority of Corvettes since the 1980's (and maybe before).
The following 4 users liked this post by LIStingray:
1985 Vette (07-10-2019), AORoads (11-03-2018), JustinStrife (11-23-2018), wadenelson (12-01-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 04:43 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

And, as one who has just recently retired, it is a financial bitch! You need to be saving those acorns people, retirement age comes much faster than one thinks, i.e. tempus fugit!

Last edited by PurpleLion; 11-03-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:04 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Today tahoes and escalades cost about the same as corvettes if not more.

usually its the compromises and fear of not having four seats and four doors that people think they have to have that is slowing down sales of two seat sports cars..

corvettes are relatively inexpensive considering what they offer from a performance perspective so they sell in relatively higher unit volume.

many of us learned decades ago the benefits of two seaters and the fact we can not carry more than one passenger is a huge plus in getting out of family transport crap...

i learned that from my dad who has been gone for 29 years and was a 2 seat sports car owner his whole life.

half the american public thinks they have to have four door cuv s to survive the zoombie apocalypse.

i suggest two seat sports cars are the best way to avoid having to deal with any and all zombies (j/k) that may come across in your life.

as a side note...if you dont want to almost double your cost for a corvette...be smart and get the options that you as a person place as a priority...

dont check off every box on the option list...

if you made a good living your whole life and you lived a sensible life...following that same path should put a c8 in your garage without too much of an issue.

im planning a c8 z51with dct npp and mrc...

i dont expect it to cost too much more than todays c7 with the same features or options..add five grand over todays similiarly equipped car and call it a day...

if my butt or back needs a massage ill have my girl do it when i get home...if i need heat or some cooling ill have her either light my *** on fire or blow..(kidding) my opinion use a balanced common sense approach on the option list...

most corvette owners pay in full with cash but if anyone is stressing out you can with todays low interest rates always take out a loan.

Rmember corvettes have pretty decent residuals...its the option list that dreciates at 100percent right away with the exception of performance items on high performance sports cars like corvette....

In my experience and opinion the value retention on z51 corvettes with light luxury options hold their values the best and they sell the fastest on resale...

for those worried about retirement income etc...consider the purchase as a comparative ownership cost experience for a period of time if you are aging out of the sports car market in general to to lack of dexterity coming sooner rather than later...

life truly is about the experiences we have rather than the “things “ we own when we pass on.

Im one year away from the age my never sick dad passed on 29 years ago so in my opinion this balanced perspective has some merit to consider for enjoying the chosen priorities of life.

one trip one journey....

Last edited by JerriVette; 11-03-2018 at 07:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JerriVette:
Mike Campbell (07-10-2019), tertiumquid (07-14-2019), Tha7osavage (11-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Old 11-03-2018, 07:08 AM
flyingbunnys
Le Mans Master

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
And, as one who has just recently retired, it is a financial bitch! You need to be saving those acorns people, retirement age comes much faster than one thinks, i.e. tempus fugit!
That's why I put 15% of my pay in my retirement account! I'm still young too I think at 31 are old.

I currently have a C6. the C7 was very much considered and my wife and I like it but there has just been something stopping us. I guess life has just been too busy and we are very happy with the C6. Also I'm more interested in a new family sized vehicle right now and in my truck hotrod project.

Personally I find the C7 hardtop to be ugly, but the convertable top is perfect looking. Something about the roof line on the hardtop just doesn't look right.

If the C8 can fit a couple of suit cases for a two week road trip, has comfortable seating, attractive smooth styling, a convertable top, at least 300 hp/ft-lbs, cost around 66k base, and has milage that avoids the gas guzzlers tax then I'll be in consideration.

Last edited by flyingbunnys; 11-03-2018 at 07:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:34 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I retired about 15 years ago...lifes good .(for young people in their thirties i suggest reading a simple book by Andrew Bach, the automatic millionaire)..the c7 as great as it was, was evolutionary in many aspects where as the c8 is a revolutionary change.that warrants a purchase...

i believe c5, c6 and c7 corvette owners will get off the sidelines to own and experience the totally new driving experience from a handling standpoint.

Not that the c7 wasnt an amazing handling and performance machine....same for the c6 and c5...

its more along the lines of experiencing a low polar movement of inertia (terms slightly off as its early in the day)..

the driving experience tearing into a corner with that tight immediate turn in is a little more addictive even in street driving just for fun...

that driving feature will pull a lot of c5, c6 and c7 owners into buying c8 s....and it will also in my opinion pull a lot of foreign car customers into the corvette as as well.

buy early as demand will have gm raising the msrp of the c8 every year in a slightly more dramatic fashion than we have seen with the c5, c6 and c7.

I don't expect discounts on msrp by even the third year of c8 production as we have seen in the last three generations and in fact expect mrsp to be held tight without discounts throughout the production run.

i expect msrp escalation over the production run instead...(not obscenely but it will be opposite to previous and recent generations pricing strategy...

gm philosphy on boutique like specialty products are no longer recieving subsidized incentives and those dollars are being devoted to higher volume mainstream products like four door sedans which have taken a nose dive in unit sales...

so much so ford motor company announced its ending production of four door sedans and will bring out only the mustang and new cuvs and trucks.

staying on point....i would NOT expect the usual 5 or 10 percent incentive on third year c8 s...as we have seen with c5, c6 s or c7...but rather the opposite rise in prices

Last edited by JerriVette; 11-03-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:47 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Today tahoes and escalades cost about the same as corvettes if not more.
usually its the compromises and fear of not having four seats and four doors that people think they have to have that is slowing down sales of two seat sports cars..
The cost is less of an issue for many if the Corvette can act as one of their two family cars, but for most who have families, hobbies and jobs, that just isn't so. Corvettes hold 2 people, aren't useful in the snow and ice, can't carry large and heavy objects (although storage space is comparable to most compact sedans - which also aren't selling well) and can tow nothing - things every SUV can do in spades; which is why they are dominating the market. I have come to know a huge number of Corvette owners, and for those who work, less than 10% use the Corvette as one of their family's daily drivers - for the other 90% it is an extra car.

Quick Reply: Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?