Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has The C8 Been Cancelled? I mean.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:05 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Said it before, but if you want the best C8 price, get your deposit AND ROTATION TURN in the hands of a Kerbeck/Criswell/MacMulkin. If you wait around, even a few months, you're going to be paying more for it. Once your Chev. sales rep. learns the initial options to choose on ordering for you, your order goes into GM. If you're hemming and hawing about the ZO6, then history dictates you're not going to be in on the first few months of ordered C8s anyway. Buy early, pay less.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 11-17-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:11 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I disagree. The best strategy is being patient enough to wait a year or so. If history repeats itself, BGA will build 40K or more units in the first MY as they did with the '14 C7, there will be adequate supply, and discounting will begin by the end of MY 1.

I custom ordered and took delivery of a new C7 recently for that very reason, waiting until at least year 2 . That's assuming that I do love the new car, and the jury is not in on that.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-17-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,075 Likes on 6,173 Posts

Joe, you must be smoking some strong stuff. Your comment is only true if you just have to get one early in the first year (and even then your comment is questionable). Yes, it is likely the dealers you mention will be selling for MSRP and will have many more allocations than most other dealers. There will be a lot of "local" dealers that will add a dealer markup. Many will pay those inflated prices just to "have it now". However, if you are a little more patient, you will definitely be able to buy them below MSRP. Heck, I got thousands off my C7 that I ordered in February of 2013 about 3 weeks after the reveal. You just gotta shop around and be smart.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
CorvetteBrent (11-18-2018), JoesC5 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 06:40 PM
vetteman41960
Burning Brakes

Received 1,051 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Reference numbers have never been based on things like the deep C7 discounts (15-20%) currently available at big forum dealers like Criswell, Kerbeck, and MacMulkin. The ME numbers thrown around here are MSRP-based. Multiple inside sources have used numbers like within approximately 10% of MSRP price of the current base car. Obviously, the word "approximate" leaves some wiggle room

I think what Elegant was saying is you can purchase a mid-level and deeply discounted GS today for about what the starting base MSRP ME car will be, according to multiple inside sources. A starting MSRP between $65-70K is the best educated guess. Pricing isn't locked in and probably won't be for months, but there are very strong indications that's the GM target.

Like Elegant, I will not burn my source either, and you can believe me or not. I don't care either way.
In one paragraph you clearly state that not even GM has a handle on pricing yet.

But then you sight Your Source in next paragraph and believe that the price of 65k to 70k.

Funny all you guys with these claim sources sound like CNN news personal and their supposed sources.

I believe that GM has some idea of the price point.

I also believe that will be determined by if the C7 goes out of production immediately upon start up of C8 production. If that the case GOOD BUSINESS sense would keep the price increase close to historic price increase model to model.

Now if the C8 is an added vehicle to the Corvette line up then that thinking goes out the window.

Who would buy a C7 platform going on 7 years old if you can buy the latest greatest mid engine Corvette even if priced within 10k of the C7.

I find it funny that people somehow think that GM top of line sports car must sell in the 60k range.

Hell GM sell hundreds of thousands of pickup and many of those have higher MSRP that a C7 Stingray.

I hope GM continuea to build and sell an inexpensive C7 and that for once GM build a no excuses Corvette that does not need * by it to state it is a great car for the money.

How about GM build a no excuse Corvette that just say it a great sport car period.

If its competition is the 911 and the 911 with minimal option out the door is over a 100k then GM could build a NO EXCUSE Corvette mid engine and sell it for 90k and still be 10% less expensive than a 911.

I for one don't want to buy a Corvette Mid engine ZR1 Price north of 150k which it will be based on a car that start out at 60k and is full of compromises to satisfy the guy looking for a barging basement supercar.

Would be nice to see what GM could really build if it was not held to stupidly low entry price and also have folk who are buying a sports car demand enough storage for golf clubs.

Just one I want to see Corvette / American made super car without the * stating what a good car it is for the money.

Rant over!!!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:01 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Foosh
I disagree. The best strategy is being patient enough to wait a year or so. If history repeats itself, BGA will build 40K or more units in the first MY as they did with the '14 C7, there will be adequate supply, and discounting will begin by the end of MY 1.

I custom ordered and took delivery of a new C7 recently for that very reason, waiting until at least year 2 . That's assuming that I do love the new car, and the jury is not in on that.
My strategy as well price and reliability being acceptable. Still on the fence until I see the car in person. Pictures can be very deceiving.
Old 11-18-2018, 07:41 AM
hunter105
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 63 Posts

. The new C8 will be introduced at the NY Auto show in late March early April. Also as I have been told the Cadillac mid engine will also be unveiled. So I have mentioned this in past posts I AM SURE THE BASHING WILL START but this is 100% TRUTH!!!!!!!!. Some in this post say the base model will be around the same price as a entry level Grand Sport. WRONG!!!!!! The base C8 will start between $63000 to $65000 TRUTH.

Last edited by hunter105; 11-18-2018 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:34 AM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by hunter105
. The new C8 will be introduced at the NY Auto show in late March early April.
Since the NY Auto Show has been on the calendar for April 19-28, 2019 for more than 2 years - the C8 reveal cannot both be in late March-early April and at the NY Auto Show. I am betting it is at the NY Auto Show on April 19th, which will also allow a quick but really thorough follow up by the Corvette team at the BASH, which is April 25-27, 2019 at the NCM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:44 AM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

. The new C8 will be introduced at the NY Auto show in late March early April. Also as I have been told the Cadillac mid engine will also be unveiled. So I have mentioned this in past posts I AM SURE THE BASHING WILL START but this is 100% TRUTH!!!!!!!!. Some in this post say the base model will be around the same price as a entry level Grand Sport. WRONG!!!!!! The base C8 will start between $63000 to $65000 TRUTH.
Your splitting hairs Hunter...The final pricing decision will be made according to positioning of this new Corvette,and of course costing.Anything between
63000 and 71000$ makes plenty of sense.

You won’t get any bashing from me,once I get my base C8(and yes...with a stick shift)They could brand engineer the Corvette into a Cadillac all they want .
Its definitely not impossible ...my opinion ,a convertible vette should be a ragtop,...,if that hard-top convertible we’ve seen in camo is badged Cadillac,I wouldn’t be shocked.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:58 AM
Shaka
Safety Car

Received 1,331 Likes on 790 Posts

Mmmnnn. Interesting. Will they have different shapes? Will the Zora have the highest HP? Will golf clubs fit into the Caddy? Please God, let this be.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:05 AM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 1,975 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Since the NY Auto Show has been on the calendar for April 19-28, 2019 for more than 2 years - the C8 reveal cannot both be in late March-early April and at the NY Auto Show. I am betting it is at the NY Auto Show on April 19th, which will also allow a quick but really thorough follow up by the Corvette team at the BASH, which is April 25-27, 2019 at the NCM.
In some years, the New York auto show starts in late March. It will be in April in 2019. One and the same.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:38 AM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaka
Mmmnnn. Interesting. Will they have different shapes? Will the Zora have the highest HP? Will golf clubs fit into the Caddy? Please God, let this be.
I do not understand why someone would buy a Cadillac mid-engine sports car. Who would be the buyer of this? The problem with Cadillac is they just don't have much prestige in the marketplace. It's built by GM, so the quality is terrible. People don't like the hard edged Arts and Science styling. The interiors look cheap. Then Cadillac puts in the abominable Cadillac Que, which I hear has FINALLY been given the ax (I hope). They have a wrecking yard full of failed brands (ELR, XLR, Allante, Cimmaron, etc.).

GM absolutely does not know how to run a luxury car division.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:35 PM
flyforfun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

I hope not cancelled. I want the new C8 to be all ME, no FE ever produced after 2019 model year and no ME will ever have a manual!
Old 11-18-2018, 10:50 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51VetteFan
$20,000 just seems like a huge bump in price, for a base model. Unless GM just plans on completely distancing itself from the Camaro. Which I would say, making the Corvette an ME, does just that. But, $20,000 more, for a base. Wheew...
With the camaro looking the way it looks now, it will not exist in a few years. Sure it is a great car, but it will not sell unless it has a major overhaul very soon.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 PM
pietro c7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,157 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by flyforfun
I hope not cancelled. I want the new C8 to be all ME, no FE ever produced after 2019 model year and no ME will ever have a manual!
Why?
Once you get the one or ones you want,what difference does what else is produced make to you?
Old 11-19-2018, 11:29 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteman41960
In one paragraph you clearly state that not even GM has a handle on pricing yet.

But then you sight Your Source in next paragraph and believe that the price of 65k to 70k.

Funny all you guys with these claim sources sound like CNN news personal and their supposed sources.
No, go back and read what you quoted me on. I called it an "educated GUESS" based on the approximate 10% number being leaked by insiders. I know and have personally spoken to one of them, and this person absolutely is in a position to know how GM hopes to price the car at this stage of development. Sometimes guesses are right, sometimes wrong, and sometimes early pricing projections get changed.

I have consistently been among the first to say that we're all just speculating. Nothing will be official until GM makes a formal pricing announcement.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-19-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:29 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Joe, you must be smoking some strong stuff. Your comment is only true if you just have to get one early in the first year (and even then your comment is questionable). Yes, it is likely the dealers you mention will be selling for MSRP and will have many more allocations than most other dealers. There will be a lot of "local" dealers that will add a dealer markup. Many will pay those inflated prices just to "have it now". However, if you are a little more patient, you will definitely be able to buy them below MSRP. Heck, I got thousands off my C7 that I ordered in February of 2013 about 3 weeks after the reveal. You just gotta shop around and be smart.
I don't know what I was thinking. Of course the C8 will be priced at MSRP right off the reel. Even the big forum dealers will be cashing in.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:34 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Mike Furman went public Sunday with a "$65K-$70K," prediction. That might be the inside source some had mentioned prior to Mike's Sunday thread post.

Quick Reply: Has The C8 Been Cancelled? I mean.....