Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 06:45 PM
SuperMacGuy
Navigator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think a 100k+ price is plausible. Look at this as direct competition to the Ford GT. Though the FGT is certainly more of a limited-edition type car; but GM is just following the trend. Everything is more expensive, and if wealthy folks can afford it, they will buy it. If GM sells 1/2 as many of the C8 mid engine, but make 3x the actual profit per car, the accountants will call it a win.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:32 PM
jma242
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 109 Posts

Bob Lutz said around a 5K price increase from what he had heard, and that is what has been speculated by most in the industry. I think he knows what is going on more than any of us.

170K would kill the brand. (See Dodge Viper which was still cheaper!) At that price you buy a used exotic or go full out on a new one, not a Chevy.

BTW: the car's testing/development schedule over the last 3-4 years wreaks of a normal production vehicle, not super pricey car.
The following users liked this post:
Zaro Tundov (11-08-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:40 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by jma242
Bob Lutz said around a 5K price increase from what he had heard, and that is what has been speculated by most in the industry. I think he knows what is going on more than any of us.

170K would kill the brand. (See Dodge Viper which was still cheaper!) At that price you buy a used exotic or go full out on a new one, not a Chevy.

BTW: the car's testing/development schedule over the last 3-4 years wreaks of a normal production vehicle, not super pricey car.
Logical thinking and common sense is not welcome in this thread sir....
You responded to the wrong thread...this baby is about complete out of the box thinking,impossible Hail Mary passes and heck...we’ve even made the world flat again.
The following 2 users liked this post by pietro c7:
fasttoys (11-09-2018), Grzldvt1 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:59 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Traditional Corvette buyers will have a refreshed Stingray with new front and rear fascias, new interior, upgraded powertrain and many options made standard at the same price.
so you think they will be manufacturing and selling C7's along side a C8.....hmmmmm, interesting, it will be the first time in Corvette history that this has ever happened.

Why doesn't GM just make it simple, cut the Stingray and Z06 and just sell the supercar beater ZR1, that would make a lot of sense now wouldn't it? But wait, maybe GM knows that just selling a 120k+ car just doesn't work no matter how good of a performance bargain it may be when compared to supercars so now you people are trying to say that 169k car for some reason makes even more sense.

Last edited by themonk; 11-07-2018 at 09:08 PM.
drs (11-12-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:10 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
so you think they will be manufacturing and selling C7's along side a C8.....hmmmmm, interesting, it will be the first time in Corvette history that this has ever happened.
There's a first time for everything. Just because something has never been done before doesn't mean it can't be done.

Corvette needs to expand its clientele from North American senior citizens to Europeans, Chinese and Asians where the growth of the sports car market is centered. The Stingray can't be all things to all people, so Zora will be the flagship to conquer the world.​​​​​​

ZR1 has more motor than it can handle. Zora will be faster and handle better.

Last edited by PCMIII; 11-07-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk

Why doesn't GM just make it simple, cut the Stingray and Z06 and just sell the supercar beater ZR1, that would make a lot of sense now wouldn't it? But wait, maybe GM knows that just selling a 120k+ car just doesn't work no matter how good of a performance bargain it may be when compared to supercars so now you people are trying to say that 169k car for some reason makes even more sense.
Yeah, there's no way they sell 2 generations at the same time. That would be a big marketing problem. It would be like saying, "Here, we have just made the most sophisticated Corvette ever, the one we've been dreaming about for 60 years! But, just in case you don't like it, we're gonna keep building the old one." No way they're going to do that.

The only way they produce 2 different Corvettes is if the mid engine is a separate entity, as in it's the first gen of the mid engine, and the then produce the "C8" later in the traditional FE format. If they do this, then yes, the mid engine car could be the "attainable" answer to the Ford GT, or other exotics, and realistically could be priced at $170K, if that's the case. But I agree with others that if the mules we've seen are it, this won't be the case.

But the real truth here is that any of it is anyone's guess.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:16 PM
Nadovedan
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperMacGuy
I think a 100k+ price is plausible. Look at this as direct competition to the Ford GT. Though the FGT is certainly more of a limited-edition type car; but GM is just following the trend. Everything is more expensive, and if wealthy folks can afford it, they will buy it. If GM sells 1/2 as many of the C8 mid engine, but make 3x the actual profit per car, the accountants will call it a win.
the zr1 already competes with Ford GT. So, while I think there will be a variant that will get into 170k, it won’t be the base. I think people forget that the c7 was going midengine until the recession hit. Nevertheless, what I’ve heard is there will be a few variants of the c8. This is not going to be a one off halo. They trademark a lot of names, just like domains. They may or may not use them. Same thing with patents and tech.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:12 AM
yozi
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Confirmed? BS

corvette brand will not start at 150k ish… I'm concerned that the design for a base car will be sub par, but if it hits the mark in power and design, this multiple corvette owner from many C2's, some early C3's , 4,s and many C7's will be in at 150k for the right car! It will have to be incredible and rival many other cars including a GT3 911 a friend of mine just bought, and others I've owned, including GT Fords (05,06) Lambo , Turbo Porsche, 03 GT3, etc ….I have a 18 ZL1 ILE Camaro that is superb on the track and I paid 59k for it with 1500 miles...anyway lets see, but the car will have to be cutting edge at the a fair price to sell the volume they need to make up for 300k or so buyers annually. My humble car guy opinion,
Old 11-08-2018, 05:55 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
The Walmart shoppers are hoping for a 65k FE and the realists know the truth!
let me see you peel sixtyfive grand out of your wallet.

people on forums talk such crap.

65 grand is not chump change. I dont care if you have six million bucks in assets and no debt....sixty five grand as a starting point for a sports car is a hefty chunk of change.

options and model line variations will go north of 140 grand and possbily stretch to 160 grand...

anybody who says sixty five grand base msrp is wallmart shopper pricing never worked for their money ...and is just trolling.

manufacturers never successfully abandon thier core customer base values with regards to pricing.

manufacturers definitely try and lead their customers in pricing but rarely more than five grand to start...

options and elevated variations yes...the sky is the limit...

but no manufacturer in their right mind abandons their core customer base ..

hard working americans ..people with core american values even many of us who can afford almost anything we want just dont see the balance of value in 160 thosand dollar automobiles.

even if the car blew its owner nightly most americans who could easily afford 169 thousand dollar cars are never going to spend that much on a car...

at the end of the day most corvette owners still see cars as something that takes us from point A to point B...

all kidding aside...five grand will be the price creep on the c8...although anything that is an option on the c7 that becomes standard on the c8 could allow for some extra base price creep upward..

ie...Z51 HD cooling and suspension, MRC, NPP etc..if they become standard features for the c8 then yes expect thise items to be integrated into the base msrp in addition to a five grand bump.

I believe April will be the pricing release..

gm can move the price up annually which i fully exoect them to do...much like gm did with the c4 model life cycle lineup...the annual price escalation of the c4 was dramatic (but inflation was rampant if i remember correctly during that period) will in my opinion be repeated in the c8. It could be a leading indicator.

but gm can never move the official msrp downward once the model releases...

its very hard for them to do outside of incentives...

most of the R and D was cast off with old GM before the c7 actually launched.

cadillacs funded a great portion of the c8 as well....

hell the c8 theoretically (sp) could launch at a lower price than the c7 but that ll never happen.

five grand more plus whatever c7 options become standard...as a starting point...

yes twin turbo 800 hp monsters will price up around 160 grand...loaded...but we will not see that as GM s basic core customer...

As great as the c8 we are seeing so far...anyone with Any automotive knowledge can tell the car running around the racetracks and the country is not a 160 thousand dollar vehicle...

if it had german plates on it...sure german car buyers are always getting ripped off...its their badge of honor...but for americans? No way Josay...

that model we are seeing lapping the “Ring” give or take a few grand thats close to stingray pricing without question...

you can tell from the tire size and stance...its a stingray replacement with ***** to the wall crazy hp versions coming later on...

gm s marketing plan flat out is profitable.,,

very few automotive executives mess with decades worth of a proven successful marketing and sales formula...

nobody would risk their career on altering that pattern of past success...

Last edited by JerriVette; 11-08-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

JerriVette. Are you a Walmart Shopper?
Old 11-08-2018, 06:29 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
JerriVette. Are you a Walmart Shopper?
actually no..but i laugh at people who think 65grand as chump change who end up not having to nickels to rub together,
Old 11-08-2018, 07:52 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by JerriVette

actually no..but i laugh at people who think 65grand as chump change who end up not having to nickels to rub together,
Some folks here think Corvette is all about being a halo car. That's 100% incorrect. They forget that Corvette was saved because the Consultants stepped in and told GM to continue to market one of their few profitable products. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY. In order to survive Corvette must continue to sell enough units to make a profit. As Jerri pointed out, $65K is not chump. Even if the ME car begins at $65K, that's $9K more than the base C7. Anyone looking at the sales numbers realizes that a bump to $65K could cost GM about 10% to 20% of their Corvette production.
It's easy to throw out click bate numbers on the internet, but not so easy to sit at a board meeting and talk about changing a successful paradigm for glitz and glamour. Anyone who has participated in a successful board of directors meeting knows the focus of the conversation is all about the money and how the unit will add to the bottom line and continue to justify the boards salaries. The idea that the base Corvette in 2020 will begin anywhere near $100K, no, make that $90K is absurd. As I've said before, the ME may come in at a high price tag if and only if, the FE soldiers on to keep those who won't spend that high money on Corvette in the family.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:46 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Let me tell it to you something. The C8 is going to set a very high standard in the industry. It will cost a whole lot less to produce than the C7. It will be lighter with a stiffer chassis. Expect A $60g to $170 G price range after 2 years of production at today's $s. By that time, the C8 will get boring, like Bob Lutz suggests in his interview with Autoline.
Enter the FE C9. It will use the same materials and construction methods and will be even cheaper than the C8 when they build them side by side.
How do I know? Well, I'm a chassis guy. I use mild steel only because it's cheap light and strong. I keep abreast of the latest chassis developments in production and race cars.I am building a Vette now which will be my last sports car. It looks a bit like Mitchell's 59 Stingray. Chassis is tuned for cruising for an old fart.
I don't have inside information, but I have become aware of GMs patent filings and SAE papers, cooperation with other car and component companies, engineers attending courses at the top engineering schools researching mostly materials science and modern manufacturing methods.
What you call the C9 I've been calling the FE C8 or just C8, while calling this Mid-Engine the ZERV (or ME C8). This is why I said the C7 will run side by side for 2-3 years with the ME. This other car is coming, and it's the True Corvette successor. The Mid-Engine is a fun toy that Tadge wants to build because every Corvette Chief Engineer has wanted to build one since the beginning of time. To me replacing the current car with an ME is as insulting to the brand as replacing the Mustang with a Probe or the Camaro with a Beretta or Monte Carlo (as it was in 2002...)

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 11-08-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Can't type or...
skank (11-08-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:39 AM
The HACK
Burning Brakes

Received 686 Likes on 338 Posts

This whole thread is so asinine that it's gotten picked up by fringe automotive journalists. Sad.

I'm certain Chevy has studied Porsche sales numbers intensely. You want to see how many Porsche 911s were sold in 2017 in the United States?

That's right. Wanna know how many Corvettes were sold in the United States?

Chevrolet sells more C7 Corvettes on a down year in a single quarter than Porsche sells 911s in a year. Wanna bet that GT3 and GT2 RSes, which would cost in line with the $170K price tag suggested here, sells in triple digit numbers?

You really sure that the $170K price tag is the STARTING point for a base C8? That the Bowling Green plant is expanded to build one car every 3 days?

Economy of scale simply dictates that the base C8 CAN NOT be made and sold for $170K. Simple logic would dictate that. Heck a base price anywhere near $80K would mean that they'd have to lay off 1/2 of the workforce and shutter the majority of the newly renovated plant, because Porsche is selling just shy of 9,000 units per year of the vaunted 911 ($91K to start), and 5,000 units per year of the much cheaper Boxster/Cayman ($56K to start).
The following 3 users liked this post by The HACK:
ArmchairArchitect (11-08-2018), Foosh (11-08-2018), JerriVette (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:44 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
To me replacing the current car with an ME is as insulting to the brand as replacing the Mustang with a Probe or the Camaro with a Beretta or Monte Carlo (as it was in 2002...)
Bad analogy...those examples are downgrades of the existing car. The ME chassis is an upgrade to the current Corvette and the Corvette name will remain. Just like when Corvettes starting having a transaxle-based chassis for better weight distribution and other major chassis redesigns from generation to generation(obviously ME being the most major).

Sorry, but you must be a serious Luddite if improving a car is "insulting" to you.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 11-08-2018 at 10:46 AM.
JerriVette (11-09-2018)
Old 11-08-2018, 10:45 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by The HACK
This whole thread is so asinine that it's gotten picked up by fringe automotive journalists. Sad.

I'm certain Chevy has studied Porsche sales numbers intensely. You want to see how many Porsche 911s were sold in 2017 in the United States?

Chevrolet sells more C7 Corvettes on a down year in a single quarter than Porsche sells 911s in a year. Wanna bet that GT3 and GT2 RSes, which would cost in line with the $170K price tag suggested here, sells in triple digit numbers?

You really sure that the $170K price tag is the STARTING point for a base C8? That the Bowling Green plant is expanded to build one car every 3 days?

Economy of scale simply dictates that the base C8 CAN NOT be made and sold for $170K. Simple logic would dictate that. Heck a base price anywhere near $80K would mean that they'd have to lay off 1/2 of the workforce and shutter the majority of the newly renovated plant, because Porsche is selling just shy of 9,000 units per year of the vaunted 911 ($91K to start), and 5,000 units per year of the much cheaper Boxster/Cayman ($56K to start).
A lot of us have laid out the exact impeccable logic you do above. However, the "6-Figure Club" believes that it is a sound fiscal decision to produce a high-dollar, low-demand, ME uber car and then continue to build an aging design w/ declining sales. Another option is to immediately start work on an entirely new FE design, which is an appealing possibility, but it would be incredibly costly.

I think that would also be a fiscal disaster, and GM is not known as a risk-taker. The only thing that seems likely here is an ME in a wide-range of price brackets, a la 911.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-08-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:52 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

I'm certain Chevy has studied Porsche sales numbers intensely. You want to see how many Porsche 911s were sold in 2017 in the United States? 8,970.

There's your problem, right there.

The Zora ME is not focused on just the U.S. market.

The whole point of building the Zora is to have a flagship car that GM can sell around the world to demonstrate its superiority on the track and road. If Zora sells 5,000 units at $160K, GM will be happy because Corvette will also be selling the Stingray in much higher volumes at lower price points. GM may also produce a Cadillac version of the Zora which will sell another 5,000 units around the world.

Apparently, this business plan is beyond the comprehension of most people here, but GM obviously sees the necessity of expanding the market for its cars to China and the rest of Asia.
skank (11-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 11-08-2018, 10:55 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Bad analogy...those examples are downgrades of the existing car. The ME chassis is an upgrade to the current Corvette and the Corvette name will remain. Just like when Corvettes starting having a transaxle-based chassis for better weight distribution and other major chassis redesigns from generation to generation(obviously ME being the most major).

Sorry, but you must be a serious Luddite if improving a car is "insulting" to you.
From a usability standpoint it's most certainly a downgrade. I know most people only care about performance numbers that they probably will never use. Because cars in this space are more like extensions of ones ego (or genitalia). But to me if it doesn't work as a car, you know with a trunk and space to go places in, then its not useful and its just a toy. I don't have money to buy toys, I'm not that rich, I need this to be a car. I feel Corvette as a brand has always stressed practicality, to throw that core tenet out the window is insulting.

The fact you missed this and called me a Luddite says more about you than it does about me.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

If there is no room for several different models, then why does Porsche make both the 911 and the Boxster/Cayman, which are two different platforms?

You mention Porsche 911 sale in the USA, but Porsche is a worldwide seller of sports cars,

In the first 6 months of 2018, Porsche sold 21,400 911's worldwide(plus the Boxster and the Cayman models)

The Corvette has sold worldwide ~12,500 in the first 6 months of 2018(12,053 in the US and Canada)

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-08-2018 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:14 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
What you call the C9 I've been calling the FE C8 or just C8, while calling this Mid-Engine the ZERV (or ME C8). This is why I said the C7 will run side by side for 2-3 years with the ME. This other car is coming, and it's the True Corvette successor. The Mid-Engine is a fun toy that Tadge wants to build because every Corvette Chief Engineer has wanted to build one since the beginning of time. To me replacing the current car with an ME is as insulting to the brand as replacing the Mustang with a Probe or the Camaro with a Beretta or Monte Carlo (as it was in 2002...)
One of the most intelligent things said in this thread. People who think that a C7 with "minor updates" will be produced along side a C8 are delusional, how in the hell do you think GM is going to market a 6 year old car all the while pumping the tires of it's all new mid engine Corvette? The ME whatever you call it is going to be a stand alone model sold under a Cadillac or Chevy banner, it will not be a C8, the C8 will be the successor to the C7, not a 169k exotic. I wouldn't be surprised if GM called it the Cadillac Cien:

Last edited by themonk; 11-08-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed