Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let’s discuss ME HT storing options

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Default Let’s discuss ME HT storing options

FVS’s video clip is a good start visually understanding what to expect as how the HT folds for storage. He correctly stopped at the top of the cycle because there are multiple designs within GM and other midengine manufacturers that work great. Well, maybe not all great, easy to maintain, free of failures, or even reasonably priced. So, with that, what do you think? Videos provided for two obvious ME candidates and the Pontiac G6.

My Comments:
1) Chevrolet SSR design easily adapted to the ME with buttresses and would afford a good price point opportunity
2) Folding the top behind the seats give option for a window over the engine
3) Early ME Spy pics show an obvious truck type body, maybe a feasibility study using SSR Top and rear deck lid
4) Ferrari 458 HT folded over laying flat does not allow easy access to the engine with the top down
5) Both Ferrari and the SSR designs allow for a separate manually operated rear trunk hatch. Note FVS’s design uses this concept

Last edited by CRABBYJ; 11-09-2018 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (11-10-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 11:05 AM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

We've had over a dozen new Corvettes dating back to 1968 and are anxiously awaiting our name appearing at the top of the dealers C8 waiting list. We always opt for a 'vert'. Back in 2003 we bought a new SSr on a 'lark' and ended up keeping it for 14 years!!! What a great ride....

Now for the 'top'. It operated flawlessly over all those years. The design concept (which I believe was done by a 3rs party supplier.... ACS comes to mind but I don't recall) was a masterpiece. Basically it consisted of 2 independent panels that 'floated' (they were not immediately hinged to one another) and went down into a vertical slot behind the seats. It did create some design issues since it stood rather high when folded down there, but in looking at all the various C8 spy shots and renderings, that doesn't seem like it would be an issue. Our Ferrari's folding top lays 'flat' restricting storage as well as covering up the mid-engine, which was such a great design feature on earlier models.

I, like many of you, am really looking forward to the folding hardtop 'vert'. While the manually removable hardtop is a very good solution, my wife and I find that we are a whole lot more likely to drop the top with a simple press of a button (even at a stoplight) rather than get out and load it in the hatch. Progress is such a great thing....
The following 4 users liked this post by tooold2race:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-24-2019), CRABBYJ (11-10-2018), dreamr616 (11-11-2018), firstvettesoon (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 07:06 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Wow, tooold2race, owning an SSR for 14 years and the top never gave you a problem speaks volumes that GM got this right and IMO has at least been seriously looked at to be a serious candidate to be used in the ME. Probably the simplist design, offers probably the lightest weight (a major Corvette Team goal), and should have the lowest cost to produce.

So, for you to keep its operation “flawless” over 14 years, what preventive maintenance schedule and time interval was required by GM, and did you do anything else in addition to help keep it fault free? And the Ferrari’s top preformance?

IMO I think this SSR Design is the way that the Corvette Team will go for the ME. There, I’m on record.

Let me add a couple additional comments in support of the buttress ME HT design and adapting the SSR HT to it.

6) Using a retracting verticle C3 type rear window should not be a problem.
7) Thus that rear window could automatically retract as part of the top down/up auto operation.
8) Or, there could also be an additional function to manually raise or lower that rear window placed where you desire as a windbreak top down or even as a air pass through option with the HT up.
9) Number 8 could be even common to the ME Coupe Targa Top on or off.
10) Storage space behind the seats very probable but may be limited with the HT retracted. The ME Coupe could also have this common storage space and would be less restricted.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:59 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Just me, but I don't much care for the "buttress-left-up" look. Plus, having owned more than a few cloth convertibles incl. a C6, I see no reason to go the "advanced route" of a folding metal/non-metal (solid) top. Weight for the solid top itself, plus the mechanism to support it, and extra storage required are the main issues to me.

I'd be willing to hear from a real convertible top engineer as to the overall space needed for both kinds of top when folded, but my guess is solid top takes more room.

Good vids, Crabby, to show the variety out there.
CRABBYJ (11-10-2018)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:39 AM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

The folding top on the SSr required 'zero' maintenance or service over our 14 year ownership..... and that was about 90,000 miles too. The friend who bought it from us has, likewise experienced no problems at all. We've only had the Ferrari for a couple of years now and it also has been problem free. That design seems quite heavy (especially the hatch lid) and when down, significantly limits storage. It can accommodate a couple shopping bags or soft sided travel bags. For shopping, my wife has been able to get by without storage issues. We don't golf but I'd speculate that golf clubs could be a problem.....
The following 3 users liked this post by tooold2race:
CRABBYJ (11-10-2018), elegant (11-10-2018), JerriVette (04-24-2019)
Old 11-10-2018, 10:49 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

AO, I know what you mean. All valid points. I love Corvette Verts too. My next one will be one whether a soft top or HT. Even FE (if still offered) or ME based on price differential for each. But we’ve recognized no true ME Soft Top Vert Spy Pics with or without buttresses. Only what looks like a Coupe and what we think is a HT Vert with buttresses. Who knows, but I think GM could have even more surprises for us including your wish. But the probability seem low, so far.

My biggest fear, which would be a disaster thus ~ 0% chance of happening, is a Corvette ME Soft Top Vert with buttresses. Think Pontiac Solstice Vert. Although with small buttresses that didn’t look too bad. The wrinkles in the top up were truly bad and never addressed throughout production. All your concerns aside, I expect an ME HT Vert will look as good as that Ferrari, irregardless of how the HT stores in the back.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:55 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Yes, considering the Solstice and its sister were seemingly true convertibles (or could have been) their small buttresses and overall "messy" look of the top when up was a real negative to me. I also doubt I'll see a ME with a cloth top, too. But it might be a stand-out if GM is the first to have it, for sure!

What is good to know tho is that at least two designs, the SSR and a Ferrari, can have relatively complex and heavier (even slightly) solid folding roofs, but they don't require a lot of maintenance or re-jiggering---that's a strong point.

Last edited by AORoads; 11-10-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

AS long as gm offers the manual lift off targa for free...thats what im buying. I always get my best attention from beautiful women when im putting on or taking off the roof..(go figure)

always worth a few laughs ...and while i applaud those that go for the power folding hardtop...

unless the lines of the convertible are somehow nicer from a styling standpoint...im pocketing the difference..

i like the exercise...i know its crazy ...

im sure the motorized folding roof will be awesome.

i expect both to store behind the driver and passenger...the front trunk doesnt look big enough to hold the targa roof.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:25 AM
ACCHRM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Yes, considering the Solstice and its sister were seemingly true convertibles (or could have been) their small buttresses and overall "messy" look of the top when up was a real negative to me. I also doubt I'll see a ME with a cloth top, too. But it might be a stand-out if GM is the first to have it, for sure!

What is good to know tho is that at least two designs, the SSR and a Ferrari, can have relatively complex and heavier (even slightly) solid folding roofs, but they don't require a lot of maintenance or re-jiggering---that's a strong point.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:40 AM
chazcron
Racer

Received 2,829 Likes on 358 Posts

Moved to correct thread

Last edited by chazcron; 04-24-2019 at 12:52 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

I'm really looking forward to the HT convertible. I'm crossing my fingers it will pass HPDE tech with the top up. I could run a few HPDE weekends a year and have a convertible too. The targa is blustery vs. a vert as the rear hatch just catches air no matter what you do. Taking the top in/out isn't rocket science, but it's nice to be able to put the top down sitting at a light with the push of a button. It's just easier.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:45 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I also doubt I'll see a ME with a cloth top, too. But it might be a stand-out if GM is the first to have it, for sure!
Now you've seen one.
The following 2 users liked this post by ByByBMW:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-24-2019), RapidC84B (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:49 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The BMW i8 Roadster is a retractable soft top. Works well but doubt it would pass HPDE tech.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:16 PM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
The BMW i8 Roadster is a retractable soft top. Works well but doubt it would pass HPDE tech.
Unless BMW has changed their mind in the last 10 years, Verts were verboten. Period. (Not sure about retractable hard tops though)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Just me, but I don't much care for the "buttress-left-up" look. Plus, having owned more than a few cloth convertibles incl. a C6, I see no reason to go the "advanced route" of a folding metal/non-metal (solid) top. Weight for the solid top itself, plus the mechanism to support it, and extra storage required are the main issues to me.

I'd be willing to hear from a real convertible top engineer as to the overall space needed for both kinds of top when folded, but my guess is solid top takes more room.

Good vids, Crabby, to show the variety out there.
I have to agree on the preference for cloth tops.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:49 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
Now you've seen one.
... And it looks like Porsche got the door-to-scoop transition worked out as well.
ByByBMW (04-24-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 03:19 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Cloth top, but structurally similar to the Ferrari setup.

Tally Ho (04-25-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 04:11 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Mazdas retractable hardtop weighs 120 lbs more than the soft top and costs an extra $6600.

i expect the c8 retractable hardtop to run close to those numbers and close in design execution
Old 04-24-2019, 04:45 PM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JerriVette
Mazdas retractable hardtop weighs 120 lbs more than the soft top and costs an extra $6600.

i expect the c8 retractable hardtop to run close to those numbers and close in design execution
i’ve no doubt the retractable HT weighs more, but a local Mazda Dealer New Inventory search revealed these two, one a soft top Vert the other an RF HT Vert. These two are just $2145 apart in MSRP. Negotiated price may spread a little more. Thus well within what we surmise the ME HT over a C7 Vert probably will increase. But then again what will the “Vette Tax” demand?

Get notified of new replies

To Let’s discuss ME HT storing options

Quick Reply: Let’s discuss ME HT storing options