Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 06:19 PM
tolnep
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by alienranch
I still haven't seen anyone ask Zerv the question everyone is debating.

Zerv - What does this price represent? I think it's pretty much agreed there will be 3+ variants of this car over the next few years. Is this the price of a fully-optioned, hi hp variant, or are you saying this is the base price for the entry-level version (which is just shy of being an impossibility). Point being, you threw out a single number as "the" price. You can't even do that with the current generation. Prices range from $60k - $130k.

What does $169,900 buy?
it buys the flux-capicator. thats actually what makes it so expensive. and like veyron, oil change costs 20,000$ as they have to re-align the capacitor and fill it with unobtanium.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:36 PM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Fore58
​​​​​​Who and where is the source of information?
It was written on a bathroom wall at a FORD Dealership?
Old 11-02-2018, 08:18 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by IronV
Bravo. The C8 will represent a leapfrog extension of the secret sauce formula that Chevy has used to build the best car in the world for generations.
Do you also know an ingredient to that secret sauce? Price, the price of a new Corvette could be in reach by anyone with a good job that pays an average salary, 169k does not make a car easily accessible to someone with an average job.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:42 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Lot's of people here are so desperate to keep the price of the Corvette down and understandably so but don't have a heart attack or start pissing on the Corvette. If one can't afford a Corvette then so be it! It's not a car to be afforded by everyone. It's a high-end toy. And lot's of BS spewing around here like comparing a ME Corvette to a highly unrefined Viper or using words like VAT or act like they know the Chinese market, etc.

That said, I would not be too worried about GM raising the price of a base Corvette to $170K. Sure if it's a limited production car like a GT3 or even a 911TT, NSX, etc then yes but in that case I am fairly certain there will be lower priced variant or even a FE offered. Do you think Porsche would survive if their cheapest car started out at $170K? Absolutely not! Now real exotics (which Porsche's are no where being that) like Ferrari, Lambo's, Aston's can and are surviving and thriving having cars start at these prices and higher. Porsche is just clever and produce super limited and expensive variants and that perception trickles down to their lesser priced models and then you have people that then perceive all Porsche's holier-than-thou. If GM produced say a Z06R, ZR1-S or whatever and only produced like 250-500 units a year and sold-out everyone of them at $250K then maybe these same people would think the same about the Corvette.

Anyways. IMO it makes sense to have two Corvette variants, a FE starting out at $65K and a ME starting at whatever$$ price to appease everyone.
skank (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:14 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Lot's of people here are so desperate to keep the price of the Corvette down and understandably so but don't have a heart attack or start pissing on the Corvette. If one can't afford a Corvette then so be it! It's not a car to be afforded by everyone. It's a high-end toy. And lot's of BS spewing around here like comparing a ME Corvette to a highly unrefined Viper or using words like VAT or act like they know the Chinese market, etc.

That said, I would not be too worried about GM raising the price of a base Corvette to $170K. Sure if it's a limited production car like a GT3 or even a 911TT, NSX, etc then yes but in that case I am fairly certain there will be lower priced variant or even a FE offered. Do you think Porsche would survive if their cheapest car started out at $170K? Absolutely not! Now real exotics (which Porsche's are no where being that) like Ferrari, Lambo's, Aston's can and are surviving and thriving having cars start at these prices and higher. Porsche is just clever and produce super limited and expensive variants and that perception trickles down to their lesser priced models and then you have people that then perceive all Porsche's holier-than-thou. If GM produced say a Z06R, ZR1-S or whatever and only produced like 250-500 units a year and sold-out everyone of them at $250K then maybe these same people would think the same about the Corvette.

Anyways. IMO it makes sense to have two Corvette variants, a FE starting out at $65K and a ME starting at whatever$$ price to appease everyone.
It makes no sense whatsoever.

Ford sells only a dozen Ford GTs a month. You almost never see one on the street. I see more Ferraris and Lambos locally than Ford GTs because I've never seen even one. Ford is getting absolutely no bump from that car at all like they get from the Mustang. The difference between Ford and Porsche is that Stuttgart has a range of cars at nearly every price point between a $60K Boxster and $330K GT2 Weissach. Ford has a fully-loaded Mustang at around $70K and a $450,000 limited-production car, but nothing in between. Nobody driving a Mustang says to himself, "Maybe I'll move up to a Ford GT next time."

Corvette is the American sports car because it's always been obtainable to those of us with a reasonable income. That's why it will start in the $60s for a 1LT base model. Guys like me who had driven RX7s, Camaros and such when we were younger aspired to a Corvette as our next step up. I've had a 2001 Z51 and now have a 2017 GS. When the ME comes out, I'll be taking a very close look at it at any price up to around $80-85K. If it's north of $100K, I suspect I and most other current Corvette owners won't be buying.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcsperson:
Foosh (11-03-2018), ShagVette (11-03-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:34 PM
SD1
Burning Brakes

Received 343 Likes on 170 Posts

A well equipped 911S is north of a $130k and would be overwhelmed by a ZO6 and likely just as easily outpaced by a well sorted ME with even less power. I think price is wholly dependent on what GM thinks it can move, if its 10-15k units or less I think my guess on pricing is spot on.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:12 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,247 Likes on 1,668 Posts

Originally Posted by Zjoe6
18 pages, whoa.
4, change your settings
Old 11-03-2018, 12:21 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Fiberglass in the Frozen North

Originally Posted by themonk
Do you also know an ingredient to that secret sauce? Price, the price of a new Corvette could be in reach by anyone with a good job that pays an average salary, 169k does not make a car easily accessible to someone with an average job.
As far as I'm concerned, that 169 number is as valid as any other set of 3 real numbers. I have NO IDEA what the price point is going to be on the C8.

What I do know is this: It will represent a mind-boggling value--once again offering the most impressive combination of performance, price, economy, utility, and reliability in its class.

The issue is not price point, per se. Establishing a price point for a product is alchemy. Good lord, any number of reasonable formulas can provide different numbers (not to mention internal politics).

What the C8 will represent, without doubt, is freaking HUGE VALUE.

Last edited by IronV; 11-03-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:32 AM
dcbingaman
Burning Brakes

Received 342 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
It is what it is: $170,000. Honda priced it to sell the volume they wanted. GM will do the same. The Zora will be the halo race car for the world market and will command world prices.
I don'r frikking think so - Acura projected 3000 units a year for the new NSX, and they haven't even reached 1/3 of that. Honda is losing their a$$ on this car and our seriously considering "de-contenting" it like Audi is doing with the RWD R8 version, or just stopping production altogether. Only Ferrari can make money selling $200K + cars because of their brand. GM is not this stupid.
The following 2 users liked this post by dcbingaman:
Foosh (11-03-2018), Supermassive (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 12:44 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts

Let me get out my Ouija board, Tarot cards, and most important--Magic 8 Ball...
Old 11-03-2018, 08:04 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The OP is FOS.

It is not the cost of the car, it is the dealership experience and everything that goes with it that commands that kind of price. A Porsche salesman will follow you to the bathroom to help you wipe.

Good luck getting most Chevy dealers(including forum sponsors) to respond or have any clue about the product they are selling, much less the service department.

Of course, it is GM, who's motto is 'if it didn't work the first time, just do it again without addressing the issue'. i.e. Cadillac and the dealers, service, excellent dynamics but sub-par interiors, etc...etc...how many Cadillac reinventions have their been? How many 'world beater' cars has GM came out with but every single time missed very large and obvious marks that were usually what was the issue with the last vehicle they produced?

Zaro Tundov (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
The OP is FOS.

It is not the cost of the car, it is the dealership experience and everything that goes with it that commands that kind of price. A Porsche salesman will follow you to the bathroom to help you wipe.
Right on. Except you just turned me off from Porsche, lol.

Of course, it is GM, who's motto is 'if it didn't work the first time, just do it again without addressing the issue'. i.e. Cadillac and the dealers, service, excellent dynamics but sub-par interiors, etc...etc...how many Cadillac reinventions have their been? How many 'world beater' cars has GM came out with but every single time missed very large and obvious marks that were usually what was the issue with the last vehicle they produced?
Sadly this is so true. I own an ATS4 Coupe and while it's a great handling car, it really isn't in the same league with BMW, Alfa Romeo, or even the new Kia Stinger. The drivetrain is standard issue GM corporate. It has an NA V6 for about the same price as the competition with turbo V6 engines and the transmission is a disaster (luckily I have the older 6L45 which is decent). The V6 revs high but it lacks torque and it's NVH isn't on par with the competition. The 2.0T LTG engine from 2013-2014 is known to self-immolate as a result of pre-ignition despite GM's years of prior experience building 2.0T engine variants. The axle seals at the rear differential leak. The AC evaporator has a defective drain tube design that results in mold and mildew growth for a dank swampy stench. The abominable CUE touchscreen interface likes to delaminate and stop sensing touch.

If you want a V6TT it's a BIG surcharge, but don't even think about AWD because GM couldn't bother to engineer AWD for their top end engine. Sorry but I have sports cars for summer driving, the Cadillac is my all season car.

Sorry for the long winded rant but GM is such a frustrating company. They get 80% of a car dead on and then they give up. "It's good enough" should be their motto. Don't even get me started on the new Camaro, another disaster based on the Alpha Platform. They've squandered one of the best chassis designs in the world because of bad design decisions and cheap-**** bean counters who keep the engineers on choke chain collars.

Last edited by Zaro Tundov; 11-03-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:17 AM
FringbirdAloha
Burning Brakes

Received 729 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
Right on. Except you just turned me off from Porsche, lol.

Sadly this is so true. I own an ATS4 Coupe and while it's a great handling car, it really isn't in the same league with BMW, Alfa Romeo, or even the new Kia Stinger. The drivetrain is standard issue GM corporate. It has an NA V6 for about the same price as the competition with turbo V6 engines and the transmission is a disaster (luckily I have the older 6L45 which is decent). The V6 revs high but it lacks torque and it's NVH isn't on par with the competition. The 2.0T LTG engine from 2013-2014 is known to self-immolate as a result of pre-ignition despite GM's years of prior experience building 2.0T engine variants. The axle seals at the rear differential leak. The AC evaporator has a defective drain tube design that results in mold and mildew growth for a dank swampy stench. The abominable CUE touchscreen interface likes to delaminate and stop sensing touch.

If you want a V6TT it's a BIG surcharge, but don't even think about AWD because GM couldn't bother to engineer AWD for their top end engine. Sorry but I have sports cars for summer driving, the Cadillac is my all season car.

Sorry for the long winded rant but GM is such a frustrating company. They get 80% of a car dead on and then they give up. "It's good enough" should be their motto. Don't even get me started on the new Camaro, another disaster based on the Alpha Platform. They've squandered one of the best chassis designs in the world because of bad design decisions and cheap-**** bean counters who keep the engineers on choke chain collars.
Dont know what you’re talking about. The 6th gen Camaro is amazing to drive, especially the ZL1.
rb185afm (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:23 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

It would be a ridiculous hurdle for GM to bring their base car up to 169k just by moving the engine and making the interior better. It’s Not going to happen and if this was GM new direction they would need to bring this ME under the Cadillac name or a stand-alone car. Could the ZR1 version start at 169k in 3 + years from now sure, but it will still have components from its lesser brother that has a base price around 70k that is serviced at a chevy dealer.. To me that is the rub and the Challenge when selling a car north of 169k especially the base car. Only the fan boys and a few othes are able to look beyond having a complete luxury offering. Zerv has not posted much since this claim and only been on the forum since 2018. I joked an said he could be a click bater to increase post and thread volume. GM has done an incredible job keeping the leaks at a minimum, I bet the White House could learn something from them. Hopefully the car will be revealed in a few months so we can put this debate to rest. Then start all over again when seeing the next variant testing.

Last edited by fasttoys; 11-03-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:37 AM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha

Dont know what you’re talking about. The 6th gen Camaro is amazing to drive, especially the ZL1.
Yeah, the Camaros are wiping the floor with Mustangs and Challengers in almost all performance metrics across all comparable models/trims. The engineers knocked it out of the park with the new Camaros, but they still have to fix the cabin.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:51 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

exciting times..
  • The OP has provided information in the past which pointed to him having a role as some part mfr (or something like that) for this car no?
  • If that's correct, he probably has sat and/or saw the inside of the car at some point.
  • He is doing us a service, but a disservice to his industry and his integrity is therefore in question.
  • Having said that, I believe he is quoting a version of the C8 and maybe, just maybe they'll release the higher line version first and keep volume super low for quality control under they get some real world owner feedback (starting with the higher version would have them dealing with those who didn't spend their last pennies on one and may be a little more understanding than 50yo joe midlife crisis bad mouth guy). Just my guess..

In the mean time, the C7 soldiers on for a few more years while the test the waters and work out the kinks of a high volume ME corvette replacement.

they can be built on the same line somehow, it has been confirmed by plenty during interviews that this is the case and is being done currently (if i recall), in a way that they can control it's exposure to prying eyes (how? who knows),

like i said in the beginning.... exciting times ahead regardless of what they do. I know one thing for sure there is NO WAY that a 65 70k Corvette C7.5/8 or whatever is not coming ME or FE... the Corvette will never become a low volume toy (again), it makes toooooo much $$$$$$$$$ on it.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 794 Likes on 307 Posts

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

TLDR: No, no, maybe, no, and hell no. 'MURICA!

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Lot's of people here are so desperate to keep the price of the Corvette down and understandably so but don't have a heart attack or start pissing on the Corvette. If one can't afford a Corvette then so be it! It's not a car to be afforded by everyone. It's a high-end toy.

Wrong, just wrong. I am by no means a Corvette expert, hell I have owned just one, but do just a barely cursory search on the Corvette history and you literally find dozens of examples of GM executives and engineers stating plainly that the Corvette is meant to be "obtainable" in a general sense for anyone who wants one. It is the literal ethos surrounding the Corvette program from the very start in 1953. To discount over 60 years of doing things this way and thinking GM will throw it all out because of some imaginary perception from a few people who have the money to buy exotics, and just want another toy to add to their garage from an American manufacturer is just silly.

And lot's of BS spewing around here like comparing a ME Corvette to a highly unrefined Viper or using words like VAT or act like they know the Chinese market, etc.
Once again, I am not sure you and I reside on the same planet if you think the Gen V Viper was anything but refined. The initial tests in 2013 of the first Gen V's showed a car that was rough around the edges concerning the car's performance, but every subsequent test of Vipers built since then have been very positive. The Viper was a true American exotic, built by hand, using exotic materials, and had a fit and finish unlike any other car made in America. As for performance, the T/A package and the subsequent T/A 2 package addressed on the edge track handling incredibly well, allowing the Viper to retake the Laguna Seca lap record for a time, then the ACR came out and blew the doors off of the competition on tracks around the world. The interior is orders of magnitude better in quality over the Corvette. The general build quality is also amazing, this car has exquisite panel gaps and the paint is smooth and clear, with no orange peel because it is wet sanded and multi coated by hand to produce a flawless paint surface. Hell Ferrari's have worse paint quality than Vipers. Add to this the GTC program they did where you could custom order a Viper however you wanted and it would be 100% unique to that buyer, locking that specific option loadout to just that car for the model year, was unheard of.

That said, I would not be too worried about GM raising the price of a base Corvette to $170K. Sure if it's a limited production car like a GT3 or even a 911TT, NSX, etc then yes but in that case I am fairly certain there will be lower priced variant or even a FE offered.
Hey here's something we can kinda agree on, but continuation of a FE platform makes no financial sense due to what I am gonna say after the next tidbit of shortsighted opinion making.

Do you think Porsche would survive if their cheapest car started out at $170K? Absolutely not! Now real exotics (which Porsche's are no where being that) like Ferrari, Lambo's, Aston's can and are surviving and thriving having cars start at these prices and higher. Porsche is just clever and produce super limited and expensive variants and that perception trickles down to their lesser priced models and then you have people that then perceive all Porsche's holier-than-thou.
First off, Porsche is a brand, like Chevrolet, they survive because of the Macan and Cayenne, not because of the 911. Ferrari survives because it has insane mark ups over the actual cost to build the cars, there was an article saying that Ferrari makes an average of $94k per car sold, that means they add almost $100k to the price of the cars because of their name, not because their cars are that much more expensive to build than everyone else. Porsche is no more clever than GM or any manufacturer for that matter, they simply have carved out a niche that they fill out to the best of their ability, cars like the 918 Spyder are engineering exercises and a way to remain relevant in talks of hypercar performance even though that is not their base customer. GM and specifically the Corvette has filled it's particular niche as well, and to abandon that is literally the exact opposite how to make money as a corporation. GM could theoretically create a new sub brand that focused on catering to exotics, but it would not be called a Corvette due to how this car already serves a purpose within the corporate structure of GM.

Sure you might think this is conjecture but anyone who has ever taken even one micro economics course (or anyone with actual sense) understands the concepts of leveraging what you already have to make a profit. Jumping into new markets is a risk that companies should take from time to time, but you don't scrap a profitable business model to do this.

If GM produced say a Z06R, ZR1-S or whatever and only produced like 250-500 units a year and sold-out everyone of them at $250K then maybe these same people would think the same about the Corvette.
The main market for the Corvette really doesn't care about the cars they can never afford, we may take digs at the exotics that get spanked on racetracks around the world by the ZR1 but that car did not sell me on my C7 Z51, what sold me was how much performance I was able to obtain for my dollar. This is how most Corvette buyers get bit by the Corvette bug. I would never spend $120k on a Corvette, ever, at that point, if I had the money I would be looking at filling my garage with older prancing horses, not because of performance, but to finally own the cars that used to adorn the posters on my childhood walls, I might even consider a '63 Stingray at that price, but I would not buy a modern Corvette for that price. I'm not saying that every buyer is like me, but I think many buyers are similar.

Last but certainly not least.

Why would anyone pay $65k for another round of C7 FE Corvettes? There is already almost an entire model years worth of stock on dealer lots of C7 Vettes that haven't sold. This isn't some made up situation, in fact releasing the C8 as exclusively mid engine would help to get that stock sold for all of the people who have been holding out to see what the C8 does. Releasing it alongside a new FE car could work, but there has been literal radio silence on anything resembling a new FE car or even a refreshed one with new body styling, we would have seen some camouflaged mules by now if something was in the pipeline, especially if there was a powertrain upgrade.

I am not attacking you personally, it's just that simple logic can poke so many holes into the "halo car" opinion that it just makes my head hurt that people actually think like this and just "believe". Sure I could be 100% wrong about what GM plans to do, but that would require a multi billion dollar corporation, it's shareholders, and its executives to basically jump the shark and run counter to an already profitable business model and philosophy in order to do so. So yeah, it is possible, but not even remotely likely if GM continues being GM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Supermassive:
Foosh (11-03-2018), rb185afm (11-03-2018), WesC7 (11-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by rcooper
....They are not going to spent 400 million bucks to kill the Corvette....

Oh, I know! They are going to kill Corvette an build a Caddy version mid engine car. Another debacle in the making.
I am going to stick with the mid 60's price point, if I am wrong it is just another disappointment in a long line of them in my life. I will survive, but Corvette won't.
GM is not planning on the Vette going away! But expect a low $80,000 price and maybe a high $60,000 at Kerbeck after the initial demand tails off!

Several years ago when an “insider” said the project was moved over to Caddy, thought that might make some sense! Introduce a high end car first with lots of noise insulation, a fancy high end seerio, (no reason to add unless the sound insulation comes first,) perhaps fancy Italian leather interior with at least Gucci logo’s (and appropriate fee paid) for the snobs that will pay the price. It could have a ‘Caddy” ride for those who never get past 0.9 “g” anyway. And Oh yes all-season tires!

There are are those who would pay $125,000 plus so they don’t see many others in town!

But that rumor didn’t last long.

We’re each entitled to an option!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-03-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more...

Once again, I am not sure you and I reside on the same planet if you think the Gen V Viper was anything but refined. The initial tests in 2013 of the first Gen V's showed a car that was rough around the edges concerning the car's performance, but every subsequent test of Vipers built since then have been very positive. The Viper was a true American exotic, built by hand, using exotic materials, and had a fit and finish unlike any other car made in America. As for performance, the T/A package and the subsequent T/A 2 package addressed on the edge track handling incredibly well, allowing the Viper to retake the Laguna Seca lap record for a time, then the ACR came out and blew the doors off of the competition on tracks around the world. The interior is orders of magnitude better in quality over the Corvette. The general build quality is also amazing, this car has exquisite panel gaps and the paint is smooth and clear, with no orange peel because it is wet sanded and multi coated by hand to produce a flawless paint surface. Hell Ferrari's have worse paint quality than Vipers. Add to this the GTC program they did where you could custom order a Viper however you wanted and it would be 100% unique to that buyer, locking that specific option loadout to just that car for the model year, was unheard of.

A true American creation owned by the Italians. So sad to see it go. A good investment now.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by FringbirdAloha

The Camaro is an engineering masterpiece but a design disaster. The cabin is cramped and you can't see out of the damn thing, and it's styling is something I would have liked when I was 13 years old. As Chevy is discovering, 13 year olds can't afford to buy Camaros.

Somebody at GM made some very stupid decisions on the Camaro and needs to be fired. The Corvette is the sports car with fewer compromises for practicality, while the Camaro should be the practical one with concessions to practical commuting. That's why the Mustang is such a hit, it's practical, a great value, and sleek and sexy with just enough aggro to keep it thrilling. Both men and women lust for Mustangs because of the great design.

Foosh (11-03-2018)

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed