Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 08:15 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Nope, I gave you facts of what comparable ME high performance cars cost. Your opinion, based on nothing, is that the C8 ME will cost less than half what the competition costs. Talk about magical thinking!
You gave no proof of $170k for the c8... you have no proof that GM will give it that price.. Your “logic” is not proof. Only GM naming the price is “proof” which you don’t have and you can’t substitute in your opinion. I can’t conceive of a clearer way to say it. Therefore, when you say someone’s statement is ‘faith based’ make sure you don’t give back that same faith in response.

Last edited by tcinla; 12-21-2018 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla

. Your “logic” is not proof. Only GM naming the price is “proof”

I was just trying to help you out in understanding why the C8 ME is going to be a lot more than you think. Believe whatever you want. Makes no difference to me because you are the one who will get the sticker shock when the moment of "proof" arrives. I will be ready, OTOH, for a price above the ZR1 and make my decision based on what the car offers for that money. Maybe it will be another bargain like the ZR1 for which there is high demand despite the high price. Or maybe it will be like the NSX that nobody wants. In any event, I will be ready for the high price while you will not.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:38 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I was just trying to help you out in understanding why the C8 ME is going to be a lot more than you think. Believe whatever you want. Makes no difference to me because you are the one who will get the sticker shock when the moment of "proof" arrives. I will be ready, OTOH, for a price above the ZR1 and make my decision based on what the car offers for that money. Maybe it will be another bargain like the ZR1 for which there is high demand despite the high price. Or maybe it will be like the NSX that nobody wants. In any event, I will be ready for the high price while you will not.
so you have no proof. Got it.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:50 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by painexpert
For that price I would rather have a Porsche 911 Turbo.
No thanks!!
Old 12-23-2018, 06:39 PM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Nope, I gave you facts of what comparable ME high performance cars cost. Your opinion, based on nothing, is that the C8 ME will cost less than half what the competition costs. Talk about magical thinking!
The extent to which you miss the boat on this cannot possibly be overstated. I could give a flying fark what it costs, I'm not going to be in the market for another $60K+ sports car over the next 12-18 months regardless. But I put my money on GM sticking the business model that has worked with the Corvette for 70 years, that means a base price in line with that thinking and I doubt that would be over $60-$65K. All your 'logic' is rationalization to support your silly pricing theory. Why WOULDN'T a new Corvette costs less than comparable competing cars? THAT has been at the very core of Corvette marketing for 70 years.

Old 12-23-2018, 06:45 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

Wait there are still some dumb asses that think the mid engine BASE MODEL will start at $160,000??? WOW!!
Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
Wait there are still some dumb asses that think the mid engine BASE MODEL will start at $160,000??? WOW!!
Why do you think they will introduce the base model before the high performance model? There is no problem starting with the $160K model when the FE model is available to cover the market from $60-150K.
Just depends on what Corvette's goal is with the ME. Simply make another run of the mill car in base form as they have for decades, or build the best possible to beat Porsche and conquer the world market?

Obviously, lots of folks here would be happy with the run of the mill ME first, but most Corvette buyers have never been interested in ME per se which is why Corvette has never built one. Believe anything you want because it doesn't matter to me, but I am not interested in a run of the mill, glorified Fiero with a V8.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:39 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by patentcad
But I put my money on GM sticking the business model that has worked with the Corvette for 70 years, .
If that were true, Corvette would not be building a ME at all. So you lose.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:05 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
The extent to which you miss the boat on this cannot possibly be overstated. ….. But I put my money on GM sticking the business model that has worked with the Corvette for 70 years, that means a base price in line with that thinking and I doubt that would be over $60-$65K. All your 'logic' is rationalization to support your silly pricing theory.,,,,
Apparently he does not understand or wish to believe GM is in business to make a volume car and not to compete head on with a "supercar." He also does not understand the marketing position issue said best in my recent post: "Folks selling Rolex watches don't sell Timex and folks selling Timex don't also sell Rolex!"

Last edited by JerryU; 12-23-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

The ME is not designed to be a “Halo” car, is is nothing more than the next generation Corvette.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:16 PM
VETTE-NV
16 Vettes and counting…..
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,141 Likes on 540 Posts

This thread has been going nowhere from the start. It's become just one more giant pissing match, the likes of which has turned this forum into a swamp of misinformation and click bait. The inmates are running the asylum. The accurate information that does emerge here, what little there is of it lately, is hardly worth sifting through the muck. This particular unbearable bit of slime should have been closed down a long time ago.

Last edited by VETTE-NV; 12-23-2018 at 11:17 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by VETTE-NV:
ByByBMW (12-24-2018), Foosh (12-24-2018), jimmyb (12-24-2018), Red67John (12-24-2018), WesC7 (12-24-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:31 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Someone will lose when they debut the car in the spring...save your quote.

The brand is created ,don’t really mater where they decide to place the engine.
Buyers will flock to the next Corvette.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:03 AM
Red67John
Pro

Received 394 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by VETTE-NV
This thread has been going nowhere from the start. It's become just one more giant pissing match, the likes of which has turned this forum into a swamp of misinformation and click bait. The inmates are running the asylum. The accurate information that does emerge here, what little there is of it lately, is hardly worth sifting through the muck. This particular unbearable bit of slime should have been closed down a long time ago.
Amen!!!!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:33 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Kirkland
MSRP:
1997: $37,495
2004: $43,710
2014: $52,000
2020: $62,000-$66,000. I just don't see the jump to $100,000+ when you look at past pricing.
Agreed. But you are talking base model pricing.

Remind me the MSRP of a fully loaded C7 ZR-1?

If the new C8 Mid Engine hits a homerun on both design and performance that exceeds 755 hp, hit 0-60 in 2.X and runs down Ferrari and Lamborghinis for 1/2 to 1/3rd the price, why not?

The Acura NSX is selling for $160k. It may be selling slowly, but it is selling.

The new C8 ME should blow the Acura out by a landslide in performance. And if the new C8 high performance type model is over 755 hp, I highly doubt it will sell for less than a fully loaded outgoing C7 ZR-1.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:34 AM
ViperFan1
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC

If the new C8 Mid Engine hits a homerun on both design and performance that exceeds 755 hp, hit 0-60 in 2.X and runs down Ferrari and Lamborghinis for 1/2 to 1/3rd the price, why not?

The Acura NSX is selling for $160k. It may be selling slowly, but it is selling.

The new C8 ME should blow the Acura out by a landslide in performance. And if the new C8 high performance type model is over 755 hp, I highly doubt it will sell for less than a fully loaded outgoing C7 ZR-1.
I agree. Trim for trim is a CYA comment and the 50k crowd doesnt understand this.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:24 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
Apparently he does not understand or wish to believe GM is in business to make a volume car and not to compete head on with a "supercar." He also does not understand the marketing position issue said best in my recent post: "Folks selling Rolex watches don't sell Timex and folks selling Timex don't also sell Rolex!"
Porsche sells sports cars from $60-200K so Corvette can do the same. If the FE is still being produced, the ME can be over $150K with no problem. Why is this so hard to understand?
Old 12-24-2018, 11:43 AM
ShagVette
Safety Car

Received 915 Likes on 426 Posts

Why is it always about winning and losing with you and other people's opinions.

Porsche sells sports cars from $60-200K so Corvette can do the same. If the FE is still being produced, the ME can be over $150K with no problem. Why is this so hard to understand?
Please see above.

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 12-24-2018, 12:23 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,606 Likes on 6,619 Posts

Why is it so hard for you to understand my marketing point re Timex/Rolex etc (retract, I gave up hope some time ago!) Have you ever been to a Porsche dealership???

FUN STORY RE VISITING ONE NEAR HILTON HEAD!
Was in Hilton Head for New Year with friends and the wife had a Porsche Cayenne at the time. Not super happy with the Porsche dealer where I was bringing her car for expensive ($250) oil changes and all they did was change oil and check off as OK a bunch of stuff not really needed. I checked and the Porsche dealership just outside Hilton Head had an oil change special. Made an appointment for 10 AM.

Wife and friends wanted to visit something so I brought the car in early! Boy that was a problem as they have everything planned to be ready when you get there. They were jumping all over themselves to be sure I was happy waiting! Mentioned they had a Porsche Panorama GTS in being fitted with "every option" offered including those the dealer installs. As I recall it had a price near $200,000! I remember saying that is impossible and the salesman laughed and said - it adds up! (For those who mention Corvette tax, look at any Porsche option, it's over 5 times a Vette price.) It even had the off-road package that has electric links on the sway bars that can release to you get more wheel travel it going over rocky areas!

I recall asking the young lady at the desk in the waiting area who was buying the car? She said a fellow with a Russian accent bought it for his wife. He just said, "put every option on it available!" She said he had just bought two adjacent ocean front homes in Hilton head, was tearing them down and building one with Gold plated fixtures! Then she said, his wife had a necklace with a diamond as big as a golf ball! I recall thinking Russian oligarch, could also be someone you don't want to mess with.

Bottom Line: He would not shop at a Chevy Dealer!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-24-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:27 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC

If the C8 runs the way of the NSX, it's basically OVER before it gets started. To say the NSX is "selling" is laughable. Through November, Acura has sold 153 this year!!! (13.9 cars PER MONTH). That's not selling "slowly", that's a DISASTER. Hell, the VIPER sold more than that and we all know where the Viper is now.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2013/07...es-usa-canada/

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-24-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:37 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Why do you think they will introduce the base model before the high performance model? There is no problem starting with the $160K model when the FE model is available to cover the market from $60-150K.
Just depends on what Corvette's goal is with the ME. Simply make another run of the mill car in base form as they have for decades, or build the best possible to beat Porsche and conquer the world market?

Obviously, lots of folks here would be happy with the run of the mill ME first, but most Corvette buyers have never been interested in ME per se which is why Corvette has never built one. Believe anything you want because it doesn't matter to me, but I am not interested in a run of the mill, glorified Fiero with a V8.
History. Through 7 generations of Corvettes, the base car has released FIRST, followed by ever increased performance models in the years after. And the mules that we've all seen pictures of are clearly base cars based on rotor/tire size. Not ONE big brake/big tire mule has been seen. NOT ONE. I don't really know what else to tell you.

And please, can you give the "glorified Fiero" thing a rest. It's just about the MOST ignorant thing you can say. You realize that anyone 30 years old and younger doesn't even know what a Fiero IS, right?

Last edited by jimmyb; 12-24-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed