90% of all of these theories on here are crazy - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C8 Corvette > C8 General Discussion
Reload this Page >

90% of all of these theories on here are crazy

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 11-14-2018, 03:03 PM
Zora.Info
CF Senior Member

Why so damn hostile? Everybody can share their opinions, calm the hell down little fella. Everybody gets so angry for some reason on here.

Last edited by Zora.Info; 11-14-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
You're contradicting yourself. You argue they won't change the formula, while trying to talk up the greatness of a Corvette that's based on a whole new formula.

Also, it's already been sold as a Cadillac before. See: XLR.
The formula that I am referring to is on pricing, keeping the car affordable, not talking about the change to a mid engine car. The XLR was a Cadillac even though it was built in BG with the C6 platform. That is different than selling Corvette under Cadillac division.

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 11-14-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM
2015GTRBE
CF Member

Originally Posted by moldyviolinist View Post
First of all, how do you know the bolded statement? Please provide some evidence. Lotus built the Elise and Exige for less.

Secondly, this post reveals the root of this guys position... he is trying to convince himself the C8 will be expensive, because he doesn't want it if it's cheap. A higher price will compel him to buy; he doesn't actually care about the features. The Corvette is about performance/dollar. If you need to drive a needlessly expensive car, go buy an optioned up 911.
No itís not that I want it to be needlessly more expensive, however it does NEED to be more expensive for several reasons.

1. Interior quality
2. Because they can and should. Iím tired of Corvette being the Walmart of sports cars, time to shed the excuses and let GM really show what they can do.
3. Better engine materials like forged internals.
4. Better presence in the market.

GM can place this car in an amazing position. Base price $99k
1. Undercut NSX
2. Undercut GTR
3. Undercut comparable 911
4. Undercut all others.

A lotus has a V6 Toyota engine and sorry Iím not going to let you say ďwell if they can do it why canít GM?!Ē. Ever see a Lotus? Sit in one? Thatís why it canít be 70k and be a true mid engine Corvette. Educate yourself.

Last edited by 2015GTRBE; 11-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:20 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

I don't think they'll sell Corvettes at Cadillac dealers either. As far as keeping it affordable, I think they'll solve that by continuing to build some flavor of front engine car.

Anyone who thinks they're going to be able to scrape their way into a stripped down 1LT Zora for $60k is dreaming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff V. For This Useful Post:
vndkshn (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:24 PM
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member

I don't think they'll sell Corvettes at Cadillac dealers either. As far as keeping it affordable, I think they'll solve that by continuing to build some flavor of front engine car.

Anyone who thinks they're going to be able to scrape their way into a stripped down 1LT Zora for $60k is dreaming.
We will all know soon!
Old 11-14-2018, 03:26 PM
Luke C7
CF Member

I'm an engineer for a plastics company and we got some 2020 corvette business awhile back from GM. So it's definitely a C8 an coming soon

Last edited by Luke C7; 11-14-2018 at 03:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Luke C7 For This Useful Post:
JerryU (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:29 PM
pietro c7
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Luke C7 View Post
I'm an engineer for a plastics company and we got some 2020 corvette business awhile back from GM. So it's definitely a C8 an coming soon
Thanks Luke,I canít wait.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:29 PM
2015GTRBE
CF Member

I agree, and itís because Cadillac canít sell their own high performance models. I owned a 2012 CTS V coupe bought new and the dealer experience was this.. I was the only person in my 30s that was a customer. I was also the only 30 year old period besides the techs and PDI staff. Cadillac means nothing to Corvette buyers or high-line buyers.

That does not mean Corvette canít be sold as its own brand under Chevy or next to Chevy. Eventually Corvette dealers will be forced to separate the product into its own smaller showroom like Hyundai is doing with Genesis while they add to their product line up. Porscheís were sold out of Audi dealerships till the 1980s. The reason Corvette canít have its own showroom is because no dealer network wants to be only selling Corvettes in the cold winter months. Itís not like Ferrari with high commissions/ profits per sale.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

So they told you guys they're discontinuing the C7?
Old 11-14-2018, 03:30 PM
falcon5619
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427 View Post
The Corvette is and has always been, a car that a middle class car enthusiast could obtain! It has always offered a lot of car for a reasonable amount of money. The Corvette is sold under Chevrolet for that reason! It will always be a Chevrolet Corvette and not sold under Cadillac or being made it's own brand. Tradition and History works well with the Corvette. After 65 years do you think GM/Chevrolet is going to change the formula that has made the car so successful? The new C8 ME car will continue to offer a lot of car for the money and be affordable to many. There will be as today, a range of Corvette models from the base up to a hyper performance super car model. There will be an *** for every seat of every model.....as there is today!
Agreed. I think sometimes folks forget that this is a business. GM is not just going to abandon 90% of their buyers and risk it all to compete with Porsche and others. The value proposition for the Corvette is that it punches way above its weight for what it costs. That is the compelling value of it.

As for the mid engine a company like GM can build it for less money than the exotic brands and they will sell more volume as a result. That business model works. If they want to take it upmarket then it would not be under the Chevy brand, it would have to be Cadillac.
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon5619 For This Useful Post:
JerryU (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:31 PM
2015GTRBE
CF Member

awesome, prove it. If you can text the words you can show proof.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:32 PM
range96
CF Senior Member

Default In before the lock!

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov View Post
Guy complains about crazy theories, then says the C8 must be $115K to $120K.
I agree. I get a headache just trying to follow the OP's logic. Does he even know what the C8, flat plane crank or the criteria for a crappy panel gap is?
To quote him:

The Following User Says Thank You to range96 For This Useful Post:
CorvettoBrando (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 03:34 PM
2015GTRBE
CF Member

Originally Posted by falcon5619 View Post
Agreed. I think sometimes folks forget that this is a business. GM is not just going to abandon 90% of their buyers and risk it all to compete with Porsche and others. The value proposition for the Corvette is that it punches way above its weight for what it costs. That is the compelling value of it.

As for the mid engine a company like GM can build it for less money than the exotic brands and they will sell more volume as a result. That business model works. If they want to take it upmarket then it would not be under the Chevy brand, it would have to be Cadillac.
show me raw sales statistics for how many of what particular C7 models have been sold and ordered by dealers. I bet 90% werenít base coupes in auto.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM
pietro c7
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2015GTRBE View Post

awesome, prove it. If you can text the words you can show proof.
I really canít understand what the fuss is...
Why is the next Vette any different then the next Camry?or the next F150?or the next 911?

Everyone knows those brands donít go away ,And they change every few years...

The vettes layout is changing,itís still coming,and still catering to its clientele .
Old 11-14-2018, 03:38 PM
2015GTRBE
CF Member

Originally Posted by range96 View Post
I agree. I get a headache just trying to follow the OP's logic. Does he even know what the C8, flat plane crank or the criteria for a crappy panel gap is?
To quote him:

he does because he not only works in a business closely tied to automotive, he also owns and operates several cars from many different brands to understand the market, pricing, and consumer expectations. He also is in his 30s and is GMs target audience.

I can cover the cars Iíve owned (new, used doesnít count) and get into more detail as to why I think I have a good handle on this.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:40 PM
2015GTRBE
CF Member

Originally Posted by pietro c7 View Post

I really canít understand what the fuss is...
Why is the next Vette any different then the next Camry?or the next F150?or the next 911?

Everyone knows those brands donít go away ,And they change every few years...

The vettes layout is changing,itís still coming,and still catering to its clientele .
its no fuss.... my original post was merely addressing the crazy theories Iíve seen on here, even though I find them entertaining and some just outright stupid.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:04 PM
Tom73
CF Senior Member

Corvette sells every car they make. GM doesnít need any help selling 60k Corvettes. Yes, I know the price has a range up to 140k, but why would buyers of the ZR1 want a car based on 60k???? Porsche guys do t have that problem, nor do GTR guys. You canít please everyone all the time and GM knows this.
The Corvette has has always been an ďevery mansĒ sports car. It is a $60,000 sports car to start with. The ZR1 is nothing more than a $60,000 sports car with the ZR1 option package that allows it to perform with, if not best, the best in the world. But at its heart it is a Corvette Stingray.

The new Corvette will continue that. It will be an affordable ďevery mansĒ sports car but with option packages to allow it to compete with the best in the world. Anything less would be a step backwards.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:11 PM
falcon5619
CF Senior Member

show me raw sales statistics for how many of what particular C7 models have been sold and ordered by dealers. I bet 90% werenít base coupes in auto.
Here is a breakdown of all the details for 2017. See attached pdf for more details.

Attached Images
The Following User Says Thank You to falcon5619 For This Useful Post:
Supersonic 427 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:14 PM
Nadovedan
CF Senior Member

first, this is not a hand built car. It will never be a hand built car. Second the c7 was going be mid engine until the recession, so itís not some revolutionary idea. Tadge has stated thereís no where left they can take the corvette without moving the engine. . 3rd, itís been pointed out several times of what Chevyís bizz model is with the corvette. 4th, itís not expensive to build a mid engine, unless itís hand built and using materials that are expensive. Last, youíre not making any new arguments that havenít been already stated in other threads. All youíre doing is parroting other opinions as your own.

Last edited by Nadovedan; 11-14-2018 at 04:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadovedan For This Useful Post:
CorvettoBrando (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:23 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

Cayenne, Cayman, 911 aren't hand built either, but they're still expensive. GM will sell the car for whatever they think the market will bear, just like Porsche does. Especially if this is a second car and not a direct replacement for the C7.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90% of all of these theories on here are crazy

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: