Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory PPF

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:58 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Factory PPF

I’ve seen Porsche 911’s with factory PPF covering nearly the entire car. It would be nice if Chevy allowed that as an option on the c8 or even the C7.

How great would that be?id have paid for it

Old 11-14-2018, 04:15 PM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

A factory PPF car cover? Sure, lots of cars come with a car cover. What is PPF?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:21 PM
jamesampm
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

the dealers around here offer free ceramic coatings when you purchase a Corvette. I've seen people with both a ceramic and PPF if that's what you want, I guess
Old 11-14-2018, 04:49 PM
suppdawg
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
I’ve seen Porsche 911’s with factory PPF covering nearly the entire car. It would be nice if Chevy allowed that as an option on the c8 or even the C7.

Where have you seen this? On Rennlist the guys always complain that they cannot pick up their cars in Germany with PPF and end of getting chips while they are driving around there. Other than the rear haunch before the rear wheel I don't know of any other factory covered areas of any Porsche.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:56 PM
rip74
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 50 Posts

Are you sure it wasn't a dealer add on? The local Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships offer PPF packages on new cars, but they don't come from the factory that way. I haven't seen a PPF option on the Porsche 911 configurator online either.

Regardless, I would be a buyer for factory installed PPF. Most of my C7 Grand Sport is wrapped in Xpel, it works great.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:13 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
A factory PPF car cover? Sure, lots of cars come with a car cover. What is PPF?
PPF = Paint Protection Film

I'm pretty sure no manufacturer installs it at the factory. It would be too easy to damage it in shipping. Most high-end dealers have arrangements with local installers.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:21 PM
suppdawg
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

I'm pretty sure no manufacturer installs it at the factory. It would be too easy to damage it in shipping. Most high-end dealers have arrangements with local installers.

I think there would be three major barriers to PPF happening at the factory, first the paint is still curing which is not a good time to cover it with PPF, even with factory heat booths the paint is not fully cured for some time which is one of the reasons they put that temporary white film on because a bird dropping can burn through the clear and paint. Second is the time it would take to do this in a factory environment would not likely be efficient and bottlenecks are the enemy of profitability and efficiency. Third is PPF is becoming a significant source of dealer profits, there is already a lot of push back from dealers over the difficulty in turning reasonable profits so I don't see the factory taking away a labor intensive, low margin (most likely for the factory because of labor) profit center from the dealers.

Personally I only want tint and PPF from the guy I use for every car, I trust him, he does great work and if I ever have an issue he resolves it immediately without argument or debate.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-15-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:48 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Suppdawg, good point on paint curing issue, which I hadn't thought of when I first saw this thread. While technically paint is "cured" at the factory, every paint expert I've spoken with over the years recommends 60-90 days after paint before considering a PPF application.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:36 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rip74
Are you sure it wasn't a dealer add on? The local Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships offer PPF packages on new cars, but they don't come from the factory that way. I haven't seen a PPF option on the Porsche 911 configurator online either.

Regardless, I would be a buyer for factory installed PPF. Most of my C7 Grand Sport is wrapped in Xpel, it works great.
that could very well be what I have seen.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:40 AM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Porsche does it for European Delivery. Go YT and watch the video. I just did.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:30 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by suppdawg
I think there would be three major barriers to PPF happening at the factory, first the paint is still curing which is not a good time to cover it with PPF, even with factory heat booths the paint is not fully cured for some time which is one of the reasons they put that temporary white film on because a bird dropping can burn through the clear and paint. Second is the time it would take to do this in a factory environment would not likely be efficient and bottlenecks are the enemy of profitability and efficiency. Third is PPF is becoming a significant source of dealer profits, there is already a lot of push back from dealers over the difficulty in turning reasonable profits so I don't see the factory taking away a labor intensive, low margin (most likely for the factory because of labor) profit center from the dealers.

Personally I only want tint and PPF from the guy I use for every car, I trust him, he does great work and if I ever have an issue he resolves it immediately without argument or debate.
Good point on not being able to add PPF while paint is curing. I would think that they could still add ceramic coating while the paint is curing? Seems more efficient to ceramic coat as part of the painting process, that way the car (even a brand new car) doesn't need a full detail prior to ceramic coating, which is most of the labor cost when getting a ceramic coating at the dealer/owner taking it somewhere after delivery.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Love it.
Clear coat was applied to protect the paint. Then PPF was developed to protect the clear coat. But wait! Now we have ceramic coating to protect the PPF.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:44 AM
RapidC84B
Team Owner

Received 13,153 Likes on 5,984 Posts

1. Paint has to cure.

2. PPF takes great attention to detail and wouldn't want factory workers doing it.
Old 11-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Love it.
Clear coat was applied to protect the paint. Then PPF was developed to protect the clear coat. But wait! Now we have ceramic coating to protect the PPF.
The primary purpose of PPF is to protect against rock chips.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:12 AM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

Former Vette owner here who still likes to see what's going on here. Bought a new 18 Lexus back in Dec. and mine came with 3M PPF from the factory, [ I think] on the front of hood and partial fenders. It is a $425 option from Lexus with the "L" logo stamped into the film. It's printed right on the factory window sticker, [not additional print from the dealer] Still a mystery as to when the film was installed, at factory,at port or at dealer. The film quality is terrible compared to the additional Expel I had installed. Don't know what version the 3M is but, I'd never have 3M on any car of mine compared to Expel.
Old 11-16-2018, 03:09 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If there were a dealer who offered the option of a full body application by subbing it out, there’d be a healthy profi margin.

Get notified of new replies

To Factory PPF

Quick Reply: Factory PPF