Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8, everything we know for certain... (Input welcome)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 01:21 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,998 Likes on 2,887 Posts

We know nothing "for certain. " That's where we're at.
The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
We know nothing "for certain. " That's where we're at.
and this is the complete and simple truth.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 AM
Tonylmiller
Race Director

Received 526 Likes on 343 Posts

My input is that this is the most stupid, worthless thread that has ever been started on this forum. Why would someone even think about starting such a thread?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:05 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
My input is that this is the most stupid, worthless thread that has ever been started on this forum. Why would someone even think about starting such a thread?
Do you have eyes that actually work or do you just not pay attention at all? I know of 1 thread in the c4 section that literally made me want to take a brick to my skull because the guy was so dense...

Last edited by 84 4+3; 11-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:35 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
Do you have eyes that actually work or do you just not pay attention at all? I know of 1 thread in the c4 section that literally made me want to take a brick to my skull because the guy was so dense...

84 4+3
You obviously have not spent much time on this C8 Forum. Your requested list that you have ranted about has been going on for almost 1 year now. Read the List Thread below in it's entirety and you will have the most logical information pathway from the now famous Code Name ZERV Thread ( https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...name-zerv.html ) that went 36 pages and exposed some of the CADCAM files from GM. The thread below is the most thorough compilation of that information with participation by some of the most knowledgeable people on this Forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

Last edited by skank; 11-20-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:48 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by skank
84 4+3
You obviously have not spent much time on this C8 Forum. Your requested list that you have ranted about has been going on for 2 years now. Read this thread in it's entirety and you will have the most logical information pathway from the now famous ZERV Leaked Thread that went 38 pages. This is the most thorough compilation of that information with participation by some of the most knowledgeable people on this Forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
This was intended to be the exact opposite of said thread... of which I will admit I stopped following up on because I know I'll never end up buying this vehicle, whatever it may be, and putting in 20 hour days 6 days a week I got other more important things to do. I skim a few posts here and there and just try to have fun. I want no actual technical data in this thread at all. Aside from that, my justification is that I just can't afford it in this state. Maybe if I move but even then. I have priorities to deal with before I get the toys....

Sorry if the thought was misconstrued.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:54 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

No problem if you weren't serious about the info you requested.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:58 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

No problem if you weren't serious about the info you requested.
You honestly think they'd modify the C7 frame? When is the last time GM did that for any vette? C3? There was nothing serious in my thoughts at all.

Last edited by 84 4+3; 11-20-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:01 PM
skank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 84 4+3
You honestly think they'd modify the C7 frame? When is the last time GM did that for any vette? C3? There was nothing serious in my thoughts at all.
On my List thread there were a few guy's that really had some great analysis on the chassis design. Shaka, LT1 Z51, Joe C5, Firebirdfan, Elegant, and a few from myself. It appears to definitely be a 3 section chassis frame where the center section can be used for either mid engine or front engine configurations. There would then be 2 front versions and 2 rear versions that would change the chassis to either ME or FE. That would be a very logical way to standardize the overall wheelbase dimensions that appear to be exactly the same measurement. Either FE or ME chassis would then fit on the new Skillet line without having to change up the length of the carrier jig frame. Here are the comments below from my List thread that pertains to the chassis.

4. We evaluate engine placement as not ALL Corvettes necessarily need to be front-engine cars. Front engine still remains the best balance, best optimization of what we feel the car needs to be. (JoeC5)
5. He used the word "all" and not "the". I take that to mean that in a future Corvette offering, that not every Corvette will be front-engine configuration, or that every Corvette will be a mid engine configuration, but that there will be multiple engine placements available to chose from. (JoeC5)
6. That's one reason I'm inclined to believe that a front engine and a mid engine Corvette will be offered at the same time, as two distinct model formats. (JoeC5)
9. Space Frame Chassis has front and rear subframes. (LT1 Z51)(Shaka) Base
13. Advanced high-pressure die-cast aluminum or magnesium structural ribbed chassis stiffeners, struts, and brackets. (Skank) Base
31. Rear subframe is HUGE and is a mix of cast parts and welded tube. (Firebirdfan) Base
39. Frame looks to be similar to C7 with giant hydroformed rails (probably still aluminum) Hopefully with a fixed roof it'll be stiffer. (Firebirdfan) Base
47. Shared central structure with the FMR base car. (LT1 Z51) Base
60. New Bowling Green Plant manufacturing Advancements(Skillet System)to accommodate both FE and ME identical wheelbase. (Elegant) Base
62. Solid Hardtop option (Bolted in roof panel like C6 ZR1) for the ultimate structural rigidity ? (Skank) Base
69. Corvette will use an advanced mixed-material approach for the lightweight body structure of the upcoming Mid Engined ZORA. (Skank) Base
86. Left and right hand drive for all markets worldwide for C8 ME ZORA and C8 FE. (Skank) Base
Old 11-20-2018, 02:19 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

On my List thread there were a few guy's that really had some great analysis on the chassis design. Shaka, LT1 Z51, Joe C5, Firebirdfan, Elegant, and a few from myself. It appears to definitely be a 3 section chassis frame where the center section can be used for either mid engine or front engine configurations. There would then be 2 front versions and 2 rear versions that would change the chassis to either ME or FE. That would be a very logical way to standardize the overall wheelbase dimensions that appear to be exactly the same measurement. Either FE or ME chassis would then fit on the new Skillet line without having to change up the length of the carrier jig frame. Here are the comments below from my List thread that pertains to the chassis.

4. We evaluate engine placement as not ALL Corvettes necessarily need to be front-engine cars. Front engine still remains the best balance, best optimization of what we feel the car needs to be. (JoeC5)
5. He used the word "all" and not "the". I take that to mean that in a future Corvette offering, that not every Corvette will be front-engine configuration, or that every Corvette will be a mid engine configuration, but that there will be multiple engine placements available to chose from. (JoeC5)
6. That's one reason I'm inclined to believe that a front engine and a mid engine Corvette will be offered at the same time, as two distinct model formats. (JoeC5)
13. Advanced high-pressure die-cast aluminum or magnesium structural ribbed chassis stiffeners, struts, and brackets. (Skank) Base
31. Rear subframe is HUGE and is a mix of cast parts and welded tube. (Firebirdfan) Base
39. Frame looks to be similar to C7 with giant hydroformed rails (probably still aluminum) Hopefully with a fixed roof it'll be stiffer. (Firebirdfan) Base
60. New Bowling Green Plant manufacturing Advancements(Skillet System)to accommodate both FE and ME identical wheelbase. (Elegant) Base
62. Solid Hardtop option (Bolted in roof panel like C6 ZR1) for the ultimate structural rigidity ? (Skank) Base
69. Corvette will use an advanced mixed-material approach for the lightweight body structure of the upcoming Mid Engined ZORA. (Skank) Base
86. Left and right hand drive for all markets worldwide for C8 ME ZORA and C8 FE. (Skank) Base
the segmented frame is how gm did the trucks in all those various configurations iirc. I may actually have to dig back into that thread again later. It has really been a while.
skank (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:30 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
A) A mid-engine car is coming...
B) It will not have the old pushrod NA v8 but will have a new engine architecture
C) Spy shots are on the inter-webs
D) Chevy has said the C7 is the end of the FE line.
E) you will be able to get it in Red and probably Black.
jimmyb (11-23-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:40 PM
farne230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a three generation corvette owner (c5,c6,c7) and I am looking forward to owning this new mid-engine corvette; but honestly the proposed price has taken me back a few steps "not typically how Chevy prices their new line of corvettes.. The C-7 (C7R) was by far the most aggressive and trouble free corvette I have owned to date. I look forward to the C8 mid-engine but I may have to watch it go bye if the price is not lowered. One design feature I would like to see adopted for this new mid-engine corvette is a beautiful engine on display beneath the glass hatch-back. I would hate to see the corvette line fail because the price of this America icon has forced devoted corvette owners to turn away from owning one. I am optimistic GM will figure out a way for the devoted to own this car.
george vee (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 02:46 PM
NineVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 528 Likes on 275 Posts

Quiet day at work so thought I would take a peek over at the C8 discussion. What an excellent post and the tightly woven logic of it is unassailable to me. It postulates a number of things which are all feasible and certainly connects all of the dots, so to speak. Excellent marriage of both technical and business arguments. Great job!
skank (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Yarbie
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 218 Posts

Nothings known for certain. Pretty easy.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:05 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by farne230
I am a three generation corvette owner (c5,c6,c7) and I am looking forward to owning this new mid-engine corvette; but honestly the proposed price has taken me back a few steps "not typically how Chevy prices their new line of corvettes.. The C-7 (C7R) was by far the most aggressive and trouble free corvette I have owned to date. I look forward to the C8 mid-engine but I may have to watch it go bye if the price is not lowered. One design feature I would like to see adopted for this new mid-engine corvette is a beautiful engine on display beneath the glass hatch-back. I would hate to see the corvette line fail because the price of this America icon has forced devoted corvette owners to turn away from owning one. I am optimistic GM will figure out a way for the devoted to own this car.
There is no proposed price, only internet speculation. However, when making predictions, it's useful to consider what is the most likely scenario, considering GM's past very successful development and marketing strategy for Corvette. Thus, the vast majority believe there will be one ME platform, starting at a level affordable to most current owners and progressing into the mid, six-figure range. GM insiders have leaked info suggesting this to multiple sources.

It's hard to imagine that GM would radically depart from a very successful strategy, which has sold more sports cars than any other company in history. GM is notoriously risk-averse. For those who believe it's necessary to keep an FE performance offering, a redesigned Camaro could serve that purpose.

One platform on which different levels of performance can be bolted on is the most cost-effective approach for mass production of a 2-seat sports car in the volume GM expects and wants to maintain or grow. Chevrolet has many other vehicle designs and price ranges to offer consumers, much like Porsche does now. There is no indication GM wants to turn Corvette into a brand like Porsche, which would compete with both Chevrolet and other GM offerings.

However, things do change, and GM could indeed radically depart from past strategy. However, that's just less likely from a probability standpoint based upon the past successful strategy and added risk. Thus maintaining the current strategy is the highest probability outcome, and nothing has been leaked which would suggest otherwise.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-23-2018 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:50 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Rick Conti's latest vlog speaks a little to the C8. He says he's got solid inside info and has seen the car. With that basis, he linked "C8" to ME renderings. That implies the C8 is an ME and not FE. Confirmation? Not 'official' but is Rick can be considered 'credible'. His vlog also infers it's a Chevy and not a Cadillac so.... there's that.

Last edited by tcinla; 11-23-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:06 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
I wonder if the folks at Chevy / GM are watching all of this activity on the forums and the articles it spawned in other publications and are laughing their ***** off....
Tcinia, no wondering needed/necessary, i.e., the Corvette team members are mostly laughing at most of the threads/posts.

However, occasionally they are wincing when something real has been posted, and/or a render that gets fairly close has been posted.

Additionally, a few members here who know what is and what is not coming, are having fun laughing too.

Last edited by elegant; 11-23-2018 at 04:24 PM. Reason: typo fixed
skank (11-23-2018)

Quick Reply: C8, everything we know for certain... (Input welcome)