Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90% of all of these theories on here are crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 10:10 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

I love it when someone who knows NOTHING, tells all the other guys who know NOTHING, that the NOTHING HE knows is correct, while the NOTHING THEY know is not.
Only on the internet.
The following 3 users liked this post by jimmyb:
JoesC5 (01-09-2019), kozmic (01-09-2019), Stingcan (05-04-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 12:04 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015GTRBE

1. I’m not advocating my own crazy theory it is economics and marketing.
2. I am pretty gifted, it is IQ.
3. You really don’t understand? Makes more sense now.
An acquired taste for some American crow perhaps?
Look at the sales numbers of the C7 the last 5 quarters...
Say it again that they’ll keep trying to sell the C7 alongside the C8 for model year 2020 and 2021.
Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by pietro c7

An acquired taste for some American crow perhaps?
Look at the sales numbers of the C7 the last 5 quarters...
Say it again that they’ll keep trying to sell the C7 alongside the C8 for model year 2020 and 2021.
Always possible that GM has decided to spend $10,000,000 for all new exterior body panels to change the looks(refresh) of the C7, retain most of the car that is under the body panels as is, and call it a C8, then build it along side the mid engine "Zora" and carry on for another 4-5 years.

Last edited by JoesC5; 01-09-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:11 PM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

sorry people, hate to be that guy that pees on a bunch of people’s parades of dreams and fantasies but... some of you need to stop lol. 427s, 60k price tags, 170k sticker, will it have this, will it be hybrid awd... enough!

Here is the only debate.. 1. Will it actually be the “C8” or will it be part of GMs launch of Corvette as its own brand? 2. Who is it’s target competition?

1. If GM plans to target this car as the C8 then I personally think it will have way too many drawbacks and things that are compromises. The Corvette C7 should have gone more up market in its base trim. Unfortunately Corvette has to leave behind some of its old fan base and shoot a bit higher. Everyone complains about the interior or this or that and that is simply because GM continues to make a 60k base car that IMO ruins the bones of the product especially the higher models like ZR1 because it’s based on a 60k car. If GM is smart, they will make this a second model in the Corvette family at a higher price point and give it the budget it deserves and not worry about the lower end market share.. sorry guys. It has to be a GTR competitor and should cost 115-120k to be done right. It should also have the performance to demand the cost.

2. At 60k+.... it’s has no direct competition and if Boxter is it, well that is lame.

Look, it won’t have a 427... all you geezers hoping for a muscle- mid engine hold on to your existing Corvettes. This car is about moving forward not behind. I think a flat plane crank is more realistic and possibly a turbo variant down the road which would be the engine I’d get for mod ability. I finally want a Corvette that doesn’t be have to make excuses for things like poor interior or crappy panel gap etc. The every mans toy can be the Camaro, the Corvette finally needs to grow up.

very well put...
Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
I don't think they'll sell Corvettes at Cadillac dealers either.\
That's where I bought mine. Les Stanford Chevrolet/Cadillac in Dearborn, Michigan.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:30 PM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
I love it when someone who knows NOTHING, tells all the other guys who know NOTHING, that the NOTHING HE knows is correct, while the NOTHING THEY know is not.
Only on the internet.
A subject you can speak to with authority.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 PM
ptran00
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

sorry people, hate to be that guy that pees on a bunch of people’s parades of dreams and fantasies but... some of you need to stop lol. 427s, 60k price tags, 170k sticker, will it have this, will it be hybrid awd... enough!

Here is the only debate.. 1. Will it actually be the “C8” or will it be part of GMs launch of Corvette as its own brand? 2. Who is it’s target competition?

1. If GM plans to target this car as the C8 then I personally think it will have way too many drawbacks and things that are compromises. The Corvette C7 should have gone more up market in its base trim. Unfortunately Corvette has to leave behind some of its old fan base and shoot a bit higher. Everyone complains about the interior or this or that and that is simply because GM continues to make a 60k base car that IMO ruins the bones of the product especially the higher models like ZR1 because it’s based on a 60k car. If GM is smart, they will make this a second model in the Corvette family at a higher price point and give it the budget it deserves and not worry about the lower end market share.. sorry guys. It has to be a GTR competitor and should cost 115-120k to be done right. It should also have the performance to demand the cost.

2. At 60k+.... it’s has no direct competition and if Boxter is it, well that is lame.

Look, it won’t have a 427... all you geezers hoping for a muscle- mid engine hold on to your existing Corvettes. This car is about moving forward not behind. I think a flat plane crank is more realistic and possibly a turbo variant down the road which would be the engine I’d get for mod ability. I finally want a Corvette that doesn’t be have to make excuses for things like poor interior or crappy panel gap etc. The every mans toy can be the Camaro, the Corvette finally needs to grow up.

Even if I could afford to trade my C7 for a C8, I wouldn't because I daily commute my C7 to work, go to Costco and I need its 15 cubic foot trunk. The C8 isn't practical.
The C7 and the C8 buyer are different.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 PM
ptran00
Racer

Originally Posted by Nadovedan

first, this is not a hand built car. It will never be a hand built car. Second the c7 was going be mid engine until the recession, so it’s not some revolutionary idea. Tadge has stated there’s no where left they can take the corvette without moving the engine. . 3rd, it’s been pointed out several times of what Chevy’s bizz model is with the corvette. 4th, it’s not expensive to build a mid engine, unless it’s hand built and using materials that are expensive. Last, you’re not making any new arguments that haven’t been already stated in other threads. All you’re doing is parroting other opinions as your own.
I thought that ME cars are harder to service, often requiring Porsche to drop the engine in order to service it. Thus, the high maintenance service costs. So wouldn't a ME Corvette C8 incur higher maintenance prices if its engine has to be dropped?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:56 PM
ptran00
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom73

They may be electric in 20 years but you will not be allowed to drive them. By then it will be self driving cars and car services. Enjoy driving while you can.
I drive a manual C7, so computers will never take away my driving fun.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:11 PM
ptran00
Racer

Originally Posted by Michael A
The AWD is to improve acceleration, and reduce oversteer, rather than make the car suitable for snowy roads.
AWD has the disadvantage of a big turning radius.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:26 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
A subject you can speak to with authority.
A little slow there, hot shot. I posted that over 3 months ago.
Don't you have some SAE papers to talk about?
Or why an SBC and DCT won't work together?

Last edited by jimmyb; 04-16-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
I give Porsche engineering a lot of credit for making a poor rear engine design into a great handling car. When I had my modified '67 Corvair Porsches of the era had the same oversteer issues! With essentially one hand tied behind their back the engineers have evolved a great car. When they finally put the engine in the middle just imagine what they can do!
They already did it with the 6 cylinder Boxster/Cayman, but horsepower was limited to avoid stepping on the 911's toes. The move of these cars to 4 cylinder was partly for the same reason, I think.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:49 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

^^^
The reason for the lower power Boxster/Cayman is not to mess with the "must be a rear engine" funny looking 911! Recall when they introduced the 928 that was to replace the 911 as it was losing money being made in a multilevel factory using old German skilled labor production techniques. The "old time customers" mostly in the US, were very upset. They put in another Pres, from the US as I recall, and they hired Toyota Engineering to devise efficient manufacturing. They raised the price and sales of the 911 continued! I recall soon after they announced they had use titanium for some rear members to provide a better weight balance! But one of the car mags caught them putting lead in the front bumper! NOT good for low polar moment of inertia!

Although they have modified the shape, when I see a 911 I always think of what my Pop said about my 1st car, a '41 Ford Opera Coupe. He said it looked like and upside-down wheelbarrow!

What is ironic is Dr. Porsche knew the right place for performance was ME. He worked on the successful German race cars in the 1930's, all MEs. In 1948 he built the 1st 356 as an ME (pic below!) However the transaxle and tube chassis were too costly for that time in recovering Germany! He wound up building the production cars from essentially mostly VW parts with it's rear engine! Porsche has had serval ME race cars. Last year we visited the US Porsche Race Team in Rock Hill SC. We saw 911 race cars being built on none extended chassis as ME's! The engine fit in the small rear seat! Just like as they went to water cooling, it's just a matter of time before the 911 will be a ME!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-24-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 08:24 AM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
The reason for the lower power Boxster/Cayman is not to mess with the "must be a rear engine" funny looking 911! Recall when they introduced the 928 that was to replace the 911 as it was losing money being made in a multilevel factory using old German skilled labor production techniques. The "old time customers" mostly in the US, were very upset. They put in another Pres, from the US as I recall, and they hired Toyota Engineering to devise efficient manufacturing. They raised the price and sales of the 911 continued! I recall soon after they announced they had use titanium for some rear members to provide a better weight balance! But one of the car mags caught them putting lead in the front bumper! NOT good for low polar moment of inertia!

Although they have modified the shape, when I see a 911 I always think of what my Pop said about my 1st car, a '41 Ford Opera Coupe. He said it looked like and upside-down wheelbarrow!

What is ironic is Dr. Porsche knew the right place for performance was ME. He worked on the successful German race cars in the 1930's, all MEs. In 1948 he built the 1st 356 as an ME (pic below!) However the transaxle and tube chassis were too costly for that time in recovering Germany! He wound up building the production cars from essentially mostly VW parts with it's rear engine! Porsche has had serval ME race cars. Last year we visited the US Porsche Race Team in Rock Hill SC. We saw 911 race cars being built on none extended chassis as ME's! The engine fit in the small rear seat! Just like as they went to water cooling, it's just a matter of time before the 911 will be a ME!
By the way, at least at one point Cayman/Boxster used the same front end structure as 911, I believe. I'll bet that still is the case, but I haven't seen reports of it recetly.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:37 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

{Wrong thread, delete]

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 05-02-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:42 PM
MaryAnnB
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 54 Posts

2. Corvette has more compromised than just interior, but for decades that has been one of many glaring Corvette disappointments. Hell, I own a C5 I know first hand. The C7 is better, however I wouldn’t say it’s a nicer place to be than many other cars that even cost less or the same.
I don't know what you are talking about really. The interior of C7 is as good as it gets (We have 3LT). Everything is as good as it gets (well, maybe not the Cormaro lights). We did not want to get Huracan because we would be seriously downgrading our ride. Here is my review: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594510232

The tech you have in Vette.. you will get after 10 years in Lambo.

This is a fine car in its class. Never given us any problems.

I have seen the interiors of many cars when C7 came out (Lambo, Ferrari, Range Rover, X6, Grand Cherokee SRT). The only interior better than Vette was Forsha Cayenne Turbo. Hell, this year I looked at Ferrari Portofino and still C7 was better.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:57 PM
gtmalone
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

To the OP's reference of a 427, is this what you're thinking? Nothing like the sound of a big block Chevy! Or a small block Chevy!

Get notified of new replies

To 90% of all of these theories on here are crazy

Old 05-04-2019, 05:10 PM
fioranosportscars
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well... I’ve said it many times ... Corvette should of branched out long time ago and made different models.. just like Ferrari ,
Corvette already have their own logo... I say Ferrari cause I think they are the ultimate brand and history in its class which I think that’s what corvette should be aiming for.. I am a Ferrari and Corvette guy ... lets go C8 ZORA
Old 05-04-2019, 06:25 PM
mustclime
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Super excited about the 2.5L turbo iron duke motor for the c8!
Old 05-04-2019, 06:51 PM
Stingcan
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you seen the interiors of 60k infinity or BMW's or other luxury cars. 60k can get you a nice interior.
The following users liked this post:
firstvettesoon (05-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 90% of all of these theories on here are crazy