Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 12:26 AM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts
Default C8 question

I was wondering what keeps the front end of mid engines steady, I recall driving a Corvair once it almost flew up on a windy day.

Last edited by ojm; 11-14-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 02:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

^^^
Hmm, having several Corvairs, my last a modified '67 with 14 inch wider tires and wheels, headers etc it was a great oversteering car! It had a rear NOT mid engine. As I recall about 60% of it weight on the rear. The biggest problem is most folks did not follow the GM tire pressure recommendations of using 16 psi in the front wheels that reduced front traction and minimized oversteer. Yep with 30 psi on all tires the front was bouncing and very light! Even my '64 Corvair, which was stock weighing 2400 lbs, never felt the front end was that light BUT I used the proper tire pressures!

Funny as Porsches of the era were about the same re oversteer. Once learned it was fun to drive. If going into a corner very fast just had to be ready to turn into a skid if it occurred. Kind of like a dirt track racer. Problem is most folks turn the wheel the wrong way or not fast enough and it spins off the road very quickly, rear first!

The C8 will perhaps have 5% more weight on the rear than the C7 and GM will manage the oversteer.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-14-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:26 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Hmm, having several Corvairs, my last a modified '67 with 14 inch wider tires and wheels, headers etc it was a great oversteering car! It had a rear NOT mid engine. As I recall about 60% of it weight on the rear. The biggest problem is most folks did not follow the GM tire pressure recommendations of using 16 psi in the front wheels that reduced front traction and minimized oversteer. Yep with 30 psi on all tires the front was bouncing and very light! Even my '64 Corvair, which was stock weighing 2400 lbs, never felt the front end was that light BUT I used the proper tire pressures!

Funny as Porsches of the era were about the same re oversteer. Once learned it was fun to drive. If going into a corner very fast just had to be ready to turn into a skid if it occurred. Kind of like a dirt track racer. Problem is most folks turn the wheel the wrong way or not fast enough and it spins off the road very quickly, rear first!

The C8 will perhaps have 5% more weight on the rear than the C7 and GM will manage the oversteer.

Interesting, I never knew much about tire pressure it was my first car, my brother gave it to me. The picture above was from a local large gm dealer, does kind of look like a rear engine.
Btw was top notch in snow conditions. I'm not willing to spend much on a C8 but kind of think the C7 could get more affordable with the ME being on the market soon?
Old 11-14-2018, 01:27 PM
marknagy13
Pro

Received 1,112 Likes on 326 Posts

My guess would be mostly downforce and aero.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:30 PM
2015GTRBE
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by marknagy13
My guess would be mostly downforce and aero.
bingo
Old 11-14-2018, 01:33 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ojm
Interesting, I never knew much about tire pressure it was my first car, my brother gave it to me. The picture above was from a local large gm dealer, does kind of look like a rear engine.
Btw was top notch in snow conditions. I'm not willing to spend much on a C8 but kind of think the C7 could get more affordable with the ME being on the market soon?

That pic is a mid-rear engine not a rear engine.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:41 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by *C7*
That pic is a mid-rear engine not a rear engine.
That's the odd part because my local GM dealer has it advertising pre-orders for the ME with that picture.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 PM
alienranch
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
That's the odd part because my local GM dealer has it advertising pre-orders for the ME with that picture.
That sounds correct. The C8 will be a ME (Mid-Engine) layout, which is exactly what is pictured. The engine being behind the driver doesn't automatically make it a rear engine vehicle. Being behind the driver, yet forward of the rear axle makes it a rear mounted, mid-engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by alienranch:
firstvettesoon (11-14-2018), ojm (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 01:51 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ojm

That pic is correct. The C8 will be a mid engine which is what that pic is. It is also called a rear mid engine. The engine is front of the rear axle so it is mid(rear) engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by *C7*:
firstvettesoon (11-14-2018), ojm (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm

I was wondering what keeps the front end of mid engines steady, I recall driving a Corvair once it almost flew up on a windy day.
a) it still has 45%-odd weight on it (1440 pounds)
b) there is a not a huge air intake in front and lots of warm/hot air bleeding out of the engine compartment
c) thus the airflow at the front under the car is a lot more laminar than a FE car, probably enough to gain downforce at the front.
The following users liked this post:
ojm (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by ojm
Yep great in snow! Funny story re snow and the Corvair.

Shaggy Dog Story:
Brought the Corvair to OH when I moved to a small town on Lake Erie. It was my winter car (until I bought a CJ5 Jeep.) Had a 260Z that stayed parked in the winter- too much salt on the roads.

One year first snow I did what was normal, when I was on a side road that had not been plowed I was purposely weaved back and forth to remind myself of handling when slippery. All was fine, no traffic in front! Then a blue light was flashing in my mirror! A cop was behind pulling me over. I stopped. He came to the window and asked what was doing!

Now I thought Ralph Nader's book was a joke. Only bought it when it was in paperback! It's full or lawyer partial truths and mentions a JC Whitney spring to add between the swing axles and one bullet that said "makes safer." Never said that same pic had part numbers listed for Porsche and VWs. He also used the '65 and later Corvairs to prove they went away from swing axles because “they were unsafe.” (Reminded of how I had to handle questions in court re welding fume labels. Can never say the latest ones are better, which is what the lawyers are trying to extract from you! "WHAT WE HAD AT THE TIME WAS THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE THEN!" Still consult as an expert witness!

I said to the officer, "Boy that Ralph Nader was right these cars are dangerous." He smiled and said be careful! Got out of that one!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-14-2018 at 04:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ojm (11-14-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 question

Quick Reply: C8 question