Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$169,900, final price confirmed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 08:30 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

I have no particular axe to grind, I hope GM sells a lot of Camaros. I hope the buyers love the car. You seriously couldn't GIVE me one. The biggest reasons I love Corvettes are the interior/exterior styling and the tradition and history, the Corvette's place in American culture and history. If GM makes os that my net Corvette cost goes over say $80K (tops), I may well be out. Maybe I'll buy a used Cayman. Maybe I'll shrug, give up on the fancy sports car thing. I'll get over it.

But that's not what GM has ever been about with the Corvette for over 60 years. Changing that approach makes no sense for so many reason it's incomprehensible to me. That would be like electing an egomaniacal blowhard utterly bereft of ethics who is in bed with the Russkies to be President of the United States.

UNpossible.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:10 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

If the 7th gen Camaro is totally redesigned to be a more aggro version of the Buick Avista on the Alpha II platform, do you guys think it could replace the base FE Corvette for some enthusiasts? Just wondering, since this is one of my favorite designs out of the GM design studio. Ed Welburn's last baby:

Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
If the 7th gen Camaro is totally redesigned to be a more aggro version of the Buick Avista on the Alpha II platform, do you guys think it could replace the base FE Corvette for some enthusiasts? Just wondering, since this is one of my favorite designs out of the GM design studio. Ed Welburn's last baby:
I mean, I think the current Camaro could replace the Corvette for SOME enthusiasts. I just don't think the bulk of people who buy Corvettes have any interest in cross shopping it with a Camaro, regardless of price or options. They are different classes of cars, as @Supermassive indicated with his own purchasing experience, related only by manufacturer, price, and the same engine stuffed int them. I also don't think if the base Corvette went to, say, $100k that those folks would run out to buy a $70k top of the line Camaro in its place. The $70k Camaro would be a limited production halo car for the Camaro enthusiasts, not a stand in replacement for the Corvette enthusiasts.

Maybe the real question for anyone who knows: how many people cross shopped the CTS-V and the Corvette? To me, those are a bit more analogous than the Camaro and Corvette, but I'm still not sure they really ever stole sales from one another either.
The following users liked this post:
DaveFerrari458 (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 01:22 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 338 Posts

Wow, 94 pages of speculation.
Here’s a thought, likely contained somewhere in the 94 pages.
Expecting that the C7 draws to a close as the C8 hits market, Chevy reverses traditional roll out practices - introduce base model with graduated intro of higher performing models over subsequent period - by bringing a higher performing C8 model to market first.
Speculation has the C7 ZR1 ending production before other more affordable C7 models.
The C8 intro model would be at a price point bridging the C7 Z06 - ZR1 models. This would leave dealer inventories of more affordable C7 Corvettes appealing from a price perspective in hopes of moving inventories of C7’s before the introduction of a more affordable/base C8.
We know GM needs to make money so this strategy for C8 intro/C7 closure might help to reduce GM’s need to apply large rebates/stackable low finance options to move C7’s.
just a thought...
Old 01-13-2019, 01:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

That sounds like a sure-fire prescription for dramatically reduced Corvette sales.

Only about 1300 ZR1s have been produced and sold thus far, and it's on a pace to sell just over 2K during the '19 run. That speaks to the size of the market for $130K sports cars in the US.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
joetigger66 (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Originally Posted by Foosh
That sounds like a sure-fire prescription for dramatically reduced Corvette sales.

Only about 1300 ZR1s have been produced and sold thus far, and it's on a pace to sell just over 2K during the '19 run. That speaks to the size of the market for $130K sports cars in the US.
Agreed. With this approach, C8 sales would be lower initially to better support C7 sales.

It will be an interesting transition.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:19 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Foosh
And recall that MY19 isn't a traditional MY. It technically started in December of 2017.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:20 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Camaro competes with Mustang and Charger and can’t see that changing. Corvette C1-C7 have always been 2 seat sport car and “in my opinion” will likely carry on with FE being produced along with new ME that will be sold at higher price point. C7 in my opinion is best looking Corvette to date and “could” continue to evolve and improve similar to P 911’s have over the years likely as C8. ME layout needed to penetrate the performance ceiling and along with that the cost of other technology not yet mass produced by GM or suppliers. I’ve not posted lately and captured tidbits of ME headlines and information via Google news feed but anything noteworthy I visited CF and ME Forum for additional information. One thing time has shown is that we all have opinions and many important facts have yet to be determined....name, engine options and price as the most highly debated. That’s just my $0.02 that hasn’t changed over time and now I’ll sit back, chill and occasionally visit when noteworthy information hits (interior pics most recently). If I’m wrong no big deal, it’s only “my opinion about a car” and nothing to get emotionally charged over.
Red67John (01-14-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 02:37 PM
Vernon
Drifting

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Camaro competes with Mustang and Charger and can’t see that changing. Corvette C1-C7 have always been 2 seat sport car and “in my opinion” will likely carry on with FE being produced along with new ME that will be sold at higher price point. C7 in my opinion is best looking Corvette to date and “could” continue to evolve and improve similar to P 911’s have over the years likely as C8. ME layout needed to penetrate the performance ceiling and along with that the cost of other technology not yet mass produced by GM or suppliers. I’ve not posted lately and captured tidbits of ME headlines and information via Google news feed but anything noteworthy I visited CF and ME Forum for additional information. One thing time has shown is that we all have opinions and many important facts have yet to be determined....name, engine options and price as the most highly debated. That’s just my $0.02 that hasn’t changed over time and now I’ll sit back, chill and occasionally visit when noteworthy information hits (interior pics most recently). If I’m wrong no big deal, it’s only “my opinion about a car” and nothing to get emotionally charged over.
Agreed 100 percent on another's response/opinion that might “raise a brow”.
I typically ignore those more coarse/inappropriate responses.
I only have control over my own responses and tend to ignore posts that, in my opinion, are coarse/disrespectful.

Last edited by Vernon; 01-13-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 02:50 PM
WBT
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Todays Chicago Tribune said the the estimated price for the C8 Corvette will be $70,000.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:13 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Mark Reuss in an interview and speaking about the C7 ZR1 and Corvette after the C7:

Reuss: "The ZR1 is the fastest Corvette ever. Its capability is huge, and its dollar value is great. I don't see that going away for Corvette, ever."

Interviewer: Does that mean that the Corvette's front-engine formula won't go away?

Reuss: "No," he responded. "[I'm referring to] that value and accessibility of things that otherwise are reserved for upper exotic cars -- that formula of value-to-capability, to play in places where only some hyper-expensive cars can play. That formula for Corvette has to remain intact, and it will."

Corvette Magazine, March 2019.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Supermassive
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Mark Reuss in an interview and speaking about the C7 ZR1 and Corvette after the C7:

Reuss: "The ZR1 is the fastest Corvette ever. Its capability is huge, and its dollar value is great. I don't see that going away for Corvette, ever."

Interviewer: Does that mean that the Corvette's front-engine formula won't go away?

Reuss: "No," he responded. "[I'm referring to] that value and accessibility of things that otherwise are reserved for upper exotic cars -- that formula of value-to-capability, to play in places where only some hyper-expensive cars can play. That formula for Corvette has to remain intact, and it will."

Corvette Magazine, March 2019.
Umm March 2019?...Are you a time traveller?!?
I'm assuming 2018. I've been saying that GM isn't about to change the special sauce that makes the Corvette profitable.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:18 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,444 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermassive
Umm March 2019?...Are you a time traveller?!?
I'm assuming 2018. I've been saying that GM isn't about to change the special sauce that makes the Corvette profitable.
It's a magazine. I know some folks haven't actually read those in a while, but yes, March 2019. Dated like most car magazines are, well out from current date.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:21 PM
jefnvk
Melting Slicks

Received 1,022 Likes on 637 Posts

Interesting, if folks want to read into every last subtlety that's ever offered. At the 1:50 mark, Corvette Racing crew chief Dan Binks won't deny that if race fans love hearing the Corvette with a V8, they may want to make plans to attend this years Daytona race instead of next year...
Shaka (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:18 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
I have no particular axe to grind, I hope GM sells a lot of Camaros. I hope the buyers love the car. You seriously couldn't GIVE me one. The biggest reasons I love Corvettes are the interior/exterior styling and the tradition and history, the Corvette's place in American culture and history. If GM makes os that my net Corvette cost goes over say $80K (tops), I may well be out. Maybe I'll buy a used Cayman. Maybe I'll shrug, give up on the fancy sports car thing. I'll get over it.

But that's not what GM has ever been about with the Corvette for over 60 years. Changing that approach makes no sense for so many reason it's incomprehensible to me. That would be like electing an egomaniacal blowhard utterly bereft of ethics who is in bed with the Russkies to be President of the United States.

UNpossible.
Too bad you feel that way about the new Camaro. I had a similar feeling until I purchased my new SS. The new Camaro is a TOTALLY different car. May sound crazy but at times I’d rather drive the SS than my Z07 vert and that is saying a lot. My ZL1 Camaro was a very nice vehicle but (flame suit on) I like this new SS better. It just drives sooo nice and is solid as hell. I was really amazed at the difference. But, to each their own.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:25 PM
K-TownMike
Melting Slicks

Received 731 Likes on 311 Posts

The Camaro program should stop whatever the hell they are doing, and fit this as the new Camaro. That's an incredibly hot car right there.
ByByBMW (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:12 PM
RedDropTop
Instructor

Received 85 Likes on 41 Posts

I have not seen that before. I like it!
Is it the same as the new design that Caddy patented?

Last edited by RedDropTop; 01-13-2019 at 11:20 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To $169,900, final price confirmed

Old 01-13-2019, 11:19 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

I prefer the ferrari portofino hardtop for the 7 th gen and since its a 2 plus 2 ...it could easily be done...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ferr...EEjwf-EKwNKBM:

im not sure the avista goes far enough to totally outclass the mustang and challenger into total has beens even at a their lower transaction pricing,,,

gm wants to hold the line on procing that requires a total blowout for the 7 th gen camaro to ferrari portofino styling...(details not withstanding...) same for ditching the retractable hardtop nonsense)

build this where? Bowling green?

Last edited by JerriVette; 01-13-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:55 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

Nice looking sports coupe, but it is not a pony car.

Last edited by Tom73; 01-13-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:05 AM
TurboJunky
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

At 169k, im hoping this car is faster than the current ZR1. It has to be or why would someone buy it over a "cheaper" ZR1???

Dodge dropped the Demon last year to basically bring out a new drive train for the Hellcats. They also dropped the SRT8 first when they brought the Challenger to market back in 07/08.

I think GM wants to make a statement. Pretty hard to do it with a base car, especially if its slower than the current ZR1. I think this car will blow away all of our expectations and we won't be arguing that price is stupid, but that maybe its "too cheap"
Thats my guess at least

Quick Reply: $169,900, final price confirmed