Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 10:02 PM
dexterkatt
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Tuning

I spoke to a tuner and he mentioned that one of the tuner forums threads was concerning aftermarket tuning the C8.
Supposedly GM has some extra locks on the the computer. Anyone know anything about this?
Old 11-14-2018, 10:39 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

The LT5 is still waiting to be “cracked.” GM has been progressing locking down its ECU and more for years, and while skilled tuners got into the LT4, unless done recently, I am not aware of any getting into the LT5 (which has more sophicated anti-hacks).
The following 2 users liked this post by elegant:
ArmchairArchitect (11-15-2018), ByByBMW (11-21-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM
Zaro Tundov
Drifting

Received 1,039 Likes on 554 Posts

The encryption on my ATS's TCM required me to send it to HPTuners to have it physically modified before I could have it tuned.

I expect the C8 will be similarly locked down, especially on the twin turbo variants. Imagine GM's losses on warranty repairs if C8 owners will be able to pay internet tuner dudes to jack the boost on their engines for an extra 200 hp. And these will be totally new engine designs for which GM has little real world data.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the C8 phone home to tell GM whenever a PCM/TCM is flashed or removed from the car.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaro Tundov
The encryption on my ATS's TCM required me to send it to HPTuners to have it physically modified before I could have it tuned.

I expect the C8 will be similarly locked down, especially on the twin turbo variants. Imagine GM's losses on warranty repairs if C8 owners will be able to pay internet tuner dudes to jack the boost on their engines for an extra 200 hp. And these will be totally new engine designs for which GM has little real world data.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have the C8 phone home to tell GM whenever a PCM/TCM is flashed or removed from the car.
Happy medium: GM should allow the computer locks/restrictions to be removed once the warranty is over.

Either automatically once the car hits a certain age/mileage, or manually at the dealer (or through an over the air software update).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 11-15-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 11:50 AM
BillY2KFRC
Le Mans Master

Received 347 Likes on 192 Posts

I've been watching the ZR1 forum closely and it is very discouraging to see how the ECU has yet to be hacked. I currently have a 2015 Z06 and almost bought a ZR1. For the time being I'm playing with my Z06 and waiting to see how the C8 plays out before I decide what to get next. But while many of the owners here on the forum are perfectly happy with a stock car, for me, a good part of my enjoyment comes from modding and tuning my car. Even if the C8 Z06 is an 800hp TT beast, I'll still want to throw on some downpipes and turn up the boost. Is that really dumb? Yes, obviously it is, but buying cars like this isn't about being smart, it's about having fun. So I, for one, will be hoping the aftermarket finds a way to tune these new GM cars. But it isn't looking too promising right now.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:14 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Motec to the rescue
Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchAlsup
Motec to the rescue
Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Tuner in Tampa

The aftermarket calibration strategies are getting more complex and the cost for aftermarket calibrating is getting VERY expensive.
C5 and C6 are pretty easy with a skilled calibrator. I have an unlimited HP Tuners interface for those. 2015 and newer, we have to license each vehicle separately, and several modules separately that adds to the cost. C7 slightly more skill needed, but not much harder on the engine side. Transmissions are getting more complex.

2015 Dodge computers need to be removed and encrypted. read this > https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Information%29

The GM Transmissions 8 and 10 speed 2017 and newer need the same process. Read this > https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Now-Supported!

Just give HP Tuners a little more time and they will be a work around to have access to the ZR1 computer.The hardest part of calibrating is staying up with changing technology.

Guys get sticker shock when I give them a price on a 2017 and newer GM vehicle.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tampa Tuning:
ByByBMW (11-21-2018), Shaka (11-16-2018), Zaro Tundov (11-16-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 08:08 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Actually, under these conditions, warranty losses would be zero if GM sets the computer to be flagged if any tampering is done or if any set factory parameters are exceeded with a piggyback unit.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:13 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

The ZR1 has a small foot print so little incentive. The c8 will be cracked within months of release.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Hackers will probably always find a way in, but the days of hiding the fingerprints of being there are gone. Thus, any ECM altered from OEM will result in powertrain warranty blockage, and there won't be any warranty costs to the OEM.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning

Quick Reply: Tuning