Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the C8 debuts at the NAIAS Show...The Supra could be in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
No, I'm a Porsche guy, but I love Corvettes. Now that GM are finally taking the Corvette seriously I look forward to buying one.

"Leading the charge" doesn't quite describe my feelings towards replacing the SBC. It's a great engine and I'd buy a C8 with the SBC, it's just that I'd rather own a C8 with a twin turbo DOHC V8. GM has taken their time developing this new V8 architecture and to combine their High Feature DOHC V6 experience with their SBC experience should make for a phenomenal engine.
This is from 2 years ago (Nov. 2016). I watched it back in 2016 but stumbled across it again yesterday. Since you're a Porsche/Vette guy you might enjoy it if you haven't seen it before.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:25 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

It's a higher output engine with a superior power to weight ratio. Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, and the Japanese have all used DOHC engines for decades. It's time the Corvette joined the modern automotive community.

Agreed it will likely have more issues, but that's because it's a new GM product. They'll get it sorted out just in time for the C9 EV.
They did that only to avoid massive fines in the EU. Marketing has you believing it is better. A large single cam7.2 would provide a far nicer driving experience over a high revving 4 cam 4.2. It will also be lighter and cheaper to produce and maintain. It however will not meet CAFE and we now follow what the Europeans were forced by government to do many years ago.

Last edited by NY09C6; 11-19-2018 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:46 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
Doesn't look too bad. Had a '95 TT. Very nice car.

Looks like a Hyundai Genesis Sport Coupe.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
They did that only to avoid massive fines in the EU. Marketing has you believing it is better. A large single cam7.2 would provide a far nicer driving experience over a high revving 4 cam 4.2. It will also be lighter and cheaper to produce and maintain. It however will not meet CAFE and we now follow what the Europeans were forced by government to do many years ago.
That's quite a displacment handicap you need on the DOHC V8 to give a win to the old pushrod V8.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:48 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

That's quite a displacment handicap you need on the DOHC V8 to give a win to the old pushrod V8.
I'm not sure why people refer to DOHC engine design as something modern while they refer to OHV (pushrod) engines as ancient. Both designs date back to the early 1900s & they're not separated by many years.

DOHC:
The first DOHC car was the 1912 Peugeot which won the French Grand Prix at Dieppe that year. This car was powered by a straight-4 engine designed by Ernest Henry under the guidance of the technically knowledgeable racing drivers Paul Zuccarelli and Georges Boillot. Boillot, who drove the winning car that year, won the French Grand Prix for Peugeot again in 1913 but was beaten in 1914 by the SOHC Mercedes
The discovery of this photo prompted us to search out other Peugeot photos and construction details, which will show you this brilliant dohc, four-valve four-cylinder engine designed by Boillot-Goux-Zuccarelli or “Les Charlatans” as they were called. Boillot and Goux were both racing drivers and Paolo Zuccarelli was a very talented practical engineer-mechanic. This engine that they created in 1912, established the dohc four-valve layout that is still in use to this day.
http://theoldmotor.com/?p=62241

http://theoldmotor.com/?tag=1912-french-grand-prix

OHV:
The OHV engine was patented in 1902 (awarded 1904) by Buick's second chief engineer Eugene Richard, at the Buick Manufacturing Company, precursor to the Buick Motor Company. The world's first production overhead valve internal combustion engine was put into the first production Buick automobile, the 1904 Model B, which used a 2-cylinder Flat twin engine, with 2 valves in each head. The engine was designed by Marr and David Buick.

The following 2 users liked this post by Oneslackr:
JustinStrife (11-21-2018), pdiddy972 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 10:41 PM
NORTY
Race Director

Received 390 Likes on 244 Posts

Since the OP brought up the upcoming Toyota Supra, I thought I'd share a little info on it.

2 mules have been seen in Carlsbad last weekend. They were both covered in netting as they were being driven along the beach. They were moving Southbound just after dawn.

Sorry, that's all I got.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:27 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
This is from 2 years ago (Nov. 2016). I watched it back in 2016 but stumbled across it again yesterday. Since you're a Porsche/Vette guy you might enjoy it if you haven't seen it before.
Thanks, that's an interesting comparison. What I've heard from the inside is that compared to the C7 the C8 performs at another level entirely, but what I'm looking forward to is the Corvette finally posessing mid-engine chassis dynamics, especially on turn in. That matters to me more than raw performance because honestly even the base Corvette Z51 outmatches my driving skills.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:36 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
I'm not sure why people refer to DOHC engine design as something modern while they refer to OHV (pushrod) engines as ancient. Both designs date back to the early 1900s & they're not separated by many years.

DOHC:

http://theoldmotor.com/?p=62241

http://theoldmotor.com/?tag=1912-french-grand-prix

OHV:
Yeah well EVs are also considered modern but the first practical EVs were in use around 1900.

The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 12:27 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks, that's an interesting comparison. What I've heard from the inside is that compared to the C7 the C8 performs at another level entirely, but what I'm looking forward to is the Corvette finally posessing mid-engine chassis dynamics, especially on turn in. That matters to me more than raw performance because honestly even the base Corvette Z51 outmatches my driving skills.
Yeah, it's a nice comparison between the two. I have always liked Porsches & wouldn't mind owning a few. I'm sure the C8 will be great. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Yeah well EVs are also considered modern but the first practical EVs were in use around 1900.
Touche.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 11-21-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quick Reply: If the C8 debuts at the NAIAS Show...The Supra could be in trouble