Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Given the information provided by a forum member who claims to be in the know we are to believe the manta ray is coming out next year Then followed by The Grand Tour and Grand Sport editions which are believed to have some inspiration by Cadillac at least on the inside speaking of The Grand Tour model. Is it possible this 169k price is The Grand Tour and or Grand Sport models and that's why zerv provided that as the number?

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 12-08-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:01 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Given the information provided by a forum member who claims to be in the know we are to believe the manta ray is coming out next year Then followed by The Grand Tour and Grand Sport editions which are believed to have some inspiration by Cadillac at least on the inside speaking of The Grand Tour model. Is it possible this 169k price is The Grand Tour and or Grand Sport models and that's why zerv provided that as the number?
Exactly. It could be X, Y or Z. Point being, it could be anything. EVERYONE knows there will be some high-end variant that likely hits that price in its full-trim over the next several years. If I said there would be a $110,000 version - it's pretty much guaranteed I would be right. There will be a version, when trimmed accordingly, that would hit that price almost perfectly. I'm trying to tie down the specifics on the model he's stating (without having to refer to multiple half-answers in over a thousand posts).
Old 12-08-2018, 11:07 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
Zerv - with over 1,200 posts already on this thread, not everyone is going to read through the entire post. Would you please do a quick summary clearly explaining your position on this price point. What the $169,900 represents (within the model range), and any other pertinent info. Not looking for where you got your information, revealing sources, etc. Just looking for a clear description of what the price point you stated is for, without reading over a thousand posts looking for a simple answer. Basically, it would be nice to have a Cliffs Notes version of this book for people to reference later. It will either back you up, or disprove you.
While you’re at it, why don’t you ask Santa Claus how much his sleigh cost.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:14 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
Well duh...NO
This thread was about:
1. BGA capacity
2. Mating habits of the Western Spotted Owl
3. Trucks suck
4. Mid-engine Corvette is HOW MUCH?
5. What sauce and wine best compliment fricasseed American Crow
ok, that was funny. lol
Old 12-08-2018, 11:18 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 868 Likes on 540 Posts

$169,900 would be one step down from the Ferrari 488 GTB which is very similar to the Zora in configuration. The interior won't be Ferrari, but the performance will be as good, if not better. So quite similar to the 488 which would make it very competitive.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:33 AM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Lmao. Chevrolet is going to use a 6.2L Lt1 in it's first ME car? LMAOOOOOO IT WON'T EVEN FIT!

Your going to believe somebody who posted ONCE on this forum? No history, no name, no way to verify anything-- nothing??

You think Chevy will name the car the "Manta Ray"? That's one of the most harmless creatures in our oceans. They are docile, cute, and friendly. They DO NOT HAVE A STINGER for god sakes!!!

The C8 will cost 169,000. Someone who is upset at this FACT made a troll post that makes 0 sense (I don't even think the current engine would fit in a ME format) and people who are holding onto false hope are going to believe ANYONE.

Corvette = WARSHIP
Stingray = NOT CAREFUL, YOU WILL GET STUNG
Viper = DEADLIEST SNAKE IN THE ANIMAL KINGDOM, ONE WRONG MOVE HANDLING ONE AND YOU'LL GET BIT!
Manta Ray = Docile gigantic fin that floats around the ocean with no venom on it's stinger. It feeds on plankton.

Maybe they will have a "Manatee" version of the new Camaro for the 2021-2022 model year that will go head up against the Dodge Hellephant?

Last edited by ViperFan1; 12-08-2018 at 12:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PCMIII (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:47 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

And now it's "known" that a 6.2l LT1 variant won't fit in the forthcoming ME? LOL.

This place is great entertainment.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:53 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by OnPoint
And now it's "known" that a 6.2l LT1 variant won't fit in the forthcoming ME? LOL.

Could be the reason for the Blackwing engines and why they are built at BGA. If there is a low end ME, it would have the LT1, but a high end would need the Blackwing with DCT.
ViperFan1 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 12:57 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Manta Ray = Docile gigantic fin that floats around the ocean with no venom on it's stinger. It feeds on plankton.
But its very cool looking and graceful and has beautiful lines. So it's more a commentary on looks, not performance. So it may be the moniker for the touring version.

Last edited by tcweidner; 12-08-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:41 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Why is this thread still open ? NO VARIANT of the C8 will sell for more than the current ZR1.

GM is in too tough a shape financially to effff around with fantasy toys that sell in low numbers. The C8 will be aimed at 33,000 unit sales a year, or it will die. Simple as that. 33,000 units does not compute with $169,000.

Not even Ferrari, the "ne plus ultra of ridiculous excess", can sell more the 3,000 units at these prices levels. Dan Quayle is no John F. Kennedy, and Corvette will never be Ferrari.
jcsperson (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:05 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,143 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
Lmao. Chevrolet is going to use a 6.2L Lt1 in it's first ME car? LMAOOOOOO IT WON'T EVEN FIT!

Your going to believe somebody who posted ONCE on this forum? No history, no name, no way to verify anything-- nothing??

You think Chevy will name the car the "Manta Ray"? That's one of the most harmless creatures in our oceans. They are docile, cute, and friendly. They DO NOT HAVE A STINGER for god sakes!!!

The C8 will cost 169,000. Someone who is upset at this FACT made a troll post that makes 0 sense (I don't even think the current engine would fit in a ME format) and people who are holding onto false hope are going to believe ANYONE.

Corvette = WARSHIP
Stingray = NOT CAREFUL, YOU WILL GET STUNG
Viper = DEADLIEST SNAKE IN THE ANIMAL KINGDOM, ONE WRONG MOVE HANDLING ONE AND YOU'LL GET BIT!

Maybe they will have a "Manatee" version of the new Camaro for the 2021-2022 model year that will go head up against the Dodge Hellephant?
Oh great. Another idiot. The circus is in town.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:23 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
That is probably one of the most compact V8 packages ever. A lot more compact than any DOHC TT V8 out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tom73:
jcsperson (12-08-2018), Quinten33 (12-08-2018)
Old 12-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yep, absolutely no problem putting an LT1 variant in the ME car.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by dcbingaman
Why is this thread still open ? NO VARIANT of the C8 will sell for more than the current ZR1.

GM is in too tough a shape financially to effff around with fantasy toys that sell in low numbers. The C8 will be aimed at 33,000 unit sales a year, or it will die. Simple as that. 33,000 units does not compute with $169,000.

Not even Ferrari, the "ne plus ultra of ridiculous excess", can sell more the 3,000 units at these prices levels. Dan Quayle is no John F. Kennedy, and Corvette will never be Ferrari.
GM is not in tough shape financially. Where did you get that? In fact they are doing fine and earned a 2.5 billion profit last quarter. Also, how can you say no variant of the C8 will be more than the ZR1? If they follow the same model structure, the top-of-the-line model will definitely be priced higher than a current ZR1.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...it/1821634002/

Last edited by Sub Driver; 12-08-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Exactly, GM is very healthy and what they announced last week will likely keep them that way for the foreseeable future. Ford did the same thing, and other manufacturers will be realigning similarly. They have to change with the times or die.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:12 PM
Mint 67
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the NSX isn't selling
Old 12-08-2018, 05:20 PM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by Mint 67
And the NSX isn't selling

Off Topic. But while in Ocala, Florida, I spotted an NSX out on their lot and had to go check it out. To be honest, the interior was much better than my C6 Z06. The seats were more form fitting as well. I felt snug. So, I had the sales guy (Josh) take me out for a test drive (he drove) and without knowing how to set the launch control, he did his best from a dead stop and I have no doubts it would smoke my C6 Z06. When he mashed the gas, the batteries launched the car hard and the turbos picked up from there. I was quite impressed with it's performance. They are supposedly coming out with an NSX Type-R with upwards of 660 AWD HP.

If the new C8 looks like ***, the NSX may be my next entry level "Supercar" at a much more affordable price than a Ferrari 488 or Hurican.

And the coolest part was the dealer said "maintenance on this, is not marked up. Bring it in, it's an Acura. Just like an MDX or RDX. Unlike Ferraris or Lamborghinis."
PCMIII (12-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 12-08-2018, 05:29 PM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Any car company that cuts five factories in a re-structuring is NOT the picture of financial health. Ms. Barra is certainly making the changes required to keep GM viable, BUT the demise of car production at both GM and Ford does not bode well for the long term viability of the car business in general. Let me give you one reason why. Cars "age" more rapidly than SUV's or trucks from a styling and desirability standpoint. The average time a consumer keeps his car is about 6-7 years. Trucks and SUV's do not "age" nearly as fast, because they all look alike - they are commodities -and there is little or no "shame" in driving an old SUV or truck. The average time a consumer keeps an SUV or truck is well over 10 years. That means, all other things being equal, that the volume (revenue) that either GM or Ford will enjoy in the future is going to rapidly shrink - possibly to 50% of what it was five years ago, EVEN IF THEY HOLD THEIR MARKET SHARE. The one thing that will keep earnings (and stock price) up in these company's is restructuring - i.e.. shrinking the company faster than the revenue stream. That, friends, is very hard to do without losing their only real asset - competitive competance.

Some 75 years ago, Packard, and Studebaker were storied American car companies. Today they are memories. Fiat / Chrysler with Sergio Marchionne gone is probably next. With emerging energy, emission regulation and demographic trends, and an appalling lack of leadership, Ford and GM are probably not THAT far behind.

The last great car guy in any management position that really counted is Bob Lutz. He is now 86 years old. Harvard, U of Penn - Wharton, and the other leading business schools are seemingly incapable of finding and training inspired innovative managers like Lutz who understand product design, engineering development and manufacturing, (In fact, the elite US business schools look down on product design and engineering, probably because "those who can, do and those who can't teach"). As a result there is really no one in position to build the next generation of industrial companies in the United States. (Don't even mention Elon Musk - he makes great headlines but no money for anyone but himself.)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:38 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Any car company that cuts five factories in a re-structuring is NOT the picture of financial health. Ms. Barra is certainly making the changes required to keep GM viable, BUT the demise of car production at both GM and Ford does not bode well for the long term viability of the car business in general. Let me give you one reason why. Cars "age" more rapidly than SUV's or trucks from a styling and desirability standpoint. The average time a consumer keeps his car is about 6-7 years. Trucks and SUV's do not "age" nearly as fast, because they all look alike - they are commodities -and there is little or no "shame" in driving an old SUV or truck. The average time a consumer keeps an SUV or truck is well over 10 years. That means, all other things being equal, that the volume (revenue) that either GM or Ford will enjoy in the future is going to rapidly shrink - possibly to 50% of what it was five years ago, EVEN IF THEY HOLD THEIR MARKET SHARE. The one thing that will keep earnings (and stock price) up in these company's is restructuring - i.e.. shrinking the company faster than the revenue stream. That, friends, is very hard to do without losing their only real asset - competitive competance.

Some 75 years ago, Packard, and Studebaker were storied American car companies. Today they are memories. Fiat / Chrysler with Sergio Marchionne gone is probably next. With emerging energy, emission regulation and demographic trends, and an appalling lack of leadership, Ford and GM are probably not THAT far behind.

The last great car guy in any management position that really counted is Bob Lutz. He is now 86 years old. Harvard, U of Penn - Wharton, and the other leading business schools are seemingly incapable of finding and training inspired innovative managers like Lutz who understand product design, engineering development and manufacturing, (In fact, the elite US business schools look down on product design and engineering, probably because "those who can, do and those who can't teach"). As a result there is really no one in position to build the next generation of industrial companies in the United States. (Don't even mention Elon Musk - he makes great headlines but no money for anyone but himself.)
Your opinions on the future are all well and good but it doesn't change the fact that GM is doing just fine (as backed up by earnings figures not opinions). GM, Ford, and FCA are all responding to market conditions so they do not get caught flat-footed like they did prior to the last recession.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:51 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Any car company that cuts five factories in a re-structuring is NOT the picture of financial health.
I think the restructuring has more to do with making sedans in the USA. GM is not closing factories in Mexico or China and if the new ME Corvette is truly world class, GM will be selling it everywhere.
The old GM business model of designing and selling 90% to Americans is no longer viable. GM must be a world class manufacturer like Toyota, VW, etc.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed