Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Old 12-10-2018, 11:17 PM
Zerv02
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Which is precisely why a warmed-over C7 as the low cost alternative is incredibly risky, and I'm convinced would fail as a strategy. I don't think GM is stupid.

No Big, that is base MSRP for today's ZR1. I don't think you read the rest of the post. My entire point was the market for $130K+ Corvettes is maybe a few thousand units max.
Originally Posted by dcbingaman

"Base: $105-115K (MY SPECULATION)
Mid: $169k (YES)
Halo: $250K + (MY SPECULATION)"

Since we are now talking "beliefs" based on "atmospheric extraction alone", here are my (slightly educated) predictions for G8 MSRP:

Base (LT1+ with DCT) $65K

GT (4.2 DOHC TT "Blackwing" with DCT) $85K

GS (5.5L DOHC TT with DCT) $120K

GS Hybrid (5.5L DOHC TT with Integral Starter Generator + 4WD) $150K

I just..... I... I clearly said.. that one of the variants is confirmed at $169k.... and you just blew right past it..

Dear lord
Old 12-10-2018, 11:22 PM
Zerv02
Racer

Received 308 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
Thanks for the reality check zerv02....
We we’re just feeding off each other’s nonsense ,and got carried away.
Nice to have a voice of reason around .
Thanks

P.S
Funny how both PCM and yourself sport 2 Corvettes each...
Burago?or maybe Hotwheels?
C6 grand sport > C7 stingray > and then finally a c7 z06
Old 12-10-2018, 11:57 PM
supermetroid
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Just add 50K to each one and you've got it.

So now you're saying there'll be 4 versions of the ME alongside the FE continuing?
Old 12-11-2018, 12:01 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Quinten33

I think that a big issue is the drop-off in C7 sales. If a FE C8 is coming, it must be 2-model years away. Considering the overflowing C7 inventory, I don’t see how they can continue to make anywhere near as many C7’s as they normally would. In two years, they’d be putting 10-20% discounts on every C7 in stock, right? So, let’s assume the C8 ME undercuts the 992 Carrera at $98,000. How many of those could they sell per year at that price? 6000? So let’s assume that C7 production is halved or at 15,000/year. That’s 21,000 units produced per year until the C8 FE car arrives. Of course, this is pure speculation and I didn’t even bother to look up things such as what % of Corvettes cost as much as $98,000. I don’t see how they can afford to make the C8 ME nearly $100,000 without a C8 FE being produced at the same time.

I certainly would love to see the ME start at $100k with a FE starting around $60K, as that would allow the ME car to have far less compromises than the FE Corvette. I’m really curious as to how the extra space at BGA will be used, but we I won’t know for sure for a long while. All I know is that the C8 will be the best generation of Corvette, and that both the Corvette customers and GM’s executives will not be disappointed.
This is exactly what I've been thinking also. A C8 FE starting in the low 60's and the C8 ME starting at 80-90.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:27 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerv02
So.... I went back and counted.

9 posts where I explained that there will be THREE variants and the $169k was most likely for the 2nd variant released shortly after the base model. I already stated 9 times that this price is most likely for the mid-tier GT, but even so, I still believe the base variant will have an entry of $105-115K. The keyword is believe. It's just my speculation that the base will cost low 6 figures ($105-115K) based upon the mid-tiers confirmed $169k price point and other factors. If the GT will cost $169K, what on earth will justify a $100k price hike (based on peoples hopes of the base costing $60-70k). The mid-tier variant will be released much quicker than the z06 was released post stingray reveal. Why? I don't know. Is there a possibility of two corvettes, FE & ME? Sure. Maybe? No? Who knows....

Base: $105-115K (MY SPECULATION)
Halo: $250K + (MY SPECULATION)

Does the Base c8 feel like a car worthy of a $105-115k price point? I can tell you, yes, absolutely. Having owned a c6, and two c7's (stingray and z06) this is a wholeeeee different monster. Anyone whos driven the thing can attest to this.

Please show where you called the mid level car a GT prior to Dec 4.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:42 AM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,139 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7
Thanks for the reality check zerv02....
We we’re just feeding off each other’s nonsense ,and got carried away.
Nice to have a voice of reason around .
Thanks

P.S
Funny how both PCM and yourself sport 2 Corvettes each...
Burago?or maybe Hotwheels?

Voice of reason?

Old 12-11-2018, 02:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,598 Likes on 6,612 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerv02

Base: $105-115K (MY SPECULATION)
Halo: $250K + (MY SPECULATION)
We're all entitled to an opinion. Here's mine:

Base C8 ~$70,000
Grand Sport (using toady's features) ~$80,000
Z06 (Grand Sport with more power) ~$90,000
Grand Touring (New Name for new configuration and features) ~$90,000 to $110,000
ZR1 equivalent ~$150,000 (probably a year or two after C8 intro)

Details and Need for Grand Touring
(Note: wide price range speculated because some expensive options available)

I find the Grand Touring, as was speculated in another Thread, is something that has been lacking in the Corvette offering. Not my preference, which is a Grand Sport considering today's features but for the many "complaints" I have seen from the time I got my C7 Z51 in October 2013:

1) In 2013 and 2014 many Posters expressed a desire for the Z51 spoiler and larger wheels/tires but not the stiffer ride, dry sump etc. GM finally offered an option of the Z51 spoiler and wheels BUT with the softer base suspension, no dry sump which this group of folks didn't need etc.

2) The Grand Sport was introduced and some folks bought it because they liked the look of the "fat rear." (Still cannot understand how they could like the look of the front Spats- I don't! I got my Grand Sport for the fat tires as the Z51 had the same width tires as my C6 Z51 with more power and particular more low end torque with variable cam timing. Even the Grand Sport is traction limited but less so than the Z51.) Too bad GM didn't offer a Grand Sport "Look-Alike" as many who bought for the "fat rear" complain about the stiff ride and will never get close to even 1 "g" lateral acceleration. As with the Z51 they hate the brake dust! The Grand Touring will have low dust pads, but not good for Tracking!

3) Many folks are constantly posting about wanting a "better sound system," which is useless with the road and tire noise (for sure in a coupe.) The speculation (or having inside info of what the Cadillac engineers were doing 2 years ago when it was reported they were involved in the C8 project for their planned version- which Mary Barra and company apparently killed) that the "Grand Touring" variant will have well engineered sound deadening including acoustic glass to make an upscale Bang & Olufsen etc. worth getting.

4) Tire chatter and not driving with OEM tires below 35F are a continual complaint by a number of folks. Light weight wheels that can't handle pot holes are another. So a more normal tire that can be driven when cold that doesn't chatter and heavier wheels that can deal with pot holes are logical for the Grand Touring model.

5) Leather! The only "real leather" currently is on the 3LT and then ONLY for the seating surface- not even on the side bolsters! The Grand Touring gets lots more real leather! No GM coined name "Mulan Leather" that is ~40% ground leather scrapes mixed with "stuff" and constructed like Vinyl. Yep a number of folks are willing to pay for that option. Perhaps another option, like the upgraded sound system, can be high end Italian leather seats and door panels available as extra cost option on the Grand Touring variant. Not really a big deal in manufacture, as seats, door panels etc are delivered to Bowling Green by vendors.

All those options can be added on the same standard GM type production line and although an expensive variant, its still at a price point folks will be willing to buy at a standard Chevy dealer (same folks who will still buy at Walmart and stay in a Holiday Inn!)

We'll soon see who's speculation is right!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-11-2018 at 07:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by supermetroid

So now you're saying there'll be 4 versions of the ME alongside the FE continuing?
Nobody knows. But the ME is going to be a lot more money than wishful thinkers here believe. It will not be the Value Vette.
ViperFan1 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 AM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 32 Posts

Nobody knows. But the ME is going to be a lot more money than wishful thinkers here believe. It will not be the Value Vette.
How do you KNOW? Not what you think but what you KNOW.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MagRedConv
How do you KNOW? Not what you think but what you KNOW.
I know what the NSX costs.
I know what the Audi R8 costs.
I know that a Cayman can easily cost over $100K.
I know what a McLaren 570s costs.

Every high performance sports car on the market costs a lot of money, but the dreamers here think that the ME Corvette will be much cheaper.
ViperFan1 (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:28 AM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

You know it's going to be a fortune when Streetspeed717 agrees--

Old 12-11-2018, 11:37 AM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

I know what the NSX costs.
I know what the Audi R8 costs.
I know that a Cayman can easily cost over $100K.
I know what a McLaren 570s costs.

Every high performance sports car on the market costs a lot of money, but the dreamers here think that the ME Corvette will be much cheaper.
You know nothing about the C8
dcbingaman (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:38 AM
MagRedConv
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ViperFan1
You know it's going to be a fortune when Streetspeed717 agrees--
WTF is this? I mean beside a post count for you and useless.
ByByBMW (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 11:48 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MagRedConv
You know nothing about the C8
I have inside information from a highly reliable source at GM. I can only say that her name is Mary B.
She swore to me that the ME Manta Ray will easily out run the McLaren 570s and look better, but only cost $50K. Corvette will sell 100K the first year. Then they will bring out a SUV Corvette to beat the Urus and it will only cost $40K! Good times ahead, I tells ya.

Last edited by PCMIII; 12-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:50 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I think it's far more likely and cost-effective to "morph" the Camaro into a "Camvette," or a little closer to what the Corvette has traditionally been. It already has the performance, and that would satisfy whatever demand remains for an FE performance car.

Atari, a couple of observations: 1) I've owned both an F-Type and an M3, and I do not think the interiors of those cars were any more upscale than the current 2LT/3LT, and 2) Look at the production numbers on the 3LT option, which are very small in comparison to 1 and 2LT. That does not suggest a lot of buyers are willing to pay more for a better interior.
Coorelation does not determine cause. If you put a high scale interior in a Kia that does not mean that Mercedes buyers are suddenly going to change brands. There are certain brand images that are hard to overcome. Typically, buyers are not buying a Corvette for the high quality interior.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:53 AM
Zora.Info
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
This is exactly what I've been thinking also. A C8 FE starting in the low 60's and the C8 ME starting at 80-90.
Wow, finally people are agreeing with what I've been saying this whole time.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by jimmyb
You think Corvette's competition (in looks/performance/anything) is Ferrari, Lamborghini, BUGATTI, Konigsegg, Pagani, etc???
Seriously?
I got to give it to you....THIS is the most RIDICULOUS post ever.
I would love to see Tadge's face when you show him a picture of a Zonda and say: "Here's your target, how do you think you did?"
Still waiting to hear who you think Corvette's competition is. Let's go through the list. Vipers aren't on the market right now so that's out. So at Dodge you have the Challenger and the Charger. Hopefully you aren't going to try to argue that they are competitors of the Corvette, they aren't even the same type of car. So then we have Ford. Mustang GT350, Shelby whatever, Ford GT? The GT350 is a great car but more appropriate to compare to the higher end Camaros. So the Ford GT? I guess not based on the price. So, moving on to the only American competition left, the Camaro. Are you going to argue that the Corvette's competition is another car from its own maker? So, then we have Japan. Nissan GTR maybe? A great car but is this your bellweather, a car that came out in 2007 and is pretty much still the same car? Lexus LFA maybe? Not made anymore. IS-F? God I hope not, if so, get out. NSX? Again, not at a base price of $157K if we are using the pricing argument. So, on to Europe. Jaguar F-Type? Not the same type of car, but a great car. Too heavy to be a true competitor. Lotus? Assuming the Exige is still made, not even the same type of car, also Top Gear once thought it more appropriate to compare it to a Mustang. Maserati? No. AMG GT? That's a really nice car, not quite a true sports car, but a great car. Base model is close in price. Base 911? Ok, but at the same time, who wants a base 911. M3, M4, M5, M6, M8 whatever? All great cars, but more luxury GT cars. Ferrari? Pagani? Koenigsegg? Lambo? None in the price range. Fiat? Alfa? LOL.

So...after looking at the options, based on your logic we are left with:

Mustang GT350
Dodge Challenger
Chevy Camaro
Nissan GTR
Jaguar F-Type
Mercedes AMG GT
Base 911
M3
M4
M5

Is this your C7 competitor list?

Unsurprisingly the Corvette is pretty much the lightest car on this list. All of the non US options have much nicer interiors. And frankly if you don't buy the base 911 or the AMG GT, you bought the wrong car. I love Corvettes and have owned many, but the leader of the pack it is not even when compared to similarly priced competition. There is more to life than a big engine and cornering.

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

I have inside information from a highly reliable source at GM. I can only say that her name is Mary B.
She swore to me that the ME Manta Ray will easily out run the McLaren 570s and look better, but only cost $50K. Corvette will sell 100K the first year. Then they will bring out a SUV Corvette to beat the Urus and it will only cost $40K! Good times ahead, I tells ya.
It's possible that the ME will outrun a 570s. Corvettes often compete well in the performance department. As far as looks, McLaren competes with Ferrari on the artistic side of things, and both do this job very well. Frankly, as long as Tadge is the chief engineer, the C8 is unlikely to win any beauty contests.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:36 PM
ltomn
Pro

Received 240 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
It's possible that the ME will outrun a 570s. Corvettes often compete well in the performance department. As far as looks, McLaren competes with Ferrari on the artistic side of things, and both do this job very well. Frankly, as long as Tadge is the chief engineer, the C8 is unlikely to win any beauty contests.
If they would let Hwasup Lee go to town, they'd come up with a homerun. That earlier design of his from 2010 is stellar even today, which is 8 years later.
dcbingaman (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

In your opinion, of course. I haven't seen your suggestion generate any excitement here at all.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed