Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery Cadillac fob appears. Trunk/Frunk/convertible roof

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 09:18 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by torquetube
An EV wouldn't have a remote engine start button.
How do you plan on cranking up your EV’s A/C on a hot summer day while you’re getting ready to head out of the house? It’s nice to let it get the cabin temps down before you get in; Especially in states like Florida, Texas, Nevada or Arizona, where it’s almost always a great hot day to drive your Corvette.

Last edited by Quinten33; 11-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ACCHRM (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

A first gen Volt fob has remote "start" button. Can remotely start the climate control while it's still plugged in.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:14 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,067 Likes on 6,169 Posts

Many have predicted that Cadillac will introduce their own sports car based on the mid engine Corvette. Here's Autoweek's commentary:

Corvette-based Cadillac: Speculation has been rampant for some time about a Cadillac based on the next-gen midengine Corvette. Before GM's bankruptcy, Cadillac released a concept of such a vehicle called the Cien. If the vehicle is given the green light, it could come as early as 2020 or 2021 to inject more performance DNA into the brand.

Read more: https://autoweek.com/article/rumormi...#ixzz5W2ZJZAei
I would suggest the the fob confirms that Cadillac is planning on their own version of the mid engine Corvette.
skank (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:20 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

Sure it would. You need to condition the cabin before take off, so ten minutes before leaving you hit the "start" button and it heats or cools the interior.

On an EV this is even more important since it can draw power from the charger to condition the cabin (and battery temp), leaving the car's battery in a full state of charge.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:27 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Fair enough. GM appears to use the engine cranking symbol on fob of their other EV, the Bolt. In my opinion it's a misapplication of the symbol and It's even incongruous with the power button inside the car. But they do seem to do it, so they might also do it on a Cadillac.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:36 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Many have predicted that Cadillac will introduce their own sports car based on the mid engine Corvette. Here's Autoweek's commentary:

I would suggest the the fob confirms that Cadillac is planning on their own version of the mid engine Corvette.
If those to pictures are authentic ,it’s going to be a definite possibility ...I guess they want to make Cadillac great again,
God knows it definitely needs a turn around.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,794 Posts

Am I the only one who finds it comical that when a photo of a fob that could be for a mid engine caddy shows up, it gets labeled "intentional misdirection", but when unnamed sources have no proof of anything and say it's a Corvette that will have no proce increase, have equL storage, and whatnot people take it as gospel ttuth?
The following 2 users liked this post by FAUEE:
JoesC5 (11-06-2018), wingman1659 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:49 PM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Fair enough. GM appears to use the engine cranking symbol on fob of their other EV, the Bolt. In my opinion it's a misapplication of the symbol and It's even incongruous with the power button inside the car. But they do seem to do it, so they might also do it on a Cadillac.
It's on my gen2 Volt's FOB as well.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:50 PM
Mr Triple Black
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 310 Posts

It could just be th Cadillac version of the ME. Or, it could be the 170k car Zerv02 has mentioned. We really have no idea on GM publically says something. However, I’m not spending 170, and likely wouldn’t buy a Cadillac so hopefully it turns out to be a ME Vette.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:52 PM
eyedeekay
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
Am I the only one who finds it comical that when a photo of a fob that could be for a mid engine caddy shows up, it gets labeled "intentional misdirection", but when unnamed sources have no proof of anything and say it's a Corvette that will have no proce increase, have equL storage, and whatnot people take it as gospel ttuth?

​​​​​​​to be honest I'm down for a mid engine Cadillac if it looks as good as this concept car:

Last edited by eyedeekay; 11-05-2018 at 10:53 PM.
purple heart (11-09-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:57 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

There is going to be an ME Vette, starting in 2019 as a 2020 model. It will be on the market for probably two years before the Cadillac version is released (if a Cadillac version actually get produced).
Old 11-06-2018, 12:52 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ

On both front and back side FOB pictures you can see a sticker at (A). If you focus only on the areas I noted between the lines on both sides of the FOB at (B1 and B2) you can see the difference.

(1) The button side of the FOB silver lined area I noted as B1 looks like the small letter “d” which continues then ends at C1, whereas
(2) The “Cadillac” side of the FOB silver lined area I noted B2 looks like the small letter “b”, which continues then ends at C2, thus

If you flip one FOB over and place on top of the other FOB so in essence looking at B1 and B2 on the left side for both, they can’t be the same FOB.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing? The button side is taken directly above where as the back side looks like you're back off directly above slightly. At least that's what I see geometrically... idk.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:05 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

It’s a g*ddamn Corvette from CHEVROLET.
Old 11-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Reread my post you reference as I made the below edit to help carifly what I’m saying.

“If you flip the button side FOB over (right becomes left thus the back side) and place on top of the other FOB so in essence looking at B1 and B2 on the left side for both, they can’t be the same FOB.”
Take the original photos (below) and flip the top fob over from top to bottom, not left to right. They are the same.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:25 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Reread my post you reference as I made the below edit to help carifly what I’m saying.

“If you flip the button side FOB over (right becomes left thus the back side) and place on top of the other FOB so in essence looking at B1 and B2 on the left side for both, they can’t be the same FOB.”
Flip it over and they're both the same. Reason it out spatially, you'll see why.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:08 AM
smoove7410
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 73 Posts

Current key fob for reference:

[img]https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-3pgn...80.380.jpg?c=2[/img]
Old 11-06-2018, 03:53 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

On both front and back side FOB pictures you can see a sticker at (A). If you focus only on the areas I noted between the lines on both sides of the FOB at (B1 and B2) you can see the difference.

(1) The button side of the FOB silver lined area I noted as B1 looks like the small letter “d” which continues then ends at C1, whereas
(2) The “Cadillac” side of the FOB silver lined area I noted B2 looks like the small letter “b”, which continues then ends at C2, thus

If you flip the button side FOB over (right becomes left thus the back side) and place on top of the other FOB so in essence looking at B1 and B2 on the left side for both, they can’t be the same FOB.

Using your own example: paint a lower-case "d" on a pane of glass and walk around to the other side. What does it look like? A lower-case "b".

In other words, you need a mirror image of one side in order to compare. As you can see, when one side is mirrored, the front and back have the same shape:

Original image of front

Mirror image of back

Get notified of new replies

To Mystery Cadillac fob appears. Trunk/Frunk/convertible roof

Old 11-06-2018, 07:31 AM
Atomic Utensil
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GMAN78OR
Personal opinion is that as mentioned GM uses the same fob's over multiple cars / brands. I have a feeling that this is a future Chevy/Caddy fob that has the guts in it for the new C8, but has the badge for Cadillac because those keys are ready for production and the C8 are not with the new badge. This looks like a legit key for Caddy since the badge is recessed into the key as opposed to just a sticker. But they could be using the caddy portion so as if they misplace it or somehow someone gets a pic of it that the C8 emblem won't be leaked.

Or in a year I will be buying a Cadillac....only time will tell.
Well to me it looks like Cadillac will eventually have a version of the C8 like they did with the XLR. This is most likely a prototype fob for the future Cadillac product. Im guessing the new Cadillac will drop a year or two after the C8 Corvette.
Old 11-06-2018, 07:40 AM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

If you flip the button side FOB over (right becomes left thus the back side) and place on top of the other FOB so in essence looking at B1 and B2 on the left side for both, they can’t be the same FOB.
For the life of me, I don't see what you're seeing. I completely understand what you're saying to do, but when done, it's correct - as shown. Flipping the key fob would produce the same results as shown. It's so basic, I wonder if the rest of us are missing what you're trying to say?
Old 11-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Here you go, CrabbyJ. Enjoy.

Quick Reply: Mystery Cadillac fob appears. Trunk/Frunk/convertible roof