Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updated 3D renders from bdsvavars

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 03:59 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
This is the one I'm hoping to see.

I can't say I'm a fan of the OP's rendering.

+1. Agreed. The render in Post #1 looks like a hideous 4 x 4 Corvette with all that ground clearance. The rendering skills is not the problem. It's the overall look. I certainly hope GM pulls their head out of their *** for this new C8.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:07 AM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

I don’t think the renderings show anymore or less ground clearance in the actual camo car or many other mid engine cars for that matter. No, it’s not slammed on the ground, but it’s not supposed to be. In my opinion, it will be as low as the current c7 s.

The renderings are actually very close to the true sizes and proportions of the car. The original version was missing some of the finer details and correct body lines and contours exact shape of headlights and tail lights etc. but I believe his next renderings will be extremely accurate.... at least for the details that we know, or think we know.

I am looking forward to seeing them soon. !

in my opinion, from the work of BDS and Chazcron in 3-D modeling, we are beginning to see the basic form of the car better, spatially. We are starting to see it from different angles where the character of the car begins to show. The stance and posture .

The beauty of 3-D models his that they will be able to correct for the camera distortion and positioning and will be able to place the model in a 3-D environment with actual reference points so we can get a true idea of its size, height and stance.

The finer details and trim will likely remain a mystery until the car is revealed. trim details can change the entire character of the car by accentuating certain features and tying elements together. All of these models and renderings are giving us an idea of what the basic form of the car will be not the ultimate visual impact We still need to use our imaginations and assume that GM has done their job. I would take these renderings and multiply by 10 and that would be my expectation of the final product.

looking forward to it.

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 11-25-2018 at 11:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 11:26 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon
I don’t think the renderings show anymore or less ground clearance in the actual camo car or many other mid engine cars for that matter. No, it’s not slammed on the ground, but it’s not supposed to be. In my opinion, it will be as low as the current c7 s.

The renderings are actually very close to the true sizes and proportions of the car. The original version was missing some of the finer details and correct body lines and contours exact shape of headlights and tail lights etc. but I believe his next renderings will be extremely accurate.... at least for the details that we know, or think we know.

I am looking forward to seeing them soon. !

in my opinion, from the work of BDS and Chazcron in 3-D modeling, we are beginning to see the basic form of the car better, spatially. We are starting to see it from different angles where the character of the car begins to show. The stance and posture .

The beauty of 3-D models his that they will be able to correct for the camera distortion and positioning and will be able to place the model in a 3-D environment with actual reference points so we can get a true idea of its size, height and stance.

looking forward to it.
As someone mentioned, the camera distortions don't affect other cars. I don't see any redeeming features on this car other than the race car. I perform major surgery on all your renders to make the design acceptable to my eyes, but it still fails to impress. We will see pretty soon. That scoop is what I look forward to the most. Maybe Pratt and Miller's CFD files will be available like they were on

all the other race cars since the C5.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:49 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Corvette_Nut
Interesting....

Save The Wave,
Corvette_Nut
I think that scoop shape we see under the camo, is the actual ducting system made to be removable for experimental purposes. F1 teams spend millions just on their airboxes. Slight variations have dramatic affects. The engine intake N/A or turbo needs specialized shaping both at the compressor and the plenum. To cool coolant and lubricants take different varying velocities. There is a lot of work going on in this area.

The following 2 users liked this post by Shaka:
elegant (12-08-2018), firstvettesoon (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:38 PM
firstvettesoon
Melting Slicks

Received 1,906 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
As someone mentioned, the camera distortions don't affect other cars. I don't see any redeeming features on this car other than the race car. I perform major surgery on all your renders to make the design acceptable to my eyes, but it still fails to impress. We will see pretty soon. That scoop is what I look forward to the most. Maybe Pratt and Miller's CFD files will be available like they were on

all the other race cars since the C5.
I agree with you to the point about the camera distortion. The main difference I believe is that other cars we see with camouflage are recognizable/known Car’s such as the Ferrari 488 and Lamborghinis. They are also more dramatic looking vehicles. I believe there is still some slight padding camouflage on the cars to hide specific details which will change the overall look. I don’t think we can expect the Corvette to be super exotic looking car. It will likely look like a cross between a mid engine McLaren or Ferrari and a C7. It needs to retain it’s corvette heritage look and styling queues and B brought forward into the mid engine platform.

I also agree that the camouflage car photographs look a little plain Jane in comparison to the Ferraris in McLarens in Lamborghinis but I believe that is mostly due to us not seeing some of the more dramatic styling queues and trim.

as you say and many others say, the side scoop is a defining feature and will need to be treated first for performance and then for styling but the styling had better be killer.!

I do not think we have nailed the side Scoop /rear fender design exactly yet. I feel it is in the ballpark but not accurate. Many of the variations we have tried simply do not look very good or natural. I do not think the rounded Cove scoop suggested looks good either and would be surprised if it was that design although many of the Maclaren side intake designs are not attractive either IMO.

I feel it will need to be sharp and angular to fit with the rest of the features that we can see. Perhaps it will be similar to the McLaren 650 S FAB which seems to have the same general shape and position and also includes a panel in front of the rear wheel which could explain the holes seen in the CAD drawing ?

Last edited by firstvettesoon; 11-25-2018 at 12:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by firstvettesoon:
jcsperson (11-25-2018), Shaka (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Originally Posted by firstvettesoon

I agree with you to the point about the camera distortion. The main difference I believe is that other cars we see with camouflage are recognizable/known Car’s such as the Ferrari 488 and Lamborghinis. They are also more dramatic looking vehicles. I believe there is still some slight padding camouflage on the cars to hide specific details which will change the overall look. I don’t think we can expect the Corvette to be super exotic looking car. It will likely look like a cross between a mid engine McLaren or Ferrari and a C7. It needs to retain it’s corvette heritage look and styling queues and B brought forward into the mid engine platform.

I also agree that the camouflage car photographs look a little plain Jane in comparison to the Ferraris in McLarens in Lamborghinis but I believe that is mostly due to us not seeing some of the more dramatic styling queues and trim.

as you say and many others say, the side scoop is a defining feature and will need to be treated first for performance and then for styling but the styling had better be killer.!

I do not think we have nailed the side Scoop /rear fender design exactly yet. I feel it is in the ballpark but not accurate. Many of the variations we have tried simply do not look very good or natural. I do not think the rounded Cove scoop suggested looks good either and would be surprised if it was that design although many of the Maclaren side intake designs are not attractive either IMO.

I feel it will need to be sharp and angular to fit with the rest of the features that we can see. Perhaps it will be similar to the McLaren 650 S FAB which seems to have the same general shape and position and also includes a panel in front of the rear wheel which could explain the holes seen in the CAD drawing ?

Very well written, thanks. I feel better now. Youve' given me hope. That's a very nice transition to the future design with a hint of the past. Can't wait.
firstvettesoon (11-25-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 03:45 PM
DannyZ06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks great!!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
This is the one I'm hoping to see.

I can't say I'm a fan of the OP's rendering.
If it looks like that, the checkbook is primed and ready. The render at the top of the post looks.....bland.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:39 PM
0Sandyeggo Designs
Former Vendor

Received 249 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Great skills OP!

I have a feeling the actual car would have similar styling cues but far more attractive than all the renderings because from all we've seen so far if the car looks anything like the renderings and assumptions then the car will be FAR from stunning or attractive IMO. Specially the rear-end (which looks like sh*t) and the side scoops.

None of the renderings so far are attractive enough to be called a Corvette. Hopefully the real car will be more like the C8R than any of the renderings so far.
I am a supporting vendor on the Corvette Forum so I need to be real careful not to offend anyone, but I agree completely with you. It is butt-ugly in those renderings. It looks like some kind of stretched Toyota Celica wannabe super car. Ugh!
Now *this* looks MUCH better:

Old 11-28-2018, 08:07 PM
bdsvavars
Advanced

Received 251 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Winner

The following 7 users liked this post by bdsvavars:
ACCHRM (11-28-2018), chazcron (11-29-2018), elegant (11-29-2018), firstvettesoon (11-28-2018), kingpin111 (11-29-2018), Shaka (11-30-2018), Tha7osavage (11-28-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-28-2018, 09:54 PM
ACCHRM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bdsvavars
That scoop might be the best I've seen so far, car looks dope!
The following 2 users liked this post by ACCHRM:
kingpin111 (11-29-2018), Shaka (11-29-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:50 PM
Tha7osavage
Cruising

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, I'd definitely buy that thing. Great job!
bdsvavars (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:46 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Excellent work bdsvavars. That is an exciting car you have rendered, and the way you have taken a known C8 IVERS and shown us how your rendering excactly matches up, is very exciting.

Thank you very much!.
bdsvavars (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:36 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Excellent. At last a scoop that works. Can be changed to a wider intake for the higher HP versions. The rear quarter may be the same for all C8s and the wider wheels required for the HP car may receive a larger positive offset. Remember the 11" wheels on the C4 ZR1? Well, the 96 Grand Sport also had 11" wheels at the rear with a stock body. The GS handled a lot better with that geometry with the greater pos. offset keeping the track the same front to rear.

Last edited by Shaka; 11-29-2018 at 08:38 AM.
bdsvavars (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandyeggo Designs
I am a supporting vendor on the Corvette Forum so I need to be real careful not to offend anyone, but I agree completely with you. It is butt-ugly in those renderings. It looks like some kind of stretched Toyota Celica wannabe super car. Ugh!
Now *this* looks MUCH better:

That looks horrendous. Thank goodness you're not on the design team.
The following 6 users liked this post by Speednet:
bdsvavars (11-29-2018), dreamr616 (11-30-2018), jcsperson (11-29-2018), JockItch (04-23-2019), Natrlone93 (11-30-2018), Shaka (11-29-2018) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-29-2018, 07:38 PM
arlvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ANTIVNOM
If it looks like that, the checkbook is primed and ready. The render at the top of the post looks.....bland.
I completely agree, if it looks like the Automobilemag.com rendering my checkbook is open. GM will have a major hit and will finally give the Euro exotics serious competition.
If they keep the price under $100k it will destroy them

Last edited by arlvette; 11-29-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 06:24 AM
bdsvavars
Advanced

Received 251 Likes on 38 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Winner -- Unmodified
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Winner

Here are couple of new renders. it's getting closer and closer
Name:  6pmeSbs.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  E2OzBF1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  116.3 KB
The following 11 users liked this post by bdsvavars:
bgspot (12-26-2018), blacheg (04-23-2019), bo_knows (01-05-2019), dreamr616 (11-30-2018), elegant (11-30-2018), firstvettesoon (11-30-2018), Foosh (11-30-2018), RandomTask (11-30-2018), RapidC84B (11-30-2018), rpoz06 (11-30-2018), Shaka (11-30-2018) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Get notified of new replies

To Updated 3D renders from bdsvavars

Old 11-30-2018, 10:23 AM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Thanks so much bdsvavars. New screen savers!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
bdsvavars (11-30-2018), Shaka (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 01:20 PM
tcweidner
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I completely agree, if it looks like the Automobilemag.com rendering my checkbook is open. GM will have a major hit and will finally give the Euro exotics serious competition.
If they keep the price under $100k it will destroy them
I agree 100%, but the problem is the bland version matches the lines of the actual car we have seen leaked. So thats a problem. To my eye the more likely blandy design kinda looks like a "kia stinger like car" jumping out of the back end of an exotic. It's weird to my eye. But hey, who knows, things may change, not the end of the world either way.

Last edited by tcweidner; 11-30-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 PM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,162 Likes on 5,988 Posts

The automobile mag one is just a paint shopped NSX... looks like ****, nothing "Corvette" about it.

Quick Reply: Updated 3D renders from bdsvavars