Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base C8 Priced As Moderately Equipped Grand Sport? Big Disappointment!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 09:27 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by MVPJEFF106
That's apples to oranges. Those cars did not have the power/weight ratios, federal safety standards, modern day technology or interior refinement. To build a mid-engine they have to re-engineer almost every major system in the vehicle to fit that platform. There will be hardly any carryover in parts that has happened in previous generations with little refinement from generation to generation.
Ok. Then How about the Porsche Cayman?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:38 PM
MikeG37
Drifting

Received 756 Likes on 351 Posts

The first C7 test mules sporting C6 bodies were spotted 16 months before its 1/13/13 reveal.

The first mid-engine mules were spotted 46 months ago. They've got an enormous amount of development $ to recover.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:53 PM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Here we go again!

If history is any indication and if the C8 starts at $75K it would still be the steal of the century based on looks and performance and undercut the competition in price. I just want a no excuse Corvette that does not indicate cost cutting in some areas and GM can charge whatever reasonably they want. If that means it might price out a small % of buyers so be it! It's a Corvette and it's not meant to be afforded by everyone!

And FYI, there isn't a equivalent cheaper ship to jump into if price is the only factor.
If it starts at $75k for a base car, which means $80-85k with a few options plus tax on that then they will lose more than a small percentage of buyers. We will see an initial surge of orders for the folks with money that have to have one but once the initial hype dies down they will not sell close to 30k of these car per year at that price. .
The following users liked this post:
Rapid Fred (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:23 AM
C7nut
Pro

Received 337 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
The only way to *"moderately price a GS," is to buy the stripped 1LT. You'll be paying at least $11,000.00 more for the GS, just as you're doing now on the C7. That's why there's so many GS 1LTs. Price point.
Lets not forget most dealers are discounting 2019 C7's 15% or more these days.. Have to believe the ME, if its worth all the hype will be going at sticker at least for the first year or more.. When compared, it creates a huge street cost disparity between the FE and ME. Corvette fans then may realize the ME is a only a C7 with a transplanted engine. Some of the more savvy fans may take a second look at the C7 before it disappears and see the value of the most beautiful Corvette ever made by GM ..LOL

Last edited by C7nut; 11-18-2018 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

If the C8 cost anymore than about 5% more than the current product, there will not be a Corvette in 5 years imo.

The tariffs have had a significant impact on the cost to manufacturer cars. This alone will raise the actual cost to build these cars much more than the move to ME.

If a base Vette reaches the $80s- 90s, the buyers will start shopping for Porsches and the like at similar prices. But either way there would be less buyers for the C8 if that were the case.

The only good thing that would come of that, is the existing Vettes would hold values better. I mean at an approximate value of only $30K, my C6 is an incredible performance value and essentially new with 22K miles. And there are lot of these.

Last edited by Suns_PSD; 11-18-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Zaro Tundov (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:32 AM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts
Default Street Reality?

Originally Posted by C7nut
Lets not forget most dealers are discounting 2019 C7's 15% or more these days.. Have to believe the ME, if its worth all the hype will be going at sticker at least for the first year or more.. When compared, it creates a huge street cost disparity between the FE and ME. Corvette fans then may realize the ME is a only a C7 with a transplanted engine. Some of the more savvy fans may take a second look at the C7 before it disappears and see the value of the most beautiful Corvette ever made by GM ..LOL
Looking around at various large dealer pricing, you can get a stripped LT1 C7 coupe for about $49,000. Sources here deemed in the know say if you can afford a mid level C7 GS (I interpret mid level to be 2LT auto), then you are looking at a DISCOUNTED price of about $70,000. It is not completely clear to me if these sources were referencing the discounted GS price or the GS MSRP price. But let's be generous and use the average current discounted GS 2 LT auto price for comparison. Now to those prices, lets add an average of 5% tax on the sale. It is something we all have to pay..

So the base C7 stripper now sells at $49,450 and our discounted GS LT 2 rings the register at $73,500. These would be considered real world examples based on most highly regarded sources of information. That is a pricing delta of $24,050 or about 33%.

Again, these numbers are just based on well regarded C8 base stripped model estimated pricing from forum well placed sources and advertised discount pricing from the biggest Corvette dealers. Interesting also, is that some folks believe they will have choices between a DCT and manual when we were told repeatedly that the manual was a no go in the C8.

Another question comes to mind re the engine. There was a lot of talk for a while that the base engine would be an LT? version of the small block pushrod motor making 490-500 h/p. Lately we are hearing more about 4.2 (256 cubic inch) and 4.6 DOHC engines. If the 4.2 DOHC engine becomes the base, it will most certainly need to come with twin turbos, otherwise it will be gutless below 3300 RPM or so - and not what Corvette owners will accept. If the striper base C8 comes with the LT? small block, I can see pricing a bit lower - maybe around $69 to $70k. If the 4.2 DOHC is the base engine, I would hold closer to the $73,500 pricing.
Zaro Tundov (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:45 AM
1SG_Ret
Melting Slicks

Received 478 Likes on 283 Posts

I'm flabbergasted at the number of people believing that GM will price the Corvette out of reach for today's buyers. I expect a small price bump to MSRP from GM but the biggest increases will likely be greedy dealers marking the car up by $5-10K over sticker to 'ream" early adopters.
Corvette ED (11-20-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 10:46 AM
Ponchorello
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Puzzles me why anyone would think the ME will be priced below the new Audi TTRS...
Old 11-18-2018, 11:50 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Good point on the engine. That pushrod V8 has that good low end torque that a DOHC does t replicate. That American v8 ‘goodness’... mmmmm. Anyways, Looking forward to see what GM does with the whole package.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:54 AM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Ponchorello
Puzzles me why anyone would think the ME will be priced below the new Audi TTRS...
The Audi TTRS is NOT a Corvette competitor. Never has been.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:37 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Even if the price is 30% more, it will be 30%+ more car with a DCT, new chassis, even more exotic styling, new technologies, better materials, etc.

They may lose some of the low-end buyers, but gain high-end buyers since it's now going to be the best rear/mid engine sports car you can buy for the money (and still one of the lowest price rear/mid engined cars, period).

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 11-18-2018 at 12:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ArmchairArchitect:
64luke (11-20-2018), DaveFerrari458 (11-18-2018), JDSKY (11-19-2018), skank (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 12:40 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by Suns_PSD
If the C8 cost anymore than about 5% more than the current product, there will not be a Corvette in 5 years imo.

The tariffs have had a significant impact on the cost to manufacturer cars. This alone will raise the actual cost to build these cars much more than the move to ME.

If a base Vette reaches the $80s- 90s, the buyers will start shopping for Porsches and the like at similar prices. But either way there would be less buyers for the C8 if that were the case.

The only good thing that would come of that, is the existing Vettes would hold values better. I mean at an approximate value of only $30K, my C6 is an incredible performance value and essentially new with 22K miles. And there are lot of these.
Your post makes no sense! 5% is like less than $3K higher than the current price and then you say if it costs $80-90K?? And you seem to know a lot about actual building costs to make such a bold statement stating tariffs will cost more than actual building a ME car? LOL

And yes a C6 was an incredible car at its time and is a great option for someone wanting a used Corvette but that has nothing to do with what a ME C8 would cost....new vs. old.You can buy a used Lambo for $95K so does that mean Lmabo should not charge $250K+ for their new cars?

And as far as some jumping to Porsche, sure there may be some but there will be some Porsche owners jumping to a Corvette. That I can assure you specially if the car is drop dead gorgeous (which can't be said for majority of Porsche's) with give or take 500 HP and rumored knockout world class interior.
skank (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 01:31 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ArmchairArchitect
Even if the price is 30% more, it will be 30%+ more car with a DCT, new chassis, even more exotic styling, new technologies, better materials, etc.

They may lose some of the low-end buyers, but gain high-end buyers since it's now going to be the best rear/mid engine sports car you can buy for the money (and still one of the lowest price rear/mid engined cars, period).
If that turns out to be the case, it would be interesting to see if the corvette “value” formula can actually pull buyers from other brands. You know... those buyers for whom price is not a deciding factor on a purchase. If GM targets those buyers and alienates their established demographic, will they increase sales (by volume), break even, or see lower sales?
some think Chevy is going upscale with the C8. That’s fine, but it is an opinion and not fact, after all. I lean towards believing a car company wants to make profit with any car they produce above all other considerations. Could that not be the case? Absolutely. There are many examples of a company changing an established brand / formula and failing. More than those who suceed.
can Chevy Morph the Chevy Corvette into a legit super car brand? Yes, it’s possible. But, in order to do so they HAVE to kill the old brand. I think Chevy / GM isn’t going to do that. If this is the goal, they’d have more success with making the ME a Caddy. It’s less of an uphill climb to the new brand level.

Last edited by tcinla; 11-18-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2018, 01:51 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Welcome to C8 pricing thread number 94,633; brought to you by people with no idea of what they speak.
The following 4 users liked this post by MitchAlsup:
JerriVette (11-19-2018), ladder13 (11-19-2018), mschuyler (11-18-2018), VETTE-NV (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 02:13 PM
DaveFerrari458
Melting Slicks

Received 1,984 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla

If that turns out to be the case, it would be interesting to see if the corvette “value” formula can actually pull buyers from other brands. You know... those buyers for whom price is not a deciding factor on a purchase. If GM targets those buyers and alienates their established demographic, will they increase sales (by volume), real even, or see lower sales?
some think Chevy is going upscale with the C8. That’s fine, but it is an opinion and not fact, after all. I lean towards believing a car company wants to make profit with any car they produce above all other considerations. Could that not be the case? Absolutely. There are many examples of a company changing an established brand / formula and failing. More than those who suceed.
can Chevy Morph the Chevy Corvette into a legit super car brand? Yes, it’s possible. But, in order to do so they HAVE to kill the old brand. I think Chevy / GM isn’t going to do that. If this is the goal, they’d have more success with making the ME a Caddy. It’s less of an uphill climb to the new brand level.
I think it may be a good idea if GM keeps the FE Corvette for $60-140K and also offer the ME Corvette for$??? It may appease both set of buyers. In addition, their "established demographics" is not set in stone. Like Tadge said, some owners have been saving all their life for their dream car and some can afford to buy anything they want and there are all those in between. And finally, the Corvette as is is already pretty upscale that happens to be sold in pretty downscale dealerships. It is the most upscale car GM has and in fact their Halo car and no Cadillac has what Corvette has. The only way they do a Cadillac ME to go along to go with the Corvette is to throw it a bone and just pray they can sell a few copies and try to boost its brand image.
skank (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 05:42 PM
LIStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 461 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SG_Ret
I'm flabbergasted at the number of people believing that GM will price the Corvette out of reach for today's buyers. I expect a small price bump to MSRP from GM but the biggest increases will likely be greedy dealers marking the car up by $5-10K over sticker to 'ream" early adopters.
The one number in pricing everyone seems to be forgetting is that from model year 2015 to 2019 - 5 years, the C7 effectively had no price increase - the MSRP from March 2014 (when we had the $2,000 increase mid-year) went up a whopping $150, including $100 for freight. Inflation has been in total 8.8% in those 5 years (3/2014-11/2018), and I would expect GM to keep up with that.
Zaro Tundov (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:21 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
Your post makes no sense! 5% is like less than $3K higher than the current price and then you say if it costs $80-90K?? And you seem to know a lot about actual building costs to make such a bold statement stating tariffs will cost more than actual building a ME car? LOL

And yes a C6 was an incredible car at its time and is a great option for someone wanting a used Corvette but that has nothing to do with what a ME C8 would cost....new vs. old.You can buy a used Lambo for $95K so does that mean Lmabo should not charge $250K+ for their new cars?

And as far as some jumping to Porsche, sure there may be some but there will be some Porsche owners jumping to a Corvette. That I can assure you specially if the car is drop dead gorgeous (which can't be said for majority of Porsche's) with give or take 500 HP and rumored knockout world class interior.
SunsPSD thinks we are having a trade war

Get notified of new replies

To Base C8 Priced As Moderately Equipped Grand Sport? Big Disappointment!

Old 11-19-2018, 12:21 AM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,025 Posts

When I purchased my first brand new vette convertible in 1989, it listed for around $40,000 and after discounts, I purchased it for just over $30k. I think it's safe to say that as the vette improves after each generation is rolled out, there are nominal price increases. From 1989 to 2019 model year...30 years, we went from a $40k list price to a $70k list price (comparable comparison of a loaded 1989 convertible compared to a loaded 2019 convertible). I think it's safe to say, we will see some type of price increase although I don't think it will be as drastic as some have predicted.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:51 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

It will be from 60K to 170K....just so you know...how many of these stupid threads do we need? For christ sake...stop creating threads on non information already....

Last edited by Garret; 11-19-2018 at 12:51 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Garret:
ArmchairArchitect (11-19-2018), Boiler_81 (11-19-2018), VETTE-NV (11-19-2018), Zymurgy (11-19-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 06:44 AM
falcon5619
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
It will be from 60K to 170K....just so you know...how many of these stupid threads do we need? For christ sake...stop creating threads on non information already....
What do you expect to happen in this C8 forum? If there were only threads about C8 facts then there wouldn’t be a single thread in here. If it annoys you then why not just wait until GM makes a public announcement rather than even browsing this forum fo information.

Some folks enjoy speculating about the upcoming car and sharing their opinions. No harm no foul.

Last edited by falcon5619; 11-19-2018 at 06:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Base C8 Priced As Moderately Equipped Grand Sport? Big Disappointment!