Suggestion - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestion

Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 AM
  #1  
C2C3C4C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Glen Cove New York
Posts: 161
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default Suggestion

Suggestion for GM...keep the C7 with Chevy even upgrading the FE car to a C8 and beyond. Sell the new ME through Cadillac (can't see a $160k+ car being handled by Chevy dealerships) call it a Zora, Manta Ray, whatever, but make it a high end hyper car product under the banner of your premium line.
C2C3C4C6 is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 01:33 AM
  #2  
ACCHRM
Junior Member
 
ACCHRM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2018
Posts: 39
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Suggestion, it's a Chevy, they would not sell it under another brand, get over it. the C8 won't be 160+ unless you are looking at the top of the line car that would eventually come out years from now. It's a Corvette, it will ALWAYS be a Chevrolet.
ACCHRM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ACCHRM For This Useful Post:
C8soon (11-12-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:27 AM
  #3  
BIG Dave
CF Senior Member
 
BIG Dave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: One Hour From Boston!
Posts: 2,349
Thanked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6 View Post
Suggestion for GM...keep the C7 with Chevy even upgrading the FE car to a C8 and beyond. Sell the new ME through Cadillac (can't see a $160k+ car being handled by Chevy dealerships) call it a Zora, Manta Ray, whatever, but make it a high end hyper car product under the banner of your premium line.
A heavily optioned 2019 ZR1 comes in around $145K. What’s another $15K?
BIG Dave is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 02:58 AM
  #4  
fasttoys
CF Senior Member
 
fasttoys's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Posts: 889
Thanked 219 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BIG Dave View Post

A heavily optioned 2019 ZR1 comes in around $145K. What’s another $15K?





Death to the brand if the base ME starts at that price, In the end it would be a fast Chevy for 169k+. It would be like buying an overpriced Citizen watch at a Rolex price, both tell time but one is a true luxury brand while the other is not. Speed, looks and engine placement dosen't make it worth triple the current C7 base price. People its a Chevrolet being serviced at your local chevy dealer. Step into a Porsche dealer or equivalent they are built to handle the higher price point experience not Chevrolet.

Last edited by fasttoys; 11-09-2018 at 03:30 AM.
fasttoys is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fasttoys For This Useful Post:
C8soon (11-12-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:22 PM
  #5  
tooold2race
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Keller Texas
Posts: 231
Thanked 111 Times in 61 Posts
Default

For what it's worth.... I don't think that the folks at GM are going to abandon the 'flat earth' whiners..... They spent a fortune on the Kentucky plant to improve the paint shop and build several Corvette variants.... the new and improved C7 starting in the high $50's, a ME C8 going for somewhere below $100K nicely equipped, a Cadillac luxury variant, and, of course. several different high performance supercars. I predict that the C7 will be around for several more model years to keep the 'slow adapters' happy.

There is nothing wrong with the FE C7. If some of the new high tech stuff we're speculating that is in store for the C8 trickles down to the C7 over the next couple years, it will make both models a bit more affordable in the grand scheme of things and keep the FE fresh.

When we look at the C8 and the technology that everyone is predicting will be packaged in it, I really can't see how a nicely appointed model can go out the dealers door with a sticker price much under $100K. Either way, I'm not giving up my place in line. But PLEASE GM, don't go cheap on the car just to meet some crazy low perceived market entry price point.
tooold2race is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to tooold2race For This Useful Post:
skank (11-09-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 02:30 PM
  #6  
Foosh
CF Senior Member
 
Foosh's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Maryland/DC Metro
Posts: 14,610
Thanked 5,728 Times in 3,348 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BIG Dave View Post

A heavily optioned 2019 ZR1 comes in around $145K. What’s another $15K?
And the demand is only 2K per year at that price. That's not going to work.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-09-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Foosh is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Foosh For This Useful Post:
C8soon (11-12-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 03:40 PM
  #7  
TRT SR
CF Senior Member
 
TRT SR's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Bay City Michigan
Posts: 644
Thanked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Seems to me if they were going to keep the front engine C7 style around we would have seen some updated models running around under camo to protect the new look? For price, they now can make a C7 to sell for $65k all the way up to the $140k ZR1, don't we think they could and will do the same for the mid-engine? You want the look and style of the mid engine, yes sir we can do that at lower price. Oh, you want the top model with twin turbo V8 with hybrid powering the front wheels with all the bells and whistles...here you go! Price $170k. Not complicated for GM to make this happen. My 2011 Grand Sport was what I could afford at the time, and had the look of its more expensive cousin. Then, I waited until 2015 to get the real deal Z06. Might have to do the same thing again!
TRT SR is offline  
Old 11-09-2018, 08:12 PM
  #8  
fyreline
NCM Ambassador
Support Corvetteforum!
 
fyreline's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Syracuse NY
Posts: 2,629
Thanked 360 Times in 185 Posts
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist
Default

No more C7's once the C8 comes on line. GM will not be building two different Corvettes, and it won't start anywhere even close to $160,000. GM didn't invest multi-millions in the sole Corvette assembly plant in order to sell a handful of six-figure cars.
fyreline is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fyreline For This Useful Post:
Dominic Sorresso (11-10-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM
  #9  
Stingcan
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2016
Posts: 82
Thanked 30 Times in 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tooold2race View Post
For what it's worth.... I don't think that the folks at GM are going to abandon the 'flat earth' whiners..... They spent a fortune on the Kentucky plant to improve the paint shop and build several Corvette variants.... the new and improved C7 starting in the high $50's, a ME C8 going for somewhere below $100K nicely equipped, a Cadillac luxury variant, and, of course. several different high performance supercars. I predict that the C7 will be around for several more model years to keep the 'slow adapters' happy.

There is nothing wrong with the FE C7. If some of the new high tech stuff we're speculating that is in store for the C8 trickles down to the C7 over the next couple years, it will make both models a bit more affordable in the grand scheme of things and keep the FE fresh.

When we look at the C8 and the technology that everyone is predicting will be packaged in it, I really can't see how a nicely appointed model can go out the dealers door with a sticker price much under $100K. Either way, I'm not giving up my place in line. But PLEASE GM, don't go cheap on the car just to meet some crazy low perceived market entry price point.
Are you kidding me? The corvette is only in existence due to the low attainable starting point. The majority of the cars sold are base models - how is this a perceived notion? and the only way they can sell it there and make it worthwhile for them is due to volume which you have at an attainable price point, otherwise say bye bye to the vette.
Stingcan is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 01:57 PM
  #10  
Frankie2blue
CF Senior Member
 
Frankie2blue's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: North shore,Ma./Naples Florida
Posts: 2,632
Thanked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Dealership service will always be a problem. As a long time Cadillac owner, i can attest to the fact that their service is not any better than Chevrolet. What they should do is only have a few people that are qualified on working on Corvettes, including oil changes. I know that everyone of the good dealers has a tech that works on Corvettes, but as soon as he is busy on other jobs, they have the high school dropout changing your oil on your 125K Corvette.
Frankie2blue is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 02:45 PM
  #11  
elegant
CF Senior Member
 
elegant's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,703
Thanked 1,315 Times in 650 Posts
Default

Maybe at your dealership, but not at mine. I “fired” two Chevy dealerships for poor treatment of my Corvette, but after exhaustive researching, got one right now that is beyond excellent. Only the service manager or the Tech who always works on my car, is even allowed to drive it. There are no “lots boys or girls” at my dealership, nor entry oil changers.

We do not go to the nearest lawyer for advice, nor to the nearest dentist, nor go to the closest restaurant. We all make informed choices and drive past a bunch of folks and places we do not trust nor choose.

Similarly, I drive by two Chevy dealerships to get to mine which is 38 miles away from me, to get the best for my Corvette — and for my total piece of mind.
elegant is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to elegant For This Useful Post:
Shaka (11-16-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 03:24 PM
  #12  
BIG Dave
CF Senior Member
 
BIG Dave's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 1999
Location: One Hour From Boston!
Posts: 2,349
Thanked 83 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
And the demand is only 2K per year at that price. That's not going to work.
Originally Posted by fasttoys View Post


Death to the brand if the base ME starts at that price, In the end it would be a fast Chevy for 169k+. It would be like buying an overpriced Citizen watch at a Rolex price, both tell time but one is a true luxury brand while the other is not. Speed, looks and engine placement dosen't make it worth triple the current C7 base price. People its a Chevrolet being serviced at your local chevy dealer. Step into a Porsche dealer or equivalent they are built to handle the higher price point experience not Chevrolet.
Not sure either of you understood my response. I was replying to C2C3C4C6 who said, "can't see a $160k+ car being handled by Chevy dealerships". My point was, if Chevy dealerships are already handling service for $145K ZR1 Corvettes, why can't they handle service for a $160K Corvette, which is only $15K more?
BIG Dave is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 04:48 PM
  #13  
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member
 
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas - Make America Great Again!
Posts: 12,815
Thanked 862 Times in 676 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fyreline View Post
No more C7's once the C8 comes on line. GM will not be building two different Corvettes, and it won't start anywhere even close to $160,000. GM didn't invest multi-millions in the sole Corvette assembly plant in order to sell a handful of six-figure cars.
​​​​​​​^^^^ This.
Skid Row Joe is offline  
Old 11-12-2018, 04:53 PM
  #14  
Skid Row Joe
CF Senior Member
 
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas - Make America Great Again!
Posts: 12,815
Thanked 862 Times in 676 Posts
Default

Please share this Chevrolet dealer for Corvette service with us. Thank y

​​​​​​​ou!
Skid Row Joe is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 01:00 PM
  #15  
C2C3C4C6
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Glen Cove New York
Posts: 161
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Should not have to do that.
C2C3C4C6 is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 01:21 PM
  #16  
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member
 
TBIRD57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,890
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ACCHRM View Post
Suggestion, it's a Chevy, they would not sell it under another brand, get over it. the C8 won't be 160+ unless you are looking at the top of the line car that would eventually come out years from now. It's a Corvette, it will ALWAYS be a Chevrolet.
odd, no chevy bow tie nor the word chevrolet on the exterior to SHOUT this is a Chevrolet.
Rumors of Corvette spin-offs and their own showroom is the way to go imo.


TBIRD57 is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: