Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Historic Price Increases from one generation to another

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 03:33 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

[QUOTE=Atari_Prime;1598308225]The numbers in the original post are a bit misleading. Here they are with a few numbers added and the 'real' values when adjusted for inflation:

How are they misleading? I am showing the actual dollar amount increase from the previous generation to the next using the same model Corvette. If you look at the beginning price of a generation to the end of the same generation you can see the inflation.

Old 11-09-2018, 04:39 PM
Atari_Prime
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 315 Posts

[QUOTE=Supersonic 427;1598308840]
Originally Posted by Atari_Prime
The numbers in the original post are a bit misleading. Here they are with a few numbers added and the 'real' values when adjusted for inflation:

How are they misleading? I am showing the actual dollar amount increase from the previous generation to the next using the same model Corvette. If you look at the beginning price of a generation to the end of the same generation you can see the inflation.
Your prices only show inflation correctly if you assume that the price of a Corvette has been consistent from inception until now. The inflation numbers show that is not true.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:29 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

[QUOTE=Supersonic 427;1598308840]
The numbers in the original post are a bit misleading. Here they are with a few numbers added and the 'real' values when adjusted for inflation:

Price increase from beginning to end of production is only partially because of inflation. The other remaining reasons are features, safety and updates done while in production. Adjusting initial and final prices for inflation allows you to see with today's worth what 21k got you in 84 for example. But average weighted wages from then to now have shifted significantly. The buying group class range shifter up a few percentage points over the years. Not too much but it was a bit easier to stretch the budget 30 something years ago.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Why doesn't it make sense? All we have here is a blanket statement.
Inflation has no bearing on what we were looking, which was the increase from previous generation price to the new generation. As I said, you can easily determine the increase in percentage to the then current price.
Looking at prices for a 62 vs. 63 models the price went down $1 in 63. You're showing a 1% decrease on the adjusted for inflation prices. The price went down $1 which is not even close to being 1% of the base price of $4,038. You tell me how that makes sense. How does mixing Callaway and ZR1 prices with coupes/convertibles are relevant?
Old 11-09-2018, 06:51 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by range96
Inflation has no bearing on what we were looking, which was the increase from previous generation price to the new generation. As I said, you can easily determine the increase in percentage to the then current price.
Looking at prices for a 62 vs. 63 models the price went down $1 in 63. You're showing a 1% decrease on the adjusted for inflation prices. The price went down $1 which is not even close to being 1% of the base price of $4,038. You tell me how that makes sense. How does mixing Callaway and ZR1 prices with coupes/convertibles are relevant?
Exactly!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

When interpretation of the inflated numbers/prices, are taken into consideration, the Corvette remains a Smokin' Hot value.

In the past 36 years, the dollars needed to buy the same goods or services (on average) have doubled in America.

Thusly, the same or replacement product NOW takes twice the number of dollars to buy the same thing, as 36 years ago.

This is called; inflation. It is a historical fact of ongoing economic life in America.

The technological advances of the Corvette in each generational series has been nothing short of fantastic too. Technology advances, are always the icing on the cake for the Corvette buyer!

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-10-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:35 PM
Bee attack
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I guess by now you know the price will start around $79K to $85K
Old 11-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

What we learned from the C7's release several months in, was that GM increased the baseline price by several thousand dollars. I recall the frenzied feelings expressed by those that missed out on a lower base ordered price. I also recall the glee of the early bird C7 buyers saving that money.

Deadlines are deadlines. Chevrolet dealers' hands were tied if you missed the lower base price buy in deadlines.

For this reason, consider saving money by buying early on in the first few months getting your orders in and locked down pricing.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-12-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:14 PM
Dave concrete
Race Director

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I don't think base price means all that much. It will follow naturally on tech and quality and considering its an entirely different platform/layout it should be reasonably higher. The big jumps are on the high models such as the Z06. from an 04Z fully loaded $55k to now $120K .So if the C8 has DCT, mid engine, Turbo motor and loads of exotic parts considering the now ZR1 is at $140k, expect the C8ZO6 to be around $140k if there is one.

Quick Reply: Historic Price Increases from one generation to another