Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Old 12-12-2018, 12:44 AM
IronV
Burning Brakes

Received 495 Likes on 260 Posts
Default GM Bailout

Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh
$170k for a car with WalMart level of customer service GM must be joking......

Hopefully when they go bankrupt next time the U.S. taxpayers won't have to bail them out
The taxpayers indeed bailed them out. And saved not just them but the entire chain of suppliers and vendors. Hundreds of thousands of jobs. Not to mention customers. GM paid back approximately 70% of that investment and of course, we've recouped far, far more of that in taxes.

No. I don't wish U.S. companies to go bankrupt. Very bad.
The following users liked this post:
PCMIII (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:57 AM
fasttoys
Melting Slicks

Received 1,260 Likes on 558 Posts

ROAD & Track December issue.

DEAR BOB,

I’VE BEEN HEARING RUMORS FOR DECADES THAT CHEVROLET IS CONSIDERING A MID-ENGINE CORVETTE. MY QUESTION IS WHY, WHEN THE CURRENT CORVETTE IS SO GOOD AND A PERFORMANCE BARGAIN TO BOOT?

JOHN R. LLOYD III, DERRY, NEW HAMPSHIRE

Lutz
The why is complex: It has long been the ambition of the Corvette guys to beat the world’s best, regardless of price or national origin. The ZR1 is very close, but a mid-engine configuration is needed. Chevrolet is keenly aware of its desired price range. I expect the goal is to sell the C8, version for version, at a little more than the C7. The superfast variants will come out two to three years later and cost more than $100,000, just like today’s phenomenal ZR1. The goal, as always with Corvette, is to equal or beat exotics costing many times more. It will be the best value on the planet.

Last edited by fasttoys; 12-12-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Larshelt (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 03:03 AM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by skank
No, they actually took them back and swapped out every engine with that condition. They gave loaners but still, it was a PR disaster. And now they have taken that massive thread off their forum. GONE GONE GONE
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...gine-warranty/
Again, not possible. ‘Took’ is the wrong word. The would have no ability and no legal right to take them without permission.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 856 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by fasttoys
<div style="text-align:left;"><strong>ROAD &amp; Track December issue.<br /><br />DEAR BOB,</strong><br /><br /><strong>I’VE BEEN HEARING RUMORS FOR DECADES THAT CHEVROLET IS CONSIDERING A MID-ENGINE CORVETTE. MY QUESTION IS WHY, WHEN THE CURRENT CORVETTE IS SO GOOD AND A PERFORMANCE BARGAIN TO BOOT?</strong><br /><br />JOHN R. LLOYD III, DERRY, NEW HAMPSHIRE<br /><br />Lutz: It has long been the ambition of the Corvette guys to beat the world’s best, regardless of price or national origin. I expect the goal is to sell the C8, version for version, at a little more than the C7. The goal, as always with Corvette, is to equal or beat exotics costing many times more.<br /><br /></div>
So Corvette is going to beat the world's best MEs, regardless of price, and sell the car for little more than the C7? So $120K tops for a Corvette that can beat anything on the market. First question: why would GM leave all that money on the table? If you are going to beat Bugatti, why charge less than a Honda/Acura? Second question: how does GM build this world beating car when it has no technology advantage or any other advantage over BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, VW, Toyota or even Ford?

Last edited by PCMIII; 12-12-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:25 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I suspect there will be some new log-in names and avatars.
Yes, indeed once official GM info starts flowing, accompanied by the reveal, I think some rather prominent screen names will completely disappear.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:34 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime

Again, not possible. ‘Took’ is the wrong word. The would have no ability and no legal right to take them without permission.
There were many cars that landed in dealerships to a waiting customer and immediately were impounded within the dealership. Buyers were up in arms over that. I read that huge thread and remember many GT3 owners having their new car taken away on a flatbed. It was a forced warranty issue and not voluntary by the owners. That was the accepted resolution by Porsche to the Owner Group headed up by a group of owners organized through the Rennlist Forum crowd.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:56 AM
JGarland
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

I paid $75k for my current GS fully loaded.

And now they want $170k for a base model?

Guess this is my last Corvette.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:22 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

There were many cars that landed in dealerships to a waiting customer and immediately were impounded within the dealership. Buyers were up in arms over that. I read that huge thread and remember many GT3 owners having their new car taken away on a flatbed. It was a forced warranty issue and not voluntary by the owners. That was the accepted resolution by Porsche to the Owner Group headed up by a group of owners organized through the Rennlist Forum crowd.
If the car was ordered but not delivered, that is still the dealership's car and subject to doing whatever they want with it. If the car has arrived at the dealership and been signed over, that is the new owner's car, and nothing can be done to it without permission. There is no such thing as a forced warranty issue.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:24 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by JGarland

Old 12-12-2018, 12:26 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
If the car was ordered but not delivered, that is still the dealership's car and subject to doing whatever they want with it. If the car has arrived at the dealership and been signed over, that is the new owner's car, and nothing can be done to it without permission. There is no such thing as a forced warranty issue.
Why don't you just go and read up on it for yourself. There's plenty of articles written about it and you can save your own breath on this issue. I read that massive thread! Did You?
Old 12-12-2018, 12:39 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

The FE will be priced in the $60K range so no worries. That is a very strong segment that Corvette won't abandon and 7 of the 8 the competitors there are all FE.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Why don't you just go and read up on it for yourself. There's plenty of articles written about it and you can save your own breath on this issue. I read that massive thread! Did You?
No, and I'm not inclined to. Just commenting on what is legally possible v. not.

UPDATE:
Looked up the recall, and from what I see it is just that, a recall. No one's car was taken against their will.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 12-12-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:41 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,598 Likes on 6,612 Posts

Don't worry, GM needs your $$ (and others like you!)

The OP has backed down to $105,000.

Even that is BS, IMO.

The base C8 will cost ~$70,000.

The Grand Sport ~$80,000.

But like today, Kerbeck will have their normal 12/15% discounts after the initial sales surge is over!

Heck I paid well under $70,000 for my Grand Sport with the $2995 Stage 2 Aero Option, Machine Faced Aluminum Wheels and other options! I'll buy at Kerbeck again as I have other Vettes. I have found a small Chevy Dealer 30 miles away who accepts Courtesy Deliver for a flat $250!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-12-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:43 PM
Randy Miller
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
First question: why would GM leave all that money on the table? If you are going to beat Bugatti, why charge less than a Honda/Acura?
You could ask that same question about the current Corvette. The answer is pretty simple, they want to sell them in bulk and make money that way. They could price the Corvette much higher and make more profit per car, but then they would sell less cars and all of that R&D and everything would be split among fewer cars and they may actually end up making less profit that way. If you can make $10k profit per car on 12 cars or $100k profit on one car then you make more profit on selling 12 cars at the lower price. Also, the car may beat a Bugatti, but it won't have the interior or refinement of a Bugatti, so people won't pay Bugatti prices for it.

Last edited by Randy Miller; 12-12-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:48 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Randy Miller
You could ask that same question about the current Corvette. The answer is pretty simple, they want to sell them in bulk and make money that way. They could price the Corvette much higher and make more profit per car, but then they would sell less cars and all of that R&D and everything would be split among fewer cars and they may actually end up making less profit that way. If you can make $10k profit per car on 12 cars or $100k profit on one car then you make more profit on selling 12 cars at the lower price.
The Bugatti Chiron is $3 million. That is a lot of money to leave on the table!
Old 12-12-2018, 12:50 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Just commenting on what is legally possible
is it legally possible for banks to screw people ? they do it anyway. I mean look at Wells Fargo I mean my god what they have been doing is beyond ridiculous. Yet they did it, and no one is in jail. So in the US, what is legal is not so cut and dry.

Last edited by tcweidner; 12-12-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Originally Posted by tcweidner
is it legally possible for banks to screw people ? they do it anyway. I mean look at Wells Fargo I mean my god what they have been doing is beyond ridiculous. Yet they did it, and no one is in jail. So in the US, what is legal is not so cut and dry.
No comment on the above, but recalls aren't forced on people. They are optional. If those Porsche owners wanted to keep the bad engines, they would be able to and Porsche couldn't stop them.

Last edited by Atari_Prime; 12-12-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 12-12-2018, 01:16 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

So Corvette is going to beat the world's best MEs, regardless of price, and sell the car for little more than the C7? So $120K tops for a Corvette that can beat anything on the market. First question: why would GM leave all that money on the table? If you are going to beat Bugatti, why charge less than a Honda/Acura? Second question: how does GM build this world beating car when it has no technology advantage or any other advantage over BMW, Mercedes, Ferrari, VW, Toyota or even Ford?
define "beat", the ZR1 is the second fastest production car around VIR beating the likes of the 918, 488, Aventador, etc all for what 140k?

Last edited by themonk; 12-12-2018 at 01:20 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (12-12-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 01:23 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by themonk
define "beat", the ZR1 is the second fastest production car around the Nurburgring beating the likes of the 918, Chiron, 488, Aventador, etc all for what 140k?
This is the quote from Lutz: "It has long been the ambition of the Corvette guys to beat the world’s best, regardless of price or national origin."
The ZR1's lap time of 7:12 is 9th fastest, just ahead of Z06.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:29 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

The Bugatti Chiron is $3 million. That is a lot of money to leave on the table!
Aren’t you worried that someone might multiply that $3 million Bugatti number and multiply it by the number of units sold?
And then watch that same number get dwarfed when the same calculation is done by multiplying the number of C7’s to the average cost.
Want to give it a try?

“to turn the other cheek”is only an expression ...You shouldn’t to it daily .
What tremendous resiliance you have...How many blows can you take?

Last edited by pietro c7; 12-12-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed