Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 09:38 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

QUOTE=lt4obsesses;1598312023]I think one of the big differences here, and for some, it seems a matter of contention, is that while the philosophy of many of the exotics and Europeans is exclusivity, the philosophy of Corvette has always been inclusivity. Go to a Corvette show and you see folks from all walks of life, from millionaires to blue collars, and for the most part all become equals for those few hours sharing a passion for this car. This is the reason for the six + decade success story for Corvette.

The dealership experience is another topic really. The majority of large dealerships are corporate owned, and run by stockholders, which of course creates a culture of profit over people. Dealerships are not owned by GM, and only need to meet certain criteria to remain a franchised dealer. So, the personal experience can be completely different from dealer to dealer. But yes, it's not going to be the same as what you will get at a luxury brand dealer. But I kind of see that as part of the deal, you get a car that will out perform a car that costs two to three times what you paid for the Corvette, but yes, you will have to wait for your oil change behind the single mom with four kids in the Traverse. The donuts might be gone or stale by the time you get there and coffee might suck. My only suggestion is to find a dealer that sells a lot of Corvettes and even may sponsor a club, your odds will be much better of finding folks that know how you want to be treated and more importantly, know how to treat your car.

GM is not going to change the business model for the Corvette. They are not going to make it a boutique exotic just because the engine is behind the driver. The good news is that it will remain the most attainable, and best performance value for the dollar. But no, the price will not include fresh baked croissants and hand made caramel macchiatos while you wait for the white gloved technician to change your oil. lol[/QUOTE]

Well said, for me the Corvette is a bargain compared to its performance equivalent, I am not as picky about the lack of luxury amenities at the dealership, I still get annoyed but it's not a game changer. If you bring the price up to 169k MSRP my expectations as many will change drastically, no different than anything else we purchase, (Meals, Vacations, Hotels, Housing, Furniture, Products and Services, Watches, Health clubs & the list goes on.) Price perception is variable based on your income and what you feel is luxury but still has a base-line which is why all products and services are priced similar to their competition. GM has done incredible job building a Corvette that out-performs cars costing 3 times as much but moving it to a higher price point that is triple its base price today won't be as easy. Which is why moving the ME base price to169k is a drastic departure to their core audience. Changing the perception and product baseline would be a tall hurdle without moving the ME to a luxury brand or creating a standalone exclusive brand experience.

Last edited by fasttoys; 11-10-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 09:40 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

What a dumb thread. The "rich" guys want the C8 to cost 150K plus. The "poor" guys want it to cost 5K more than their C7. Although I could afford one either way, if the actual car looks anything like the renderings, I'll be keeping my outmoded, obsolete '12 ZR1 for quite awhile.

MAGA.
The following users liked this post:
BMadden (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:12 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Chevy has built 320,000 Corvettes since 2005. Audi, for instance, has built 23,000 R8s in the same amount of time. For any given expenditure on R&D, components, and labor, Chevy realizes 14 times the economies of scale producing their cars. If some technology or tooling requires $10 mil in R&D, each of those 23,000 R8s carry $430 of it in their sticker price. A Corvette carries $31. In other words, Corvette could build the same car for far less.
The following 3 users liked this post by jcsperson:
edved (11-10-2018), Foosh (11-10-2018), Zaro Tundov (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Similar numbers apply to price of parts, materials, tires, wheels, and everything else that goes into a vehicle. If you sell 300 to 400K units over the course of a generation, you can price it at 1/3-1/2 the cost of comparable low volume units, and still be more profitable than the competition. Low pricing drives more sales, and the cycle perpetuates.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-10-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:31 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
What a dumb thread. The "rich" guys want the C8 to cost 150K plus. The "poor" guys want it to cost 5K more than their C7. Although I could afford one either way, if the actual car looks anything like the renderings, I'll be keeping my outmoded, obsolete '12 ZR1 for quite awhile.

MAGA.
Thank you. It's threads like this that make me visit CF less and less these days. It's 32 pages of BS when in reality nobody knows a damn thing. Exhausting!
Old 11-10-2018, 11:33 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 868 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
GM is not going to change the business model for the Corvette. They are not going to make it a boutique exotic just because the engine is behind the driver. The good news is that it will remain the most attainable, and best performance value for the dollar. But no, the price will not include fresh baked croissants and hand made caramel macchiatos while you wait for the white gloved technician to change your oil. lol
GM is going to add to the existing business model for Corvette. The Zora ME is going to be the flagship for Corvette to conquer China and Asia while competing in Europe. It is not going to be cheap because the competition is not cheap. The Stingray will be the traditional value it has always been. Think outside the box: 2 separate models just like Porsche does.

How about the Chevy service waiting room provides a Keurig machine with Starbucks and a variety of options. Hours old Folgers is pretty disgusting.

Last edited by PCMIII; 11-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:37 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BMadden
. It's 32 pages of BS when in reality nobody knows a damn thing. Exhausting!
Here is what we do know: BGA will build a ME sports car with a DCT and turbo V8. It will be a very high performance car and will out perform the existing car because that is what Corvette has always done from one generation to the next: performance upgrade.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PCMIII
GM is going to add to the existing business model for Corvette. The Zora ME is going to be the flagship for Corvette to conquer China and Asia while competing in Europe. It is not going to be cheap because the competition is not cheap. The Stingray will be the traditional value it has always been. Think outside the box: 2 separate models just like Porsche does.

How about the Chevy service waiting room provides a Keurig machine with Starbucks and a variety of options. Hours old Folgers is pretty disgusting.
LOL, wanna bet. $1000 to you if you're right, and you only need pay me $100 if I'm right. GM will apply the current mass volume pricing structure to the ME, with multiple models varying level of performance and equipment. The price range will start within 10% of the current gen, and extend into the $100Ks, just like the current generation.

Oh, that's right, every time I've made this offer in this thread, you run away because you don't have a C-note's worth of confidence in your prediction. I'm willing to put up 10 times that.

And BTW, your comparisons to Porsche are twisted. Porsche is a brand, just like Chevrolet and both have many different models, including sedans, sport cars, and SUVs. Even Chevrolet offers multiple sporty cars (think Camaro). Corvette is to Chevrolet as 911 is to Porsche. Corvette and 911 pricing models are almost identical in that there is a large price spread ($100K or more) between intro and highest performance models.

There are no plans to spin Corvette off into a separate and independent brand within GM. Porsche had to become a brand with multiple models to survive, and only SUVs saved them. Chevrolet already had that structure in place for many decades.

Camaro will ultimately be redesigned and satisfy the FE sports car demand. A single Corvette model will continue to be the 2-seat "true" sports car. There is a very limited market for 2-seat sports cars, and even a 911 has back seats of sorts.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-10-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:48 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

What a dumb thread.

MAGA.
MAGA: Highest Steel Prices in the World
USA – $928 per metric tonne
China – $515 per metric tonne
Western Europe – $620 per metric tonne
World Export Price – $577 per metric tonne

No wonder GM and Ford had to pay a billion dollars more for steel this year.
Zaro Tundov (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 11:55 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh

Oh, that's right, every time I've made this offer in this thread, you run away because you don't have a C-note's worth of confidence in your prediction. I'm willing to put up 10 times that.
I would take your bet, but I've got a better offer from a Nigerian Prince so thanks, but no thanks.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:16 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

I would take your bet, but I've got a better offer from a Nigerian Prince so thanks, but no thanks.
Yeah, it can be tough for 12-year-old to get his hands on 100 bucks. We understand.
jimmyb (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 12:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Weak PCM, but nice try. It does sound like a 12 year old response.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-10-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:21 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
Weak PCM, but nice try. It does sound like a 12 year old response.
OK, here is something a little stronger: Do you always scam people on the internet, or have you just targeted me?​​​​​​

Last edited by PCMIII; 11-10-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:25 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Like I said before, there are plenty of people here who know me, and anyone who sees your accusation of me as scammer will be laughing like hell when/if they read it. They know who I am, and what I do for a living.

My bet offer was purely a tactic to assess how strongly committed you were to your bizarre analysis. I succeeded in getting my answer. You don't have any confidence in your predictions. You're just dreaming and blowing smoke, with a limited ability to apply sound principles of logic, at least when it comes to principles of marketing and economics.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-10-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Yeah, there's no way they sell 2 generations at the same time. That would be a big marketing problem. …..

But the real truth here is that any of it is anyone's guess.
Surprised this Thread has this many posts! Well, considering this Forum, perhaps not! Agree it would be a marketing and a production issue long term. GM is not a small "boutique" car manufacture.

BUT as I said so many posts ago on his Thread, I won't try to find to reference, the ME is for GM to meet corporate mpg goals!

For all those old timers who can't get past needing a large cid pushrod V8 out of their head, a smaller cid turbocharged engine with double overhead cams, is a must! Need to vary intake and exhaust valve timing separately to optimize efficiency. Sure superchargers can be made that allow a big V8 fit a low profile front engine hood and can increase power BUT it takes energy to operate. The turbo can use some of that otherwise wasted exhaust energy which is about 30% of the energy in gas used going out the tailpipe. Small cid is also less friction when cruising.

Stuffing a modern, dual overhead came, turbocharged engine in a front Vette would not be easy. Yep I had a '93 Vette and well aware of the 405 hp Lotus overhead cam heads - it was not modern or efficient!

Now, I'm only 76, have never had a DD that wasn't a standard shift but I'm ready for the C8 with it's dual clutch transaxle the computer will shift. Do hope GM includes a sensor operated stick by wire so I can pick what gear I want when I want, even though it will be slower- but either way I will get one!

For those, perhaps older than me, who just can't live without a stump puller big V8 suggest you build a street rod as I did! My 3000 pond car has 53% of the weight on the rear wheels with a set back, stump puller 502 cid BB Chevy and enough torque to spin both 16.5 inch section width (~420) sticky Mickey Thompsons! It is faster 0 to 60 than my Grand Sport! In fact you can now get a 572 cid crate engine from GM!

PS: The base model C8 will be priced to sell lots of Vettes!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-10-2018 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 12:41 PM
John T
Melting Slicks

Received 267 Likes on 145 Posts

Possible scenario
1. Ford GT's are sold or delivered at Ford dealers.
2. Has Ford alienated it's Ford GT base by tripling the price of the current car?
3.Certain cars (Tesla 3) have come on line with higher price then dropped with a less optioned car.
4. In eight months of C8 sales GM could fill a lot of orders in the Middle East, China, and Europe and then offer a lesser equipped C8 in US for under $100,00.
5. Will buyers somewhere feel cheated?
Old 11-10-2018, 01:02 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

MAGA.
I don't know any "poor" guys owning Corvette's. The ones I know are multi millionaires. But I am sure there is a minute % that are "poor".

And America was great already!!!!!!
Zaro Tundov (11-10-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 PM
badass1g
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I was going to start a topic that said "PRICE CONFIRMED $9,999" but then I thought to myself, good hell some of these guys might actually think that was true. Come on guys you know this clown is nothing but a troll. Zero percent chance that the mid engine is going to start at 170k. Possibly the top of the line ZR1 when it comes out in a few years but certainly this a joke to think GM would more then triple their base model flagship car. NO CHANCE!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:24 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

OK, here is something a little stronger: Do you always scam people on the internet, or have you just targeted me?​​​​​​
How is Foosh "scamming" you? He made an amazingly good offer...stand behind YOUR guess and if you're right, you get a GRAND. If you're wrong, you pay him $100.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:51 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael A Riley
I haven’t posted in a really long time. Been sitting here, quietly enjoying my various corvettes, anxious to jump in and order the C8 to add to our collection. $169k seems a bit outrageous. I do love corvette, and currently have one from every generation....but if it really creeps up to a price point comparable to some (albeit slightly used) exotics....well then it’ll be really hard to stick to the brand. Surely that won’t happen.
In 04', Z06 was $55k. Did you say back then you wouldn't pay $126k for the future Z? But people are and $140k for a ZR1. People have been complaining about short falls of the car whether its the interior, the paint, the weight, and wheres the DCT and AWD. Now they will give us a better car, but we are bitching its too much. Somehow we feel if the car is made it Europe it can commend twice the price. GM is simply proving to give a level of performance and quality you got to pay. As of now the ZR1 is bitch smacking a lot of cars that cost more, some substantially, this C8, should really put it over the top and asking $30k more for a car that will pick on and beat the worlds best, is still a bargain.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed