Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Deposit Accepted, 1st in the Country!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:12 PM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveFerrari458
This thread and some of its replies makes me really scratch my head for how some of you manage have an established career to make you afford a Banana let alone a Corvette!
I can only speak for myself. Does white collar crime count as a career?
Old 11-21-2018, 12:27 AM
flyforfun
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

Why would anyone put a deposit down on a car they know basically nothing about other than the fact it is a ME with no Manual option?
Old 11-21-2018, 06:55 AM
cgarnerspeed252
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey you are correct, I am in contact with 6 dealers and a few of them contacted me first. I have received an email from chevy stating they would possible fly me out for the reveal
Old 11-21-2018, 07:26 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

This is a funny thread. For, and about people who still live in a country where we can do as we wish---like buying a car---including make mistakes or wise choices. Without being shot or hanged. Be glad, not sad.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:12 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

The salesman I bought my last two new Vettes from tells me has been taking deposits for 4 years now. The few dollars of 'lost' interest on your deposit is the cost of getting you a place in line. Doesn't seem like a bad trade-off if you want to be an early adopter. If you get tired of waiting, you can get your deposit back, and there'll be plenty of folks behind you who will pony up. Seems like a minimal risk should you later decide to bail on the car. The one thing the salesman mentioned was that he was concerned that he will have enough allocation, and he didn't offer to take my deposit should I want to make one. I don't mind waiting a few years until things shake out a bit.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:37 AM
Oneslackr
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by cgarnerspeed252
Hey you are correct, I am in contact with 6 dealers and a few of them contacted me first. I have received an email from chevy stating they would possible fly me out for the reveal
Good luck. I can understand why you wouldn't mind being the first to get a C8 on YT. More views for your YT channel = more $$$ in your bank account. Though I don't get why the average person would be in rush to get a mass produced Chevy but to each their own.

I haven't watched Mike's channel in a long time. I wish I hadn't watched his 720S unveiling that you posted above. It makes me want to sell my car. It was just a reminder again how plain/pathetic/boring a C7 Vette looks sitting next to McLarens. A Vette might as well be a '70s station wagon with fake wood paneling sitting there among them. Lol McLarens aren't the best looking exotics but you can't complain about their performance & they're a relative bargain as far as supercars are concerned.

Last edited by Oneslackr; 11-21-2018 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 08:36 PM
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Hello everyone I know there has been lots and lots of post and threads on the C8 Mid Engine Corvette but I truly wanted to tell you I was able to put down a deposit on the Mid Engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL6WKOj1ucw

I have proof in the video!
Big deal......If allocations are limited, you will get a call from the dealer saying that you can get a fully optioned car for sticker plus $20,000......Dealers are going to milk this until supply exceeds demand.

Last edited by 455230; 11-21-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 12:58 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by AORoads
This is a funny thread. For, and about people who still live in a country where we can do as we wish---like buying a car---including make mistakes or wise choices. Without being shot or hanged. Be glad, not sad.
People are not to blame. DEALERS are to blame for taking their money in this FARCE.

GM should have told dealers not to do this. It just makes unhappy customers when others get their cars before them or they ask for their deposit returned. There's nothing to be gained in putting down a deposit. There's no guarantee of nothing and nothing is implied. Its a scam. The biggest Vette dealers will get their cars first and their best customers will get their cars earliest.

You can say its just a $100 scam or a $200 scam.

Its still a scam. And scams do not make happy customers.

Last edited by Sin City; 11-22-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 03:00 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by Sin City
People are not to blame. DEALERS are to blame for taking their money in this FARCE.

GM should have told dealers not to do this. It just makes unhappy customers when others get their cars before them or they ask for their deposit returned. There's nothing to be gained in putting down a deposit. There's no guarantee of nothing and nothing is implied. Its a scam. The biggest Vette dealers will get their cars first and their best customers will get their cars earliest.You can say its just a $100 scam or a $200 scam.Its still a scam. And scams do not make happy customers.
It is not a scam when you smartly choose the correct Corvette dealer and the correct Corvette salesperson. The smart ones here on CF choose to repeat buy from dealers with 1000% integrity. For example, every deposit Mike Furman (Mike@Criswell) takes is date and time coded. No one gets ahead of anyone in line.

Criswell is not the only honest forum dealer out there. MacMulkin also treats is customers with the identical integrity.

So while some choose to make while generalizations, assuming that the way some dishonest dealers are representative of all Corvette dealers, that is not the case.

I got in line with MacMulikin by placing my deposit on my current C7 Z06 several years before the first C7 arrived, and guess what happened, my order became the first C7 Z06 order he submitted. It was built that first week. The whole process was totally above board, completely transparent from end to end. They are a great dealership.

Mike@Criswell has been doing his “time and date stamped pre-ordering lists” for many years. His integrity is also without question, and why he has sold over 4,000 Corvettes — more than anyone else in the 66 year history of the car. Not once has anyone on this forum ever posted, that Mike dropped them down his ordering list. On the contrary, I and all see many earned accolades here, about how that person’s purchase from Mike went.

Those who choose to vilify the process, have not smartly yet chosen the right dealership/right salesperson combination, for those of us who have, are very happy customers.
The following 4 users liked this post by elegant:
ByByBMW (11-22-2018), Corvette ED (11-23-2018), ZL-1 (11-25-2018), Zymurgy (11-22-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 06:02 PM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Received 1,339 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by elegant

It is not a scam when you smartly choose the correct Corvette dealer and the correct Corvette salesperson. The smart ones here on CF choose to repeat buy from dealers with 1000% integrity. For example, every deposit Mike Furman (Mike@Criswell) takes is date and time coded. No one gets ahead of anyone in line.

Criswell is not the only honest forum dealer out there. MacMulkin also treats is customers with the identical integrity.

So while some choose to make while generalizations, assuming that the way some dishonest dealers are representative of all Corvette dealers, that is not the case.

I got in line with MacMulikin by placing my deposit on my current C7 Z06 several years before the first C7 arrived, and guess what happened, my order became the first C7 Z06 order he submitted. It was built that first week. The whole process was totally above board, completely transparent from end to end. They are a great dealership.

Mike@Criswell has been doing his “time and date stamped pre-ordering lists” for many years. His integrity is also without question, and why he has sold over 4,000 Corvettes — more than anyone else in the 66 year history of the car. Not once has anyone on this forum ever posted, that Mike dropped them down his ordering list. On the contrary, I and all see many earned accolades here, about how that person’s purchase from Mike went.

Those who choose to vilify the process, have not smartly yet chosen the right dealership/right salesperson combination, for those of us who have, are very happy customers.

All that is true about getting inline for the allocation , especially from Mac Mulkin,Crisewll etc.
But once the order is submitted, it is out of the dealers hands when production control will pick it up.

I've bought 3 from MacMulkin (C6, C7 Stingray & C7 ZO6!

I now have had a deposit for C8, placed for a month or so!

It's fully refundable up until order is placed.

Do I believe there will be a 170K ME? Yes but it won't be until later in production!
Those of us that want a nice C8 without having HI PO will be getting one, with reasonable pricing.

The stupid threads haven't hardly started yet!

Wait till the pics are released!

When the C6 came out they cried, has mouth like a fish.
C7 Stingray looks like it has braces.
It was endless about the C7 taillights!
Can't make all of them happy.

When I came home from the factory with my Stingray, folks followed me to see it!
The C7 ZO6 it the greatest car I've owned & think the C8 will top it!

Last edited by harley2; 11-22-2018 at 06:03 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by harley2:
elegant (11-22-2018), moon2605 (11-25-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 07:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Sin City

GM should have told dealers not to do this. It just makes unhappy customers when others get their cars before them or they ask for their deposit returned. There's nothing to be gained in putting down a deposit. There's no guarantee of nothing and nothing is implied. Its a scam. The biggest Vette dealers will get their cars first and their best customers will get their cars earliest.

You can say its just a $100 scam or a $200 scam.

Its still a scam. And scams do not make happy customers.
Let's clarify a bit: there's "nothing to be gained" by YOU putting down a deposit----based on who you work with. I don't doubt you, but don't doubt others either---it CAN be beneficial and a "gain" for someone else to put down a deposit. YOU may find it's a scam or nothing to be gained. But not everyone is working with the same people you are---that could be the difference.

The fact is, caveat emptor (let the buyer beware) exists in this country for a reason even tho the quote is in Latin. And so I go back to my previous post: We "live in a country where we can do as we wish---like buying a car---including make mistakes or wise choices."

For you, it's a "wise choice' NOT to put down a deposit. Your experience or belief is that it will be,a scam perpetrated on you if you do so. But, It doesn't HAVE to be a scam, nor is it universal to all deals and dealers.

I still say, be glad you have a choice and you have made yours. Others have made theirs as well per the posts above this one.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:49 PM
jagamajajaran
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,512 Likes on 2,317 Posts
C7 & C8 Events Correspondent
Tech Contributor
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year (track prepared)
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C7 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
2015 C7 of the Year
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I'm a little confused by GM saying they would "possibly" fly you out for the reveal. Why did they say "possibly?" What else can you share about the email you received?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:06 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Yay! I just put a deposit down on a C9, the first in the world!
The following 2 users liked this post by themonk:
bbison (11-25-2018), Michael A (11-23-2018)
Old 11-23-2018, 08:32 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Mike's YT channel has done well for him in a few short years considering it started out just for fun/hobby. I remember when he just got his 1st yellow Z06 1LZ (2016), after getting rid of his white Hellcat, & he was still working his 9 - 5 job. He said in a video way back then that when he started his channel he didn't even know that you could make money off of YT.
You’ve gotta be a full blown narcissist to be a youtuber.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:33 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Here we go again another Corvette launch buyers rushing to put deposits down to be first or near the top of a dealerships list. Many buyers will be happy but the flipside is many will be pissed off. Every time a new generation Corvette comes out many dealers will keep taking deposits and stringing customer along saying wait a little longer we will get your car. What happens when they don't get an allocation? They will blame Chevrolet or make some excuse or tell you to stay with us we will get you one in the second year.

Just because your first on the dealer's list doesn't mean your car will be the first one they get. Example when the C7 came out the guy who was first at my dealer was the 5th to get his car? Why the car was built first and was held in a quality audit than got parked in back of the lot. Once it got released to the shipper it took another two weeks until they were able to get to it on the lot to load it.

One little secret if you want to get your car built quick or move to the top of your dealer's list you will have to spend the $5,000 and do custom vin option? Custom vin option will allow you to pick the last two, three, four or five numbers of the vin. Street Speed 717 had his dealer order his car with vin 004 that is how he got an early built car? Kerbeck ordered vin 003 an orange convertible and vin 005 white convertible with the $5,000 custom vin option. So far this year 17 buyer for ZR1 used this option?

GM has said last year, not every Chevrolet dealer will be a C8 Corvette dealer? Since this is a totally new design GM will require dealers to spend money on special tools, sending techs to training school, sales training, showroom sales aids etc. Rest assured it will cost dealers $10,000 or more to be a C8 dealer?

The million dollar question will be how will GM give out allocations for the C8? Will it be based on all models of C7's sold? Will it be on how many ZO6/ZR1 sold? Will it be all on a dealers C7's sales and customer satisfaction feedback? GM will tell the dealers how many C8's they will receive for six months sometime this spring for fall production?
Old 11-23-2018, 11:10 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,919 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvette ED
One little secret if you want to get your car built quick or move to the top of your dealer's list you will have to spend the $5,000 and do custom vin option? Custom vin option will allow you to pick the last two, three, four or five numbers of the vin. Street Speed 717 had his dealer order his car with vin 004 that is how he got an early built car? Kerbeck ordered vin 003 an orange convertible and vin 005 white convertible with the $5,000 custom vin option. So far this year 17 buyer for ZR1 used this option?
If the dealer doesn't have allocation, or you are not in the first batch of their allocation, GM would never see this custom VIN option on your order, right?
Old 11-24-2018, 09:31 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Default High volume!

Most of us that have put down deposits have done so with High volume Corvette dealers!
My local dealer will Not see a C8 for long time, as he only sells a few vettes a year!

The dealers I'm talking about will sell the car at MSRP and mine has no Doc fee!
So I will pay cost of car and taxes in my home state. No other fees!

When the car is revealed along with the price, if I don't like either the car or the price!

I can get fully refunded!

I've done this with C6 and 2 C7's!

Get notified of new replies

To C8 Deposit Accepted, 1st in the Country!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:33 AM
harley2
Melting Slicks

Default High volume!

Most of us that have put down deposits have done so with High volume Corvette dealers!
My local dealer will Not see a C8 for long time, as he only sells a few vettes a year!

The dealers I'm talking about will sell the car at MSRP and mine has no Doc fee!
So I will pay cost of car and taxes in my home state. No other fees!

When the car is revealed along with the price, if I don't like either the car or the price!

I can get fully refunded!

I've done this with C6 and 2 C7's!

I'll spend my $$'s as I wish!

Old 11-24-2018, 09:43 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

the hype around this whether to put a deposit down on this car that hasn't been announced (although the "ZR1" was in the same position 2 yrs ago?) reminds me of a key & Peele skit which if you haven't seen it is hysterical and all of us can relate at some point with the annoyance of them.

but truthfully, you do earn a spot in a what will be a very long line and if you aren't dealing with Mike Furman on one of the other top few in the country, you risk that spot being nothing but ink on a piece of paper as they won't get allocations as quickly or as consistently.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 AM
Waytofastvette2006
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a new c7 in 14 don’t Think I will be doing that again.

It kinda looks bla to me from what I’ve seen so far

like bla so much I would rather have a used Gallardo or Hurrican atleast those cars are stunning ( to me )

But heck I could be wrong maybe the un camoed car will be different

Last edited by Waytofastvette2006; 11-25-2018 at 05:51 AM.

Quick Reply: C8 Deposit Accepted, 1st in the Country!