ME Battery Location? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette, be it mid-engine, Zora, or whatever form it may take.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ME Battery Location?

Old 11-24-2018, 01:56 PM
Klinn

Default ME Battery Location?

Has there been any indication, through the CAD drawings or whatever, of where the battery will be located in the ME?

My assumption would be in the front on the passenger side for weight distribution, but you know what they say about assumptions. I'm thinking about this at the moment since this is the time of year when the toys get put away for winter, which includes connecting up the battery tender.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2018, 02:11 PM
MikeG37
CF Senior Member

I think it'll be in the center a little forward of the base of the windshield. That looks like the battery tray to me.

Last edited by MikeG37; 11-24-2018 at 02:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeG37 For This Useful Post:
ArmchairArchitect (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 02:14 PM
MikeG37
CF Senior Member

That's also the spot Porsche uses.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:48 PM
Jeff V.
CF Senior Member

That's probably a safe assumption. Gallardo and R8 are the same way.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:56 PM
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,417 Posts

Agree, it will be in the front compartment just ahead of the windshield. That's an obvious and easy choice for a cool, dry location, and perfect for weight balance reasons.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-24-2018 at 02:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Foosh For This Useful Post:
elegant (11-24-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 03:08 PM
MitchAlsup
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Foosh View Post
Agree, it will be in the front compartment just ahead of the windshield. That's an obvious and easy choice for a cool, dry location, and perfect for weight balance reasons.
For CoG reasons, the battery should be mounted low in the chassis.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:21 PM
Foosh
CF Senior Member

Thanked 5,848 Times in 3,417 Posts

I said nothing about height, I said just in front of the windshield in that compartment. It could be any number of heights in that location, but everything in that compartment will be low in the chassis.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:58 PM
ByByBMW
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17

Yep, front compartment just like my Boxster. Mine is offset towards the passenger side though.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:04 PM
Tally Ho
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL

My F430's battery was located behind the front passenger foot well. It had a drop down panel to access it. Not the most comfortable position to get into to swap a battery out.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:35 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,729 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeG37 View Post
I think it'll be in the center a little forward of the base of the windshield. That looks like the battery tray to me.
Could be. First reaction is that very “beefy” structural member could support more than a battery, but ... Considering it could well have Start/Stop that requires an electric water pump as well as electric steering, perhaps like our BMW SUV it might also have a form of braking energy recover like the BMW uses.

The BMW only charges the very large battery during braking or coasting. It helps slow the car while charging. It has a meter on the dash showing when and how much it is working. It’s a very large AGM battery that can handle deep discharge and has lots of capacity.

Also that is a good location to maintain a low polar moment of inertia which the ME is about!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-26-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:55 PM
trivette
CF Senior Member

No matter where it's located would almost be an improvement on the C7 location. I thought the access on my C1 and C3 were a bit challenging but the C7 is worse since you need to pull up carpeting, etc. A service item should be afforded better access than this. Hoping for the front/center location that some are speculating.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:47 PM
JerryU
2017 GS, M7, 2.5LT
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,729 Posts

^^^
Hmm, in addition to putting it where it's best for car balance (i.e. put my street rod battery over the far right rear like the C7) they do what is easy for assembly! Repair or replacement comes secondary, perhaps tertiary!

Our Porsche Cayenne battery was under the driver's seat. Had to remove the seat, which with all of the wire connections and the plastic trim around the bottom was a PIA, much worse that the C7!

FUNNY VETTE BATTERY LOCATION STORY
Recall my '88 Vette required removing (actually rotating, a fender panel!) It was not obvious unless you had the service manual as I did or the Forum!

Had a good friend who was managing a large welding distributorship that brought his top sales folks to our facility for training (or as I called them internally, sales stimulation courses as it was to educate them on why our "stuff" was better while providing some basic technical education about welding and cutting processes.) They were there several days and on the last one took them and our product managers (who participated in the training) to dinner at restaurant with a private room we often used. He knew I had a Vette so told a story about his neighbor, who had a C4 Vette, asked if he knew how to change a battery. My friend John said sure! He proceeded to tell us when he saw the location he realized he needed to move the brake master cylinder and a frame support member. He proceeded to do both explaining in step by step detail and could how he could just get it out without having to disconnect brake lines as I recall.

I let him go though the whole story and all were laughing! Having just changed the battery in my C4 (left the interior lights on once too often) I then told him all it required was removing one bolt from the fender panel below the back of the clamshell hood and rotating the it 90 degrees and the battery slipped out sideways! We all had a good laugh including my friend John!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-29-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: