Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 10:18 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,443 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Well if they are only planning a max of 33K units/yr., they must be planning a much higher build quality for a much higher priced car. Sounds dubious to me because 33K units/year won't generate much profit. Maybe the new cars will be much more complicated to build, but I would think more robots would improve productivity. Curious why they would deliberately reduce and cap production capacity.

Kai Spande stated the reason was to get away from having to heavily discount the cars at the tail end of the generation run, or so soon in a generation run. I.e. stop overproducing on the front end of the run. Thus, they are "right sizing" production over the whole production run to avoid/mitigate that.

Running 4/10 as they do now, and making 115 cars a day, would make for a nominal 24k capacity, with, according to Spande a 33k per year capacity running at "firewall overtime".
The following 2 users liked this post by OnPoint:
jimmyb (11-02-2018), Zaro Tundov (11-02-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:20 PM
designer80
Navigator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EXACTLY!!!!! I truly don't understand why folk believe GM will lose a huge market by pricing the C8 100K plus. The ZR1 is over $100K. Come on; new car, new technology and new market = NEW PRICING!!! Case and point, C8 - $165K
Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Kai Spande stated the reason was to get away from having to heavily discount the cars at the tail end of the generation run, or so soon in a generation run. I.e. stop overproducing on the front end of the run. Thus, they are "right sizing" production over the whole production run to avoid/mitigate that.

Running 4/10 as they do now, and making 115 cars a day, would make for a nominal 24k capacity, with, according to Spande a 33k per year capacity running at "firewall overtime".
So they have slowed production from 17 cars/hour to 11.5? That is really slow. I worked at a Chevy plant when in college and the line always ran 60/hour.

Sports cars have a very short shelf life, so if they don't max out production when it first hits the market, the customers lose interest. I think dealer mark ups are the real problem and if I can't get a car for MSRP, I'm not buying. Doesn't make much sense to limit production unless you are Ferrari.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:38 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by designer80
EXACTLY!!!!! I truly don't understand why folk believe GM will lose a huge market by pricing the C8 100K plus. The ZR1 is over $100K. Come on; new car, new technology and new market = NEW PRICING!!! Case and point, C8 - $165K

I'm sure the ZR1's aren't exactly flying off the showroom floors and look how good it is. Also, add in dealer mark up which you know will happen AND people apprehensive about buying first year model runs especially with how radical of a change this car is as well as the horror stories with the A8 (yes I know it won't be in the C8 but people will still be weary of an auto/dct trans), it may not be as a hot ticket item as GM thinks it will be.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:20 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

$169,000 Starting price? Yeah, good luck with that.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:27 PM
wuznme
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
$169,000 Starting price? Yeah, good luck with that.

No way base car is $114k more than current model....Top o' Line sure...
Old 11-01-2018, 11:47 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

This doesn't change your point, but they moved back to 5/8 a couple of months ago.
The following users liked this post:
OnPoint (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 12:30 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by vndkshn
As I mentioned in my quoted post, "it depends on what they were testing". It could have been a hundred different things that have nothing to do with brakes and tires. They weren't out there running against the clock, so no need to show what you have planned. Hell, it could have all been just a marketing jaunt to light the internet up with buzz about the car (which is exactly what happened).
The Nürburgring is the last track on earth you want to do a "publicity stunt". The brakes are one of the MOST IMPORTANT parts on a sports car and to think a 169k plus sports car in its late stage of testing has solid rotors is out of touch. The new hand built 2019 NSX has a starting MSRP of $157,500! The 2018 hand built Audi R8 with a hand built V10 has a Starting MSRP of $138,700. No way the Chevrolet ME has a higher price than the slow selling very high tech NSX or is 32k higher in starting MSRP than a V10 Audi R8. If Audi can produce a hand built MID-Engine car at 138k that is made in Germany with very high labor cost, Don’t you think GM can produce an ME that is assembly built in Kentucky under the Chevrolet name will be under 100k. WAKE UP PEOPLE! If starting MSRP is 169k I wish them luck https://www.cargroup.org/the-move-to...han-low-wages/

I say what we keep seeing with heavy small solid rotors is the base ME that is well under 100k MSRP.

Last edited by fasttoys; 11-02-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:59 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by skank
Some of you have to wake up from your $65k base price wet dream. That is not going to happen!
x2. GM will sell plenty of them no matter what the price.
skank (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:51 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Zerv, with all due respect, when it comes to most things C8 related, you are an idiot.

I suspect that a friend let you peek at an early C8 (cool!) and you really let that go to your head. Now you've been applying your very unsound logic all along, on a topic you know nothing about, for months. Give it a rest.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 11-02-2018 at 06:51 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Suns_PSD:
ByByBMW (11-02-2018), jimmyb (11-02-2018), JockItch (11-02-2018), Steven Beaver (11-02-2018), Tha7osavage (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:25 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Where does this come from?
The same place 90% of this thread comes from....FANTASYLAND.
Mike Mercury (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Sigh, this thread has outstayed its welcome. The number of people who are just 100% all in on this car being classified as an "exotic" is disheartening because they truly have no idea how the car world works.
If GM comes out and prices the car over $80k dollars it will fail...miserably. The last American super car to try this was the Viper which sold less units during its entire Gen V run than any year that the C7 was on sale, even though it was significantly better in almost every way. It failed because it was still just a Dodge to people, it was also plagued by its history of being a handful to drive. The Corvette Also has a history that cannot simply be swept under the rug when considering sales, the one where it has always been a performance bargain.
Pricing the C8 too much higher than a base C7 will alienate the largest customer base for sports cars in the world. People keep saying that they can price it high and it will still sell because of all the money flush individuals in China...that is just plain idiocy and uninformed thinking. China buys a lot of cars, but they have a particular interest in "pedigree", the European sports cars sold in China offer a degree of this by simply costing more and being rarer than cars like the Corvette. The other thing to consider is that GM already has a presence in China with Chevy branded items but the number one seller is the Cavalier. https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthori...018-china/amp/
China also has a real thing for brand optics, GM would have to sell a $170k C8 under aome other brand to even become a blip on the Chinese exotic car buyers' radar. So while GM could sell the C8 in China ideally they would price it below the competition in order to sell more units per quarter and to fill the same niche market the Corvette dominates here in the states. All this thinking that China is just so rich and everyone drives around in exotics is plain wrong, the vast majority of consumers in China are poorer than we are here in the States and they also have the same kinds of people who would like to have a truly reasonable sports car available.
The other problem is selling the Corvette in Europe, if GM prices the C8 at $170k here, in Europe it will likely run in the $200k range which is not sustainable when considering the fact that it would be competing directly with established European brands on their home turf. Take into account VAT and the C8 would be no more affordable to anyone over there than high end exotics.
On top of all of this the Corvette is not hand built...its built on an assembly line 100s a day it will never make sense to build much less cars at 3x the price.

Like I said, this thread is stupid, anyone who believes that the ME Corvette will come out over $65k base is also not realistic. We have over half a century of historical evidence regarding GM operation and building a limited production car is just not in the cards...especially if it is branded Corvette. We know for a fact that the Corvette is already one of the profitable models for GM, their pricing model works, and one of the things anyone with half a brain should understand is the policy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", of course its ok to improve upon it, but when you have shareholders expecting stability and growth, something as risky as what anyone in the $100k+ mindset believes, would have those people very, very worried...not optomistic, and anyone with sense understands that making shareholders worry is not good business practice.
The following 10 users liked this post by Supermassive:
capkarl (12-19-2018), dreamr616 (11-02-2018), fasttoys (11-02-2018), Foosh (11-02-2018), Mike Mercury (11-02-2018), moldyviolinist (11-02-2018), mre1974 (11-02-2018), Roscoe Primrose (11-02-2018), Shaka (11-02-2018), Zaro Tundov (11-02-2018) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:40 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

The problem is the assumption that SOME people make which makes the Corvette some kind of "HALO" that doesn't have to MAKE MONEY. GM is NOT in that business (I'm not sure any major car company is), at least not on purpose. The VIper had several times in it's history where it stopped production, before it's ultimate death. Why? Because they were LOSING money.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:13 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Sigh, this thread has outstayed its welcome. The number of people who are just 100% all in on this car being classified as an "exotic" is disheartening because they truly have no idea how the car world works.
If GM comes out and prices the car over $80k dollars it will fail...miserably. The last American super car to try this was the Viper which sold less units during its entire Gen V run than any year that the C7 was on sale, even though it was significantly better in almost every way. It failed because it was still just a Dodge to people, it was also plagued by its history of being a handful to drive. The Corvette Also has a history that cannot simply be swept under the rug when considering sales, the one where it has always been a performance bargain.
Pricing the C8 too much higher than a base C7 will alienate the largest customer base for sports cars in the world. People keep saying that they can price it high and it will still sell because of all the money flush individuals in China...that is just plain idiocy and uninformed thinking. China buys a lot of cars, but they have a particular interest in "pedigree", the European sports cars sold in China offer a degree of this by simply costing more and being rarer than cars like the Corvette. The other thing to consider is that GM already has a presence in China with Chevy branded items but the number one seller is the Cavalier. https://www.google.com/amp/gmauthori...018-china/amp/
China also has a real thing for brand optics, GM would have to sell a $170k C8 under aome other brand to even become a blip on the Chinese exotic car buyers' radar. So while GM could sell the C8 in China ideally they would price it below the competition in order to sell more units per quarter and to fill the same niche market the Corvette dominates here in the states. All this thinking that China is just so rich and everyone drives around in exotics is plain wrong, the vast majority of consumers in China are poorer than we are here in the States and they also have the same kinds of people who would like to have a truly reasonable sports car available.
The other problem is selling the Corvette in Europe, if GM prices the C8 at $170k here, in Europe it will likely run in the $200k range which is not sustainable when considering the fact that it would be competing directly with established European brands on their home turf. Take into account VAT and the C8 would be no more affordable to anyone over there than high end exotics.
On top of all of this the Corvette is not hand built...its built on an assembly line 100s a day it will never make sense to build much less cars at 3x the price.

Like I said, this thread is stupid, anyone who believes that the ME Corvette will come out over $65k base is also not realistic. We have over half a century of historical evidence regarding GM operation and building a limited production car is just not in the cards...especially if it is branded Corvette. We know for a fact that the Corvette is already one of the profitable models for GM, their pricing model works, and one of the things anyone with half a brain should understand is the policy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", of course its ok to improve upon it, but when you have shareholders expecting stability and growth, something as risky as what anyone in the $100k+ mindset believes, would have those people very, very worried...not optomistic, and anyone with sense understands that making shareholders worry is not good business practice.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:22 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

This point below needs to be emphasized again.

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
This doesn't change your point, but they moved back to 5/8 a couple of months ago.
It seems to me that GM is very aware of where some cars above $100K go---some/many go away---permanently. Or, sell so poorly that it wouldn't be worth it to GM to produce them.

There are exceptions, and at least a couple are in the Corvette lineup, and have been in the past. But the co. weighs all costs esp. ones they can't easily change or whittle down, like human costs, or building costs.

I ask myself: what happens if the economy slows, or even worse---like 2008? Does the Corvette line at the new, improved BGA stop with all that plant and equipment still costing the company? Do they sell $100K+ cars at $50K to keep the line moving very slowly?

And thus, the 18,000-member buyout announced two days ago which is big dollars. Usually, first comes the offer. Next comes the mandatory. How many have seen it happen before? Getting ahead of the train that always moves.

Here's my prediction: GM can't afford to lose one customer and wants to gain more customers---the hope is in good times, or bad. What a radical idea.

Originally Posted by fasttoys

The Nürburgring is the last track on earth you want to do a "publicity stunt". The brakes are one of the MOST IMPORTANT parts on a sports car and to think a 169k plus sports car in its late stage of testing has solid rotors is out of touch. The new hand built 2019 NSX has a starting MSRP of $157,500! The 2018 hand built Audi R8 with a hand built V10 has a Starting MSRP of $138,700. No way the Chevrolet ME has a higher price than the slow selling very high tech NSX or is 32k higher in starting MSRP than a V10 Audi R8. If Audi can produce a hand built MID-Engine car at 138k that is made in Germany with very high labor cost, Don’t you think GM can produce an ME that is assembly built in Kentucky under the Chevrolet name under 100k. WAKE UP PEOPLE! If starting MSRP is 169k I wish them luck https://www.cargroup.org/the-move-to...han-low-wages/

I say it’s the base ME that is well under 100k MSRP being tested with heavy solid rotors.

Last edited by AORoads; 11-02-2018 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:32 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
x2. GM will sell plenty of them no matter what the price.
For how long? I suspect 99% of competent economists would not agree with you...
ArmchairArchitect (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:53 AM
savage99ss
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

This is why the FE will still be produced and thus the expansion of the GM BG plant. The convertible will be priced higher than that.
skank (11-02-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 11-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Zjoe6
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,938 Likes on 2,425 Posts

18 pages, whoa.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:43 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Hmm, looks like a sketch I would make in high school in a boring class! Yep really top secret intel!

If I was still 16 mine would have said, $81,500 base price! $72,000 if ordered from Kerbeck!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-02-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:03 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive

Very well written and intelligent post. And it will mean nothing the ravings of the idiots.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed