Eight Weeks - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eight Weeks

Old 11-15-2018, 01:15 PM
  #1  
RonnieC6Z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Posts: 968
Thanked 166 Times in 49 Posts
Default Eight Weeks

The NAIAS show in Detroit is eight weeks away. For quite a while, my thinking has been that the ME C8 would be introduced in Detroit in January of 2019. There were four points that led me to think this way. 1. Most new generation Corvettes have been introduced at the Detroit show. 2. The 2018 C7 model year was shortened so that the 2019 C7 model year could begin early, at the beginning of 2018, and continue until early 2019. 3. Closing the factory tours from June of 2017 (if I remember correctly) to January of 2019 suggested that the ME C8 would be introduced by the time the factory tours began again. 4. When I was at the L..A. Auto show in November of 2016 I met a lady who worked for Chevy in Detroit. Her job was PR/marketing for Corvette & Camaro. We spoke for about 20 minutes and had a great conversation.. (she thought it was cool that I have owned 11 Vettes) She had nothing to say about the ME C8 other than to say that if things progressed as planned, Detroit in 2019 would PROBABLY be it.
(I am also convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that the front engine Corvette will be produced for, at most, 2 years after the introduction of the ME C8, and probably less than that, but keep in mid that is just my opinion). All of the above being said, I am extremely surprised that, since the 2019 show is just 8 weeks away, GM has not said one word about the introduction of the 2020 ME C8 Corvette, and not one definitive word from usually spot on sources such as Jalopnik. . That in itself makes me wonder. Hmmmmmm?
RonnieC6Z is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 01:25 PM
  #2  
Supersonic 427
CF Senior Member
 
Supersonic 427's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 4,603
Thanked 544 Times in 332 Posts
Default

Yeah, many of us are chomping at the bit for real news on the C8. So far, everything is just speculation on price, engine, transmission, etc.etc. If they do announce that the C8 will be unveiled at the NAIAS show in Detroit...I will be there!
Supersonic 427 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 01:26 PM
  #3  
Michael A
CF Senior Member
 
Michael A's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Ventura County CA
Posts: 3,959
Thanked 188 Times in 128 Posts
Default

Maybe they are having problems, and it is going to be delayed.
Michael A is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:28 PM
  #4  
TnRZ06
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2014
Location: Stratford Ontario
Posts: 222
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I am hoping for a Detroit reveal as I can make it to that show. But I can't help thinking it would be interesting if they did a ME Cadillac this year and waited a year to do a Corvette lol. I don't think a lot of people would survive the wait lol. In my opinion if they miss the Detroit show then the C8 will be starting as a failure especially if its because they are having problems. They have come so far with the Corvette it would be a shame if they started to go backwards on quality. They have put themselves in a spot where they are being compared to much more expensive cars. I used to hate how the media always put down the quality of the C3 comparing it to expensive cars and expecting high end quality on a shoe string budget.I still feel the ME is going to be epic for GM.
TnRZ06 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:34 PM
  #5  
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member
 
ImpliedConsent's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 573
Thanked 158 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z View Post
(I am also convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that the front engine Corvette will be produced for, at most, 2 years after the introduction of the ME C8, and probably less than that, but keep in mid that is just my opinion).
The problem with the FE theory is that we've seen zero evidence of one being produced. We have plenty of ME mules that are probably rendered correctly, but not one FE.
ImpliedConsent is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ImpliedConsent For This Useful Post:
Olnavy (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 02:49 PM
  #6  
CRABBYJ
CF Senior Member
 
CRABBYJ's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2004
Location: SouthEast PA
Posts: 2,803
Thanked 249 Times in 161 Posts
2018 C7 of Year Finalist
Default

Originally Posted by ImpliedConsent View Post
The problem with the FE theory is that we've seen zero evidence of one being produced. We have plenty of ME mules that are probably rendered correctly, but not one FE.
Did we see any C7 Grand Sport Camo mules running around before their intro? IMO, along with some others, the FE could continue as a a C7 with its same technology, or almost the same, with a major body panel upgrade as a final limited year ‘Special Edition’ before the FE is retired, for now. Obviously, I have no evidence to back this up.
CRABBYJ is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:58 PM
  #7  
RonnieC6Z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Posts: 968
Thanked 166 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TnRZ06 View Post
I am hoping for a Detroit reveal as I can make it to that show. But I can't help thinking it would be interesting if they did a ME Cadillac this year and waited a year to do a Corvette lol. I don't think a lot of people would survive the wait lol. In my opinion if they miss the Detroit show then the C8 will be starting as a failure especially if its because they are having problems. They have come so far with the Corvette it would be a shame if they started to go backwards on quality. They have put themselves in a spot where they are being compared to much more expensive cars. I used to hate how the media always put down the quality of the C3 comparing it to expensive cars and expecting high end quality on a shoe string budget.I still feel the ME is going to be epic for GM.
I have also heard speculation that the ME C8 will be introduced in April at the NYC show, which is also one of the major shows in the US each year. This could be true if GM is having delays with the C8. We will know if it is Detroit, NYC or later in the next 2-5 months.
RonnieC6Z is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 03:13 PM
  #8  
elegant
CF Senior Member
 
elegant's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 2,764
Thanked 1,392 Times in 683 Posts
Default

1) NO development problems are being experienced at this time.
2) Production of customer 2020 ME Corvettes
is going as originally scheduled;
3) It will stay on that track regardless of whether the reveal is Detroit in mid-January, or New York in mid-April.
4) If you can afford a 2019 medium-level Grand Sport, you can afford an entry 2020 ME Corvette.

Last edited by elegant; 11-15-2018 at 03:14 PM.
elegant is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to elegant For This Useful Post:
fasttoys (11-15-2018), Foosh (11-17-2018), JerryU (11-18-2018), range96 (11-15-2018), Steven Bell (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 03:18 PM
  #9  
*C7*
CF Senior Member
 
*C7*'s Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,086
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default

Originally Posted by elegant View Post
1) NO development problems are being experienced at this time.
2) Production of customer 2020 ME Corvettes
is going as originally scheduled;
3) It will stay on that track regardless of whether the reveal is Detroit in mid-January, or New York in mid-April.
4) If you can afford a 2019 medium-level Grand Sport, you can afford an entry 2020 ME Corvette.

There, that's what we want to hear.
*C7* is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 03:29 PM
  #10  
pietro c7
CF Senior Member
 
pietro c7's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2013
Location: montreal quebec
Posts: 883
Thanks: 0
Thanked 174 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by elegant View Post
1) NO development problems are being experienced at this time.
2) Production of customer 2020 ME Corvettes
is going as originally scheduled;
3) It will stay on that track regardless of whether the reveal is Detroit in mid-January, or New York in mid-April.
4) If you can afford a 2019 medium-level Grand Sport, you can afford an entry 2020 ME Corvette.
This man knows where it’s at...
Thanks elegant.
pietro c7 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:01 PM
  #11  
sunsalem
CF Senior Member
 
sunsalem's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,939
Thanked 1,286 Times in 976 Posts
Default

If it is to revealed in Detroit in Jan., I continue to be amazed no details that can be unimpeachably confirmed has really leaked yet.
Considering all of the interest out there, it is some pretty astonishing security IMO.

Last edited by sunsalem; 11-15-2018 at 04:02 PM.
sunsalem is online now  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:09 PM
  #12  
Corvette 1467
CF Member
 
Corvette 1467's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2017
Posts: 52
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z View Post
The NAIAS show in Detroit is eight weeks away. For quite a while, my thinking has been that the ME C8 would be introduced in Detroit in January of 2019. There were four points that led me to think this way. 1. Most new generation Corvettes have been introduced at the Detroit show. 2. The 2018 C7 model year was shortened so that the 2019 C7 model year could begin early, at the beginning of 2018, and continue until early 2019. 3. Closing the factory tours from June of 2017 (if I remember correctly) to January of 2019 suggested that the ME C8 would be introduced by the time the factory tours began again. 4. When I was at the L..A. Auto show in November of 2016 I met a lady who worked for Chevy in Detroit. Her job was PR/marketing for Corvette & Camaro. We spoke for about 20 minutes and had a great conversation.. (she thought it was cool that I have owned 11 Vettes) She had nothing to say about the ME C8 other than to say that if things progressed as planned, Detroit in 2019 would PROBABLY be it.
(I am also convinced beyond any shadow of a doubt that the front engine Corvette will be produced for, at most, 2 years after the introduction of the ME C8, and probably less than that, but keep in mid that is just my opinion). All of the above being said, I am extremely surprised that, since the 2019 show is just 8 weeks away, GM has not said one word about the introduction of the 2020 ME C8 Corvette, and not one definitive word from usually spot on sources such as Jalopnik. . That in itself makes me wonder. Hmmmmmm?
I 100% agree and hope the only suspicious thing is GM changed the plant opening from January to “2019”

You can try to fool us GM but we’re crazy enough to notice!

Last edited by Corvette 1467; 11-15-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Corvette 1467 is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:14 PM
  #13  
ImpliedConsent
CF Senior Member
 
ImpliedConsent's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2017
Location: Colorado
Posts: 573
Thanked 158 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CRABBYJ View Post
Did we see any C7 Grand Sport Camo mules running around before their intro? IMO, along with some others, the FE could continue as a a C7 with its same technology, or almost the same, with a major body panel upgrade as a final limited year ‘Special Edition’ before the FE is retired, for now. Obviously, I have no evidence to back this up.
Apples/Oranges with your GS example. That within MY and it's not a stretch to put a Z06 body on a Stingray. Keeping the C7 going as an FE would not be a stretch, but FE C8? That's a lot more tooling than I think GM wants to do. Yep, I'm with 'ya. All (fun) speculation.
ImpliedConsent is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 04:24 PM
  #14  
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member
 
TBIRD57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,967
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by sunsalem View Post
If it is to revealed in Detroit in Jan., I continue to be amazed no details that can be unimpeachably confirmed has really leaked yet.
Considering all of the interest out there, it is some pretty astonishing security IMO.
I agree, especially since just about everything else gets leaked or hacked1
TBIRD57 is online now  
Old 11-15-2018, 05:18 PM
  #15  
4VFTW
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 130
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

So $73k MSRP for an entry ME?
4VFTW is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 05:48 PM
  #16  
1985 Corvette
CF Senior Member
 
1985 Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2004
Location: Jacksonville Florida
Posts: 4,234
Thanks: 0
Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
Default

The C7 ZR was debute in the ME right? Considering a mid engine Corvette is a whole other level, I can honestly see this not being at the Detroit show and instead abroad in Europe as a reveal.
1985 Corvette is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:29 PM
  #17  
RonnieC6Z
CF Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Apr 2006
Posts: 968
Thanked 166 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1985 Corvette View Post
The C7 ZR was debute in the ME right? Considering a mid engine Corvette is a whole other level, I can honestly see this not being at the Detroit show and instead abroad in Europe as a reveal.
The first C7, like many of its predecessors, debuted in Detroit. The C7 ZR1 is a later generation C7.
RonnieC6Z is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:50 PM
  #18  
C8soon
CF Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2018
Posts: 56
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Funny, but when a few people post I seem to take it like gospel. And Elegant is one of those.
I believe totally.
C8soon is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C8soon For This Useful Post:
elegant (11-15-2018), rcooper (11-17-2018), TnRZ06 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:10 PM
  #19  
LouieM
CF Senior Member
 
LouieM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2002
Location: NorCal CA
Posts: 6,813
Thanked 212 Times in 163 Posts
Default

A dealer rep spoke at our Corvette club the other night and stated that the reveal had originally been planned for Detroit in January, but it got delayed until April, so that would give the C8 a New York auto show debut. Makes sense, given the lack of info about a Detroit reveal at this late date.
LouieM is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 PM
  #20  
Steven Bell
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Steven Bell's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2013
Location: Kansas City, Missouri
Posts: 16,134
Thanked 3,371 Times in 2,126 Posts
St. Jude Donor'15
Default

Originally Posted by elegant View Post
1) NO development problems are being experienced at this time.
2) Production of customer 2020 ME Corvettes
is going as originally scheduled;
3) It will stay on that track regardless of whether the reveal is Detroit in mid-January, or New York in mid-April.
4) If you can afford a 2019 medium-level Grand Sport, you can afford an entry 2020 ME Corvette.


I really hope you guys are listening.....listening closely too.
Steven Bell is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven Bell For This Useful Post:
elegant (11-17-2018)

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: