Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question? Will Chevy Still Build The C7

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:31 PM
mjross
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 122 Posts

Default Question? Will Chevy Still Build The C7

Just wondering what your thoughts might be on the continued production of the C7. I’ve been watching the news and it seems that GM is having some serious problems. Building 2 dirrerent Corvettes may be a tall order with the cutbacks I’m hearing about. What’s your thoughts on this? Hmmmmm.....
Old 11-26-2018, 03:07 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Some say yes, some say no. Time will tell. No one outside of GM really knows.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:13 PM
mjross
Pro

Not true! There are some on here that think they know exactly what GM is going to do. However, I agree with you, only GM knows.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:17 PM
elegant
Safety Car

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Incorrect doomsday and incorrrect posts that no one outside of GM knows.. The Corvette ME is continuing full speed ahead. Here is an earlier automedia article from this morning.

Originally Posted by Automobile magazine: from earlier today
Unlike the Ford marque, GM isn’t getting out of sedans altogether. Past 2019 at least, it plans to continue production of the Chevrolet Malibu, Sonic and Spark, Buick Regal and the two new Cadillac sedans, as well as the Chevy Camaro and Corvette.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/g...uick-lacrosse/

Last edited by elegant; 11-26-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:19 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Why do people keep making the same threads? Take a second to read and you would see this is already being discussed.

That said, GM is not having problems and is simply responding to the lack of demand for cars in general and positioning themselves for a possible recession in the coming years. Ford is doing the same thing.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:29 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

I would think with the coming of the C8 ME that the C7 will end production at the end of March'19. GM/ Chevrolet will want to focus on the new Corvette which will be a 2020 and will arrive at dealerships around September of '19. There will be different models of the C8 as there are now with the C7 although not at introduction. The C7 from what I heard was not supposed to be a long run as they did with previous generations. Also C7 sales have been waning with the fact that it has been around for a time and buyers are in anticipation of the Mid Engine Corvette.The C7 was/is a great Corvette but it is time for something new. I think it would be a poor move on GM's part to produce the old and new at the same time.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:32 PM
mjross
Pro

Sorry! But I could not find anything in the search that I was looking for. Thank you thread police.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:10 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Received 627 Likes on 363 Posts

I cannot see how making two Corvettes will pay financially so I vote no.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:35 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Received 858 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by NY09C6
I cannot see how making two Corvettes will pay financially so I vote no.
Let me 'splain it:
One Corvette, Zora ME, will be priced to compete with high end Porsches.
One Corvette, Stingray, will be priced to compete with low end Porsches.

Porsche has been successfully building sports cars longer than Corvette and Porsches are sold all over the world. Seems like a good business model to follow.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:53 PM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PCMIII
Let me 'splain it:

Porsche has been successfully building sports cars longer than Corvette and Porsches are sold all over the world. Seems like a good business model to follow.
If you follow the leaks one high end Zora is clearly not what is planned. All leaked data shows 2-3 mid engine cars. One with tiny brakes and a NA 6.2. Clearly not a high end top dollar model.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:58 PM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

If you follow the leaks one high end Zora is clearly not what is planned. All leaked data shows 2-3 mid engine cars. One with tiny brakes and a NA 6.2. Clearly not a high end top dollar model.
GM doesn't leak data. Look what happened today. Nobody knew what was coming until it hit the fan. Of course logic and reason suggested that Cruze was history as well as Impala/LaCrosse/CTS which were all the same sedans that are doomed. Logic and reason suggest that Corvette will follow Porsche's strategy which is working well.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:34 PM
ojm
Le Mans Master

Received 202 Likes on 155 Posts

All this wait and hype type on a fantom wonder car we may or may no be able to
buy......like waiting to see who shot JR Ewing soap opera. Nothing ever happens or at snail speed at best.
Likely when we get the bill at this unseen automotive café we will fall over backwards and hit our heads on to a new Mustang or Helcat.

Patience is a virtue fugg dat.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,611 Likes on 6,621 Posts

Let me 'splain it:

I’ll ‘splain’ to you!

You just don’t want to believe the days of the big V8 are over! Your idea doesn’t fit laying off 14,800 folks as they just announced. If you read the article re the plant closing that automotive press who do have some inside information said:

”... that initial investments in modern gas and diesel engine technology, and the platforms that use them, have already been made.”...”GM now intends to prioritize future vehicle investments in its next-generation battery-electric architectures.”

The Corvette will have more efficient, smaller cid, double overhead cam, turbo engines. GM has made the tough decisions as revieled in today’s announcement. They are not becoming a Porsche! They will not continue making cars getting low mpg, especially a “small sedan” as the Corvette is called.

A volume and profit leader for them, the Silverado, is getting a 2.7 Liter, turbocharged, double overcam, efficient 4 cylinder engine in 2019. They sell over 550,000 of those a year and I’m sure many of the macho truck owner’s are not super happy about a 4 cylinder engine. Many of those truck owner’s are as passionate about them as some of us are Corvettes. “Times are a changing!”

Your business model is irrational for a large corporation like GM. Dream on!

PS: For a logical guess at a future Corvette, it will have an F1 KERS system with ~125 hp via an electric motor/generator and a small light weight battery that delivers power for a short duration, say ~30 seconds max. As in current F1, it will recharge the small battery when braking. Whatever power is required (up to ~125 hp) will be used for all typical acceleration from a stop to cruising speed before the gasoline engine starts. Can also be used at full power for a short duration “when desired.”

Last edited by JerryU; 11-27-2018 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:39 AM
bebezote
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mjross
Just wondering what your thoughts might be on the continued production of the C7. I’ve been watching the news and it seems that GM is having some serious problems. Building 2 dirrerent Corvettes may be a tall order with the cutbacks I’m hearing about. What’s your thoughts on this? Hmmmmm.....
this summer id of thought no way... now.. the c8 could be in trouble.. its kinda a mixed bag right now from my take.. there is a lot to consider for the c8 above just producing it... the biggest is warranty work and training all dealerships, charge backs, claw backs, etc on all agreements... gm may not have the stomach for it right now and may even delay it a year model.. just to see how things go... surprising developments today.. for sure at gm... lotsa people worried I bet
Old 11-27-2018, 04:32 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by mjross
Sorry! But I could not find anything in the search that I was looking for. Thank you thread police.
You are right. It is really hard to see one of the top listed threads in the C8 section is the same topic. I must have some special skills to figure that out.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:25 AM
stealthy08
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist

would there actually be buyers of a "new" old generation vettes when the new one is released. C7s are sitting on dealer lots unsold at dealers nearby where I live, some of them are still 2018's. My opinion is its not possible the c7 continues once the newest generation drops. If buyers hate the mid engine then its probably time to move on to another make/model imo. We'll find out in the near future though, I can at least say that with confidence ha
Old 11-27-2018, 09:09 AM
NY09C6
Le Mans Master

GM doesn't leak data. Look what happened today. Nobody knew what was coming until it hit the fan. Of course logic and reason suggested that Cruze was history as well as Impala/LaCrosse/CTS which were all the same sedans that are doomed. Logic and reason suggest that Corvette will follow Porsche's strategy which is working well.
Well we have elaborate cad drawings showing a NA ohv motor, engine order data also showing a 6.2 NA ohv motor and sightings of the cars with rather small base model brakes. If it walks talks and looks like a duck it likely is.

Get notified of new replies

To Question? Will Chevy Still Build The C7

Old 11-27-2018, 09:57 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU

I’ll ‘splain’ to you!

You just don’t want to believe the days of the big V8 are over!

The big block rat motor ain't coming back. It died 40 years ago.

The Blackwing small displacement V8, combined with electric motors, is the future.

The Porsche business model has been working for 70 years straight: dominating cars sold worldwide. Corvette would be wise to follow that model.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:00 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Well we have elaborate cad drawings showing a NA ohv motor, engine order data also showing a 6.2 NA ohv motor and sightings of the cars with rather small base model brakes. If it walks talks and looks like a duck it likely is.
You have no idea if those are final CADs. Now that the Blackwing is available, there is no reason not to use it. A small block Chevy motor in Zora will not be a big seller.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:03 AM
PCMIII
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stealthy08
would there actually be buyers of a "new" old generation vettes when the new one is released.
A C7 with the Blackwing powertrain would be very interesting, especially if the price is under $60K. Corvette has not changed the base Stingray in over 5 years, so not surprising that they are a hard sell.

Quick Reply: Question? Will Chevy Still Build The C7