Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Technician knows nothing

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:49 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts

I think they all get a PARTICIPATION certificate
Old 11-18-2018, 10:05 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

...well with less than a year to delivery (?) and NO training of technicians as of yet... I would assume the ME will be Sooo simple to maintain that they require very little training, the training....and we should all be happy!
Old 11-23-2018, 07:32 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
GM would be smart to outsource maintence on the C8 to Porsche. Then they could charge $1000 for an oil change but it might actually be done correctly.
Or one could do what I did, which was to do lots of research and find an excellent Tech at a superb dealership, who changes my oil himself (no underling) for $79.95, with my then keeping the $920.05 for my next Corvette.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:06 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Elegant, you are fortunate to have found a competent tech. Based on all the threads concerning a botched oil change they seem to be a rare breed. That said, I suspect those owners who experience a well done oil change are not posting their positive results. I am also fortunate to have found a dealer with 2 competent techs, however I also have a friend with a lift so I do my own. My earlier post was obviously tongue in cheek but there is some truth to it.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:19 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

I understand rmorin1249, for I had to learn the hard way. First, I chose the closest Chevy dealer to me. That was a disaster on my brand new Corvette. In doing a simple oil/filter change, they scratched the fender, left oil residence on the valve cover, some more on the driver’s door handle, and even some on the rear fender. At least when I brought him back to the car to show him those things, the SA acknowledged that all those things were done by his service department.

Next I chose to drive by the closest dealer to the second one from me, and while not a disaster, not a success either. So then I did extensive research starting with attending local car events, and going up to every Corvette owner there, and asking them to please tell me where they had their Corvette serviced.

Now, as a consequence, I drive by two Chevy dealerships closest to me, go 38 miles each way, but now have total piece of mind. Never been disappointed.

We do not go to the closest restaurant, nor to the closest dentist, yet amazingly how many Corvette owners make one of two typical mistakes in choosing their service department:

1) Assume that they need to the dealership where they bought their car (often a major mistake);
2) Get lazy and by default, take it to their closest dealership.

Last edited by elegant; 11-23-2018 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:18 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

It is nice to have an option of multiple dealers to choose from. Our dealer here is a Chevy- Buick-GMC-Cadillac-Chrysler-Dodge-Ram-Jeep dealer. So the tech that repairs Jeeps also services Corvettes. If I drive east or west one hour I can get to another multi line Chevy dealer. Then it is a three hour drive from home to the next closest Chevy dealer.

So much depends upon where you live.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:27 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

TEXASRANGER,
I'll remember that if I'm out in Marble Falls with my Corvette. We're extremely fortunate to have some of the Top Chevrolet dealer Corvette recommended Technicians in Texas! I've gotten some excellent referrals from members and Moderator Zymurgy, ​​​​​​​to take my new CA to!!

Quick Reply: Corvette Technician knows nothing