Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 09:23 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
At lightning lap it broke every record at VIR, but so did the GT2 RS which was faster than it. Gm needs to recognize it's angle is value. If they get in the same price range, they will lose.
it wasn’t always the fastest in the tests, just the best

I like this this quote from the article:
“If the Pista, GT2 RS, and McLaren all cost the same, the ZR1 likely isn’t on par with them, because it’s not as comprehensively designed,” Hildebrand said. “But it would still be the car I’d feel most guilt-free about driving the hell out of whenever I wanted, over and over again.”
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,617 Likes on 6,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom73

Jerry, enough on the efficiency. Yes things will have to get more efficient in the future. But until the Miata sized ME Corvette powered by some type of hyperdrive four banger gets forced down our throats, let just enjoy our brawny V8 for as long as we can.
Yep I enjoy both and will continue to "enjoy" the 502 cid in my street rod after GM stops producing them!

I'm only pointing out to those that "want GM to keep the C7 and all variants- it's not going to happen! Don't think they really want a C7 with the 2.7 Liter L-4 engine they are putting in the 2019 Silverado and forcing on truck owners! Just Sayn' the world is changing!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-29-2018 at 12:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:15 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Just Sayn' the world is changing!
Changing due to govt mandate, not per customer demand. Just look at the cars Chevy is cutting, the smaller efficient ones while the customers are buying tons of those with a V8.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:37 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Is there a demand for a mid engine corvette?

No the product has been cancelled...a rear mid engine corvette that out performs european rear mid engine sports cars that cost 4 times as much as the corvette, that american consumers can buy easily has been cancelled.

(Just kidding)

of course there will be demand for this new rear mid engine corvette...

i have yet to see the release of a new generation of corvette where demand did not exist..

each new successive generation corvette has been the best ever.

thats a hallmark of the corvette brand itself.

Thats why its been around for over 65 years...

keep that perspective in mind as you ask yourself....

is there demand for this new 8th generation corvette.?

Last edited by JerriVette; 11-29-2018 at 07:39 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:56 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom73

Changing due to govt mandate, not per customer demand. Just look at the cars Chevy is cutting, the smaller efficient ones while the customers are buying tons of those with a V8.
100%! Not with the need but it is being driven by pressure from both Federal and State (CA etc) Government.

Yep folks in the US want Trucks and SUVs. That is why GM, who is selling over 550,000 full size Silverado trucks a year, is introducing that 2.7 liter turbocharged L-4 in 2019 for that truck! In fairness it produces 320 hp. They will no doubt offer other engines initially but long term smaller cid will be the only choice and/or they will price the larger cid engines so low demand will force them out!

Now if I had a choice of a high torque, larger cid engine and had to pay a penalty- that is what I would do! But many will not or could not afford the extra initial cost or the gas prices (Oh yea, we will have a government initiated highway program, which we do need, paid for by a big Federal gas tax increase like the Europeans! But don't worry the extra tax will go away when the highway program is paid for! Yep just like the NJ Garden State Parkway Tolls would go away when it was paid for! US politicians would "never" use that money for social "giveaway programs" like they do in Europe! )

But for the C8 I'll get the higher rpm, smaller cid engine I expect it will have if not initially soon after. I'd be happy driving the Ford GT with it's 3.5 Liter V6 getting 647 hp. If it wasn't a Ford might consider! However I'd add a low restriction air intake system or just an oiled cotton filter soon after to get at least 3 extra hp! For some reason Ford Marketing just didn't tell Engineering to run another test and "find" the missing 3 horses!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-29-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:28 AM
tbrenny33
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts

At lightning lap it broke every record at VIR, but so did the GT2 RS which was faster than it. Gm needs to recognize it's angle is value. If they get in the same price range, they will lose.
Lightning lap (as with all these test) need to be taken with a grain a salt. I recall in years past the whether has been terrible resulting in subpar laps. lap times aren’t everything! Ask MT how they felt. It did terrible at best drivers car.
The following users liked this post:
PurpleLion (11-30-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:49 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

100%! (Oh yea, we will have a government initiated highway program, which we do need, paid for by a big Federal gas tax increase like the Europeans! But don't worry the extra tax will go away when the highway program is paid for! Yep just like the NJ Garden State Parkway Tolls would go away when it was paid for! US politicians would "never" use that money for social "giveaway programs" like they do in Europe! )
I rented a car and drove around Norway last summer on vacation. We went to many places on freeways, country roads and city streets. The roads are excellent and even though the country is mountainous, there is no issue driving because they have built tunnels through the mountains everywhere.

We NEVER encountered a traffic jam. Of course there are toll roads and diesel is $8/gallon. So that's the trade off: sit in traffic for hours and be late for everything, or pay the price of poker and get where you want to go without the hassle.

Where I live we have a toll road that goes 10 miles into the city. Tolls are re-set every 5 minutes to ensure that traffic moves at least 50 mph. Some mornings, the toll is nearly $50, but people are willing to pay. Politicians have learned, however, that most voters don't want to pay for any roads. So those of us who do want new roads get nothing but traffic jams.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

It's really sad how Americans have decided that good roads aren't worth the expense.

Consider how many bent rims and extra wheel balancing and allignments result from bad roads. If the money for those repairs went instead to road construction then we would have pristine roads.

Furthermore, a sporty car on a bad road is punishing and more likely to sustain expensive damage, so fewer sports cars can survive in the market and people naturally move to SUVs which were originally designed to be able to drive off road.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:07 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
It's really sad how Americans have decided that good roads aren't worth the expense.

Back in the 1950s Americans decided to build the Interstate Highway System. That would never happen today. We are just happy to watch our great nation fall to ruin.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:06 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PCMIII

Where I live we have a toll road that goes 10 miles into the city. Tolls are re-set every 5 minutes to ensure that traffic moves at least 50 mph. Some mornings, the toll is nearly $50, but people are willing to pay. Politicians have learned, however, that most voters don't want to pay for any roads. So those of us who do want new roads get nothing but traffic jams.

Consider how many bent rims and extra wheel balancing and allignments result from bad roads. If the money for those repairs went instead to road construction then we would have pristine roads.
Recall a number of years ago visiting with bridge builders and State Highway folks on a "best practices" tour of a number of countries organized by the Federal Highway Administration. I recall in Japan they were several new very long bridges connecting islands being built where with tolls were $75! The alternative was a much longer route so it was mostly used by commercial trucking and folks needing it for business.

I'm optimistic that we may get support from current Politian's for two reasons:
Both parties what highway projects to have higher paying jobs and full employment going into the 2020 elections. Perhaps there will be enough support for private funding of roads via tolls etc. Also think as oil prices stay low we will get an additional Federal Gas Tax IF both parties support it so it's not a political football.

Like the C8, we'll see!
Old 11-29-2018, 02:11 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

. Also think as oil prices stay low we will get an additional Federal Gas Tax IF both parties support it so it's not a political football.

Like the C8, we'll see!
Federal funding of more infrastructure is just a mirage. Nobody wants to pay for anything.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:54 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NY09C6
So what are your thoughts about Lambo, Ferrari, etc... their gas mileage is in the same ballpark.

It always amazes me that people are so quick to trash GM here.
Yep, will be interesting to see how that all shakes out! Ferrari is part of Fiat. Lamborghini part of VW group as is Porsche. The current EPA guidelines are complex so it's not just an overall "Company" mpg average. Penalties for not meeting mpg goals go by model. However there are offsets.

So to get their corporate average mpg up, no one can just purchase the Indian company who will only build cheap electric cars (as if you can really buy a company in another country very easily- oh forgot anyone can in the USA!)

It will be fun to watch! Think all those Hollywood types will drive a Tesla? CA will be tougher than the Federal Government.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-29-2018 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:04 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,434 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Furthermore, a sporty car on a bad road is punishing and more likely to sustain expensive damage, so fewer sports cars can survive in the market and people naturally move to SUVs which were originally designed to be able to drive off road.
We have good roads by me. I think bad roads are area specific more than anything.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

We have good roads by me. I think bad roads are area specific more than anything.

Well, you should. North Carolina has a $0.57.6 gasoline tax(fed & state combined) with only 225,168 road miles to maintain.

Here in Missouri, I also have good roads(I have never bent a wheel) and my gas taxes are only $0.35.7(fed & state combined) with 275,589 road miles to maintain

Texas, which has excellent roads has a $0.38.4 gas tax(fed & state combined) with a whopping 675,680 road miles to maintain.

Now look at California, that has a $0.69. gas tax, but only 394,608 road miles to maintain, or New York, with it's $0.69.6 gas tax(fed & state combined) with a measly 242,396 road miles to maintain.

I don't believe that road conditions are proportional to the amount of taxes charged by each state. High state gas taxes don't always mean excellent roads and low gas taxes don't always mean poor roads.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-29-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:18 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I don't believe that road conditions are proportional to the amount of taxes charged by each state. High state gas taxes don't always mean excellent roads and low gas taxes don't always mean poor roads.
Right. It depends on the amount of truck traffic and overweight enforcement. Roads around me where trucks are prohibited are excellent. Another big factor is the freeze/thaw cycle and the amount of salt used which eats up the rebar.

But the real problem is lack of capacity with massive traffic jams every day. Doesn't happen in Norway which is the most prosperous country in the world. https://www.prosperity.com/globe/norway
Old 11-29-2018, 05:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Back in the 1950s Americans decided to build the Interstate Highway System. That would never happen today. We are just happy to watch our great nation fall to ruin.
Actually, a 5 star General("I like Ike") wanted the Interstate Highway system as he was very impressed by Germany's Autobahn system that Hitler built, and he got the money by claiming it was needed for national defense.

Old 11-29-2018, 05:53 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Actually, a 5 star General("I like Ike") wanted the Interstate Highway system as he was very impressed by Germany's Autobahn system that Hitler built, and he got the money by claiming it was needed for national defense.
Ike was great when you needed to "get er done."

Get notified of new replies

To Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?

Old 11-29-2018, 06:04 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Right. It depends on the amount of truck traffic and overweight enforcement. Roads around me where trucks are prohibited are excellent. Another big factor is the freeze/thaw cycle and the amount of salt used which eats up the rebar.

But the real problem is lack of capacity with massive traffic jams every day. Doesn't happen in Norway which is the most prosperous country in the world. https://www.prosperity.com/globe/norway
Three or four years ago, I had lunch with my daughter in Truckee, California, on a Friday, and then headed down I-80 to San Francisco. Traffic was heavy but I was still able to cruise along in my Z06 at 70-75 MPH. Road was in excellent condition.Then I came upon a huge traffic jam at the entrance of the Bay Bridge. The traffic jam wasn't because of a bad road conditions, but because they only had about 2/3rd's of the toll booths open. Took me some 45 minutes to work my way to an open toll booth(and I thought my clutch and my left leg were going to expire before I got to the booth). Once past the toll booth, back up to speed as I headed to the Hampton Inn near the airport.

Then, early Sunday morning, I crossed the Golden Gate Bridge to get on Hwy1 to drive the scenic route to Washington. Road was in so-so condition but not because of heavy semi traffic or salt put down on the road, but because California wasn't spending any of that $0.69 a gallon gas tax on it.

Here in Greene county, Missouri, I live outside the Springfield city limits, in a subdivision. We don't have that much snow, but a snow plow will clean the streets in my subdivision before the day is over(normally will do it twice that day), and twice a year the county runs a street sweeper on the streets in my subdivision. That excellent service is paid for by my measly $0.35.7 gas tax. Any problems(pot hole, etc) with the actual street, is promptly repaired.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-29-2018 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Not when it completely outperforms the competition. Example -- a Z51-equiped Vette is about the same price as a stripper 718, I believe. It offers way more performance to the consumer, really does not suffer much in terms of quality and content, and so does not lose. If somehow GM can build a $170K sports car that measurably outperforms the similarly priced Porsche, and is recognizably better in percieved quality than lesser Vettes, it also will not lose.

I still would not put it past GM to have a multi-model Vette strategy unfolding before us over the next 18-24 months. If they have made the business case AND can execute (big "ifs" I know) it would be really cool, don't you think?
Old 11-29-2018, 06:59 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Yep, Norway has put much of that North Sea money they made and "saved it for the people." They do have enough for folks retiring! Not like us!

Quick Reply: Is there demand for a mid-engine Corvette?