Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette possibly in danger?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Anyone who doesn't think people in different groups inside GM aren't lobbying to cut some other group instead of their group is naive. Cutting 25% of their white collar jobs is huge. That's 1/4 of their engineers, marketeers, designers, etc. Everyone is trying to point to the other guy as a way to save their own skins. 30K Vettes a year is less way less than the Cruze is making, which is being axed completely, along with it's plants. Just 3 years ago the Cruze was one of GM's star products. Today, people want mini- Suv's. GM was too slow to react.

Don't think about the plants. Think about the brains that make the products that go into those plants. Anyone at GM not working on new cross overs and electric vehicles now is subject to reassignment or the ax. Reassign their priorities and find out how slowly the wheel grinds.
The following users liked this post:
bebezote (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 05:25 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerradl1987
So I was reading on multiple News Outlets that GM is closing multiple factories, and killing off multiple vehicles like XTS, IMPALA, LACROSSE, VOLT, CT6, CRUZE and some others as well. with this happening and there not being any more sightings of the ME mules running around( other than the ones we cant see at the GM proving grounds in AZ & MI) Could GM possibly put a halt to the ME car? I know GM is cutting sedans in favor for crossovers and SUV's but it is something to think about.
Google how/why Ford is not touching the Mustang and you might begin to see why the Vette won't be touched.

It's prudent to trim underperforming lines, even though job cuts are hard...

Only thing to me that could derail the ME at this point is another global credit meltdown, leading to another GM bankruptcy.

Originally Posted by nyca
Bloodbath at GM. C8 will make it, but maybe its the last Corvette ever. GM itself may not be around in 10 years to build the C9.
I'd bet against your prediction with reasonable odds. It's a challenge for a big automaker to adapt to the new climate for sure, but over? Not nearly yet.

GM improving its operating margins is actually a good thing, which is why investors bid it up. As long as credit markets are good (so far, not 2008), it has cashflow (it does), and it can execute on a plan (prob good idea to keep Vette and ramp up on EV), it's ok.

It'd be one thing to bet against Aston Martin, which has had seven bankrupcies and is operating alone, trying to raise cash through IPO...

Last edited by Parcival; 11-26-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:29 PM
Philr56
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 36 Posts

Autoline Daily reports that GM is shuttering business in India, South Africa, Russia, and a few other countries. The fact that they are killing off sedans leads me to believe they are following Ford's lead and concentrating on the SUV/CUV market. What that means for the Corvette is still unknown. But I'm concerned that there's been absolutely no marketing of the C8 to date. By this time in 2013, teaser commercials were appearing. If GM has a master plan for the C8/Cadillac variant, this is the best-kept secret in the industry. No one is talking.
bebezote (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 06:41 PM
C2C3C4C6
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

GM's advertising sucks! Other car makers showcase their products with glamor...GM has a bunch of yahoos looking at trucks.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:00 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by Philr56
The fact that they are killing off sedans leads me to believe they are following Ford's lead and concentrating on the SUV/CUV market. What that means for the Corvette is still unknown..
Obviously GM could build a Corvette SUV and probably will because Corvette is their strongest nameplate. Electrification is coming too. Genovation has already electrified the Corvette with 800 hp. https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/st...nds-la-800-hp/
Old 11-26-2018, 07:04 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 774 Likes on 468 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

The following 2 users liked this post by F4Gary:
jimmyb (12-12-2018), ZERRY 316 (11-28-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Obviously GM could build a Corvette SUV and probably will because Corvette is their strongest nameplate. Electrification is coming too. Genovation has already electrified the Corvette with 800 hp. https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/st...nds-la-800-hp/

Yeah, and Genovation also stuck an electric motor and a huge battery in a C6 Z06 and "proudly" acclaimed that it would do 200 MPH, and only cost $300,000.

Hell, GM said , back in 2005, that the new 2006 C6 Z06 could hit 198 MPH in 100% pure stock form, straight from the factory, for just $65,000.

I bet my C6 Z06, with it's CAI and high flow heads and a tune will get that additional 2 MPH so I can claim that my Z06 will do 200 MPH, and I did it for way less that the additional $235,000 that the EV C6 Z06 cost.

Even a 100% pure stock 2009 C6 ZR1 at $120,000 with a measly 638 HP will do 205 MPH.

Gee, I wonder what would happen if I spend an additional $10,000 for an 80 pound Edelbrock supercharger, and have 657+HP and still have a measly 3250 pounds of weight to accelerate to 200+ MPH.

Do you know what the top speed of a 2019 C7 ZR1 is, with it's 755 HP ICE?

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-26-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:24 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JoesC5

Gee, I wonder what would happen if I spend an additional $10,000 for an 80 pound Edelbrock supercharger, and have 657+HP and still have a measly 3250 pounds of weight to accelerate to 200+ MPH.
You would get about 15 mpg while the GXE gets the equivalent of 50+ mpg. The 1960's are over and gas guzzlers are out.
The following 4 users liked this post by PCMIII:
ArmchairArchitect (11-27-2018), Morris9 (11-26-2018), sunsalem (11-27-2018), vndkshn (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by PCMIII
You would get about 15 mpg while the GXE gets the equivalent of 50+ mpg. The 1960's are over and gas guzzlers are out.
Wrong. Cruising down the highway at 70 MPH I now get 30+ MPG in my C6 Z06. adding a Edelbrock supercharger will not alter that as it only has 1/3 HP parasitic draw when not in boost(like what happens when just cruising down the highway and not racing Camry's).

Plus I don't have to send clothes ahead to motels along the way via FedEx when I want to do a two week road trip, and I can find a gas station anywhere to get another 450 miles of driving pleasure. Adding a supercharger under the hood does not eliminate any of the 22 cubic feet of cargo space in the rear of my Z06 as does adding a huge battery to an EV Corvette.

Have you ever considered how much money will have to be spent building additional electrical powerplants, transmission lines, and local sub-stations etc if all the present 17 million vehicles sold each year in the US were charging their batteries? Currently, we have all the infrastructure in place and paid for to supply the gasoline to fuel those 17 million vehicles that Americans purchase each year.

All that money to supply that additional electricity will show up in your increased utility bill each month, beyond what you are paying today.

My local utility is city owned and back in 2010 added a new 300MW generating plant costing $697,100,000 for the construction and a total of $1,200,000,000 when including financing cost. That was based on our increased needs for electricity without proving electricity for all those wonderful EV's that you believe can be operated on the "cheap".
Now multiply that $1.2 billion times the numfber of additional plants that would be needed nationwide.

Last edited by JoesC5; 11-26-2018 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Corvette survives w a sub brand doing SUVs and Crossovers. That’s why u use a skillet assembly line because there is no line.

Last edited by Dominic Sorresso; 11-26-2018 at 07:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:45 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,372 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
It would appear that a primary issue for the auto makers is what to do with sedans, sales are sharply down as crossovers fill the need. GM has been holding onto the prospect of continuing to build sedans but to what degree? I live not far from the Lordstown plant that makes the Cruze, they are working a single shift and its looking like they will not survive long term. They are trying to get another model to build but will GM Corp spend all that investment to re-fit, time will tell. So with people not buying sedans and factories employing thousands of people to build em the outlook is poor for those models and workers.

PC
The biggest problem GM had with the cruze was they actually put a solid driveline under it. The electronics are absolute crap (sister has one and I can attest to the laundry list of stupid crap that broke) but it is otherwise a stout car. They sold a ton of them and people are actually hanging onto them because they were pretty good. My buddy at a chevy dealer even said if they trade in the lease they tend to get another one or just end up buying it out. It's an econo crap box that I have a harder time getting out of than the C4 but it does its job... it's a girl car. I'm 5'10 and it just doesn't work for me. I see tons of them driving around too. They were pretty good for what they were. Imo, the facelift they gave it came a bit too late.

Anyway to the original question. This was coming for a while, the global market as a whole is down somewhat for automakers at the moment. Delay it perhaps but there is no impending doom or bankruptcy or anything like that lurking around the corner. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Bloodbath at GM. C8 will make it, but maybe its the last Corvette ever. GM itself may not be around in 10 years to build the C9.
I think that conclusion is way off base. They are just the third in a string of auto companies that will be doing the same thing. Autonomous electric vehicles will sell far fewer units than what the market has seen before. There is a fair number of people who aren't interested in driving and vehicle sharing is going to be a big thing. If you want a car you phone for one and it comes to pick you up and deliver you where you want to go. Will hit taxi's, limo's, light rail and personal vehicle ownership very hard. You don't want to be set up to manufacture and deliver millions of vehicles when there isn't a market for that many.

Bill
Old 11-26-2018, 08:19 PM
ANTIVNOM
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think the Corvette is in any danger NOW, however should GM cost cutting they just announced not be enough to keep the company headed in the right direction, then all bets are off.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:35 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Wrong. Cruising down the highway at 70 MPH I now get 30+ MPG in my C6 Z06.
You are living in the stone age. The future will be very different than the past you know.
ArmchairArchitect (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 08:58 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Remember Oldsmobile and Pontiac? Who predicted they would disappear? Nothing is forever.
bebezote (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:03 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

I see cut backs coming in Vette programs and also higher prices to justify making a low production vehicle. This CEO doesn't impress me much in caring about anything but making GM more profitable.

More profitable means resources are better spent making things a lot of people want to buy. She's already cutting white collar jobs, not just factory jobs and factories themselves.

It would not surprise me if Vette production is stopped if the C8 is not meeting expectations.

"Its just business".
bebezote (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:08 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C2C3C4C6
GM's advertising sucks! Other car makers showcase their products with glamor...GM has a bunch of yahoos looking at trucks.
GM's advertising is designed to try to reverse what most people's perception is of them. Look at what they talk about in the ads and you can see most of it is like "really? Well I would have never guessed!"

GM isn't trying to sell a specific car. They are trying to get people to believe something different than they believe about their products. That's why they do these.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette possibly in danger?

Old 11-26-2018, 09:27 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Corvette is fine. Chevy is fine. Buick, GMC, and Cadillac are fine. GM is fine.

They’re cutting slow-selling cars to shift more revenue towards Autonomy and EVs and to take precaution in the event of a national economic downfall. The same goes for cutting executive positions, but reducing the number of executives at GM will allow the company and its brands to make decisions and respond to market trends much quicker and much better than what is possible today. Parts sharing and platform sharing are making old parts and platforms useless, so the old production plants aren’t needed either.

GM will not only invest heavily in AVs and EVs, but the shift towards parts sharing(as done by Ford, VW group, and Daimler) will allow the quality and reliability of all GM products to improve while reducing production costs.

The C8 has received more funding than almost anything else GM has ever made, and it was already cancelled before the bankruptcy, and it WILL be built for its full life cycle as intended. It will introduce a new beginning for GM, with new materials like magnesium alloy and 3D-printed composites, as well as new tech features such as digital instrument clusters, adaptive engine mounts, and (possibly) high-performance hybrid-AWD. Of course, these things are new to GM and not the industry itself.

Last edited by Quinten33; 11-26-2018 at 09:28 PM.
ArmchairArchitect (11-27-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:34 PM
Quinten33
Burning Brakes

Received 536 Likes on 238 Posts

Wrong. Cruising down the highway at 70 MPH I now get 30+ MPG in my C6 Z06. adding a Edelbrock supercharger will not alter that as it only has 1/3 HP parasitic draw when not in boost(like what happens when just cruising down the highway and not racing Camry's).

Plus I don't have to send clothes ahead to motels along the way via FedEx when I want to do a two week road trip, and I can find a gas station anywhere to get another 450 miles of driving pleasure. Adding a supercharger under the hood does not eliminate any of the 22 cubic feet of cargo space in the rear of my Z06 as does adding a huge battery to an EV Corvette.

Have you ever considered how much money will have to be spent building additional electrical powerplants, transmission lines, and local sub-stations etc if all the present 17 million vehicles sold each year in the US were charging their batteries? Currently, we have all the infrastructure in place and paid for to supply the gasoline to fuel those 17 million vehicles that Americans purchase each year.

All that money to supply that additional electricity will show up in your increased utility bill each month, beyond what you are paying today.

My local utility is city owned and back in 2010 added a new 300MW generating plant costing $697,100,000 for the construction and a total of $1,200,000,000 when including financing cost. That was based on our increased needs for electricity without proving electricity for all those wonderful EV's that you believe can be operated on the "cheap".
Now multiply that $1.2 billion times the numfber of additional plants that would be needed nationwide.
And considering that most of our electricity is still coming from coal/fossil fuel power plants, electric cars will be like putting a band-aid on a bruise until we switch to sustainable energy sources.

Long live the V8

Last edited by Quinten33; 11-26-2018 at 09:37 PM.
CorvettoBrando (11-26-2018)
Old 11-26-2018, 09:49 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

I’d be sorry to see the cts(v) go. That was one of my backup plan items depending on how the C8 shaped up.

Quick Reply: Corvette possibly in danger?